Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Classics & the coveted 5 star rating

Go down 
+4
boet
parker lewis
Half
Myestro
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Empty
PostSubject: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:30 pm

The term classics and the 5 star rating are often used, for a variety of reasons. So, with that being said, in your humble opinion, what ultimately makes a classic/5 star album to you? Some questions to consider are:

*If an album has a certain number of "skip tracks", does that affect the rating?

*Due to a certain number of skip tracks, if any, does the material surrounding it (assuming it's all strong) cancel out, if you will, the filler on said album?

*Is it possible to give an album 5 stars on the very first listen?

Either way, whether you consider these questions or not it's on, but it's all about discussing what makes a 5 star classic in your opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:31 pm

To me, a classic is a 4 star album that I don't call classic and there are other albums in an artists discog I call classic and better.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 24 Aug 2010, 10:47 pm

Took something I said and made a thread out of it? I want royalties, dammit!

My feeling is that a 5 star album should have absolutely no "skip tracks", unless that phrase covers skits and interludes too. A few of those are acceptable, if they fit into the theme of the album. i.e. the skits on Deltron 3030. It might be possible for some to give an album 5 stars on the very first listen, but not for me. I'd have to give it more than one listen, with one of those devoted to trying to find flaws.

As far as "classic" goes...I think that involves being innovative, original, and able to withstand the test of time. I don't consider anything recent (within the last 5 years or so) to be a classic. Sure some albums have the potential to be, but it's too soon to really tell. I look at like NFL draft picks...some players might be looked at as a bust, but they might just take time to develop. Some albums might just need some time to grow on people.

I know everyone overuses the word classic, and I'm sure I'm guilty of it too. And when people say "personal classic", I just look at it as another way of saying "favorite".

But I do think this thread was a good idea. I'd like to see other people's perspective, and then maybe I'll understand how so many albums can be rated so highly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 10:10 am

5 stars: very limited skip trks, flow of the album perfect or near, rapper/beats in perfect harmony, and replay value. And I do not think an album should be rated 5 stars after the 1st listen.

Classic- Only time imo can tell true classic.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 10:14 am

KRob86 wrote:
5 stars: very limited skip trks, flow of the album perfect or near, rapper/beats in perfect harmony, and replay value. And I do not think an album should be rated 5 stars after the 1st listen.

Classic- Only time imo can tell true classic.

Complete cosign here
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 10:19 am

I think an album can be 5 and still have a skip or two, depending on the overall experience. I would also say it's alright to give an album 5 on the first listen, if that's what you feel...it describes your opinion of what you just heard. The problem here is that some stubborn folk might not adjust their rating as time affects their opinion.

A 5 on first glance is no less speculative than a 4 or a 3.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 10:36 am

I think some classics need time to mature, but occasionally there is an instant beast that can't be denied.

For example (this isn't just another plug...relevant to the discussion), I've spun Cape Verde about a hundred times since I first heard it. I have no problem calling this album classic. This will always be one of my favorite albums, I have no doubt.

The last time I felt this way was with Shapeshifters, and I stand by that one, too.

I think a lot of tensions arise on the subject when someone gets egocentric about it, and expects everyone else to hold their opinions. Or, they become insulting toward those who disagree (because they, themselves feel insulted that others don't share their opinions).

And, then there are those who feel that classic albums should be universally labeled as such...well, guess what? There are absolutely none of those. Not Illamtic, not Things Fall Apart, nothing. There is no true consensus classic.

That said, I do understand what the term means as it's used...and both of those albums certainly qualify. Some fools, however, love to throw the word "consensus" around to justify their opinions, or establish some ridiculous form of hierarchy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 12:39 pm

There are plenty concensus classics. Which imo goes hand in hand with a majority.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

Yes there are...there are also plenty of albums that aren't even close. But, I see a certain dummy calling everything he favors "consensus" just to gain some sort of higher ground...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:04 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Yes there are...there are also plenty of albums that aren't even close. But, I see a certain dummy calling everything he favors "consensus" just to gain some sort of higher ground...

LOL I feel you. While I do not feel the man is a dummy he does throw that around a lot especially for east coast artist albums.
Back to top Go down
boet
The REAL Ninja 'Round These Parts
boet

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:05 pm

Frankly, I don't really understand the whole rating thing. I dunno, maybe its an american thing, like, even when I watch all these american sports, even futbol, you guys come up with some pretty fuckin amazing statistics, lol, an they always sponsored by bud lite or the marines. But anyway, back to the matter at hand. If you had to ask me what albums rank 4.5 or whatever I'd have no cooking clue. There's albums that I love, an listen to on a more regular basis, just as there's songs I love on an album I don't completely njoy, a so called 1.25 may have a so called five star song onnit. As for "classic", ya I suppose, but I dunno, I LIKE illmatic, or any one of the consensus classics, but classic? Personally, no... A classic to me is MY favourite shit. Just cos a whole bunch of other dudes mutually agree that something is the greatest ever, doesn't mean I must agree based on the idea that lots o other people do.

Dankie...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:10 pm

I feel you Sinj, we (Americans) do tend to over do it when it comes to always having to group things and put titles on everything and etc etc. It can really take the soul or true connection out the listening experience if you are just worried about how it rates or where it falls.
Back to top Go down
boet
boet

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I feel you Sinj, we (Americans) do tend to over do it when it comes to always having to group things and put titles on everything and etc etc. It can really take the soul or true connection out the listening experience if you are just worried about how it rates or where it falls.

true words dog... Never really thought of it like that way but I completely agree actually.

I think the whole rating system brings more conflict than anything,

Crikey that's bad grammar up there, too lazy to fix it now on ma berry. This typing shit takes forever.

Last edited by Sinj on Wed 25 Aug 2010, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:35 pm

Sinj wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

true words dog... Never really thought of it like that way but I completely agree actually.

Definitely. Especially when somebody rates something higher/lower in the past and then recently gives a different rating. People love to call out people on that on this site.
Back to top Go down
boet
boet

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:42 pm

Half wrote:
Sinj wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Definitely. Especially when somebody rates something higher/lower in the past and then recently gives a different rating. People love to call out people on that on this site.

Ja you see I dunno bout that though. Like I could see how when I fist listened to the sun rises in the east, I thought that shit was the bomb, but now, years later, I won't bump it as regularly. So I suppose my "rating" would over time change
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 3:44 pm

Sinj wrote:
Half wrote:
Sinj wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Ja you see I dunno bout that though. Like I could see how when I fist listened to the sun rises in the east, I thought that shit was the bomb, but now, years later, I won't bump it as regularly. So I suppose my "rating" would over time change

Yeah exactly. That's why I don't understand the conflict.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 8:48 pm

to be a true classic there needs to be innovation. It has to do something original whether that is create a new formula or expand on an old formula in such a way that it sounds like it is on a completely elevated level.

The 5 star rating is rarely thrown out by me ever.

Personal classics are albums i like a lot, i do not equate the term personal classic with 5 stars.

Classics and Personal classics can have skip tracks

i believe there is an objective difference among "5 star" albums regardless if theyre both "rated 5 stars", theres just some albums that are superior from a musical standpoint than others, regardless of a personal opinion

no, its not possible to call an album classic on first listen, only time will telll

i also judge classics on highs and lows rather than the amount of skip tracks.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
to be a true classic there needs to be innovation. It has to do something original whether that is create a new formula or expand on an old formula in such a way that it sounds like it is on a completely elevated level.

