Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Roots - How I Got Over

Go down 
+12
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Highsmith
Shaun
Norfeest
Esco
Funk Seoul Brother
gametheory91
Half
Alan
T. Myers
parker lewis
Jason
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

The Roots - How I Got Over Empty
PostSubject: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 1:13 am

It's out on the interwebs. I'm only on my first listen, but it's probably the best Hip-Hop album I've heard this year. The whole thing comes together almost perfectly, an accomplishment considering all the voices here, from Monsters of Folk, the ladies of Dirty Projectors and Joanna Newsom to Blu and Phonte, and of course those old mainstays by now, P.O.R.N. & Dice Raw, and Truck North. Only misstep is "Web 20/20", that beat is extremely annoying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 1:22 am

how bout people wait until albums fucking release? not a personal thing jason, just fucking tired of people talking about the shit the minute it leaks.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 1:56 am

When you hear it, you can discuss it, it's not like the album is gonna change.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 2:00 am

Sure, just seems with these things the emphasis is on the first leak, first impressions, etc... Unless an album is unusually good or bad, the first impression is usually not 100% accurate.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 2:06 am

I don't think that's any different from early listens after release.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 7:35 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
how bout people wait until albums fucking release? not a personal thing jason, just fucking tired of people talking about the shit the minute it leaks.

How about mind your business? Don't listen to it if you don't want to. Don't act like your above downloading leaks because you haven't been doing it lately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 7:52 am

I'll be getting this one also.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 8:07 am

yeah, i'm with Jason on this one. The music doesn't change. Why does it matter when you hear it?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 9:33 am

Glad to hear the feedback. I was going to buy it blind the first day anyway because the Roots have never released anything wack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 10:38 am

Kid Joe wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

How about mind your business? Don't listen to it if you don't want to. Don't act like your above downloading leaks because you haven't been doing it lately.

I don't give a fuck about a leak... it's just bullshit how people want to rush to give something one cursory listen and then post some baseless thoughts about it. How bout people do the responsible thing and even if it is a leak, give the CD a few listens, give a fair assessment, and then if they really want to post a halfway decent assessment of the album?

That's the problem for me, we get a ton of these half assed blurbs about shit because people are more worried about getting a listen in and dropping some thoughts than the actual music. What did Jason say? I love the CD, these are all the guests, they sounded good to, I remember one bad song.

It doesn't really say shit about the CD. And it's not a personal thing, but this happens with every fucking CD. Leak - 15 first impressions, not all of them very accurate, and that is the lifespan of the discussion of the CD. The CD gets marked by the first impressions of some leaks and that is that.

If people want to get the music whenever, that's on them, but actually listen and post some substance, otherwise it looks like people are just geeking to listen to some shit first and not actually peeping and assessing the music.

And please delineate what the fuck is "my business" on a public forum for future reference.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 11:00 am

Some people like to discuss first impressions, then to see how things come together over time, compare it to their own thoughts, etc. I don't see anything off about that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 11:06 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

I don't give a fuck about a leak... it's just bullshit how people want to rush to give something one cursory listen and then post some baseless thoughts about it. How bout people do the responsible thing and even if it is a leak, give the CD a few listens, give a fair assessment, and then if they really want to post a halfway decent assessment of the album?

That's the problem for me, we get a ton of these half assed blurbs about shit because people are more worried about getting a listen in and dropping some thoughts than the actual music. What did Jason say? I love the CD, these are all the guests, they sounded good to, I remember one bad song.
It doesn't really say shit about the CD. And it's not a personal thing, but this happens with every fucking CD. Leak - 15 first impressions, not all of them very accurate, and that is the lifespan of the discussion of the CD. The CD gets marked by the first impressions of some leaks and that is that.

If people want to get the music whenever, that's on them, but actually listen and post some substance, otherwise it looks like people are just geeking to listen to some shit first and not actually peeping and assessing the music.

And please delineate what the fuck is "my business" on a public forum for future reference.

As much as you get out of Jason most of the time, anyway. At least it wasn't his typical "this type of music doesn't interest me at all, but that won't stop me from bashing it for those that do" rants.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 12:26 pm

LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 1:07 pm

Alan wrote:
Glad to hear the feedback. I was going to buy it blind the first day anyway because the Roots have never released anything wack.

Co-Sign. Even though I've never trusted Jason's feedback, The Roots have always delivered dope albums so I'm sure this one will be great as well.

