Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)

Go down 
+5
TheHazardous
T. Myers
Laced With Slang
parker lewis
Shaun
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Empty
PostSubject: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:13 pm

I copped the newest issue of XXL magazine and inside they had an article about who they selected as the best 10 producers on the mic (actual name of the article is top 10 producers turned rappers, but work with me here, lol). The 10 they selected were:

Kanye West
The RZA
Dr. Dre
Diddy
Jermaine Dupri
Diamond D
Pharrell
Timbaland
Mannie Fresh
Swizz Beatz

Now, after reading that article, some choices I agree with, some I don't, but then again, there aren't too many producers who excelled on the mic. So what I decided to do here is match these 10 producers up against each other, and in your opinion, who is the superior producer not only behind the boards but on the mic as well?

The RZA vs. Dr. Dre

Diddy vs. Jermaine Dupri

Kanye West vs. Diamond D

Pharrell vs. Timbaland

Swizz vs. Mannie Fresh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:16 pm

Large Professor>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anyone on this list lyrically
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:18 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't mention him. But then again, in a way, I'm not surprised, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:20 pm

Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't mention him. But then again, in a way, I'm not surprised, lol.

Yeah XXL sucks as bad as The Source and Vibe. Half the guys on that list don't even write all their rhymes.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:20 pm

lmao @ most of that list
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:23 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:

Yeah XXL sucks as bad as The Source and Vibe. Half the guys on that list don't even write all their rhymes.

Remember how GOOD The Source was in its prime?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:23 pm

Shaun wrote:
lmao @ most of that list

I can only imagine the one you laughed out loud at, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:25 pm

Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:

Yeah, in the pre-Benzino era it was awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:26 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:

Yeah, in the pre-Benzino era it was awesome.

Yes indeed. I was a faithful reader of that magazine, but never did have a subscription Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:27 pm

I laughed out loud at all of them that weren't RZA, Diamond D, and possibly Kanye. Dre, too, if he wrote his own rhymes. The rest are terrible on the mic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:30 pm

Shaun wrote:
I laughed out loud at all of them that weren't RZA, Diamond D, and possibly Kanye. Dre, too, if he wrote his own rhymes. The rest are terrible on the mic.

Agreed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:30 pm

Shaun wrote:

Well, JD never impressed me on the mic. Diddy can be hit or miss (his best verse ever remains his verse from "Victory"). Pharrell, eh. Swizz, never should touch a mic ("I'll put your face where you muthaf***** back was/Tired of y'all n***** actors!" Seriously Swizz?????). Mannie never impressed me on the mic, obviously. I've always liked Timbaland on the boards, but on the mic, not so much.

Last edited by Wayne on Sat 02 Oct 2010, 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:34 pm

Wayne wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Well, JD never impressed me on the mic. Diddy can be hit or miss. Pharrell, eh. Swizz, never should touch a mic ("I'll put your face where you muthaf***** back was/Tired of y'all n***** actors!" Seriously Swizz?????). Mannie never impressed me on the mic, obviously. I've always liked Timbaland on the boards, but on the mic, not so much.

Yeah I agree with all of those assessments. Pharrell is a dope singer but a horrible rapper.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:35 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Well, JD never impressed me on the mic. Diddy can be hit or miss. Pharrell, eh. Swizz, never should touch a mic ("I'll put your face where you muthaf***** back was/Tired of y'all n***** actors!" Seriously Swizz?????). Mannie never impressed me on the mic, obviously. I've always liked Timbaland on the boards, but on the mic, not so much.

Yeah I agree with all of those assessments. Pharrell is a dope singer but a horrible rapper.

I think the ONLY times Pharrell was good on a verse was on the original and remix of "Drop It Like It's Hot".
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:35 pm

Swizz Beatz is the worst rapper ever.
Back to top Go down

KJ, did you laugh, shake your head, or both at the Swizz line, lol?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

The absence of Doom is just plain retarded.
Back to top Go down

Shaun wrote:

I don't think this guy ever had one quotable line.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:36 pm

I doubt anyone at XXL even knows who Doom is... lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:38 pm

Shaun wrote:
I doubt anyone at XXL even knows who Doom is... lol

They probably don't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:44 pm

Wayne wrote:

LMAO, funny thing is that's probably not even Swizz's worst verse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:46 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:

LMAO, funny thing is that's probably not even Swizz's worst verse.

You're right, lol. In that same verse, he also came back and said "I'm the n**** that'll make ya miss Christmas" or some nonsense, lol Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:50 pm

Shaun wrote:

Nah, I'd say Vanilla Ice, Souljah Boy, or Waka Flocka has that title.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:55 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Shaking My Head Can't believe all the attention "Waka Flocka" is getting. I have a funny story about this guy. A few months back, my family had a small gathering. His song "O Let's Do It" came on the radio. My younger cousin Trevon, who's about 9 or 10 (or 11, lol) was singing this song word for word, and here's the actual conversation, no BS, lol (I remember it like it was yesterday):

Wayne: You really like that song don't you?
Trevon: Yeah man! Don't you like it?!
W: Who is that anyway?
T: Waka Flocka!
W: WHO?????!!!!! (Remember how Carlito in "Carlito's Way" said who to Saso when he mentioned Steffie belonged to Benny Blanco? I said it in the EXACT SAME WAY, lol.)
T: (Laughing) Waka Flocka, don't you know him?
W: Who is that?!
T: That's my boy!

