Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chatbox

Go down 
+9
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Laced With Slang
gametheory91
Funk Seoul Brother
T. Myers
KJ Styles
SyRuP Sippa
Highsmith
Half
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

Chatbox  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox    Chatbox  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jul 2011, 12:42 am

Hey Half, I heard it was originally supposed to be a mixtape, but then they added some more tracks and turned it into a free album.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Chatbox  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox    Chatbox  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jul 2011, 12:43 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
that G-Side song is real dope im planning to check that out real soon...ive bumped the One from time to time since its release this year, real dope album

Hey yo check this thread out Big Grin SRP needs to review something man

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Chatbox  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox    Chatbox  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jul 2011, 12:43 am

gametheory91 wrote:
Hey Half, I heard it was originally supposed to be a mixtape, but then they added some more tracks and turned it into a free album.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Cold Loungin

Chatbox  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox    Chatbox  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jul 2011, 3:51 am

Half wrote:
Ok here are two more reviews...and a couple more are coming after these.

"Your MySpace page looks like it's for a gay French model!"

Bigfoot - Giant Steps (4.25 stars)
Whoa, this really surprised me. Got this Australian hip hop rec from lounge. I have no idea about the back story of this guy and this is the first I've ever heard of him, but I'm really impressed by this. It's mostly aggressive hardcore hip hop. Bigfoot definitely seems like he has respect for the classics and the traditional boom bap hip hop sound. It took me a while to get used to his accent, and at first it sounded like he was a bit over the top with his angry vocals, but after 2 or 3 tracks it just started to click with me. I found it constantly entertaining. A lot of the guest rappers were pretty funny on the mic (the above quote is from a guest) and the album had a nice split between darker angrier tracks and more upbeat tracks. After one spin I like this quite a bit. Check it out.

I'm glad you liked it Half, I had a feeling you might so thanks for taking the time to check it. I think it's a pretty strong album by Bigfoot, excellent quality of music and he shows to be extremely solid both producing and on the mic, he's got lotsa cool punchlines too. And you're right about the traditinal hiphop thing, there is an underlying pure old school feel to some of the beats and rappin in this record, which sets it apart from most anything that's being released these days.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Chatbox  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox    Chatbox  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 5:57 pm

Lounge wrote:
Half wrote:
Ok here are two more reviews...and a couple more are coming after these.

"Your MySpace page looks like it's for a gay French model!"

Bigfoot - Giant Steps (4.25 stars)
Whoa, this really surprised me. Got this Australian hip hop rec from lounge. I have no idea about the back story of this guy and this is the first I've ever heard of him, but I'm really impressed by this. It's mostly aggressive hardcore hip hop. Bigfoot definitely seems like he has respect for the classics and the traditional boom bap hip hop sound. It took me a while to get used to his accent, and at first it sounded like he was a bit over the top with his angry vocals, but after 2 or 3 tracks it just started to click with me. I found it constantly entertaining. A lot of the guest rappers were pretty funny on the mic (the above quote is from a guest) and the album had a nice split between darker angrier tracks and more upbeat tracks. After one spin I like this quite a bit. Check it out.

I'm glad you liked it Half, I had a feeling you might so thanks for taking the time to check it. I think it's a pretty strong album by Bigfoot, excellent quality of music and he shows to be extremely solid both producing and on the mic, he's got lotsa cool punchlines too. And you're right about the traditinal hiphop thing, there is an underlying pure old school feel to some of the beats and rappin in this record, which sets it apart from most anything that's being released these days.

No problem man, feel free to rec me stuff at any time in the chatbox...I may not always like it but I'll give it a try. So far all the stuff I've been recommended is good though, which is cool.

X-Raided and Tech N9ne reviews coming soon....

I feel like this thread should be moved into Gen Hip Hop considering the turn it took lol
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Chatbox  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chatbox    Chatbox  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

Tech N9ne - All 6's and 7's (3 stars)

KJ rec'd me this, and I figured this would be pretty good, judging by my past experiences with Tech (I like Anghellic and Absolute Power), and that it seems pretty much everyone on this forum that has heard this likes it. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case upon my first listen. I'll get this out of the way first - Tech is a damn good rapper. He's really impressive in the way that he can utilize so many different flow styles, sometimes attacking a track at hyperspeed and other times taking it slow, and he also does a pretty good job of conveying emotions through his speech. I've never had a problem with his performances on the mic. He once again does a pretty good job on the mic on these tracks. Furthermore, most of the tracks on the album have pretty good production and I dig a lot of the beats.
However, this album has some big problems (in my opinion) that really left a bad taste in my mouth. First of all, the choruses...those fucking choruses. I honestly can't think of a track on here that had a good chorus, although a couple were OK (such as the one on Delusional). I especially hate the choruses that sound like they were ripped straight off a Godsmack/Staind album...Worldwide Choppers is a great example of this. Why does this track need a chorus like this? Everybody on this track does such a great job on the mic, the beat is good, but I can't get past the lame chorus at all. Another thing is that I think the album is trying to appeal to almost every kind of listener. There are club/party tracks, emo tracks, and some tracks meant for hardcore fans. There's also a track that sounds like a wannabe Linkin Park joint (If I Could). The saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" seems to apply here. Finally, the album is a bit too long...Tech could have cut a couple tracks out without ruining the cohesion. I'm not a Tech "hater", but I'm not feeling this album at all right now. I'm giving it 3 stars just based on the nice mic performances by Tech and most of his guests, and the quality of most of the beats. Listening to Ancient Future to clear my head...here's a track I like though: