Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1

Go down 
+7
Shaun
Laced With Slang
Half
Esco
D.Powell
T. Myers
Funk Seoul Brother
11 posters

Top 5, Top 10, or Neither
Top 5
Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Vote_lcap65%Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Vote_rcap
 65% [ 13 ]
Top 10
Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Vote_lcap15%Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 3 ]
Neither
Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Vote_lcap20%Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Empty
PostSubject: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:17 am

A Tribe Called Quest
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:25 am

Top 5. Number 1 for me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 8:10 am

neither for this listener. They have some truly great albums if you prefer that sound, but i'd be lying if i said that was my cup of tea. Hell, I'm not even sure they were the best group from the Native Tongues.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 8:37 am

Top 10 EASILY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 10:02 am

Top 10 for me like number 10, while they do not have a personal classic album for me they have plenty of personal classic songs that get them in my top 10.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 10:25 am

I can't really get into them, but then again I've only heard The low end theory which was ehhh to me.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 10:29 am

Top 10
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 10:43 am

top 5
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 2:39 pm

Top 5
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 2:54 pm

The group that got me into hip hop #1
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 3:02 pm

#1 or #2. I can't decide at the moment. Either way, easily top 5.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 5:37 pm

Number 1 GOAT group to me. 3 classic albums and countless hits.

On a side note, I can't believe they have four neither votes. I can't objectively or even subjectively think of 10 groups from the East that are better.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 5:46 pm

Top 5.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:38 pm

KJ Styles wrote:

On a side note, I can't believe they have four neither votes. I can't objectively or even subjectively think of 10 groups from the East that are better.

LOL! maybe you should think harder cause i can easily think of 10 groups that get more spins from me. Like i said though, i'm not the biggest fan of Jazzy rap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:45 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

LOL! maybe you should think harder cause i can easily think of 10 groups that get more spins from me. Like i said though, i'm not the biggest fan of Jazzy rap.

You not being a fan of Jazzy Rap explains it all.

As for you saying that they may not be the best group from Native Tongues? Well De La Soul is the only other NT group that's in the same class.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:46 pm

Mobb Deep
Wu-Tang Clan
Run-DMC
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5
The Roots
De la Soul
Public Enemy
Brand Nubian
Sugar Hill Gang
Boogie Down Productions
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:52 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

As for you saying that they may not be the best group from Native Tongues? Well De La Soul is the only other NT group that's in the same class.

Yeah, De La Soul was definitely the group i was referring to. I've been spinning their albums recently, and i just find their albums to have more replay value to me. Posdnuos is easily the best lyricist between the two groups. I think they have a similar amount of classics. I don't want people to think i'm dogging ATCQ. They just fall on the outside of my top 10.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:53 pm

Steve wrote:
Mobb Deep
Wu-Tang Clan
Run-DMC
Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5
The Roots
De la Soul
Public Enemy
Brand Nubian
Sugar Hill Gang
Boogie Down Productions

Mobb Deep's not even close. I like them but they only have ONE classic, maybe two objectively.

Flash & The Furious 5 were important, but don't have the catalog that Tribe does.

Funny how you were saying that Brand Nubian didn't belong in the Top 50 way back during the 100 Greatest Artist polls, but now you're putting them over Quest?? BULLSHIT!! I like them but they only have one classic album compared to 3 by ATCQ.

Sugar Hill Gang was an important group, but they were neither as skilled nor do they have the catalog that ATCQ does.

If you wanna count BDP as a group then that's ok, but when I think about them I only think about KRS-One.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:56 pm

Mobb Deep's not close? I beg to differ. They have at least two classics IMO, and I'd take the Infamous over any Tribe album. Mobb Deep has the credentials to be there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 6:56 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Yeah, De La Soul was definitely the group i was referring to. I've been spinning their albums recently, and i just find their albums to have more replay value to me. Posdnuos is easily the best lyricist between the two groups. I think they have a similar amount of classics. I don't want people to think i'm dogging ATCQ. They just fall on the outside of my top 10.

I think Tip and Pos are about even lyrically. I like ATCQ slightly better but De La is definitely dope. I agree with them having the same amount of classics as well. At least I know you respect Tribe, so it's all gravy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:00 pm

Johnny: I don't necessarily agree those groups are better, but those are 10 who could be legitimately argued. I didn't even include Beastie Boys or a couple other acts.

And Mobb Deep is way passed ATCQ for me. ATCQ is sleepy rap, and Mobb has 3 albums I would take over any, Hell on Earth, Infamous, and Murder Muzik.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:01 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Mobb Deep's not close? I beg to differ. They have at least two classics IMO, and I'd take the Infamous over any Tribe album. Mobb Deep has the credentials to be there.

I'd take The Low End Theory AND Midnight Marauders over The Infamous personally. And I'd take Tribe's third classic which is People's Instinctive Travels over Mobb second and only other classic, Hell On Earth.

The Love Movement was a dud, but so were Juvenile Hell, Infamy, and the god awful Blood Money.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mobb Deep and they're most likely Top 10 in the East for me, but I can definitely think of at least 7-8 groups better, and ATCQ is one of them IMO.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:04 pm

Top 3...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:05 pm

Steve wrote:
Johnny: I don't necessarily agree those groups are better, but those are 10 who could be legitimately argued. I didn't even include Beastie Boys or a couple other acts.

And Mobb Deep is way passed ATCQ for me. ATCQ is sleepy rap, and Mobb has 3 albums I would take over any, Hell on Earth, Infamous, and Murder Muzik.

I guess it comes down to style preference. ATCQ isn't sleepy rap to me, Tip and Phife spit some ill verses that make me hit the rewind button. Mobb USED to do the same for me, but not so much anymore. Those three albums you mentioned are the only ones I bump from them, and I rarely bump Murda Musik save for a few tracks.

Those two groups have different styles, so I can see why someone would prefer Mobb Deep because they're more hardcore whereas Tribe is more jazzy/laid back. I'm a fan of both styles, I just feel that ATCQ has more overall bangers. It's all gravy though.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009, 7:07 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I'd take The Low End Theory AND Midnight Marauders over The Infamous personally. And I'd take Tribe's third classic which is People's Instinctive Travels over Mobb second and only other classic, Hell On Earth.

The Love Movement was a dud, but so were Juvenile Hell, Infamy, and the god awful Blood Money.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mobb Deep and they're most likely Top 10 in the East for me, but I can definitely think of at least 7-8 groups better, and ATCQ is one of them IMO.

Ah, that was my mistake. For some reason, i was thinking that you said that Mobb Deep weren't a top 10 group. ATCQ being ranked over Mobb Deep is normal and should be expected even though that doesn't hold true on my personal rankings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #1
Page 1 of 1