Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

50 Worst Day #4

Go down 

50 Worst?
Yes
50 Worst Day #4 Vote_lcap50%50 Worst Day #4 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 6 ]
No
50 Worst Day #4 Vote_lcap50%50 Worst Day #4 Vote_rcap
 50% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 12

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:38 am

Young MC
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 9:38 am

I don't really know enough about dude...
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 12:27 pm

His first album is a classic IMO. So no...
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 12:33 pm

It's pretty even, we need more votes. Maybe I shouldn't have posted so many at one time.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 1:40 pm

I'm SHOCKED you would say that Alan.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 1:50 pm

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
I'm SHOCKED you would say that Alan.

Of course you are
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 1:53 pm

Al just because I think you've been a bitch lately doesn't mean I don't respect your overall opinion concerning hip hop. I'm sure you've heard much more Young Mc then I'd care to, and if you say that it's a classic, I'll take you at your word that it's dope for semi-corny 80's hip hop. I wouldn't like it, but I would go as far to say it's probably not wack if you're calling it a classic. Not everything is vitriol, some of it is just jokes and I think that MAYBE if you could get differentiate we wouldn't have a problem.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:14 pm

I think what you may have a hard time grasping, Nero, is that I love that poppy golden age pop-rap. I like a lot of it more than a lot of the hardcore/serious artists. I really like hip-hop from rappers who don't take themselves so seriously. From Young MC, I own "Stone Cold Rhymin'" (which I do feel is a classic), "Brainstorm" (which is like Stone Cold Rhymin' 2 - though not very well received) & "What's the Flavor?" (which is actually a lot jazzier).

However, Young MC never "sold out". Dude always stuck true to the type of music he made - pop-rap. And he made very good music IMO. He was a dope producer too. Plus, I find it hard to believe anyone could call Young's lyricism wack...especially on some of the cuts displayed on "Stone Cold Rhymin'".

Here's, his best track, lyrically, IMO:

EDIT: It's not embedding, so here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5WFc08czjo
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:17 pm

I don't have a hard time grasping it at all...? If I did I would keep expecting you to like other types of hip hop and genuinely be shocked when you like shit like this. I never said Young MC was wack or anything like that...Truthfully I've heard more of "Return of the One Hit Wonder" than "Stone Cold Rhymin". I wouldn't call it wack just not my cup of tea.

For the record, I like Tone Loc...
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:18 pm

Al just because I think you've been a bitch lately doesn't mean I don't respect your overall opinion concerning hip hop.

Just don't start with this stuff again man. Read the posts again, and you'll see the one who got bitchy. It definitely wasn't me.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:21 pm

I don't have a hard time grasping it at all...? If I did I would keep expecting you to like other types of hip hop and genuinely be shocked when you like shit like this.

You made a case saying Biggie and a few other more serious rappers were better. You ever think I may hold positive fun loving hip-hop to a higher regard than you?
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:27 pm

Al, who are you arguing with? That last post...I was agreeing with you and said it was fine, what's your point? Are you trying to start shit?
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:39 pm

Al, who are you arguing with? That last post...I was agreeing with you and said it was fine, what's your point? Are you trying to start shit?

Who's arguing? I'm certainly not. You really need to pull that card less. I'm afraid you misjudged about my last 30 posts or so.

It was a question, that seems to be (in my view) the root of all your confusion about my answers to your questions in our debate yesterday. I like positive/party/fun loving/"corny" hip-hop about the same, and in some cases more than series/hardcore rap. Obviously, there are exceptions to every rule. Trust me when I tell you I listen to DJJJ&TFP far more than Biggie.

And if you agreed with me in your last post, I'm not seeing it. Was it this?

I don't have a hard time grasping it at all...? If I did I would keep expecting you to like other types of hip hop and genuinely be shocked when you like shit like this.

Dude, like I said yesterday, sometimes I don't know what you are talking about. This is one of those times. lol
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:49 pm

Yeah, how hard is this to understand:

If I had a hard time grasping that you like pop-rap more than serious stuff I would keep expecting you to like other types of hip hop (which I don't) and be genuinely shocked when you like shit like this (Young Mc, and I'm not, hence my sarcastic post earlier).

????

And dude when you don't get something, don't try to dispute it...that makes me "not get what you're talkin about." It seems really suspect to me that you're the only person having trouble understanding me so either you're just being condescending or being provocative or...I dunno.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 2:59 pm

Yeah, how hard is this to understand:

If I had a hard time grasping that you like pop-rap more than serious stuff I would keep expecting you to like other types of hip hop (which I don't) and be genuinely shocked when you like shit like this (Young Mc, and I'm not, hence my sarcastic post earlier).

????

And dude when you don't get something, don't try to dispute it...that makes me "not get what you're talkin about." It seems really suspect to me that you're the only person having trouble understanding me so either you're just being condescending or being provocative or...I dunno.

Don't get upset man. If I responded to it, it was because I thought I knew what you were talking about.

I'm not being condescending at all. I am truly confused by some of the things you write, but usually how you write them.

I read the comment at least 10 times before. And I read it 5 times here, and honestly, I'm still confused by it. You're saying you don't have a hard time grasping the fact I like positive hip-hop? But you don't expect me to like other types more? So you aren't genuinely shocked that I like it more? I must be missing something here. Because your whole base of argument yesterday was that you were shocked by how much credit I gave the fresh prince.

Again, you're the one getting angry here by accusing me of being condescending and provoking you. Which couldn't be further from the truth. Quit taking it like that.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:09 pm

Dude...

Simple okay.

I know you prefer that type of hip hop.

If I didn't think you preferred that type of hip hop, I wouldn't make comments like "I'm shocked you'd say that Pounds" because that was sarcasm.

MEANING, simply, that statement was sarcastic, I know you like that type of hip hop, and so I make JOKING comments about being "shocked" you would like Young MC when I'm well aware you prefer that type of hip hop, hence, the "joke".

If I didn't think you liked that type of hip hop, I would expect you to prefer Biggie.

MEANING I KNOW you prefer poppy golden age hip hop, so I don't expect you to like Biggie more than Will Smith.

I was never shocked you liked Will Smith. I was shocked that anybody could OBJECTIVELY listen to Will Smith of ANY era and compare his storytelling abilities to the greats. You take that to mean that "serious is better than silly" which isn't what I'm saying. What I'm saying is the overall story telling ability of people like Slick Rick (who had sillier songs), Biggie, and Scarface is superior overall regardless of the "type" of music they're making. I said as much directly when I said if Kool G Rap made a fun party song with his polysyllabic breathless flow I would take that over Will Smith any day based on style and lyricism and not substance. This is where the whole "you can't look past your nose" comment came in because it seemed to me that you're unwilling to look past your preference and objectively judge artists' merits basd purely on talent and ability. This is another huge problem that Powell and I get into a lot because anybody that can listen to some one like Tech N9ne flow and say that Rakim is better than him in that department clearly is letting his bias get to him.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:22 pm

This is where the whole "you can't look past your nose" comment came in because it seemed to me that you're unwilling to look past your preference and objectively judge artists' merits basd purely on talent and ability.

OK, just to be clear, you do have a point about me personally playing the "I like him more, so I rate him higher" card. I word my posts in such a way that I make sure people know it's my opinion in such cases.

However, this is not one of those times. I'm not quite sure why you can't accept I sincerely & objectively feel that Will Smith (DJJJ&TFP era only) hangs right there with his peers in the golden age when it comes to lyricism & memorable songwriting/storytelling. It's ok if you don't believe that and if you feel others are better. It is the "golden age" after all. But that is my "objective" position on the issue, and it always has been. And it is not changing because I play all those artists and own multiple records by each you mentioned.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:47 pm

Which is fair enough, Al, I was just saying that was the ONLY thing I have trouble believing that anybody could objectively say that. If you feel that way, great, but I don't have a hard time accepting your preferences toward pop rap, it was just that ONE thing I was disagreeing with.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:51 pm

Good times. That's how I truly feel about the fresh prince. They were real time comments, as I was bumping him and jeff all day yesterday and today. I only got "Code Red" to go! lol
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 3:55 pm

Worst 50 vote from me.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 4:57 pm

I'm gonna say no. While I wasn't a huge fan of his, I can EASILY come up with 50 rappers worse than Young MC, maybe even 100.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 May 2009, 6:54 pm

Young MC is a good rapper, his songs just suck.
Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 8:50 am

Who's going to break the tie?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

50 Worst Day #4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 50 Worst Day #4   50 Worst Day #4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

50 Worst Day #4
Page 1 of 1