Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are lyics better now than they've ever been?

Go down 
+5
J. Harris
parker lewis
TheHazardous
D.Powell
Dang! Trotter
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 12:58 pm

there he goes "detecting" anger again...his spider sense is tingling..lol

my upbringing is what turned me into the man I am today lil luck...it made me able to see bullshit like your spouting off and recognize it for what it truly is..it made me able to call you and anyone else out on themselves and continue to make them look stupid.....lol

that upbringing and growing up in my hometown have done wonders for the character...I'm blessed and thankful I came up the way I did...now whats your excuse lil luck?? Honestly Parker I have so much fun conversing with you because I know you think your on point...and I know your not..which makes you an extremely easy target....they could never put you out on a battlefield...the war would be done in 10 mins....lol

oh and yeah my dude J-Live is middle of the road....he is good but not great...except to you of course and thats okay too...I have no problem with you feeling that way man...I just don't!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 1:07 pm

You should feel cheated by anything that contributed to your 'character', Powell. I know it might be difficult to see from where you're at, but you are a douche bag. And you're fucking stupid. If anybody cared they would've made sure you understood certain basics along the way. I'm sorry about this, little buddy. Maybe I should've kept this from you. Ignorance is bliss, after all. I'm just hoping its not too late for you to turn it around.

Good luck, baby bubba!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 1:14 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
You should feel cheated by anything that contributed to your 'character', Powell. I know it might be difficult to see from where you're at, but you are a douche bag. And you're fucking stupid. If anybody cared they would've made sure you understood certain basics along the way. I'm sorry about this, little buddy. Maybe I should've kept this from you. Ignorance is bliss, after all. I'm just hoping its not too late for you to turn it around.

Good luck, baby bubba!

And your sitting there talking about me being "angry"....LMAO!

this lil elf is pissed off...lol

as for you thinking I'm a "douche bag" I can only LMAO!

what you think means nothing in my life....your internet my dude...real life is where it matters and counts...I don't take things on this forum seriously at all...I own my own business...I'm a great father and husband...I take care of my family and a few others...I help in the community...so what lil parker loooooOOuuUUiis my home skillet from the internet thinks is supposed to mean what?? LMAO

your a funny dude man.....calm down and take a valium...lol
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 1:19 pm

Are you still upset about yesterday, my simple friend? Is that why we still can't have a decent discussion today?

Tell you what, anytime you want to validate your "facts" for us, just answer the question.

What system do you use to factually prove that one album is better than another? Or are your "facts", in fact, just one stupid asshole's opinion?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 1:21 pm

I can tell ot means nothing the way you're throwing all your personal info out there for validation. You are one dumb fucker, aren't you?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 1:24 pm

I'm not hiding anything Parker and I'm certainly not scurred my dude....now quit being a jealous chick and get yourself together man! it's not too late!
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:05 pm

Quote :
I think a point you're missing here, isn't regards to form or technique but the lyrical devices mc's are using and the rates at which they're being used. Granted, polysyllabic rhyming has been around since the 80's and Im' not arguing that, but I believe the frequency you hear mc's use it has grown by leaps and bounds. Also, the use of similes in punchlines has become a much more clever affair, as opposed to "trying to find a rhyme" route so many used in the 80's and 90's. I think the only place we've lost points with lyrics is the more-as-less approach, with very few going the Scarface/Tupac route in this regard, except perhaps Slug.

Coming at it from that direction, I think this idea does have more validity. There are probably more good lyricists out there, more rappers that have a grasp of those different techniques.

Quote :
Also, I think a LOT of what you're taling about here has to do with delivery and flow, which of course has a direct relationship with lyrics but isn't exactly dealing with the topic (unless you were just using that as an anology, then nevermind).

I don't think I said anything specific to delivery/flow.

Quote :
I would argue that 10 years ago, you wouldn't have had 4 mc's the caliber of Joe Buddens, Crooked I, Joell Ortiz and Royce da 5'9" to form a group like Slaughterhouse.

Twelve years ago, Canibus, Ras Kass, Killah Priest, and Kurupt formed the Horsemen.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:24 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
But even Helta Skelta or Ghost in his prime aren't competing with the new guard lyricists. Apathy, Vakill, Access Immortal, Slaine, Oktober. These guys are performing on a whole new level. You might not like their music as much, but that's not what were talking about.

LMAO please those guys only spit corny similes and punchlines, not what i call "good lyricism"
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:27 pm

"I would argue that 10 years ago, you wouldn't have had 4 mc's the caliber of Joe Buddens, Crooked I, Joell Ortiz and Royce da 5'9" to form a group like Slaughterhouse."

umm Budden sucks, Crooked has a generic voice but hes decent, i like Royce but hes losing a step, and Joell isnt good

there corny punchline rappers for the most part besides Royce and Buddens is an emotional loser

theres a reason they all got dropped from their major and had to form a group of industry rejects to make any noise

still much love to Royce though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:42 pm

Slaughterhouse is overrated.

Souls Of Michief, Goodie Mob, The Pharcyde, and Bone Thugs are four member groups that were around a decade ago and they all smash Slaughterhouse.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:48 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:
But even Helta Skelta or Ghost in his prime aren't competing with the new guard lyricists. Apathy, Vakill, Access Immortal, Slaine, Oktober. These guys are performing on a whole new level. You might not like their music as much, but that's not what were talking about.

