Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Grand Puba - Retroactive

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

Grand Puba - Retroactive Empty
PostSubject: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 1:58 pm

Who's heard it?

Grand Puba - Retroactive Wm1ddw
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 2:30 pm

I haven't heard it yet, do you have a leak for it?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 2:36 pm

Google it, should be easy to find a blog with a link. I'm about half way through the album now. There are a couple of so-so songs so far, and the hooks are kinda corny. Production is nice though, and Puba also for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 2:50 pm

I was quite surprised by this. The production is very solid throughout. One of the best albums this year for me. After a couple spins I'd give it a 4.5.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 5:14 pm

I heard it earlier today...

So far, not diggin it too much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 6:36 pm

I need to check out this new puba album when I get a chance. I've only heard the I see dead people track so far.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009, 7:54 pm

this one is a must buy I've already heard 3 tracks on it so far that I like
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 8:10 pm

I just listened to the leak, and I don't understand the hate that some of you have for this album.

The only thing I can imagine is that many of you don't care for the R&B hooks, but personally I dig them. I have this album at 4 stars after the first spin. "This Joint Right Here" has a remix too with Sadat and Jamar, I'm probably feelin that track the most. "Good To Go" with Q-Tip is a banger as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 8:17 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I just listened to the leak, and I don't understand the hate that some of you have for this album.

The only thing I can imagine is that many of you don't care for the R&B hooks, but personally I dig them. I have this album at 4 stars after the first spin. "This Joint Right Here" has a remix too with Sadat and Jamar, I'm probably feelin that track the most. "Good To Go" with Q-Tip is a banger as well.

Being your first Grand Puba album you probably feel that way KJ, but if you go back to listen to some of his solos in the 1990s you'd know why people are disappointed, this is nothing compared to back then when he was dropping nothing but heat rocks. Back then he was being considered GOAT by many and now he just doesn't sound as sharp. He's not even an underground GOAT right now.

You need to order some of his older CDs, I can find the amazon links for you if you need them or Norf might have them on his blog.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 8:46 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Being your first Grand Puba album you probably feel that way KJ, but if you go back to listen to some of his solos in the 1990s you'd know why people are disappointed, this is nothing compared to back then when he was dropping nothing but heat rocks. Back then he was being considered GOAT by many and now he just doesn't sound as sharp. He's not even an underground GOAT right now.

You need to order some of his older CDs, I can find the amazon links for you if you need them or Norf might have them on his blog.

First Grand Puba album??? You're DELUSIONAL SRP! I've been following Puba since One For All! I own all Brand Nubian albums, and also own both of his previous solo albums.

You often accuse me of pigeonholing yet you FAIL to see when you do it yourself!!!

I like this album. Granted it's not a classic but it's enjoyable. The production is pretty good, and he's above average lyrically. It's not as good as Reel To Reel but I'd say it's on par with 2000.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 8:54 pm

Just from the way you were talking it sounded like you were real unfamiliar with his work KJ. Didn't mean to put a hole in your pigeon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 8:59 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Just from the way you were talking it sounded like you were real unfamiliar with his work KJ. Didn't mean to put a hole in your pigeon.

I love Brand Nubian man, especially Puba. While I agree that this doesn't compare to One For All, In God We Trust, or Foundation, it's still a good album.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitimeMon 22 Jun 2009, 11:46 pm

"I love Brand Nubian man, especially Puba. While I agree that this doesn't compare to One For All, In God We Trust, or Foundation, it's still a good album."

Co-sign!! Puba still has it. Granted he used different production from newcomers, this album is a standout for 2009. Folks have to understand that Puba is 43 years old. He is still dope, but not like he was in his mid to late 20s. I think given the right production (Large Pro, Premier, Alamo, Marley Marl, Pete Rock), the album would have been better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grand Puba - Retroactive   Grand Puba - Retroactive Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grand Puba - Retroactive
Page 1 of 1