Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever

Go down 
+11
Alan
Z-membu
TheHazardous
Norfeest
D.Powell
Justin Linker
Half
Funk Seoul Brother
ACRID"
E. Taylor
T. Myers
15 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Empty
PostSubject: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 8:20 am

I challenge anyone to prove me wrong.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 8:36 am

It is hard to argue.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 8:37 am

1. They have at least 3 unquestioned classics, and a lot of people, myself included, believe they have 4.

2. Each classic sounds completely different than the others. As insignificant as that may be to some, that speaks volumes to me. Each album offers a different listening experience, and that's not something i can say for the few contenders to Kast's throne(Run DMC is a great example of this concept)

3. Kast is at the very least in the top 5 of most influential groups ever.

4. There really isn't a group who has been more original and more unique than Kast.

5. Andre 3000 is a top 25 MC of all time. In fact Andre is so great, he makes people look at Big Boi as the red headed step child. When in reality, Big Boi would slay 90% of mc's making hip hop music.
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 8:59 am

E. Taylor wrote:
It is hard to argue.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 9:40 am

You sure can make a case for them. While I only consider them to have 2 classics, Stankonia and their debut are no slouches. I also like the Love Below quite a bit. Underrated in my book.
If someone were to say they are the greatest group ever there really isn't much to quibble about. They are in my top 3.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 11:06 am

My favorite group, so I'm cool with the statement.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 11:52 am

Indeed. There's not but a couple songs I don't care for from them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 11:55 am

Only Powell would disagree.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 2:10 pm

Good for me Jeffrey...and believe me Iowa's Finest...I'm not the only one who would think this way...on this forum?? maybe...but that's okay too...it doesn't mean I'm wrong...just like Terry is not wrong for making his statement....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 3:24 pm

Personally I don't think they're the best ever. I prefer at least 5 groups over them HOWEVER I have no problem with anyone saying that they are the best.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 7:28 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:

Likewise. They occupy an exclusive space in rap music. No one has done what they've done the way they've done it and achieved the same level of success. No one...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 9:24 pm

A very strong candidate indeed.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 9:43 pm

Bushido Brown wrote:

Likewise. They occupy an exclusive space in rap music. No one has done what they've done the way they've done it and achieved the same level of success. No one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run%E2%80%93D.M.C.

I beg to differ and this shows some of the reasons why, not all but some of the reasons...but Outkast is a great group..no question about that....but I feel that Run-D.M.C. was better!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 9:50 pm

I give Outkast props for originality. They've got 3 classics and Andre is definitely a Top 25 MC of all time but they're not the GOAT IMO. They're probably in my Top 5-6 though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 10:15 pm

You seem to give Run DMC much more props for originality.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 11:03 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Bushido Brown wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run%E2%80%93D.M.C.

I beg to differ and this shows some of the reasons why, not all but some of the reasons...but Outkast is a great group..no question about that....but I feel that Run-D.M.C. was better!

D.Powell is correct. Run DMC trumps Outkast. If it weren't for Run DMC, there'd be no Outkast. But I still like Outkast and I think Andre 3000 could be ranked as one of the best emcees of all time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010, 11:18 pm

Lionel Hutz wrote:
You seem to give Run DMC much more props for originality.

I give Run DMC props for paving the way for damn near every rap act that's came out since, as do most rap acts. I'm sure Outkast would as well.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 6:17 pm

Why yes, I'd have to agree that Outkast is the best group ever even though the Beastie Boys are about even as far as my personal tastes go. But yeah, 4 classics in a row.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010, 8:31 pm

Even better then the Roots? Because The Roots are the all time greatest according to all of your votes. Big Grin
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 4:48 pm

Alan wrote:
Why yes, I'd have to agree that Outkast is the best group ever even though the Beastie Boys are about even as far as my personal tastes go. But yeah, 4 classics in a row.

they don't have 4 classics in row man..lol

now thats called reaching

if you want to give them 3 then thats cool but IMO Southernplayalistic is not a classic...it's 4.5 stars for me and Stankonia is not a classic either...that was a 4.25 stars effort IMO

to me they have 2...ATLiens and Aquemini and no more than 3 if you want to include the debut
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 5:10 pm

D.Powell wrote:

they don't have 4 classics in row man
..lol

if you want to give them 3 then thats cool but IMO Southernplayalistic is not a classic...it's 4.5 stars for me and Stankonia is not a classic either...that was a 4.25 stars effort IMO

to me they have 2...ATLiens and Aquemini and no more than 3 if you want to include the debut
Summed up my thoughts
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 5:12 pm

Faceman wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

they don't have 4 classics in row man
..lol

Summed up my thoughts

Didn't sum up mine. I think they have 4 classics, and the only one I could see people not considering a classic is Southernplayalistic. Surprised you guys don't like Stankonia that much.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 5:15 pm

Their first three are classics in the grand scheme of things. That much is not debatable. Sure, you're entitled to disagree, but that doesn't change anything. The only one that is debatable is Stankonia, and i personally prefer it over their debut.

Sorry fellas, but by my calculations, they got 4 classics in a row.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 6:46 pm

Don't get me wrong I like Stankonia but the whole album is too hit or miss for me to call it a classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 11:10 pm

Stankonia is NOT classic I have never really heard an universal call of it being classic either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 11:19 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Stankonia is NOT classic I have never really heard an universal call of it being classic either.

Well not in the streets it isn't... it's not hood enough...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010, 11:36 pm

Not just the streets mofo, period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 12:40 am

When I was in college everyone called it classic.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 12:42 am

KRob86 wrote:

universaly i feel like only ATLiens and Aquemini are regarded as non debatable classics
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 12:54 am

^ what he said
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 1:39 am

Tougher Than Leather>>>>>>>>Stankonia

And I don't consider either album classic.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 8:48 am

KJ Styles wrote:
Tougher Than Leather>>>>>>>>Stankonia

And I don't consider either album classic.

CO-SIGN!
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 9:01 am

I'll take the Roots, De La Soul, and Public Enemy. Each has at least as many classics as OutKast. Each showed great creativity and originality.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 9:31 am

A Tribe Called Quest (whom I have in front of 'Kast as well) is the only group who came real close to having 4 classics in a row IMO

People's Instinctive Travels And The Paths Of Rhythm-4.85 stars
The Low End Theory-5 stars
Midnight Marauders-5 stars
Beats,Rhymes and Life-4.50 stars

And you've got to keep in my mind that their debut IS considered a universal classic by most heads...The Source (back when that magazine still counted...gave the first 3 joints all 5 mics...they revisited Marauders and gave that 5 after it was out for about 4 years already...they admitted that they made a mistake there)

EPMD is another group who came very close to starting with 4 in a row as well:

Strictly Business-5 stars
Unfinished Business-5 stars
Business As Usual-5 stars
Business Never Personal-4.25 stars

again their first 3 ARE considered universal classics...this much is not debatable about them...I've got them very close to 'Kast as well..

Gangstarr is another group who has an incredible discography:

No More Mr. Nice Guy-4 stars
Step In The Arena-5 stars
Daily Operation-5 stars
Hard To Earn-5 stars
Moment Of Truth-5 stars
The Ownerz-4.50 stars

so if you look at it Gangstarr is the group with 4 classics in a row..after their debut..they started running on all cylinders and those albums I just named from what I know ARE universally respected as 5 star classic albums...where Outkast is beating them is on acclaim and recognizability...in other words way more people know about Outkast and what they have done but are they really that much better OVERALL as a group than Gangstarr...EPMD....or A Tribe Called Quest??? well that's all opinion based!

Run-D.M.C

Run-D.M.C.-5 stars
King Of Rock-5 stars
Raising Hell-5 stars
Tougher Than Leather-4.50 stars

they also have a pretty impressive resume so they can certainly stand up to Oukast in terms of quality hip-hop music...this all comes down to opinions as always but 'Kast most definitely has competition as the GOAT hip-hop group of all-time...there is no question about that!

Last edited by D.Powell on Sun 25 Apr 2010, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 9:32 am

Jason wrote:
I'll take the Roots, De La Soul, and Public Enemy. Each has at least as many classics as OutKast. Each showed great creativity and originality.

Good points Jason!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 11:39 am

Z-membu wrote:
Even better then the Roots? Because The Roots are the all time greatest according to all of your votes. Big Grin

Weren't discussions like this the whole reason for posting that list?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 1:30 pm

ATCQ and The Roots are my two favorite groups respectively.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 3:39 pm

"A Tribe Called Quest (whom I have in front of 'Kast as well) is the only group who came real close to having 4 classics in a row IMO"

BDP? If they count
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 4:51 pm

ATCQ had 3 classics in a row IMO. I didn't really feel BR&L as much as the first 3.

Gang Starr is a very strong contender as they had 4 in a row but Outkast still wins out for me. It's pretty cliche I know, but the diversity in Outkast's music is something that cannot be overlooked. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and Stankonia sound like they were made by two completely different groups. Both are classic albums. It's one thing for a group to master a specific sound (Gang Starr) but I think it's even more impressive for a group to maintain classic status while continually experimenting with their sound (Outkast).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 5:02 pm

ATCQ had 3 classics in a row IMO. I didn't really feel BR&L as much as the first 3.

Gang Starr is a very strong contender as they had 4 in a row but Outkast still wins out for me. It's pretty cliche I know, but the diversity in Outkast's music is something that cannot be overlooked. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik and Stankonia sound like they were made by two completely different groups. Both are classic albums. It's one thing for a group to master a specific sound (Gang Starr) but I think it's even more impressive for a group to maintain classic status while continually experimenting with their sound (Outkast).

Cosign. That was some of the realist ish you ever said. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 5:04 pm

Pookie The Bear wrote:

Cosign. That was some of the realist ish you ever said. Twisted Evil

Cosign as well
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 5:08 pm

Ditto, but I don't feel Stankonia as much as Kast's first 3 either. Next to All Eyez On Me, it's the most overrated album in this forum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 5:15 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

Ditto, but I don't feel Stankonia as much as Kast's first 3 either. Next to All Eyez On Me, it's the most overrated album in this forum.

Wouldn't that be K-Rino?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 5:17 pm

K-Rino is an artist. And I don't think you meant his self titled album...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 5:23 pm

K-Rino is indeed an artist - I just meant KJ always changes his "most overrated album on this forum" for his convenience.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 6:15 pm

Pookie The Bear wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Wouldn't that be K-Rino?

Rino is the most overrated artist in here IMO, but even among people in this forum save for you, Shaun, and Terry his last two albums aren't consensus classics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 6:18 pm

Me, Shaun and Terry are the only people that matter.

P-S-T - what the hell does that mean?

It mean's good taste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitimeSun 25 Apr 2010, 6:21 pm

Pookie The Bear wrote:
Me, Shaun and Terry are the only people that matter.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever   Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Outkast is the greatest hip hop group ever
Page 1 of 1