Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Roots - How I Got Over

Go down 
+12
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Highsmith
Shaun
Norfeest
Esco
Funk Seoul Brother
gametheory91
Half
Alan
T. Myers
parker lewis
Jason
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 9:09 pm

I think it's a double edged sword to be honest. It's not a bad album at all, but The Roots have set the bar so high it's only natural to be disappointed by this effort to some degree. I would give it around 4-4.25 stars.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 28 Jun 2010, 9:17 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think it's a double edged sword to be honest. It's not a bad album at all, but The Roots have set the bar so high it's only natural to be disappointed by this effort to some degree. I would give it around 4-4.25 stars.

Yeah, this is basically how I felt about Rising Down. Thanks for the heads up...
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 2:16 am

This album is not great, with or without the context of their prior releases. If anything, all the praise is coming from Roots fans who will choke down anything with the name on it.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 8:46 am

I still think the album is great, and I don't blindly love anything the Roots put out.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 10:40 am

I like it. Not a classic or anything but definitely worth a purchase.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Jun 2010, 3:55 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
I like it. Not a classic or anything but definitely worth a purchase.

Pretty much.

It's a 4 star album in my book. I'm a Roots fan, I don't choke down anything with their name on it. Rising Down wasn't all that good to me. *gasp*
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
arokone
Jazz Fiend
arokone

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 06 Jul 2010, 7:49 pm

I know I'm a little late, but this Roots album is blazing front to back.. I got it at 4.5 and a half of mile ahead of rising down..

Peace
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010, 11:15 pm

hold up are people actually hating n Web 20/20???? Ive just spun this album today in the car i instantly loved "Web 20/20" reminds me of an 80's break beat with a twist FUCKING DOPE. Clearly the most unique beat on here and its definitely a head nodder.

The same people who cant feel "Web 20/20" probably dont like "Stroke of Death" from Supreme Clientele either...your losses i guess

ive played this track like 4 times in a row after reading peoples opinions on here and it gets better and better each time; sounds like mad amounts of weed and dust were involved with this
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 2:55 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
hold up are people actually hating n Web 20/20???? Ive just spun this album today in the car i instantly loved "Web 20/20" reminds me of an 80's break beat with a twist FUCKING DOPE. Clearly the most unique beat on here and its definitely a head nodder.

The same people who cant feel "Web 20/20" probably dont like "Stroke of Death" from Supreme Clientele either...your losses i guess

ive played this track like 4 times in a row after reading peoples opinions on here and it gets better and better each time; sounds like mad amounts of weed and dust were involved with this

One of my favorite tracks on that album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 7:22 pm

As of right now, this album ranks no lower than 4th on my 2010 list.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:13 pm

I'll say 4.25 stars and growing. I am a Roots fan but one thing that I understand is that if you don't give some Roots albums multiple listens, you may have some at 4 stars or less. I am sure the same can be said with many artists but the more I hear this CD, the more I like it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:22 pm

Highsmith wrote:
I'll say 4.25 stars and growing. I am a Roots fan but one thing that I understand is that if you don't give some Roots albums multiple listens, you may have some at 4 stars or less. I am sure the same can be said with many artists but the more I hear this CD, the more I like it.

Yeah I agree. I'm a big time Roots fan but they can be an aquired taste for some people. You have to spin their albums a number of times to feel the full effect of them. I originally had this joint at 4 stars, but now it's risen to 4.5, I like it almost as much as Game Theory, and it's light years better than The Tipping Point, Rising Down, and Phernology.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:35 pm

Yeah Phrenology and I still battle til this day. My sis says that it's one of her favorite Roots albums and I look at her like she is crazy...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 8:38 pm

Highsmith wrote:
Yeah Phrenology and I still battle til this day. My sis says that it's one of her favorite Roots albums and I look at her like she is crazy...lol

Phrenology is my least fav from them but still a 4 star effort IMO.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

How is a 4.5 star album light years better than a 4 star album?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 10:33 pm

Shaun wrote:
How is a 4.5 star album light years better than a 4 star album?

I spin it a lot more.

I'm sure that there's some 5 star classics that you'd say are light years better than others. Not so much in overall quality, but in personal preference.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010, 11:30 pm

Highsmith wrote:

I'm with sis on that one. lol I love Phrenology. The only Roots album that I don't really care for is Rising Down. How I Got Over is cool, but it trails off at the back end, IMO. It's a little better than Rising Down, if you ask me. My rankings look like (excluding comps)...

1. Things Fall Apart
2. Illadelph Halflife
3. Game Theory
4. Do You Want More
5. Phrenology
6. The Tipping Point
7. Organix
8. How I Got Over
9. Rising Down

To me, the two comps are better than #8 & 9 as well, but all of their albums, with the exception of Rising Down are 4 stars or better, IMO.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 12:02 am

It's amazing to me that Tipping Point is so low on most peoples rankings. I think Phrenology is excellent as well.

Illadelph Halflife
Organix
Tipping Point
Things Fall Apart
Phrenology
Game Theory

I've never heard Do You Want More. The last two just don't count.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 12:04 am

Kid Joe wrote:
It's amazing to me that Tipping Point is so low on most peoples rankings. I think Phrenology is excellent as well.

Illadelph Halflife
Organix
Tipping Point
Things Fall Apart
Phrenology
Game Theory

Interesting rankings man. You should definitely check out Do You Want More, considering your top two.

I personally really like Rising Down for it's dark atmosphere, I really just can't resist that type of album
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 12:08 am

I've been meaning to, obviously. It's just one of those things. I never remember when I need to.

I would say the first three are interchangeable 5 star albums.4 & 5 are also interchangeable at 4.5 stars. Game Theory has grown on me lately. I'm giving it 3.5, but I may end up liking it more.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 12:16 am

Kid Joe wrote:

Illadelph Halflife
Organix
Tipping Point
Things Fall Apart
Phrenology
Game Theory

Mind you, How I Got Over is a 4 star album to me. So anything above it would be 4 stars or better. I love Tipping Point...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 2:25 am

smh @ the Rising Down hate. Haters
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 4:51 pm

The only thing I agree with Parker on regarding the Roots' albums is that Illadelph is the best. And yes, Do You Want More is essential listening.

And to Shaun, I don't dislike Rising Down. It's just that the Roots have set the bar so highly that RD seems weak by comparison to most of their other albums.

My Roots rankings......

Illadelph Halflife
Things Fall Apart
Do You Want More
Game Theory
How I Got Over
The Tipping Point
Rising Down
Phrenology
Organix
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 5:50 pm

"And to Shaun, I don't dislike Rising Down. It's just that the Roots have set the bar so highly that RD seems weak by comparison to most of their other albums. "

Oh, I know. These fools are calling it wack and ish, though. smh
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 6:24 pm

My update Roots rankings...

Things Fall Apart
Illadelph Halflife
Do You Want More
Game Theory
How I Got Over
The Tipping Point
Phrenology
Rising Down
Organix

Nearly the same as KJ's with a slight tweak. How I Got Over is solid!
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 9:18 pm

Ok, I've been purposely avoiding this thread because, ehh. Now, I have the Roots discography, I downloaded it the other day, and I wanted to go from beginning to end, so I started with Organix and meh. So all this talk about how consistent they are blah blah, let me know where to start please.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 9:20 pm

Esco wrote:
Ok, I've been purposely avoiding this thread because, ehh. Now, I have the Roots discography, I downloaded it the other day, and I wanted to go from beginning to end, so I started with Organix and meh. So all this talk about how consistent they are blah blah, let me know where to start please.

Things Fall Apart
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 9:38 pm

Just remember, if you don't like any of their albums, that's still consistent. I say start with Illadelph Halflife or Tipping Point. Tipping Point is an underdog, though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 9:42 pm

You can't go wrong with Do You Want More, Illadelph Halflife, or Things Fall Apart. All 3 are classics.

Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 10:12 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Just remember, if you don't like any of their albums, that's still consistent. I say start with Illadelph Halflife or Tipping Point. Tipping Point is an underdog, though.

Lol, I hope their consistency work in that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm

Esco wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

Lol, I hope their consistency work in that way.

Organix is their worst album so definitely don't judge them based on that. Start with any of the 3 albums that followed it.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:26 pm

Honestly, Things Fall Apart and Illadelph Halflife seem their most appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:27 pm

Just for the record, Illadelph is my fav. I just think TFA is their most accessible to hip hop fans.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 11:29 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
Just for the record, Illadelph is my fav. I just think TFA is their most accessible to hip hop fans.

Co-Sign
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:35 pm

I don't know about that. I think that honor goes to Do You Want More...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

Illadelph Halflife is my favorite Roots album, followed by Do You Want More.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul 2010, 10:36 am

KJ Styles wrote:
You can't go wrong with Do You Want More, Illadelph Halflife, or Things Fall Apart. All 3 are classics.

Cosign. Things Fall Apart is my personal favorite.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Roots - How I Got Over   The Roots - How I Got Over - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Roots - How I Got Over
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2