Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?

Go down 
+2
Esco
TheHazardous
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Empty
PostSubject: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 11:30 pm

What fraternity/sorority?
What was your experience like?
Why did you join?
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 12:25 am

nah, frats are not my thing man. Bunch of obnoxious douches at my school. Well, a lot of them are, some a cool though. I gets its a matter of personal preferences. I know a lot of freshmen who 'rushed' and its basically being a bitch to frat members as initiation. Me and my friend played ball against 3 frat kids and they kept calling their 'initiate' a little bitch, and saying go play defense you pussy, funny thing was the initiate was the best of the 3. I'm sure it differs from each frat, but there's no way I'd join one and be bossed around by some assholes who are a year older than me, just wouldn't happen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 12:38 am

I was on line for the alphas but I dropped with the quickness... I didn't really see any bad shit they did to my friends, but they did end up putting em through hell. before I dropped it was just usual bullshit, running in the middle of the night through the snow... sneering like a fucking fool, and other bullshit. Just wasn't my thing... had to keep myself from laughing the whole time wondering if these fuckers really took this shit that seriously. Then I know I wouldn't let another man hit me with out hitting the fucker back, so I dropped before that became an issue.

That said all the dudes in the frat were cool and we remained cool as hell throughout... as well as all my friends who stayed on line. Funny shit is I DJed some of their parties and shit... went to their official party once they became members and one of the original brothers got drunk and came up to me and told me they were upset I dropped cause I was their favorite...lol...funny shit.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 1:23 am

Yeah, I rushed some frat first semester of school. I had no intention to join, but the rushers got to drink for free all week. I'm good friends with a bunch of people in frats/sororities, though, and next to some exclusive parties, community work, etc. I don't think there's a point in joining. I guess it looks good on your transcript?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 1:24 am

the members butt fuck each other for years to come and some people get jobs and shit because of the membership.. but you really have to be all into the shit and brownnosing to get the benefits.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 7:12 pm

Esco wrote:
I'm sure it differs from each frat, but there's no way I'd join one and be bossed around by some assholes who are a year older than me, just wouldn't happen.

That's how I feel. I would never join one.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 7:20 pm

The whole culture is modeled after old money elitism, where the benefits become much more high stakes.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 7:21 pm

The whole culture is modeled after old money elitism, where the benefits become much more high stakes.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 9:43 pm

i basically cosign parts of SRP, Shaun, Esco, and Kid Joe's posts lol

Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010, 9:32 am

Thanx for your comments.

It really does depend on the organization. Some are great helping their community but usually the is merely for fun. If they really don't want you in they'll let you know.

These organizations have the ability to organize people who can have a real impact for a social cause. A lot of civil rights leaders were in such organization. It can also teach you how to run your own organization effectively. Some do it for connects, parties, and status.
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010, 11:30 am

TheHazardous wrote:
Thanx for your comments.

It really does depend on the organization. Some are great helping their community but usually the is merely for fun. If they really don't want you in they'll let you know.

These organizations have the ability to organize people who can have a real impact for a social cause. A lot of civil rights leaders were in such organization. It can also teach you how to run your own organization effectively. Some do it for connects, parties, and status.

That is true also. I forget where, but I read about someone talking about how they joined a music based sorority/fraternity and they were all treated equally and not put through a bullshit trial. I guess it just depends on what kind of people you're dealing with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010, 11:57 am

I think that's a poor excuse for the behavior of frats and sorority. You can help and organize and do a ton of shit without beating the shit out of your members and hazing. I think its fucking hilarious, like rich college kids playing gang banger, jumping people in and shit.

I would love for the NAACP to take a book from a frat... al sharpton will jump you in! join the NAACP.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010, 1:09 pm

lmao @ SRP

@ Esco: Music frats (at least around here) aren't traditional groups. Most of them that I know of don't even have their own house
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeTue 27 Jul 2010, 11:16 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think that's a poor excuse for the behavior of frats and sorority. You can help and organize and do a ton of shit without beating the shit out of your members and hazing. I think its fucking hilarious, like rich college kids playing gang banger, jumping people in and shit.

I would love for the NAACP to take a book from a frat... al sharpton will jump you in! join the NAACP.

How a particular frat behaves is reflective its leadership or lack there of. Never let idiots be in charge otherwise they'll mislead the group.

People have to keep in mind that these are exclusive groups with specific goals in mind. Some only accept a specific number of pledges and others use the hazing process to get rid of the undesirables. However most of the time if you're on line they want you. The hazing process is merely a formality to see if you're serious about joining. As long as you have a sense of humor most of the stuff will be stuff you can laugh about later. Most of that shit is stuff you'd do in truth or dare. The other part of the process is to achieve unity, and people become unified in strife. However the strife is artificially created. It's also subtle way to teach you their values, they want you to learn a specific lesson with each act. However I think movies about colleges have conflated their true purpose so a lot of them have become just about partying. People join because of legacy and others to shore their social deficiencies. It's not that other organizations structured differently can do the same thing but if you let your organization become like myspace where anybody can get in and everybody is talking but how many actually have something to say? HH4L is semi-elitist, sure it's open invitation but the only folks that seek this place out are those who have something interesting to say. We're here because we're sick of the BS associated with a censored forum. This is also how we filtered out the undesirables.

Or at least that's one way of seeing it.

(The military hazes for the same reason even if they don't call it that. If you can't hack basic they are not interested in having you in the first place.)
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 11:47 am

Shaun wrote:
lmao @ SRP

@ Esco: Music frats (at least around here) aren't traditional groups. Most of them that I know of don't even have their own house

Yea I figured they weren't traditional since my school doesn't even have music based frats. Sounds like a bad ass idea though.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Jul 2010, 4:17 pm

i basically co sign parts of what everyone in here said, im not in one but i think the experience greatly differs based on the school, the chapter , etc that its hard to speak for them all, but im pretty sure what everyone said is true at least somewhere
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?   Any yall a part of an official  fraternity or sorority? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any yall a part of an official fraternity or sorority?
Page 1 of 1