LMAO please those guys only spit corny similes and punchlines, not what i call "good lyricism"

Acc,Oktober, and Apathy do not fit that description. While I agree that Apathy runs battle lyrics quite a bit, and Vakill primarily battles, Slaine is primarily storytelling. Acc and Oktober, you're not even close.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:52 pm

Oktober is dope. I only got one album by him, but it's very solid.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:53 pm

Whether or not they use similes and punchlines is irrelevant to the discussion, anyway. We're talking about how they blend their words together.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:58 pm

At least, that's not what I was thinking.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 2:58 pm

Ghostface does things with language those guys couldn't. He has a sense for connections and imagery that is highly creative.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 3:34 pm

Jason wrote:
Ghostface does things with language those guys couldn't. He has a sense for connections and imagery that is highly creative.

I'm basically talking about those "what the fuck did he just say?" lyrics. I have to agree Ghost has more than his fair share of those versus.

The guys I'm mentioning run entire albums that way, though.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 3:35 pm

Have you heard American Me or Art of Raw?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 3:48 pm

I've heard American Me. I don't think I've heard Art of Raw, but I've heard Broke Minds Think Alike and Projekt Building. I think these guys are solid rappers, but they don't do anything I haven't heard from 100 other guys. They're pretty run of the mill to me, and they make the kind of solid, safe underground stuff I've pretty much stopped listening to at this point, because they don't do anything to really push things to the next level and establish their own unique, lyrical space.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 4:14 pm

Alright, then who is pushing those boundaries? To give me some perspective to your argument.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 4:22 pm

I do agree with one name you had, Vakill. He's too locked into the battle rap realm, but he definitely has unique ideas lyrically. Some others would include Aesop Rock, Lupe Fiasco (when he isn't trying to write a single), Edan, Sage Francis, Qwel, Mos Def (when he's not being lazy).
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 4:33 pm

Yeah, technically I would put Aesop Rock in there. I just don't think of him for some reason. Busdriver too, for that matter.

I really don't care much for Sage Francis. I'll admit, he certainly qualifies for what you're talking about. It's dumbfounding to me that you class Lupe in any set of greatness. Edan and Qwel are totally foreign to me. Based on this convo, would I like them?

Mos Def, like you said, is like Ghost to me. Always on point with flashes of another level here and there. I have more respect for him this way than it sounds right here.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 4:43 pm

Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 4:46 pm

Edan is excellent. Only 2 albums, but both are 5 stars IMO.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 5:05 pm

Yes. Dope. I think Qwel is more trotter's style. I have a hard time with that drone approach. It sounds like something I could get into. I think we are talking about the same thing, but have different musical tastes.

Check Art of Raw. The lyrical content is more creative than you'd expect.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 5:08 pm

Alan wrote:

I'd give Beauty and the Beat a 4.5, and Primitive Plus a 4. I can't really get into PP for some reason. Definitely one of the nicer new artists though. Did you ever listen to Echo Party?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 5:52 pm

ok, i want to clarify my statements.

Im not saying those guys you listed were wack i just think their type of rapping style is overrated in general...the whole battle/simile/punchline style overusing the words "like" and "as". I'd much rather hear creative imagery, slang, storytelling, drug rap, street shit, etc....than this internet nerd punchline stuff where rappers are only rapping "to rap" and be a "better mc than you" rather than expressing rap as an art form
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 6:09 pm

I think Art of War will surprise you. It sounds more like an issue with content than verbal Mic skills.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 6:27 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I think Art of War will surprise you. It sounds more like an issue with content than verbal Mic skills.

im assuming you mean Art of Raw right? and ill check it out
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 6:59 pm

Yeah typo
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 9:00 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
"I would argue that 10 years ago, you wouldn't have had 4 mc's the caliber of Joe Buddens, Crooked I, Joell Ortiz and Royce da 5'9" to form a group like Slaughterhouse."

umm Budden sucks, Crooked has a generic voice but hes decent, i like Royce but hes losing a step, and Joell isnt good

there corny punchline rappers for the most part besides Royce and Buddens is an emotional loser

theres a reason they all got dropped from their major and had to form a group of industry rejects to make any noise

still much love to Royce though...

I agree. Joe Budden is straight garbage. Crooked I is nothing spectacular. Royce has alwys been bland to me. I don't think these guys are the peak of lyricism today
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 9:07 pm

Slang, do I really have to find the posts where you were dick riding Buddens last year? And Crooked I>>>>all the wack Wu benchwarmers you jerk off to.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 9:08 pm

Tommy Gunn and BusDriver are indeed the dopest lyricists today.

On another note I think Alan only dates Black girls
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 01 May 2010, 9:43 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
Alan wrote:

I'd give Beauty and the Beat a 4.5, and Primitive Plus a 4. I can't really get into PP for some reason. Definitely one of the nicer new artists though. Did you ever listen to Echo Party?

No, I haven't heard Echo Party yet. I think I like Primitive Plus a little more. Both are completely different. Both personal classics.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 02 May 2010, 11:47 am

N3R0N0N Of 0nslaught3r wrote:
Slang, do I really have to find the posts where you were dick riding Buddens last year? And Crooked I>>>>all the wack Wu benchwarmers you jerk off to.

ummm I HAVE NEVER LIKE BUDDENS, and ive never dickrode him

and id take Killah Priest, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Killa Sin and LA the Darkman EASILY over Crooked I
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 02 May 2010, 11:52 am

"Tommy Gunn and BusDriver are indeed the dopest lyricists today."

Big Grin Big Grin

gotta love it baby bubba!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are lyics better now than they've ever been?   Are lyics better now than they've ever been? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are lyics better now than they've ever been?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: