Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Atmosphere - Family Sign

Go down 
+4
Laced With Slang
Alan
T. Myers
SyRuP Sippa
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

Atmosphere - Family Sign Empty
PostSubject: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 7:54 pm

Anyone?

I think this forum is slipping man... new releases come by and no posts... and I know some of y'all gotta have some good recs right?

Let's get this place going again.

Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 7:58 pm

I don't think anyone cares so I just stop talking about new shit
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:02 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I don't think anyone cares so I just stop talking about new shit

What? Seems like people talk about new stuff quite often. You brought this album up a long time ago Terry....

Nobody really brought this album up again because it looks like the worst Atmosphere release to date. I hail from MN and love MN hip-hop, and I'm not even going to pick this one up. I'm debating on whether or not I'll download it for a spin.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:06 pm

It's not very good to be honest. I love Ant's beats and it's typical Slug on the mic but it seems lifeless and bland
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:09 pm

Damn, I know you touched on it before Pounds, but what about it got you thinking it sucks before you even hear it?

And yeah ,Terry, I get what you mean, but man, I get more recs from Juice alone on the amazon forums... even if all the shit he recs sounds the same, it's still something
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:15 pm

T. Myers wrote:
It's not very good to be honest. I love Ant's beats and it's typical Slug on the mic but it seems lifeless and bland

Indeed. Judging by the first single, it sounds like they are following suit with their "To All My Friends...." double EP. Not a fan of this direct at all.

Moreover, the EP material is supposed to be that fun Slug and Ant signature sound shit. They burned that bridge with the double EP. I mean, I would not have been happy if the free "Strictly Leakage" LP sounded exactly the same as the "Lemons" record. They delivered to all audiences with the awesomeness of those releases...not to mention some of the excellent material on their 4 season EPs. Now they pushed the "Lemons" formula in a rockier direction and just completely lost Ant's signature sound.....at least from the first single...IMO.

You say you love Ant's beats...even on this record? I mean, are these some fly Ant beats or what? That would be the only reason I buy this album....

I can't believe I'm asking you for your opinion on the album. Nobody I know in MN bought it because the change in direction....I guess I'm friends with a bunch of haters.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:16 pm

Download Big Jess' 2 new solo albums for FREE if you're looking for good MN hip-hop....

http://unknownprophets.com/
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:19 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Damn, I know you touched on it before Pounds, but what about it got you thinking it sucks before you even hear it?

And yeah ,Terry, I get what you mean, but man, I get more recs from Juice alone on the amazon forums... even if all the shit he recs sounds the same, it's still something

Aside from the post I just posted, the editorial description put out by Rhymesayers had me puking while I read it. It basically laid out everything I don't want in an Atmosphere record, with plenty of masturbatory vernacular.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 8:33 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Anyone?

I think this forum is slipping man... new releases come by and no posts... and I know some of y'all gotta have some good recs right?

Let's get this place going again.

i agree people need to post more new stuff/recs...i try when i can

im about to spin the new D12 ill let everyone know how that is
Back to top Go down
amy
So Fabolous
So Fabolous
amy

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 1:38 am

What?! ..really?

I'm diggin the new album, a few joints I could have done without..but I like the vibe, Ant makes some of the best beats, the vibe and instrumentation is just so right when he's on..I admit the single and she's enough didn't have me very enthused..but I downloaded it and was pleasantly surprised..not amazing, but above average (imo)

Favorites as of now...

Who I'll Never Be
The Last To Say
You're Name Here
I don't Need Brighter Days
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 1:48 am

This album plays like the sequel to Lemons.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeWed 13 Apr 2011, 1:52 am

There's no recs lately because there's really nothing great to listen to, aside from the 5-6 albums everyone already knows about.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeThu 14 Apr 2011, 6:28 pm

parker lewis wrote:
This album plays like the sequel to Lemons.

Boooo....

I understand some people may love this aspect of the album (newer fans, I would guess), but my heart is with the sequel to God Loves Ugly.

I'm gonna have to break down and listen to this. I just fear it will lead to more complaining...lol (sorry!)
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeMon 02 May 2011, 11:28 pm

Ok, so I've spun this about a dozen or more times now. I can def see why fans of Atmosphere's older albums would not dig this. I would say it sounds more in the same vein of To All My Friends than a sequel to Lemons, although I see how Parker could say that. It follows in that progression I guess. To me, this album has its stand out tracks but overall didn't give me the same satisfaction as previous albums. Something sounded like it was missing. She's Enough makes me wanna throw up...seriously. Horrible, horrible song. Slug sounds soooooooo gay on that track rappin about savin hoes...smh. The beats are def all dope, though. Ant always does his thing no matter what style he touches, IMO. He seems to have no problem with these rockish, guitar inspired beats. Here's the ratings...

1. My Key - 7/10
2. The Last To Say - 8/10
3. Became - 9/10 (Dope ass story, good metaphor)
4. Just For Show - 6/10 (It was aight for a single)
5. She's Enough - 0/10
6. Bad Bad Daddy - 6/10
7. Millennium Dodo - 9/10 (Love the beat, love the flow)
8. Who I'll Never Be - 7/10
9. I Don't Need Brighter Days - 8/10
10. Ain't Nobody - 6/10
11. Your Name Here - 8/10 (Great Ex Song)
12. If You Can Save Me Now - 8/10 (Sounds Like "Like The Rest Of Us Part 2")
13. Something So - 8/10 (A lot better when baked)
14. My Notes - 7/10

Overall - 3.5

In the end, even though there are some really good songs on this album, I don't want to play it as much I did with previous Atmosphere albums.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeFri 06 May 2011, 10:44 pm

Thanks Wanduras. I gave you a + vote.

Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Atmosphere - Family Sign   Atmosphere - Family Sign Icon_minitimeSun 28 Aug 2011, 9:56 pm

I didn't like this at all. Going into the album I wasn't expecting a really dope release, but from reading this thread it sounded like it was going to be similar to When Life Gives You Lemons, which I liked when I heard it. This was just boring all the way through for me. There isn't a track I'd be comfortable saying I like on here. Really subdued and slow to mid-tempo beats and some really "emo" lyrics. Not a formula for success in my eyes. I guess as a disclaimer, I'm not really into Atmosphere. I've heard 3-4 releases from these guys and I never thought any were great, although until now I did enjoy what I heard to some degree. This is weak as fuck to me though. I guess I can't say I really hated a song on here, but after a while it was work to pay attention. 2.5 stars is the most I can give this. It's probably gonna end up being lower. It's a lot like Median's The Sender (I can review that if you want, seems like a waste of time to me though) in that it's constantly dull. The difference though is that The Sender had this track: