Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rate This LP

Go down 
4 posters

Rate this LP
Rate This LP Vote_lcap60%Rate This LP Vote_rcap
 60% [ 6 ]
Rate This LP Vote_lcap0%Rate This LP Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Rate This LP Vote_lcap20%Rate This LP Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Rate This LP Vote_lcap20%Rate This LP Vote_rcap
 20% [ 2 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeThu 08 Apr 2010, 9:35 pm

Rate This LP Krs_on15
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeThu 08 Apr 2010, 10:34 pm

4.5 star rating for this classic from 1990.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeThu 08 Apr 2010, 10:41 pm

I give this a 4 star rating.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeThu 08 Apr 2010, 11:08 pm

5 star classic, love this album.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeThu 08 Apr 2010, 11:16 pm

This album has way too many skits to be a true 5 star classic and is not the best in his discog - further nullifying its 5 star status.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeThu 08 Apr 2010, 11:59 pm

Lionel Hutz wrote:
This album has way too many skits to be a true 5 star classic and is not the best in his discog - further nullifying its 5 star status.

I don't agree with that second part. Death Certificate and Amerikkkas Most are recognized as the best cube albums but that doesn't make The Predator any less of a classic. Same deal with KRS - Criminal Minded and By all Means...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 12:15 am

"Death Certificate and Amerikkkas Most are recognized as the best cube albums but that doesn't make The Predator any less of a classic. Same deal with KRS - Criminal Minded and By all Means..."

Lol, I think The Predator is Cube's seconds best, and Ghetto Music is KRS' second best.

This gets 5 stars from me, though
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 12:49 am

Personally, if I rate something 5 stars it is just as good as any other album I give five stars. It's nonsensical to me to try to somehow have degrees of 5 star albums - if it is not as good should it not have a lower rating to reflect that?

Seems like people have a problem giving accurate ratings to their favorite artists/albums sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 1:11 am

Irony.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 2:19 am

Shaun wrote:
"Death Certificate and Amerikkkas Most are recognized as the best cube albums but that doesn't make The Predator any less of a classic. Same deal with KRS - Criminal Minded and By all Means..."

Lol, I think The Predator is Cube's seconds best, and Ghetto Music is KRS' second best.

This gets 5 stars from me, though

Yeah i agree with the predator being second best, i was just talking about popular opinion. People usually argue between the first two. Lethal Injection is 5 stars to me as well.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 2:29 am

Lionel Hutz wrote:
Personally, if I rate something 5 stars it is just as good as any other album I give five stars. It's nonsensical to me to try to somehow have degrees of 5 star albums - if it is not as good should it not have a lower rating to reflect that?

Seems like people have a problem giving accurate ratings to their favorite artists/albums sometimes.

I get what you are saying but don't you have multiple 5 star classics from the same artists/groups but you can still pick the best album from them? Cube, EPMD, Redman, Geto Boys, KRS, Doom, Ice-T, UGK, Eric B & Rakim, Cypress Hill, Outkast and plenty of other fall into this category for me
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 2:39 am

Well Red, this is probably just a difference in words used and not necessarily opinion.

Within 5 star classics I do have certain preferences. Each album has its own unique vibe, even from the same artist, so I do prefer certain albums over other albums.

But that preference has more to do with the particular vibe or style of those albums and not necessarily any of those albums being better or worse than each other.

So as a UGK stan I prefer Too Hard To Swallow sometimes over Ridin' Dirty, but I wouldn't call either album better or worse in my opinion.

I think you're saying the same thing - out of a set of 5 star classics you have for KRS you do have your preferences, I just wouldn't necessarily equate that with one album being better or worse.

I think if someone is actually talking about an album being better than another album then there should be a rating difference to indicate that. But if it is just a preference between equal quality albums then rating multiple albums 5 stars and preferring one over another makes perfect sense.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 2:49 am

Yeah i agree completely. I should have said pick the favorite album from them not the best but fuck it you know what i mean
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 2:52 am

How many 5 star albums do you have from ugk?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 11:25 am

Lionel Hutz wrote:

CO SIGN!
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 11:30 am

Lionel Hutz wrote:

You're not the most objective guy to talk about KRS-One. In fact, you're the LEAST objective guy to talk about him. Most KRS fans would call this a classic or at least close to it.

And you come off as a complete hypocrite talking about people not giving accurate ratings to their fav artists, yet you have EVERY UGK album save for Dirty Money rated at 5 stars. GTFOH with that bullshit!
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 11:39 am

I don't care what most KRS fans would say. What I want to know is are KRS fans capable of looking at this album from the outside looking in and asking themselves truthfully - is everything on this album classic. If you sit there and listen to every track on here and dig every track equally and don't skip any skits then go ahead.

But if you really think there are better KRS albums out there or ones you don't skip anything on then this doesn't deserve a 5 star rating.

I hardly think giving this album a 4 star rating makes me the LEAST objective guy to talk about him. I enjoyed most of the songs, but the skits and length dragged this one down IMO.
Back to top Go down

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 11:46 am

Lionel Hutz wrote:
I don't care what most KRS fans would say. What I want to know is are KRS fans capable of looking at this album from the outside looking in and asking themselves truthfully - is everything on this album classic. If you sit there and listen to every track on here and dig every track equally and don't skip any skits then go ahead.

But if you really think there are better KRS albums out there or ones you don't skip anything on then this doesn't deserve a 5 star rating.

I hardly think giving this album a 4 star rating makes me the LEAST objective guy to talk about him. I enjoyed most of the songs, but the skits and length dragged this one down IMO.

I'm critical of everyone, even my favorites. This is personally my 3rd favorite KRS album. Yeah it has a lot of skits but the skits are entertaining.

The reason this is 5 stars to me is because there are no skip tracks on it and it hasn't lost any replay value over the years.

As for saying which 5 star joints are better than others. Just ask yourself which album from said artist do you reach for the most. For KRS-One, it's Criminal Minded. That said, I hold BAMN, Edutainment, Ghetto Music, and Return Of The Boom Bap in the same regard.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeFri 09 Apr 2010, 7:21 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
5 star classic, love this album.

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitimeSat 10 Apr 2010, 7:49 pm

I give this album 5 stars easily. This is the album that pretty much defines Hip Hop for me.

And how about that Kenny Parker Show? KRS-One at his finest. His flow is untouchable on that track. Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rate This LP Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate This LP   Rate This LP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rate This LP
Page 1 of 1