Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Intelligent Discussion Thread #1

Go down 
+3
E. Taylor
Esco
Half
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Empty
PostSubject: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 11:08 am

Superstring theory: one step closer to a "Theory Of Everything"? Or total bullshit?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 11:13 am

N3R0N0N Of 0nslaught3r wrote:
Superstring theory: one step closer to a "Theory Of Everything"? Or total bullshit?

I don't know shit about Superstring theory, so I decided to check out the wiki page for a nice summary and ended up being extremely confused. If someone could put it into layman's terms for me it would be greatly appreciated. I would then try to determine whether or not it is complete bullshit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 11:17 am

LOL

Uh, the whole thing with superstring theory...it's very complicated. Basically a lot of it's merits are dependent upon Tachyon particles...with have "imaginary mass" and constantly move faster than the speed of light. So...there's problems with the math. Obviously. It's morphed into "M-Theory" (although, again, a lot of scientists think that's bullshit, but string theory is fine as is), which is easier explained. Google might be a better place to start?
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 12:23 pm

Yea wikipedia confused the shit outta me too. Maybe I'll learn this in physics next semester. I'll get back to the discussion then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 12:54 pm

I sincerely hope they don't teach this in phsyics.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 3:40 pm

I sincerely hope they don't teach this in phsyics.

uhhh why not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 3:44 pm

LOL

Uh, the whole thing with superstring theory...it's very complicated. Basically a lot of it's merits are dependent upon Tachyon particles...with have "imaginary mass" and constantly move faster than the speed of light. So...there's problems with the math. Obviously. It's morphed into "M-Theory" (although, again, a lot of scientists think that's bullshit, but string theory is fine as is), which is easier explained. Google might be a better place to start?
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 7:09 pm

Just got finished with applied physics. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 May 2010, 11:34 pm

Did they teach string theory/m-theory, E.Taylor?
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 12:16 am

E. Taylor what type of engineer are you trying to be?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 4:02 pm

A Philosophy course I was in had a guest speaker on String Theory. It seems pretty far out. The dude was a fairly accomplished Physicist. It's a lot to wrap your ahead around. I don't think it can be comprehended, really, without studying from the ground up. And, even then, I think only a fringe minority subscribe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 4:10 pm

never heard of it, but not big into physics. maybe try choosing something a bit more universal for intelligence conversationz.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 7:09 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
A Philosophy course I was in had a guest speaker on String Theory. It seems pretty far out. The dude was a fairly accomplished Physicist. It's a lot to wrap your ahead around. I don't think it can be comprehended, really, without studying from the ground up. And, even then, I think only a fringe minority subscribe.

One of the guys working for CERN is a big proponent of m-theory. He went as far as to publically say he thinks that the large hadron collider's failure to find the Higgs-Boson particle was due to "interference from the future, or possibly an alternate dimension" (out of most of the considered physics theories used today, backwards time travel is basically ONLY allowed in m-theory, which is one of the reasons only a fringe minority subscribe to it's craziness and not the science community as a whole).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:02 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
never heard of it, but not big into physics. maybe try choosing something a bit more universal for intelligence conversationz.

Perhaps. I've never heard of it either. And all the complexity talk doesn't make me want to waste time trying to figure it out...Science though, huh?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:33 pm

Man, N3R0, it wouldn't kill you to be a bit more open-minded about shit. There's a lot of interesting theories out there. Not everything has to fit into what's already been established. There is a possibility for phenomenon to exist that simply isn't definable through the human experience.
Back to top Go down
~Miz~
Jump!
Jump!

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:42 pm

i guess this "intelligent discussion" is too intelligent for me cuz i got no idea what the superstring theory is either Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:44 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Man, N3R0, it wouldn't kill you to be a bit more open-minded about shit. There's a lot of interesting theories out there. Not everything has to fit into what's already been established. There is a possibility for phenomenon to exist that simply isn't definable through the human experience.

I'm a skeptic, sorry. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. I never called anybody an idiot or anything like that, I merely opened up a subject for debate and stated my opinion. I don't see why you're so bent out of shape about it.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:46 pm

Not sure what you mean. I wasn't trying to offend you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeTue 25 May 2010, 8:53 pm

Maybe I assumed aggression where there wasn't any, my bad. I'm very skeptical though, in general.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitimeFri 17 Dec 2010, 2:00 pm

Hey Jeff what happened to these threads man?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Intelligent Discussion Thread #1   Intelligent Discussion Thread #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intelligent Discussion Thread #1
Page 1 of 1