Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Empty
PostSubject: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 12:25 am

Well, before I start this DISCUSSION - I will get KJ's response out of the way first:

FUCK YOU PEDRO YOU ARE A NAS HATER NOTHING SAYS YOU COUNT I'M STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN LIKE 12:30!

With that, I really do think the whole "untitled" "bunny" drama was merely a huge marketing ploy by Nas AND Def Jam.

I don't think they were at odds. I think it was a unique marketing ploy to bring attention to the album, try to get people mad and talking, and possibly promote some sort of social awareness.

When it was all said and done, it reached its point - the album sold and got press.

People will say that the label and greedy stores and companies refused to sell an album titled "bunny" but that is simply not true.

You can go all the way back to Richard Pryor's "That Bunny's Crazy" - YGz "Street Bunny" - Sicx - "Bunny Deep" - and most recently, ODB's "Bunny, Please" and find that corporate America has no problem with the word being used on their product as long as it stands to sell - which any Nas album is in the position to sell.

You can't even try to say that they objected to it this time for it's socio-political message because if anything, Pryor made much more social-political commentary in his work than Nas does on an average album.

Signs point to an imaginary, yet brilliant, conflict created by Nas and Def Jam to promote his album - thoughts?
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:38 am

"FUCK YOU PEDRO YOU ARE A NAS HATER NOTHING SAYS YOU COUNT I'M STRAIGHT UP AND DOWN LIKE 12:30!"

lololol I'm straight up and down like 12:30 is a classic.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 2:43 am

WHO CARES??? THE ALBUM IS STILL SUPER DOPE UNLIKE YOUR NAS HATIN' SAWED OFF ASS!!!!

But, for real, the product was good, and that's all that I care about...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:05 am

Yeah, the music was good, but that's not the point. The point I think is that he used this imaginary controversy to get people fired up for it in ways they hadn't before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:14 am

Who cares though....the album embodied the "marketing ploy". Its not like this was Gucci Mane naming his album that than the whole album is about cars, jewels, and dope music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:21 am

SMH... I don't know why people get defensive like I am saying anything negative. I am just pointing out what I find as a fascinating marketing ploy that I think did a great job of coming off as genuine and getting a lot of people to buy into the hype.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:30 am

My fault...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:33 am

Also, Kevin, I am just asking people's opinion on this as well. Because this is just my theory - I have no proof, just something I noticed. I want to know - do people out there think the same? Or do y'all think this was something genuine where the labels really drew the line?

Was it the title coupled with the cover that separated this? Because the two biggest examples I gave earlier - Pryor and ODB - were both comedic in nature.

I just find the whole thing interesting is all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:58 am

Lionel Hutz wrote:
Also, Kevin, I am just asking people's opinion on this as well. Because this is just my theory - I have no proof, just something I noticed. I want to know - do people out there think the same? Or do y'all think this was something genuine where the labels really drew the line?

Was it the title coupled with the cover that separated this? Because the two biggest examples I gave earlier - Pryor and ODB - were both comedic in nature.

I just find the whole thing interesting is all.

There are notable examples of the n-word being taken out of album titles, Gravediggaz "N****mortis" the first that comes to my mind, and Raekwon's "Strictly For Cuban Linx N****z". But honestly, I think Nas is all about gimmicks these days. First with Hip Hop Is Dead, then with Untitled. Granted, they're both concept albums that fit their title but at the same time it's obvious he's trying to generate attention/excitement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 12:42 pm

Of course it was a marketing ploy. The N Bomb is the most contraversial word in the English language so whenever it's used it's gonna turn some heads and generate a reaction whether it's positive or negative.

But like most others said, the album was dope so nothing else really matters.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 1:22 pm

If you're trying to make money off music then it's a commercial endeavor. However that doesn't mean you can say something worthy of note.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 6:58 pm

I don't think it was a marketing ploy at all. That's really all I have to say about it, even if it is a topic about Nas. I didn't think the "Hip Hop Is Dead" thing was a marketing ploy either. Both topics, if you will, got people talking and sold albums, but overall I don't think it was a marketing ploy.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 10:09 pm

Wayne wrote:
I don't think it was a marketing ploy at all. That's really all I have to say about it, even if it is a topic about Nas. I didn't think the "Hip Hop Is Dead" thing was a marketing ploy either. Both topics, if you will, got people talking and sold albums, but overall I don't think it was a marketing ploy.

LOL, how wasn't it a marketing ploy? I personally don't care one way or another what he titles or untitles his albums. I'm informed enough to buy his albums regardless, but you can bet he benefitted from these album titles. Between people peeping albums because of controversial titles and Slang buying albums because of colorful artwork, it's amazing these artists can't sell better. LOL!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...   Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Nas' Bunny Was Just a Huge Marketing Ploy...
Page 1 of 1