Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Better Producer
Dr. Dre
Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Vote_lcap47%Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Vote_rcap
 47% [ 9 ]
DJ Quik
Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Vote_lcap53%Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Vote_rcap
 53% [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage

Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Empty
PostSubject: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 9:04 am

Surprised at some opinions in another thread on this....so who ya got?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 10:11 am

I think Dre had a better ear for music, and therefore his albums may be slightly better and more popular. However, there is no doubt in my mind that Quik is the more talented producer. He has a much wider range than Dre. His sound is more rich and layered than Dre's too. The best way for me to describe them is that Dre is a great producer, and Quik is a great musician that produces.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 11:26 am

I was listening to "Under The Influence" yesterday and it is Quik without a doubt. If Quik only dropped one CD every 10 years and then saved his best beats for guest spots he'd be easily GOAT producer. Think about it... that's what Dre has done so no wonder people think his beats bang so much. Quik on the other hand has dropped a lot more albums and production for more people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 11:35 am

I co-sign Terry and want to add Dre had the bigger impact but that is also due to him being first and having a slew of talent on hand. Quik is more diverse to me and has the quality and quanity. It's a close call though and they both are some of the best.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm

Dre by 10000 football fields
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSat 06 Jun 2009, 1:10 pm

That was a well thought out and compelling argument KJ. You've TOTALLY changed my mind.

But yeah, overall I think similar expectations (I've read that both have some CRAZY studio sessions) but Quik can read sheet music, play more istruments, is far more prolific and cosistent (he never dropped Aftermath Presents...to say the least). I'm giving it to Quik, without a doubt. It's definitely close, though. I was really hopig someday Quik would get with a dude like Eminem (an extremely lyrical and new school dude, I mean) and produce some albums but it's looking like it's getting too late for that. Maybe Quik can bring Kurupt back aroud and produce some banging albums from him before he retires.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 11:01 am

Quik, without a doubt is the best IMO
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 9:20 pm

My take on the whole thing...

For me, Dre is the best producer ever. Better than Premier, RZA, Marley Marl, Pete Rock, Timbaland, Kanye and better than Quik....

Most of those producers admit to or imply the fact that Dre is the best. Quik himself counts Dre as one of his influences. From an interview:

AHH: Who was your musical influences coming up?

Quik: Anybody that�??s funky! George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Glen Goins, Bernie Worrell, Eddie Hazel, ConFunkShun, The Whispers, Shalomar, Star Point, Dr. Dre, Quincy Jones, anybody that did fly, funky ass music.

Notice that Dre is the only hip hop producer there?

Rza referred to him as a "master" and that "there is nobody who ever touched the board that made Hip-Hop sound as clear, heavy and strong as he did".

Even Premier said in an interview that he wishes he could make his own "Chronic". Kanye West said he wanted Dre to mix his album.

Even underground heads like DJ Shadow & Automator count him as an influence....

These guys wouldn't pay Dre lip service,,,most hip hop artists are too proud and egotistic to say that someone else is better than them. So, if these producers praise Dre, then that means alot.

I think people forget how deep Dre's portfolio runs...

The man has evolved, innovated, and created so many great stuff over the years; that he has paced and influenced so many producers. Check out his old stuff like "Dre's Beats" & "Surgery". These were much more complex beats than any beats Marley Marl or any other producer was doing at that time.

Compare Straight Outta Compton with all the albums that came out before and during that time. The production there was very complex -- layered beats, multiple samples, great mixing, etc. Efil4Zaggin was also head and shoulders above ANY album during the time it came out. Check the first two songs of that album......they were far more dense and funkier than any Bomb Squad song.

Dre is the only guy that can re-sample his own stuff and make it even better the second time around (i.e. B**ch Please 1 & 2 and "The Watcher 1& 2").

If we stick with the classic definition of what a producer is, then we shouldn't just focus on making beats. A producer oversees all aspects of the songs -- even how the singer (rapper) sounds. Dre does this well. Eminem's Marshall Mathers had him doing all sorts of different flows, voices, etc. Eminem said he never knew he could do so many things with his voice before he met Dre. Listen to Snoop on a Dre beat versus Snoop on another producer's. Can anyone refute the fact that Doggstyle was Snoop's ONLY classic album (maybe Last meal too, but then again, Dre was on that also). 50 Centsounds much better on a Dre beat as well... Even Busta Rhyme's evolved with Dre (i.e. "Holla"). No other producer has that talent. If Premier had that, then why does Guru sound the same in all their albums?

Also, listen to songs that use the same samples as Dre songs and you would see how better he uses them...

Dre's music is much more diverse, complex, and well made than any other producer.

Dre has either started or done it all -- G-Funk, Rock Infused Rap (ie DOC's album), R&B (Michel'le), Electro (World Class Wrecking Crew), 808s (old NWA), he has produced for the greatest rappers: Cube, Ra, KRS, DOC, Snoop, Jay-Z, Nas, Ice T, Eminem, Pac, Ras Kass, etc.

He has been sought out by non rappers like Nine Inch Nails, has worked with Burt Bacharach, was supposed to work with Guns & Roses. He has remixed for Rolling Stones. He produced We're All In The Same Gang! I was re-reading the 150th issue of the Source, and if you count all the 5 Mic albums and pre-Source classic albums they listed there, Dre has the most albums as a producer.

Finally, here's a rundown of some of his work: Straight Outta Compton, Efil4zaggin, No One Can Do It Better, Eazy Duz It, Chronic, 2001, Doggystyle, Marshall Matthers, add all the classic singles and man, Dre IS the greatest of all time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 9:27 pm

A616...ah god. I respect your opinion and those are well thought out reasons, but you neglected to refute anything anybody else has said. Just because great people call him great doesn't MAKE him great. I.E.: The Mona Lisa. Why is this the most famous painting in the western world? Because Da Vinci said it was his favorite (for a really perverse reason), but it's really just an average painting by an amazing artist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeSun 07 Jun 2009, 9:27 pm

damn a616, very, very well said. nobody can fuck with that, dre da bomb diggity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:13 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Just because great people call him great doesn't MAKE him great. I.E.: The Mona Lisa. Why is this the most famous painting in the western world? Because Da Vinci said it was his favorite (for a really perverse reason), but it's really just an average painting by an amazing artist.

I get you man, but remember, the fact that those guys said Dre's great isn't the ONLY reason that makes him great. Those testimonials are actually added proof to my argument. Still, you can't deny that those people are credible guys - Rza, Primo, Quik, etc.

As for the Mona Lisa, I was very cynical about it at first, you know, thinking it was too hyped up, that when I went to the Louvre, I was too cynical about seeing it. But man, when I did see it, I was blown away. It s a great piece of work....that lives up to all the hype
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:26 am

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
A616...ah god. I respect your opinion and those are well thought out reasons, but you neglected to refute anything anybody else has said.

if you mean his inconsistencies (ie Aftermath Presents, etc). I only have this analogy,,,,,MJ playing for the Wizards doesn;t make him any less great, doesn't it?

Someone said Quik is more diverse and has more layered productions, then get a better sound system and you might be amazed at how you would discover other instruments buried beneath Dre's production work. Dre's works is probably the most layered - you got new instruments popping out at various parts of a song, you got vocal harmonies, you get people talking at the end of the song, you get layers of instruments - drums, bass, flutes, piano, cowbells, etc. He's also the most creative. He has also used other objects as instruments -- prison bars closing, guns cocking, dirt being shoveled. Off hand, listen to the opening track of Efil4zaggin and you'd get what I mean. He also would stop in the middle of a song, and "rewind" it (he did this a few time with NWA), even his "skits" within an album featured great production (check the "Comm.Blues" in No One Can Do It Better).

To address the statement that Quik reads music sheets, plays instruments, etc....let me post Quik's statement himself on Dre:

“Nobody gets to say this, I’m gonna snitch. The man is getting piano lessons from Burt Bacharach and he’s reinterpreting [Frederic] Chopin symphony stuff. It’s crazy, he’s lost his mind. He’s got like 400 records. As a matter of a fact, I was there for like four hours, and I think I only heard maybe 60 songs. This man’s got like six or seven Detox records if he wants, it’s just crazy,"

And to address as well the most controversial topic when it comes to Dre, his alleged "ghost procuers"....here's what Snoop has to say about it:
"Yeah, he's doing his muthafuckin' thang man! I've been watchin' shit on TV, I've been seeing shit where n** been acting like they made beats for Dr. Dre and they did this, and did that, like the n** can't make beats! What I've been wanting to say is that, if you was one of the keyboard players, or a n** that was a part of making some of his hit records, then Dr. Dre coached your ass on what to play. ...

And if you were that good, why haven't you continued to make hit records and he's still continued to make hit records? I just want to speak on that, cause I've been seeing some shit on TV, that's been throwing me the fuck off, with n**s saying they did this and did that. The n** Dr. Dre is the bunny that gave them the opportunity. He can do the shit by his muthafuckin' self, me and him done sat in the studio where he done made hit records, without nobody there but just me and him! You feel me?...
And then at the same time, it's like, you'll always find n**s crying about "I was one of the producers for Dr. Dre, he stole my shit!" He ain't stole nothing from you, n**! If you that good, why don't you continue to make it!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:00 am

yeah, anybody saying Quik is better is a hater, plain and simple a616. dre is light years ahead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 2:34 am

a616 is just a fan boy... reading too much shit into his music and dropping snide comments about people's audio system. I got studio headphones and studio monitors so I hear everything and while Dre's shit is not simple by any means, he's not the god people make him out to be. Musically, Quik is lightyears ahead of Dre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 3:04 am

SRP, I wasn't being snide about sound systems, that was not supposed to be taken seriously....Anyway, least I'm able to reason out my being a "fan boy". Unlike people who cannot come up with anything more than Quik is better, etc....And besides, what's wrong with "reading too much into music"? There's nothing wrong with having a deeper appreciation for stuff you like. Dre's not god, I agree, but come up first with a decent argument as to why Quik is better and maybe you'll be more credible...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 3:38 am

I don't need credibility son, but I've said it times before - musically Quik is better.

Listen to any of Quik's grooves and show me one instance where Dre has matched up to him musically?

He hasn't, Dre doesn't make music, he makes beats. Quik on the other hand makes music. He makes that funk that everyone else samples. Instead of sampling something from the past, he composes his own music that sounds just as funky or better.

Add to that the fact that Quik has the crispest, cleanest production in the game due to his attention to detail and it is just hands down easy to see that overall Quik is a better producer and more talented in every facet of the game.

You want to switch to the old term for Producer and Quik has done that. Hi-C, Suga Free, Second II None, Penthouse Players Clique are all projects Quik oversaw and not only made music for but shaped the sound of the record. mausberg and Blaqkout is more proof of Quik's talent in creating albums.

Anything Dre has, Quik has as well. No doubt Dre was in the game longer than Quik and an inspiration, but Quik to me has perfected the art of making music much more than dre has.

Are you familiar with all of Quik's catalog A616?

Because I am familiar with both men's career...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 7:39 am

"I don't need credibility son"

Uhm, actually you do, in order to be believable....

"Listen to any of Quik's grooves and show me one instance where Dre has matched up to him musically?"

Such "subjective" statements would get us nowhere. How do you measure "musicality"?

So, let's keep it FACTUAL....

"He hasn't, Dre doesn't make music, he makes beats. Quik on the other hand makes music. He makes that funk that everyone else samples. Instead of sampling something from the past, he composes his own music that sounds just as funky or better."

First, just because a musician samples doesn't make the song any less good. I'd take a good sampler over a so-so instrumentalist any day. I'm sure you would too. Also, sampling has been in effect for a long time. The classic blues riff for instance, used by hundreds of musicians, is a form of sampling. Second, Dre does make his own music. He plays the keyboards, drums, etc.

Finally, do you know the greatest producers in music? Gil Evans, George Martin, Phil Spector, etc? These people weren't the ones playing with the instruments when they "produced" albums classic albums for Miles Davis, the Beatles, etc....SO , a producer need not play a single instrument in order to be great. Still, as QUIK himself mentioned, Dre not only know piano, but is also honing it under Bacharach, he's studying Chopin, etc.

"You want to switch to the old term for Producer and Quik has done that. Hi-C, Suga Free, Second II None, Penthouse Players Clique are all projects Quik oversaw and not only made music for but shaped the sound of the record."

Yeah, Quik has done that, but Dre has produced for more prolific artists. He has shaped the sound of entire albums. All those artists you mentioned are dope, but no one there compares to Cube, Snoop, Eminem, and the other artists Dre's has produced for. Proof of that, how many times has any of those artists been mentioned in this forum's greatest poll? Also, how many Quik-produced albums for other artists are considered classics? Does he have No One Can Do It Better? Doggystyle? Marshal Mathers? These are albums Dre has produced, if not in its entirety, then the majority of songs.

"Anything Dre has, Quik has as well."

Nah.....Quik has no Grammy for Producer of the Year (the first hip hop producer to have that). Say whatever you want about the Grammy's, but check the other recipients: Quincy Jones, Rick Rubin, Phil Ramone, Stevie Wonder. Quik hasn't worked with non-rap icons....Dre has worked with Nine Inch, Bacharach, and hell, even Rolling Stones...even Michael Jackson wanted Dre to produce for him.

"Are you familiar with all of Quik's catalog A616?"

I won't front. I have a lot of his albums, but I'm not as knowledgeable about his career as I am with Dre's.

Still, facts are facts....and the facts above are irrefutable....

Quik himself does all the Dre praising for me.....

Last edited by a616 on Mon 08 Jun 2009, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 7:42 am

a616, your responses were impressive, but did nothing to prove that dre was better. What is more impressive to you? Dre enhancing the talents of Eminem and Ice Cube or Quik making Hi-C, AMG, and 2nd II None sound better? Quotes from other producers do not equal fact. Jay-Z said Lil Wayne was the heir to his throne. That must mean Wayne is great, right? Even if Dre did influence them, is it not possible for the people being influenced to actually be better? As for me needing a better system to fully experience Dre, I've been there, Done that(pun intended). Dre's beats are in your face, and once you've heard it, you get it. Quik's beats are rich and full. The more you listen, the more you will hear. Like i said before, Dre has a great ear for music, but he is limited on what he can do in the studio. By all reports, Dre inlists the help of musicians to help create the sound that he envisions. Quik does not. Dre's musicianship is limited. Quik is familiar with multiple instruments. How many times have you heard other producers saying Dre took credit for something they created? You rarely if ever hear that about other great producers. Maybe it's jealousy, but IMO, where there is a lot of smoke there is fire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 7:50 am

T. Myers:

If it's not too much to ask, check my posts above. Your points on playing instruments, taking credit, enlisting other musicians, are all addressed.

Anyway, as for you saying that Quik's production "growing" on you ("hearing more"), that's subjective. Because I feel the same with Dre. So, we can;t really argue about how we experience music, because the way you discover more in a Quik's beat is the same with me for Dre.

Good point about Jigga praising Wayne. Still, that's one man praising Wayne. I listed several dope producers. Yeah, you can say that so what if others think he's great? But man, we ourselves praise those producers for their skills. So, they must still be credible, right? They have a more intimate knowledge of their craft, after all.

As for your point that Em, Snoop etc are already great rappers. I disagree so Dre didn't do much. I disagree. Those rappers greatest albums were with Dre, their weakest were without him...so....you get the point!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 8:02 am

a616, I wasn't saying Dre didn't do a great job with Em, Cube, or even Snoop. I was merely pointing out that Quik has done more with less talent. I could compare Dre to Phil Jackson. IMO, Jackson's a great coach, but there will always be a question mark. Jackson was never the most impressive tactician. X's and O's was never his bread and butter. He always had the greatest of the great when it came to talent. He has always been the motivation and orchestrator. Now, I can't argue with the results 9 rings going on 10, but there are many who question his worth because of the things i mentioned. Dre is in my top 5-10 producers. It's not like i don't love his musical output. No One Can Do It Better is a top 10 album for me, and my personal choice for Dre's best produced album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 8:03 am

"I was merely pointing out that Quik has done more with less talent. I could compare Dre to Phil Jackson. IMO, Jackson's a great coach, but there will always be a question mark. "

I agree.....great analogy too.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 8:44 am

DJ Quik for me. His style & vibes simply appeal to me more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 9:40 am

a616,
Your arguments lack any strength or validity.

Let's put this out there - MUSIC IS NOT FACTUAL! MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE!

How do you measure musicality? How about the complexity of a melody. The length of a melody? The variety of instruments? The layers in the music?

There are tons of ways, all that remain subjective to a degree, but still it is very easy to do. You obviously are not familiar with Quik's Grooves and hence you wanting to avoid any comparison with one of Quik's grooves to any of Dre's music.

I wasn't knocking Dre for sampling. My mentioning that is to show how Quik already KNOWS music. He doesn't need lessons from someone this late in his career. The reason being that right from the start he was hooking up with musicians and learning the craft.

You like to switch back and forth between your defition of a producer, but guess what? In rap a producer makes MUSIC. In rap we don't have producers who fund and create albums. Everything you say about that is irrelevant. Who had Executive Producer credits on Doggystyle? or The Chronic? or even No One Can Do It Better? Was it Dre? Likely not because the hip-hop producer did not play that role. Have you heard any of those acts I mentioned and their work with Quik? People who did have praised the music.

And a grammy is subjective homey, real talk! It's a panel of people with subjective opinions who vote and give someone an award subjectively!

Here's how your fan boy logic has worked so far A616:

1. Dre is the bestest! Look all these people said it was he bestest!

THEN you get called out for the fact that your proof of Dre being the best was a whole bunch of OPINIONS!

2. Dre is the bestest! I can use facts!

Funny how you switch to so-called "facts" when initially you felt all your opinions were good enough? I guess opinions are valid when going for Dre but not otherwise?

And then you list the Grammys which is OPINION based awards...

Take away the grammys and what facts are left? Dre is learning to play the piano? Oh yeah - kool aid smile bitch Smile

Look man, it's OK to be a dre fan boy and voting purely on that. Just admit it and be done with it. These "arguments" just get sillier and sillier and reflect poorly. Your opinion will not hold anywhere near the validity of others who have actually heard and ar equally familiar with both men's career and objectively believe one or the other is the better producer.

I will say this, for a nobody producer who is no where near as good as your dear old gynecologist, Quik is holding his own quite well in the votes... explain away those "facts"....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 10:17 am

SRP:
"How do you measure musicality? How about the complexity of a melody. The length of a melody? The variety of instruments? The layers in the music?"

Too simplistic a definition man. With that definition, then Reggae, Electronica, Doo Wop, even the some Blues would be jack ish. Length of melody? Complexity? Fine, on all accounts, I would choose Dre over Quik. I simply said that we shouldn't base it there since we would just end up in subjective opinions, which is what we are doing now. I think Dre is more musical, you think Quik is....see, we're at a stalemate.....

"You obviously are not familiar with Quik's Grooves and hence you wanting to avoid any comparison with one of Quik's grooves to any of Dre's music."

I am very familiar with Quik's stuff man. As I said I have his stuff. I'm a fan. I simply said that I'm not familiar with his life compared to how I have more knowledge of Dre's. All I'm avoiding is a discussion based on pure preferences. Because, obviously, I wouldn;t knock your own preference, that's your right.

"You like to switch back and forth between your defition of a producer, but guess what? In rap a producer makes MUSIC. In rap we don't have producers who fund and create albums. Everything you say about that is irrelevant. Who had Executive Producer credits on Doggystyle? or The Chronic? or even No One Can Do It Better? Was it Dre? Likely not because the hip-hop producer did not play that role. Have you heard any of those acts I mentioned and their work with Quik? People who did have praised the music."

Who said anything about executive producers? Evans, MArtin, etc are all MUSIC producers, man. Look em up.....you familiar with music that';s not hip hop? Guess what, Dre is now held with the same reverence as those legendary producers I mentioned. He has transcended hip hop, man. and yeah, I know all em folks you mentioned, as said, I'm also a fan of Quik's work...as far as his early days with AMG, Hi-C, etc...

"And a grammy is subjective homey, real talk! It's a panel of people with subjective opinions who vote and give someone an award subjectively!"

I know what the Grammy is about man. Still, knocking it off completely means knocking off the people it has rewarded. Doesn;t take away from the talents of those people listed.

"THEN you get called out for the fact that your proof of Dre being the best was a whole bunch of OPINIONS!"

Ever made an academic thesis or a dissertation, SRP? That;s actually called validating your arguments by using "credible" people / experts in the field. The opinions I quoted from - Primo, RZA, etc are ALL credible. Or are you gonna knock em off too?

"Funny how you switch to so-called "facts" when initially you felt all your opinions were good enough? I guess opinions are valid when going for Dre but not otherwise? "

I never shied away from negative points about Dre. I actually presented proof that goes against those criticism. Snoop saying those producers whining about stealing credit are wrong is believable because he has worked with Dre several times.

All your arguments for Quik are from your OWN opinions. Which as I said, cannot be questioned since it's your own preference. Which is also ythe safe way to go about it, actually.

"I wasn't knocking Dre for sampling. My mentioning that is to show how Quik already KNOWS music. He doesn't need lessons from someone this late in his career. "

Ever saw the Efil4zaggin video? Dre was already playing the piano and the drums way back then, even before that. Him taking lessons doesn't mean he aint jack. Tell me, if you were at his shoes, and Bacharach, one of the most talented musicians in history, offers piano lessons, wouldn't you take it? It's actually called "wanting to get better"....I'm sure Quik would also take lessons from him if given a chance....

"I will say this, for a nobody producer who is no where near as good as your dear old gynecologist, Quik is holding his own quite well in the votes... explain away those "facts"...."

Funny.....you knock me off for crediting the grammy's then you rely on the voting here? Sheeshhh.....

"Look man, it's OK to be a dre fan boy and voting purely on that. Just admit it and be done with it. "

Backtrack a bit man, from the first time I posted, I said that this is my take on the whole thing. You were the one who started all this fan biy crap....you started knocking down my own preference.

THe biggest thing you're neglecting is how your own boy, Quik, has nothing but the highest regard for Dre......again, he was the only hip hop producer Quik mentioned as an influence.....

Guess you're even better than Quik to listen to him, huh?

And oh, isn;t the grammy's all about making money and the mainstream.....lemme quote Quik then....

"if it don't make dollars, it don't make sense...."

Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 11:46 am

you guys are being ridiculous. hi-c? amg? really? has snoop made anything even close to touching doggystyle? doc no one can do it better? eminem sslp/mmlp? no, then you count nwa, and dres solos, and this is ridiculous. quik is not even CLOSE to dre's level, you guys are trying to bring some knowledge of music into this, who fuckin cares. this isnt music 101, its producing good music, and dre has done more of than than quik 10000x over.

and for a modern comparison, listen to relapse and blaqkout. relapse, regardless of eminem, or anything else, sounds 1 billion times better than blaqkout.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:17 pm

Good way of simplifying things Steve.....hahaha!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:34 pm

Good to see Quik ahead. Dre is the most overrated man in hip hop. Did i enjoy lots of his work, yes but that was his older shit. Right now there are so many mainstream producers who are making songs from pop acts like Dre is that sound pretty damn similar. My favorite part about some of Dres newer beats have been the piano which Dre is not even responsible for. His beats are plain now. Plus looking at his production discography its not deep enough for him to even have a top 5 on my list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Dre_production_discography.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:39 pm

and everyone immediately quickly skips over the nonsensical gza post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:46 pm

Steve wrote:
and everyone immediately quickly skips over the nonsensical gza post.

theres 100 posts on here i dont agree with but you dont see me being a smart ass. your acting just like a kool john right now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:49 pm

kool john is my less attractive, less intelligent, less-refined twin.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:54 pm

GZA, Dre has at least 12 entire LP/EP productions. Aside from that, he's got dozens of other tracks he's produced for artists. Check that list again it actually is pretty deep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:56 pm

Esco wrote:
GZA, Dre has at least 12 entire LP/EP productions. Aside from that, he's got dozens of other tracks he's produced for artists. Check that list again it actually is pretty deep.

most if it after 97 is trash. plus look at the wack ass rappers he wastes his beats on. dre should scrap detox and retire.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 12:57 pm

2-NWA LP's
1-NWA EP
2 Dr. Dre LP's
1 Snoop Dogg LP
1 Eminem LP
1 Aftermath comp.
1 DOC LP
1 Eazy-E LP

I only got 10. which ones am i missing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:00 pm

World Class Wreckin' Cru LP X 2
C.I.A. EP
Eazy-E LP

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:02 pm

Steve wrote:
World Class Wreckin' Cru LP X 2
C.I.A. EP
Eazy-E LP

lol that world class wreckin crew ish was weak. does anyone really listen to that. even when i was like you boys thinking dre was great i couldnt listen to that shit
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:05 pm

The Mothafuckin GZA wrote:
Esco wrote:

most if it after 97 is trash. plus look at the wack ass rappers he wastes his beats on. dre should scrap detox and retire.

He's got a lot of good stuff after '97. He's done great shit with Em, Chronic 2001, Xzibit, 50 Cent, The Game & Obie Trice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:07 pm

SRP, you're an idiot. Dre has exec produced 20 albums, including the 3 you listed.

He has 4 more he has exec produced coming out this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:08 pm

Esco wrote:
Esco wrote:

He's got a lot of good stuff after '97. He's done great shit with Em, Chronic 2001, Xzibit, 50 Cent, The Game & Obie Trice.

The stuff with 50 and game was highly overrated. Listen to the documentary most of my favorite beats where done by other producers and they all kinda go together. Chronic 2001 had some decent shit and i liked some of the beats from cheers. but name something else, if hes the top and best out there should be more shit than that

is dre even a beat maker? i dont think so i think some people have it confused
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:12 pm

Esco wrote:
Esco wrote:

The stuff with 50 and game was highly overrated. Listen to the documentary most of my favorite beats where done by other producers and they all kinda go together. Chronic 2001 had some decent shit and i liked some of the beats from cheers. but name something else, if hes the top and best out there should be more shit than that

I'm not saying he is the best, I was just pointing out that he's actually got a lot of more good stuff post 1997 than you're giving him credit for. As for the stuff he did on the Documentary Start From Scratch, Westside Story, Higher & How We Do were all good beats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:14 pm

Esco wrote:
Esco wrote:
Esco wrote:

I'm not saying he is the best, I was just pointing out that he's actually got a lot of more good stuff post 1997 than you're giving him credit for. As for the stuff he did on the Documentary Start From Scratch, Westside Story, Higher & How We Do were all good beats.

its not that his shit is wack, its jsut that its not great and that i think quik and a better selection of beats.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:19 pm

oh ok, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Some of my favorite producers just don't bring as much heat as they used to. Also I didn't vote cause I've only heard a few songs by Quik which is why yesterday I started "Operation Quik Appreciation". His 1st cd is banging.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:22 pm

Esco wrote:
oh ok, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Some of my favorite producers just don't bring as much heat as they used to. Also I didn't vote cause I've only heard a few songs by Quik which is why yesterday I started "Operation Quik Appreciation". His 1st cd is banging.
most of his solo shit is pretty dope. when i was 13 i got a copy of his greatest hits and have been a fan since
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:25 pm

Esco wrote:
most of his solo shit is pretty dope. when i was 13 i got a copy of his greatest hits and have been a fan since

Yea its always nice to hear a guy that produces his entire albums. Today or tomorrow I'm moving on to his second album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:27 pm

Esco wrote:
Esco wrote:

Yea its always nice to hear a guy that produces his entire albums. Today or tomorrow I'm moving on to his second album.

yeah because thats a real artist. i think they deserve more credit because they made their album classic, not the people they worked with. quiks first 3 albums are great/classic. after that hes got some good shit, not classic but good
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:29 pm

Esco wrote:
Esco wrote:

yeah because thats a real artist. i think they deserve more credit because they made their album classic, not the people they worked with. quiks first 3 albums are great/classic. after that hes got some good shit, not classic but good

Well, 3 straight classics from the same artist will suffice.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:31 pm

Well, I think Way 2 Fonky falls just short of classic, but Rhythm-Al-Ism is a classic. So Quik's first 4 albums are 4.5 stars or better.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:53 pm

"I only got 10. which ones am i missing?"

I'm guessing you had the 3 NWA's as Niggaz4Life, Straight Outta & 100 Miles. Did Dre not produce all of NWA & The Posse? I'm asking here, I really don't know?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 1:54 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
"I only got 10. which ones am i missing?"

I'm guessing you had the 3 NWA's as Niggaz4Life, Straight Outta & 100 Miles. Did Dre not produce all of NWA & The Posse? I'm asking here, I really don't know?

Ah, that's a good question. I'm not sure, but i don't think so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 2:01 pm

Esco wrote:
oh ok, I understand exactly where you're coming from. Some of my favorite producers just don't bring as much heat as they used to.

That's an understatement. Dre hasn't brought the heat in over 8 years. It's been nothing but rumors and weak Detox leaks since 2001. He couldn't even produce anywhere near a classic for Eminem's comeback after a 4 year lay off with Relapse. Rakim, Busta Rhymes and Eve found out quick Dre aint producing classic's anymore before they bounced and cut ties with him. Busta even said himself the record he did with Dre wasnt even worth putting in the streets. Hip hop fans around the world has pretty much come to the conclusion that 2001 is the closet thing to classic their ever gonna hear from Dre again. I'm pretty confident in predicting that Detox and Relapse 2 won't live up to any classic finishes either. The overrated party is approaching its end for Dre. I'm not surprised at all that DJ Quik is winning this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitimeMon 08 Jun 2009, 4:14 pm

shut the fuck up vernon, you think tanya morgan is a 5 star classic (or at least pretend to) so that invalidates your opinion on everything. whens the last time your boy Quik produced anything good, hmm?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?   Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Better Producer DJ Quik or Dr. Dre?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Topic of the Day-
Jump to: