Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mixtapes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeWed 26 May 2010, 11:28 pm

While reading the Hip Hop Herald on www.411mania.com/music, David Banner had some rather interesting comments (while talking about his new concept album w/ 9th Wonder) about mixtapes. Here's his comment:

"We were like f**k giving somebody something for free! I'll look you in the eye and say this mixtape s**t is one of the things that's killing rap," he detailed. "Mixtapes were supposed to be a little bitty precursor to buy the album, not the whole thing. Man f**k a mixtape! If y'all love rap music and the former music and want it to be your job or profession you have to pay for something. 9th Wonder beats cost something, a David Banner verse cost something; that s**t ain't for f****** free, dog."

So after reading this, and also taking into consideration your personal feelings, what are your thoughts on the ever evolving "mixtape scene"?
Back to top Go down

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:32 am

I agree wtih Banner, this mixtape shit is getting outta hand. But then again no one is buying the albums so you are screwed either way. Mixtapes are great promotional tools and precursor to hype up artists until something official drops. I always felt if you can give away your hardwork for free numerous times than that product can't be that good. I still haven't really heard a fire ass mixtape ever.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:37 am

KRob86 wrote:
I agree wtih Banner, this mixtape shit is getting outta hand. But then again no one is buying the albums so you are screwed either way. Mixtapes are great promotional tools and precursor to hype up artists until something official drops. I always felt if you can give away your hardwork for free numerous times than that product can't be that good. I still haven't really heard a fire ass mixtape ever.

Man, they're out there. You gotta keep looking. I know there is a lot of garbage out there cause mixtapes are so easy to put for a lot of these artists, but that shouldn't stop you. Freelapse is one of my fav's from this year, and i think SRP would co-sign it. You may want to find a link for it.
Back to top Go down

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:38 am

Freelapse
No Mixtape
The Leak
Lil Wayne's The Drought series
Where's Your Album?

There's a million dope mixtapes out there. Did you peep Dopeman Music?
Back to top Go down

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:40 am

You haven't heard a fire ass mixtape because you got it stuck in your mind they don't exist.

There have been plenty of fire ass mixtapes, some doper than albums that end up dropping.

This mixtape shit been had gotten out of hand about 6 fucking years ago. It's just getting progressively worse.

I think people should pay for dope music. I think people should pay for mixtapes, that said I do not think people should pay for shit quality audio and a DJ screaming all over a fucking track that ends up on the album.

Mixtapes, if they went back to what they used to be would be well worth the money. The problem is the line is so fucking blurred nowadays, shit that would be considered a compilation or underground album is not being called a mixtape, people are turned off by it, and now the music isn't even reaching the fans.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 10:43 am

Also, Check out Bun B's No Mixtape too.
Back to top Go down

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 3:07 pm

Yeah I heard you guys talikng about that Bun one and I have heard some of the ones Jeff mentioned. I just don't like when rappers rap over already well used beats from other artist and albums. I have heard some good mixtapes but it just alwyas seem like i'm being cheated or something.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 3:29 pm

I think Banner is wrong in what he is saying...mixtapes are promotional tools just like videos..radio play..etc...when your doing any kind of art your ALWAYS going to have to give some of it and maybe all of it away for free to get something back in return...ALWAYS

this happens in music..movies....art collections..etc

my personal problem is with the downloading of entire albums FOR FREE...my motto has always been no downloads hence I buy everything I own which supports hip-hop in general and the artist in particular....record companies have a bunch of different outlets to earn money off of an artists work while the artist is much more limited, and when they (the record companies) see "decreased" sales..then they can use those figures against an artist to sign them for future shit at discount rates while still making their money back and then some...very seldom do you actually see an artist getting completely dropped from their label even if it looks like they aren't "selling" and there's reasons for this...that label is still making money even if the artist is starving...

Diddy as an example is still making money off of Craig Mack even though he's been off of Bad Boy for years from any album sales (yes as crazy as it seems there are still segments of people still buying his first album in 2010) and Diddy owns Craig's master's which is also a powerful way to control the money from Craig's music...while Craig sees next to nothing and it some cases nothing for his music that he created...(this is just one example but this shit happens all the time in the hip-hop game..trust me there)

Heads like Jay-Z..Lil Wayne...Jim Jones...LL Cool J...Cam'ron......Mike Jones...Bow Wow...etc have figured out ways to beat the game and always stay with money but most of the other hip-hop artists like a Banner or a Sadat X (yeah him too) or a Black Rob or an Immortal Technique..etc have to keep performing and will have to keep performing until they're 70+ years old to maintain a decent lifestyle...SHOW money for these cats and many others mean EVERYTHING!
Back to top Go down

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeFri 08 Oct 2010, 11:14 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
CABNumber
Half Dolla
Half Dolla
CABNumber

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeSat 09 Oct 2010, 2:20 am

Maybe the Mixtapes I download are different from the ones you guys are talking about. When you say "Mixtape" do you mean Any Rapper/MC rhyming over other artistes production and almost always a DJ shouting over every track or every type of Mixtape even with original production for example Talib Kweli's "Right About Now: The Official Sucka Free Mix CD" or Blu's "HerFavoriteColo(u)r"?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitimeSat 09 Oct 2010, 3:18 am

"Lil Wayne's The Drought series"

Surprised I didn't bring this up when it was posted... Da Drought 3 was not good. I liked it back when I was a huge Wayne fan (around the summer of '07), but nowadays I see no appeal in it. Don't call me a Wayne hater (because I like his first 3, and Tha Carter I & II), and don't call me a hypocrite because I still enjoy his music. When looking at the lyrics, though, they are not good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mixtapes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mixtapes   Mixtapes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mixtapes
Page 1 of 1