Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Al's 2009 recap #1

Go down 
+5
Half
Funk Seoul Brother
parker lewis
Norfeest
Alan
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:06 pm

Best Of 2009 (RANKED):

Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati (5 stars)
Bicasso & DJ Fresh - Rebel Musiq LP (5 stars)
Brother Ali - The Truth Is Here EP (5 stars)
Inverse - So True EP (5 stars)
Dela - Changes of Atmosphere (4.5 stars)
UGK - UGK 4 Life (4.5 stars)
Atmosphere - Leak At Will (4.5 stars)
Tiye Phoenix - Half Woman Half Amazin' (4.5 stars)
Rise & The Avid Record Collector - Risen (4.25 stars)
B-Real - Smoke N Mirrors (4.25 stars)
Mr. Lif - I Heard It Today (4.25 stars)
Blame One - Days Chasing Days (4.25 stars)
Raashan Ahmad - Soul Power (4 stars)
G&E (Grouch & Eligh, The) - Say G&E! (4 stars)
Kero One - Early Believers (4 stars)
Mos Def - The Ecstatic (4 stars)
Big Quarters - From The Home Of Brown Babies & White Mothers (4 stars)
Afro Classics (Scarub & Very) - Classic EP (4 stars)
Jay Dee (J Dilla) - Jay Stay Paid (4 stars)
X-Clan - Mainstream Outlaw (4 stars)
Myka Nyne - 1969 (4 stars)
Wu-Tang - Chamber Music (4 stars)
Eligh & Jo Wilkinson - On Sacred Ground (4 stars)
Kanser - Table Scraps 3 (4 stars)
P.O.S. - Never Better (4 stars)
Ecid - Red Beretta (4 stars)
Finale - A Pipe Dream And A Promise (4 stars)
MF Doom - Born Like This (3.75 stars)
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Funk Man (3.75 stars)
Street Sweeper Social Club (Boots Riley & Tom Morello) (3.5 stars)
Chali 2na - Fish Outta Water (3.5 stars)
Marco Polo & Torae - Double Barrel (3.5 stars)
Exile - Radio (3.5 stars)
Trama - Mr. T (The .zip Tape) (3.5 stars)
Braille & S1 - Cloud Nineteen (3.25 stars)
Eligh - A Beautiful View EP (3.25 stars)
Zion I - The Take Over (3 stars)
Common Market - The Winters End EP (3 stars)
Eyedea & Abilities - By The Throat (2.5 stars)
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:26 pm

Damn, AP. I didn't know half of these albums even existed. lol

Of the ones I've heard, Finale, Mos, & Wu seem to be accurately represented here. There are some (Tanya Morgan, Lif, Atmosphere, UGK) that are rated higher than I'd have them. And there are three that I think are underrated (Dilla, Dela, Common Market).

I clearly have some exploring to do...

Is that E&A really that bad? That surprises me coming from you.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:37 pm

Al, you gotta check out Divine Minds with Soulklap: The Quan.

I think you'd dig it a lot. A free album. U.N.I. with Ro Blvd: Love Supreme is another free album that should be heard by you.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:47 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Damn, AP. I didn't know half of these albums even existed. lol

Of the ones I've heard, Finale, Mos, & Wu seem to be accurately represented here. There are some (Tanya Morgan, Lif, Atmosphere, UGK) that are rated higher than I'd have them. And there are three that I think are underrated (Dilla, Dela, Common Market).

I clearly have some exploring to do...

Is that E&A really that bad? That surprises me coming from you.

Oh yeah, all personal ratings here. So I expect there to be some disagreements...

The Tanya Morgan is one I've bumped more than any album this year...except maybe Bicasso. They may not be the most mind-blowing rappers, but I dig all their styles, and they are all pretty unique and bring freshness to the table IMO. Von Pea is killing it with those beats. And I dig the concept of the record as well as their humor their take on life. So based on replay value, this is my #1 or #2 of '09 for me (that Bicasso & DJ Fresh is a killer).

Mr. Lif may get knocked down to 4 stars after some more spins. I like the beats, but they are not top notch. However, I think he sounds more comfortable and confident over these beats. I liked it quite a bit more than Mo Mega. Lyrically I really dig it.

Atmosphere....what can I say. I'm a MN junkie. I like it when they release the free albums and EP's and give the fans the heavy midwest-funk regional sound they excel at. They tend to be a bit more innovative ambitious on full-lengths, but I love Ant's funky beats. This has gotten a bunch of spins.

UGK...not feeling that as much? I can see it at 4 stars but no less objectively. I personally loved most of it and feel it's one of the year's best so far.

What do you give Dilla? 5 stars? Can't say I like this as much as "Donuts". I actually do like it more with every spin, but it's still about 4 stars with me.

I can see Dela at 5 stars easily. There is just a couple tracks I don't love as much as the rest. So I give it 4.5 stars.

And the E&A is that bad IMO. 2.5 stars is being generous. lol
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:48 pm

Kid Joe wrote:

I think you'd dig it a lot. A free album. U.N.I. with Ro Blvd: Love Supreme is another free album that should be heard by you.

Co-Sign UNI & Ro Blvd. I find myself unable to stop playing it.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:54 pm

Kid Joe wrote:

Downloading both at the moment. Can you tell me anymore info about the artists to entice me to burn an listen to these? lol...perhaps a little description of what they are...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 4:55 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Kid Joe wrote:

Co-Sign UNI & Ro Blvd. I find myself unable to stop playing it.

Nice...2 cosigns is good enough to convince me...lol

Divine Minds...they sound familiar, but I don't think I heard of them.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 5:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 6:46 pm

Steve wrote:
no, its off one of their older ones. water for mars is solid but their self titled and evolution fight are their strongest albums, check those first.

the song is off their grey matter ep from 2k7

Agree 100%.

@ Alan: Stay away from Pretty Dark Things. My least fav album from them.
Back to top Go down

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009, 8:47 pm

Steve wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e_jCy3869k

there you go al.

solid group, you will enjoy them thoroughly if you honestly listen to them i am sure.

Damn, that shit is BANGIN!!!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 2:45 pm

Cise Starr wrote:
Steve wrote:
no, its off one of their older ones. water for mars is solid but their self titled and evolution fight are their strongest albums, check those first.

the song is off their grey matter ep from 2k7

Agree 100%.

@ Alan: Stay away from Pretty Dark Things. My least fav album from them.

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and check out "Water For Mars" first anyway. I just sampled through the first 3 of your favorites here, and I'm digging that shit a lot...gotta get this in the stereo now! lol

I'll check out the early stuff too.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 2:58 pm

Alan wrote:

Well, I'm gonna go ahead and check out "Water For Mars" first anyway. I just sampled through the first 3 of your favorites here, and I'm digging that shit a lot...gotta get this in the stereo now! lol

I'll check out the early stuff too.

Good to hear.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 5:43 pm

Yeah, I'd probably give that Cyne 4+ stars after the first listen. Dope throughout. I loved the production as well. I'll have to spin it more to accurately rank it.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 5:54 pm

Hey I know I'm really really biased here but you gotta check out Gutter Tactics by dalek man....it's currently my favorite album this year.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 6:11 pm

AFutureWithoutAPast wrote:
Hey I know I'm really really biased here but you gotta check out Gutter Tactics by dalek man....it's currently my favorite album this year.

Really really biased? Aren't we all? It's all in the ear of the beholder.

So I read a review of the album and...Dalek sound interesting as an emcee, but after I read this:

"The album's sound is uncompromising and dense, with melodies buried deep within the mix. The music is the least hip-hop sounding hip hop I've ever heard but there are beats and they do make sense. Every track is dark and violent, with many sounds piled on top of each other. Each track is jam-packed with distorted samples and electronics, creating a wall of sound that's more akin to old-school industrial and noise music than it is to Kanye West. A few of the tracks also feature slow, metallic guitar samples that sound as if they took great inspiration from the black and doom metal bands that can be found on the Southern Lord label."

^ Meh, not really interested in this type of sound. I probably wouldn't like it but I may check out a cut or two to make sure.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 1:16 am

Kid Joe wrote:
John Robinson from Scienz Of life dropped a solo album with Doom production this year, too. I strongly suggest.

From "Who Is This Man?"

Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm

I'm sure you can score a dl of the John Robinson album. I didn't think it would be hard to find, I just haven't had the cash for buying anything lately. Check ughh.com, if not on Amazon. I can't think why they wouldn't carry it.

I know it was a UK release in 08, but they released it stateside 09 I remember reading.
Back to top Go down

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 4:47 am

Space Muzik's Best of 2009 (only listed albums that I bought):

La Coka Nostra- A Brand You Can Trust (4.5 stars. My favorite album so far. Surprising stuff here, "The Stain" is among my favorite songs of the year)

U-God- Dopium (4.5 stars, another album that really surprised me. I never expected a U-God album to be this solid. Standout track- God Is Love featuring Ghostface Killah)

Brother Ali - The Truth Is Here EP (4.5 stars, a really solid EP here. Brother Ali has never let me down. Standout track- Palm the Joker)

Mr. Nemo- Nemomusic (4.5 stars, dopeness! Al, you check this album out yet? I’m loving this album. Standout track- I’ll Be Around featuring Sunspot Jonz)

Alchemist- Chemical Warfare (4.25 stars, damn I wish they didn’t included that Prodigy solo, that shit was terrible. Standout track- Therapy featuring Evidence, Blu, Talib Kweli and Kid Cudi)

AZ- Legendary (4.25 stars, another solid album by AZ. Standout track- Before It's All Said & Done)

G&E (Grouch & Eligh) - Say G&E! (4.25 stars. Standout track- Denial featuring Rick Rock)

The Jacka- Tear Gas (4.25 stars, big ups to SRP for this one, I’m digging it. Standout track- Callin’ My Name featuring Mistah F.A.B.)

UGK - UGK 4 Life (4.25 stars. Standout track- Da Game Been Good To Me)

Wu-Tang - Chamber Music (4 stars. Standout track- I Wish You Were Here featuring Tre Williams)

Tanya Morgan - Brooklynati (4 stars, solid but nothing spectacular. Standout track- On Our Way)

Freeway- Philadelphia Freeway, Vol. 2 (4 stars, solid album. Standout track- Crack Rap)

Finale - A Pipe Dream And A Promise (4 stars. Standout track- Paid Homage (R.I.P. J Dilla))

Marco Polo & Torae - Double Barrel (4 stars. Some solid boom bap for 2009. Standout track- Crashing Down featuring Saukrates)

Method Man-Redman- Blackout 2 (4 stars. Standout track- Mrs. International featuring Eric Sermon)

Slim Thug- The Boss of All Bosses (4 stars, I’m surprised by the quality of this album. Standout track- I Run)

Cunninlynguists- Strange Journey Vol. One (4 stars. Standout track- Broken Van (Thinking Of You) featuring Mac Lethal)

J Dilla- Jay Stay Paid (4 stars. Standout track- Smoke featuring Blu)

Rapper Big Pooh- Delightful Bars (4 stars. Standout track- Rearview Mirror)

Eminem- Relapse (3.75 stars. Good album. That is all. Standout track- Beautiful)

Chali 2na - Fish Outta Water (3.75 stars. Standout track- 4 Be Be featuring Ming Xia (really solid song))

DJ Quik & Kurupt- Blaqkout (3.75 stars. Standout track- Fuck Yall)

Jadakiss- The Last Kiss (3.75 stars. Standout track- Grind Hard featuring Mary J. Blige)

Alex King- Reincarnated (3.75 stars. Standout track- Miss You)

Aceyalone- The Lonely Ones (3.75 stars. Standout track- Lonely Ones)

Tech N9ne- Sickology 101 (3.75 stars. Standout track- Midwest Choppers 2 featuring Krayzie Bone and K-Dean)

Eligh & Jo Wilkinson - On Sacred Ground (3.75 stars. Standout track- By and By featuring Grouch)

D-Block- D-Block (3.75 stars. Standout track- Hustler’s Prayer)

P.O.S. - Never Better (3.75 stars, “Goodbye” is the song of the year!!! Decent album)

K-os- Yes! (3.75, “I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman” is one of my favorite songs this year)

Afro Classics (Scarub & Very) - Classic EP (3.5 stars. Standout track- Do Thangs)

NASA - The Spirit Of Apollo (3.5 stars. Standout track- N.A.S.A. Anthem (dope instrumental song!))

Scratch- Loss 4 Wordz (3.5 stars, album got a little better upon further spins. Standout track- Too Late feat. Damon Albarn and Talib Kweli)

Mos Def - The Ecstatic (3.25 stars, I’m being generous here because I liked “Life In Marvelous Times” a whole lot. Most of the other songs on here sucks.)

MF Doom - Born Like This (3.25 stars, overrated!!! Standout track- Cellz )

Bicasso & DJ Fresh - Rebel Musiq LP (3 stars...I can't get into this dude!!! Standout track- Holdin On (Ur Love))

K'Naan- Troubadour (3 stars, “Take A Minute” is a banger. Too bad the rest of the album isn't as memorable)

Toki Wright- A Different Mirror (2.5 stars, I lied. Brother Ali let me down big time co-signing this dude. Standout track- The Feeling featuring Brother Ali)

Al's 2009 recap #1 767989
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 10:34 am

Nice list. I don't agree with well over half, but it's cool.

U-God was not sounding like anything near 4.5 stars to me.

I read up on the Mr. Nemo. It didn't look that appealing to me the first time I looked at it, but I may check it. Can't imagine I'd like it much if Sunspot has the best track there. lol

Did not care for the new Alchemist much. Or old Alchemist for that matter.

G&E has dropped to my least favorite G&E album.

Marco Polo & Torae probably won't get another spin from me. lol

Tanya Morgan is way too low, as is Bicasso, but I expect that from someone who listened to that god awful Common Market EP 100 times. lol

Afro Classics & Mos Def are also too low IMO.

Just my thoughts...
Back to top Go down
boet
The REAL Ninja 'Round These Parts
The REAL Ninja 'Round These Parts
boet

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 11:20 am

Yo al you gotta check out elevated ruffians "magnificent soul" and pseudo slang "we'll keep looking"

my two fav albums from the year.

soulstice & sBe "beyond borders" is also moja.
Back to top Go down

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 1:30 pm

"Nice list. I don't agree with well over half, but it's cool.

U-God was not sounding like anything near 4.5 stars to me.

I read up on the Mr. Nemo. It didn't look that appealing to me the first time I looked at it, but I may check it. Can't imagine I'd like it much if Sunspot has the best track there. lol

Did not care for the new Alchemist much. Or old Alchemist for that matter.

G&E has dropped to my least favorite G&E album.

Marco Polo & Torae probably won't get another spin from me. lol

Tanya Morgan is way too low, as is Bicasso, but I expect that from someone who listened to that god awful Common Market EP 100 times. lol

Afro Classics & Mos Def are also too low IMO."

That U-God was just solid throughout to me. The only songs I skipped were the remixes at the end. What's your ranking on that one?

My first Alchemist album and I was impress. Prodigy really, really stunk it up though.

"Say G&E" is my first album by the duo. Still trying to cop their other two.

That Tanya Morgan is not a classic to these ears, or anywhere close to it....

Like I said before, I can't get into Bicasso. I dig Sunspot Jonz more than that fool...

Brassco>>>>>Boom In It

I want the B-Boy Mos Def back....
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 1:37 pm

Sinj.of.SA wrote:
Yo al you gotta check out elevated ruffians "magnificent soul" and pseudo slang "we'll keep looking"

my two fav albums from the year.

soulstice & sBe "beyond borders" is also moja.

I'll check them out sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Jul 2009, 1:44 pm

wrote:
That U-God was just solid throughout to me. The only songs I skipped were the remixes at the end. What's your ranking on that one?

My first Alchemist album and I was impress. Prodigy really, really stunk it up though.

"Say G&E" is my first album by the duo. Still trying to cop their other two.

That Tanya Morgan is not a classic to these ears, or anywhere close to it....

Like I said before, I can't get into Bicasso. I dig Sunspot Jonz more than that fool...

Brassco>>>>>Boom In It

I want the B-Boy Mos Def back....

The U-God is a little under 4 stars for me after one listen. So I wasn't feeling it that much. I still haven't cared to hear more Alchemist after hearing "1st Infantry". "Say G&E" is good, but it's only fallen in my ranks since I bought it. So a little too slick and glossy to me after many, many listens. But I still feel it's 4 stars.

I do feel the Tanya Morgan has an excellent concept and theme. The members have unique flows and cadences and work very well together. Von Pea's production is stellar and fits the theme and concept like a glove. Not sure what there isn't to like about this album unless you just don't dig that particular style...which I figured you would.

Bicasso is definitely my favorite Legend nowadays. I feel he's a dope rapper...not the greatest, but he is a top 10 producer IMO. He doesn't have any material I don't like. Kind of like Blue Scholars and Common Market to you...he can do wrong to these ears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Al's 2009 recap #1 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Al's 2009 recap #1   Al's 2009 recap #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Al's 2009 recap #1
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next