Personal classics are albums i like a lot, i do not equate the term personal classic with 5 stars.

i believe there is an objective difference among "5 star" albums regardless if theyre both "rated 5 stars", theres just some albums that are superior from a musical standpoint than others, regardless of a personal opinion

no, its not possible to call an album classic on first listen, only time will telll

Yeah the number of skip tracks isnt' too important unless its like a third of the tracks, then you have a problem
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 8:32 pm

Half wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

Yeah the number of skip tracks isnt' too important unless its like a third of the tracks, then you have a problem

Isn't 5-stars supposed to be the perfect rating though? Like I said, if skits count, those should be the only "skip tracks", as long as they still fit in the album. Otherwise, it can't be perfect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 8:34 pm

An album can still be 5 stars with one skip track if it maintains it's replay value.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 8:37 pm

An album cannot be 5 stars with skip tracks, but it can be a personal and consensus, but not all-time classic.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 8:46 pm

I, personally, will not give a 5 star rating to an album wiffff a skip track (unless it's a skit, on rare occasions)
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 8:49 pm

Shaun wrote:
I, personally, will not give a 5 star rating to an album wiffff a skip track (unless it's a skit, on rare occasions)

Same. I'd give Deltron 3030 the 5-star rating, but all the skits fit the story the album tells.

Same can be said with Prince Among Thieves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 9:23 pm

A Prince Among Thieves is really really fucking terrible IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeMon 06 Sep 2010, 10:59 pm

Jeff wrote:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 12:24 am

No. You tell your Ed Love picture you love so much to get the fuck out of here. No one wants to see him puckering his lips for you anymore. The joke was stale after you did it twice. And Prince Among Thieves sucks IMO. Bet I'm not the only person to feel that way. Bet.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 9:23 am

lol @ "bet"...I used to have a friend who said that shit a hundred times a day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 1:55 pm

I agree that a real 5-star classic has no skip tracks. Playing from the beginning of Side A to end of Side B or from first track to last track. I think over the years, people have really gotten use to mediocre shit, so they are willing to give the nod to an album that may have two or three skip tracks, because the album itself has twenty-three tracks. I hate to sound like a mark for Nas, but the format, sequencing, and songs are perfect on Illmatic. An intro and nine songs, all produced by the premier (no pun) producers of the day, who all seem to be feeding off one another to produce the illest track on the album. Sans the Q-Tip hook on One Love, there was one guest appearance (AZ). I don't see the cohesiveness on albums today anymore, in this hot single one minute, forgotten about three months later, music industry.

Sometimes I wonder about hip-hop albums today. With thirty guest appearances and a different producer on every track of an album, who's really getting paid?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 2:03 pm

Jeff wrote:
No. You tell your Ed Love picture you love so much to get the fuck out of here. No one wants to see him puckering his lips for you anymore. The joke was stale after you did it twice. And Prince Among Thieves sucks IMO. Bet I'm not the only person to feel that way. Bet.

A Prince Among Thieves is an excellent album, easily one of the best concept albums of all time IMO.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
lol @ "bet"...I used to have a friend who said that shit a hundred times a day.

haha we used to always say "I'll bet you any money"
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeTue 07 Sep 2010, 7:59 pm

Jeff wrote:

I wasn't saying it was 5-stars, just using it as another example of when skits fit the story that the album is telling.

I do like Prince Among Thieves though, and would probably give it around a 4.5 (or closer to 4.25). But, that wasn't my point.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2010, 8:30 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
I think some classics need time to mature, but occasionally there is an instant beast that can't be denied.

For example (this isn't just another plug...relevant to the discussion), I've spun Cape Verde about a hundred times since I first heard it. I have no problem calling this album classic. This will always be one of my favorite albums, I have no doubt.

The last time I felt this way was with Shapeshifters, and I stand by that one, too.

I think a lot of tensions arise on the subject when someone gets egocentric about it, and expects everyone else to hold their opinions. Or, they become insulting toward those who disagree (because they, themselves feel insulted that others don't share their opinions).

And, then there are those who feel that classic albums should be universally labeled as such...well, guess what? There are absolutely none of those. Not Illamtic, not Things Fall Apart, nothing. There is no true consensus classic.

That said, I do understand what the term means as it's used...and both of those albums certainly qualify. Some fools, however, love to throw the word "consensus" around to justify their opinions, or establish some ridiculous form of hierarchy.

Cape Verde is no doubt a beast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classics & the coveted 5 star rating   Classics & the coveted 5 star rating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classics & the coveted 5 star rating
Page 1 of 1