And SRP, don't front as if you've never listened to a leak one time and given an opinion on it. That's all Jason was doing.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 1:34 pm

"I don't give a fuck about a leak... it's just bullshit how people want to rush to give something one cursory listen and then post some baseless thoughts about it."

Understandable. I apologize for assuming self-righteousness on your part.

"And please delineate what the fuck is "my business" on a public forum for future reference."

Well, I think if you consider my misunderstanding you can see where I was coming from.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 1:54 pm

I will say that The roots tend to create albums that are sonically conceptual. This makes them an exception to your assertion, that nothing is to be learned on initial listenings.

For example, I will confidently say that I dig the vibe of this album, whereas Rising Down didn't really get past the first few spins, for me.

Likewise, I agree that maybe Jason over-reaches with his preliminary review. I certainly wouldn't feel commenting on anything too specific at this point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 2:05 pm

No need to apologize joe, and I am not trying to be self righteous KJ.

Like I said, I just want a little more substance in the information given.

Jason mentions all these artists on the album I don't recognize, joe mentions this having a different vibe.

I'm assuming this is a completely different direction/sound than rising down or game theory, and I'm assuming this may be something sonically new for the roots period, but if we're talking about an album already, why should I be having to make assumptions.

Yes, things can be gleamed off first listen and the first listen does usually dictate the overall assessment of any album, but lately it feels like i can go through an entire thread discussing a new album and come away with no idea of what to expect on the album.

I've been guilty of it too, but 15 people chiming in that they heard, they like, they don't like, or it is better than or worst than, etc without any substance leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion and I think the rush to listen and post thoughts has something to do with it.

But I'm not trying to generalize. I have this on pre-order so regardless of what is posted I will be getting it.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 10:46 pm

I don't know if this counts as substance to SRP, but these are a couple of songs the Roots sample on this album, if you want an idea of their direction

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSat 19 Jun 2010, 10:56 pm

much appreciated jason.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 10:53 am

No love for Rising Down? That's my #4 Roots album. Might be #3.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 12:46 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:

Rising Down is my second least favorite Roots album, only ahead of Phernology. Nevertheless, I enjoy them all.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 6:10 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

Rising Down is my second least favorite Roots album, only ahead of Phernology. Nevertheless, I enjoy them all.

I guess I'd have to agree. Except, I think I dig it a bit more than Organix. Still a solid 4 star effort IMO. I feel those 3 are about even.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 6:44 pm

Rising Down is my fourth favorite Roots album. With that being said, I spun How I Got Over once and it is definitely different the Game Theory and Rising Down. I thought it was solid but it didn't hit me like GT and RD did when I first heard them but I definitely need to spin it more.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 6:48 pm

After 2 listens I have to say this is the best hip hop album I've heard in quite a while. The songs 20/20 and Hustla are awful but everything else is 5 stars. I'll continue to listen to it but a rating of about an A seems right.

Last edited by Cise Starr on Sun 20 Jun 2010, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 7:09 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
After 2 listens I have to say this is the best hip hop album I've heard in quite a while. The songs 20/20 and Hustla are awful but everything is 5 stars. I'll continue to listen to it but a rating of about an A seems right.

Don't you think it's unreasonable to rate an album 5 stars when you consider 2 songs on the album trash?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 7:10 pm

Behind Illadelph and Things Fall Apart, it's my favorite.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 7:14 pm

Esco wrote:
Cise Starr wrote:
After 2 listens I have to say this is the best hip hop album I've heard in quite a while. The songs 20/20 and Hustla are awful but everything is 5 stars. I'll continue to listen to it but a rating of about an A seems right.

Don't you think it's unreasonable to rate an album 5 stars when you consider 2 songs on the album trash?
I meant to say all the other songs are 5 stars NOT the album.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeSun 20 Jun 2010, 7:22 pm

"Hustla" has grown on me some, but 20/20 is pretty bad, I don't know what they were thinking with that beat.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:43 pm

I like the album, but probably not as much as Cise and Jason. That's ok though. I'm convinced Cise isn't a hip hop fan. He likes a certain sound, and if that sound can be found on a hip hop record, so be it. If not, he has no use for hip hop or its culture.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 4:36 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I like the album, but probably not as much as Cise and Jason. That's ok though. I'm convinced Cise isn't a hip hop fan. He likes a certain sound, and if that sound can be found on a hip hop record, so be it. If not, he has no use for hip hop or its culture.

Just because I post a lot of non-hip-hop reviews doesn't mean I don't like hip hop. While my interest in it isn't as much as it used to be its still my favorite genre. Where is all this coming from?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 4:38 pm

LOL^^^^^^^^
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 5:56 pm

After a few more listens, I'm probably done with this album. I liked the drum sound at first, and excessive use of piano is usually a good sign. Bottom line, the beats are, well, beat. Shit sounds tired.

The hooks are flat out wack (i don't think I've ever actually used that word) and there are too many guest emcees. That may be for the better, though, because nobody exactly brought their "A" game. Except for Blu, who will be hard pressed to find an expanded audience here. I guess Phonte may be doing his best, too. I shouldn't pick on the poor guy like that.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 6:07 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Just because I post a lot of non-hip-hop reviews doesn't mean I don't like hip hop. While my interest in it isn't as much as it used to be its still my favorite genre. Where is all this coming from?

I was just busting your balls by channeling my inner N3R0. It's all in good fun.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 8:01 pm

I'm loving this album, but of course I'm a Roots Stan.

After 2 spins, I've got this at about 4.25-4.5 stars. Black Thought brought the heat as usual, and Dice Raw was dope on every song he appeared on. Conspicuous by his absence was Malik B. though, I would have liked to hear him spit a few bars.

This ranks 5th for me among Roots albums, which is still great considering their track record. I love the melodic and introspective sound to this album. Easily one of the years best. My favorite track is Now Or Never.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 8:28 pm

T. Myers wrote:

I was just busting your balls by channeling my inner N3R0. It's all in good fun.

Oh ok. My sarcasm-detector must be malfunctioning.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:03 pm

Just copped the album. My PC won't read CDs anymore (could be a virus or it could be old (2005), who knows...) I'm coppin' a new one later on. I'll spin it in the car. A FB buddy said it was kinda weak, though. I'm a little worried.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:04 pm

Change your name.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:07 pm

Nope... WOO HOO!!
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:21 pm

I would say 4.25 stars after the 1st listen. I was impressed with Blu & Phonte being on 2 tracks. Does anyone know why Malik B wasn't on this album?
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:38 pm

smh my pre-orders still hasn't arrived yet.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:40 pm

Victor Shade wrote:
smh my pre-orders still hasn't arrived yet.

LOL, the album was $7.99 at Best Buy. Is it that hard to just go to the store when the album drops?
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:44 pm

smh I was being lazy. I thought the albums would show up on Monday. I'm expecting them to arrive tomorrow, but I had the same feeling today. Has your Vinnie Paz show up yet? That still hasn't arrive either.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:45 pm

Victor Shade wrote:
smh I was being lazy. I thought the albums would show up on Monday. I'm expecting them to arrive tomorrow, but I had the same feeling today. Has your Vinnie Paz show up yet? That still hasn't arrive either.

Yeah, i got my Paz and Ro today.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:47 pm

smh I know I pre-ordered that shit before you. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:50 pm

Victor Shade wrote:
smh I know I pre-ordered that shit before you. Shaking My Head

The Paz didn't ship until Friday, and it ships from Kentucky. Kentucky to Tennessee is a lot closer than Kentucky to Washington. I bet you get yours tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 6:51 pm

They're first come first serve...if you're white
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

I got my Ro yesterday, Vinnie Paz today... I ordered both last Wednesday. Best buy will not get here until late this week at the earliest... their free shipping for pre-orders is SLOW
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 10:26 pm

I copped the album today and have spun it a few times and it has really grown on me since my first listen. I love the sound they went with on this album. Doin' It Again is still my favorite song off it. I don't give a fuck if they were recycled lyrics.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 5:50 pm

Yee!!! got my three pre-orders today. After my first spin, I'm very satisfied with "How I Got Over". A lot of bangers on there, the song How I Got Over is the standout upon my first listen. Loving that joint, got it on repeat for a minute.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 9:02 pm

So is it a bad thing that nobody has said anything about this album in 5 days? lol

I'm still slacking. Everyone still loving this album? I've read some not so favorable reviews here and there. I still plan on buying it, but some comments have me less enthused...still need to find out for myself I suppose...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Roots - How I Got Over
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next