I actually felt a little old right there, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 6:58 pm

Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Shaking My Head Can't believe all the attention "Waka Flocka" is getting. I have a funny story about this guy. A few months back, my family had a small gathering. His song "O Let's Do It" came on the radio. My younger cousin Trevon, who's about 9 or 10 (or 11, lol) was singing this song word for word, and here's the actual conversation, no BS, lol (I remember it like it was yesterday):

W: WHO?????!!!!! (Remember how Carlito in "Carlito's Way" said who to Saso when he mentioned Steffie belonged to Benny Blanco? I said it in the EXACT SAME WAY, lol.)

I wish I didn't know who he was either, dude is straight up manure on the mic.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:00 pm

Apparently, he came to some local club around here last weekend. A bunch of people I know were talking about how he put on a dope show or something irrelevant like that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:02 pm

Shaun wrote:
Apparently, he came to some local club around here last weekend. A bunch of people I know were talking about how he put on a dope show or something irrelevant like that.

Probably was irrelevant if it was about him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:03 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Shaun wrote:

Shows you the unfortunate state of hip hop if someone like him can get a deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:04 pm

Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Shaun wrote:

EXACTLY!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:08 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Shaun wrote:

EXACTLY!!!

Someone like him could move a respectable number of units, and lets say a group like A Tribe Called Quest returned, and with a decent amount of hype, dropped a reunion album on the same day, you know what's going to happen right?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:13 pm

Corporate America decides who moves units and who gets deals. Blind consumerism and materialistic 'values', combined with an overall dumbing-down of the masses is the goal of those running our airwaves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:14 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
Corporate America decides who moves units and who gets deals. Blind consumerism and materialistic 'values', combined with an overall dumbing-down of the masses is the goal of those running our airwaves.

Can't argue with this answer Kid Joe.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:45 pm

hahahahahah at this list, wow, Swizz Beats is the worst rapper
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:47 pm

Where the fuck is DJ Quik?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:48 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Where the fuck is DJ Quik?

Good question.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:50 pm

my list would be something like

DOOM
Rza
Large Professor
Diamond D
Lil Fame
El-P
Lord Finesse
Esham
DJ Quik
Dr. Dre

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 7:51 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

DOOM
Rza
Large Professor
Diamond D
Lil Fame
El-P
Lord Finesse
Esham
DJ Quik
Dr. Dre

Lord Finesse is ANOTHER good choice too Slang. Good call on that one.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:23 pm

Rating Mic skills only.

The RZA vs. Dr. Dre
RZA, no ghostwriters needed

Diddy vs. Jermaine Dupri
Dupri, no ghostwriters needed

Kanye West vs. Diamond D
Kanye, cause I listen to him more

Pharrell vs. Timbaland
Pharrell, better vocally all around

Swizz vs. Mannie Fresh
Mannie, when did Swizz spit?

Production
The RZA vs. Dr. Dre
Dre

Diddy vs. Jermaine Dupri
WTF did Diddy, produce really? (add a hi-hat, I like that I like that!)

Kanye West vs. Diamond D
Mr. West

Pharrell vs. Timbaland
Timbaland

Swizz vs. Mannie Fresh
Mannie Fizzle
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:24 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

DOOM
Rza
Large Professor
Diamond D
Lil Fame
El-P
Lord Finesse
Esham
DJ Quik
Dr. Dre

That's a better list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:25 pm

TheHazardous wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

DOOM
Rza
Large Professor
Diamond D
Lil Fame
El-P
Lord Finesse
Esham
DJ Quik
Dr. Dre

That's a better list.

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:34 pm

XXL fucking sucks and I'm sad people choose this as their source for hip hop info. No wonder Drake and Jeezy are at the top of the charts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:35 pm

Half wrote:
XXL fucking sucks and I'm sad people choose this as their source for hip hop info. No wonder Drake and Jeezy are at the top of the charts

Again, when artists like those 2 are at the top, something is wrong in hip hop today. Never been a fan of Jeezy and I don't care for Drake.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:38 pm

Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

Again, when artists like those 2 are at the top, something is wrong in hip hop today. Never been a fan of Jeezy and I don't care for Drake.

Yeah I agree man, and no offense to people that read XXL but there are some people that probably just buy what mags like XXL give good ratings without thinking and that's a problem.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:39 pm

Half wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

Yeah I agree man, and no offense to people that read XXL but there are some people that probably just buy what mags like XXL give good ratings without thinking and that's a problem.

No offense taken. I mainly buy the mag just to have something to read at work, lol, since we're not allowed to surf the net, except for in an area called "The Business Center".
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:41 pm

Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

No offense taken. I mainly buy the mag just to have something to read at work, lol, since we're not allowed to surf the net, except for in an area called "The Business Center".

Yeah that's understandable. Are mags still expensive these days? I haven't bought one in a loooooong time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:42 pm

Half wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

Yeah that's understandable. Are mags still expensive these days? I haven't bought one in a loooooong time.

XXL I know is $4.99. I remember back when The Source, in its prime, was $2.99.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:45 pm

[quote="Half"]
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

Yeah exactly. XXL was a dope magazine when they started, just as 106 & Park was a dope show when it first aired. The quality of today's hip-hop scene has diminished the quality of both.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:45 pm

[quote="Big Daddy Kool"]
Half wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

Yeah exactly. XXL was a dope magazine when they started, just as 106 & Park was a dope show when it first aired. The quality of today's hip-hop scene has diminished the quality of both.

Absolutely. Good points.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:47 pm

I kinda miss Rap City The Bassment
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitimeSat 02 Oct 2010, 8:49 pm

[quote="Big Daddy Kool"]
Half wrote:
Wayne wrote:
Half wrote:

Absolutely. Good points.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)   Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top Ten best producers on the mic (according to XXL)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: General Hip-Hop Discussion-
Jump to: