Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 6:43 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Dj Red Alert is the one that mentioned that there were two golden ages N3RO

do you even know who Dj Red Alert is?? because if not then it is a moot point

I respect the reasons that he gave for mentioning two...the fact that you've never even heard that there was a possibility that they're could be two means you did NOT know....and that is okay...first give me your Red Alert knowledge before we go any further on that

I brought up the golden age being 86-92 (just one) as well, and I have never heard DJ Red Alert's synopsis of it.

I agree that hip-hop was quite golden from 92-96, but it's really an endless theory that can't really be proven as "fact", which is a big reason people get the years mixed up when somebody says "golden age".
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 6:49 pm

I think Pounds that he included 92-96 in his golden eras because you had so many all-time classics drop during those years for one

Illmatic
Ready To Die
The Sun Rises In The East
Doggystyle
The Chronic
Reasonable Doubt
Only Built For Cuban Linx
ATLiens
Southernplayalistic
Soul Food
Mecca And The Soul Brother
Midnight Marauders
Liquid Swords

I mean I could keep going but you see where I'm at...this stuff is golden era stuff...so I think that's where his thinking was on that....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 7:03 pm

Powell, I don't need to pass any sort of "test". I don't constantly ask you questions about new hip hop and say that if you don't know who or what I'm talking about you need to take it back to the nursing home do I? Of course not, I show respect, something you lack dearly. This is a clear example of hip hop cannibalizing itself. Old timers have this crazy paranoid delusion about the young people THAT ACTUALLY RESPECT AND LISTEN TO THEM even though the elders constantly talk crap and don't acknowledge the accomplishments of the new heads.

Here, if I say that Dj Red Alert was some radio dj from the Bronx (I think, not really sure) that had some bullshit beef with Russell Simmons and and had something to do with the Native Tongues movement (a movement which I respect, but I don't get much replay out of) then I'm validating your bullshit myopic argument that we can't talk if I don't pass your retarded litmus test. If I say I'm not really familiar with Red Alert and OH, he has NOTHING to do with what we're talking about, then you'll feel validated and call me a moron blah blah blah.

Again, Al, what the funk are coming at with this? SOULFUL MUSIC, not soul influence, not soul samples SOULFUL UNDERGROUND RAP which as a niche didn't exist in the 80's or really in the early 90's was not prevalant during any of the years you're talking about. Native Tongues FOR INSTANCE were much more JAZZ influenced than Soul. And comparing a George Clinton song to a Mannie Riperton song is just ridiculous. You REALLY think Dre has that big of a soul influence? Or are you stretching the truth to justify your argument?

I don't disagree that hip hop til 96 was dope...crap I think hip hop NOW is dope. So how can there be two golden ages if one stops right where the other begins? That's aribtrary at best and stupid at worst.

HERE IS YOUR PROBLEM POWELL. Did you ever stop to think "hey, this kid is from Iowa, I bet he has to search really hard to learn about hip hop, he didn't grow up in NY but he still has a lot of respect for the culture and I think that's respectable" instead of "this kid is a punk who thinks he knows more than he does". But you can't. I'm done with this conversation, and I know I say that a lot, but really...have your fucking "golden age" I'm gonna go listen to new Haystak and LIKE IT.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 7:19 pm

I only asked if you had heard of Red Alert because you thought that I created this concept of two golden ages when I was just co-signing a legendary Dj's opinion on it

that's why I asked you that one man

your just stubborn...and so am I

but learning is a good thing man, trust me there because I've learned quite a bit since joining the forum from heads like Pounds, Steve, Kev, Norf, buggin out...etc

so we can all learn my dude...it's all good, no hard feelings on this side....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 7:24 pm

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Again, Al, what the funk are coming at with this? SOULFUL MUSIC, not soul influence, not soul samples SOULFUL UNDERGROUND RAP which as a niche didn't exist in the 80's or really in the early 90's was not prevalant during any of the years you're talking about. Native Tongues FOR INSTANCE were much more JAZZ influenced than Soul. And comparing a George Clinton song to a Mannie Riperton song is just ridiculous. You REALLY think Dre has that big of a soul influence? Or are you stretching the truth to justify your argument?

Like I said, it's how you define "soul" or rather "soulful underground hip-hop". It could be a feel or aesthetic. I do think Dre was influenced by the countless sub-styles "soul" has spawned...but it was mostly funk. I think a lot of that jazz influenced stuff had soul as well...but mostly jazz. Either way, their was plenty of soul lurking around in the late golden age of hip-hop (which exploded into it's own "sub-genre" soon after). I think it's a moot point and you shouldn't take it so seriously. I'm not trying to justify anything really, this is just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 7:25 pm

Powell and KRS-One should have a teachers convention with "You Must Learn" playing in the background
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 7:39 pm

I give Powell a lot of credit for his incredible hip-hop knowledge and the fact that he, unlike most old heads, have stuck to the game and give new stuff a chance. I just think people have to look at it like, you know, someone saying new artist x is better than the beatles, new artist x rocks harder than jimi hendrix, etc. That's how a lot of people (including myself at times) come across, and it's ridiculous, and puts people on the offensive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 7:49 pm

Shon wrote:
Powell and KRS-One should have a teachers convention with "You Must Learn" playing in the background

LOL. that'd be awesome!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 8:54 pm

I'm just saying Powell when have ANY of you given me any goddamn credit for anything?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 8:56 pm

i give u mad credit, i love u
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 9:27 pm

Love you too Stevey.

But you get my point Powell? KJ? When have either of you said ANYTHING to the effect of "good point" or "I see where you're coming from" or "oh, I didn't realize you knew what you were talking about"? EVERY POST I try to make a point of acknowleding IN SOME WAY your knowledge about hip hop. Never happens the other way around.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 9:37 pm

Lord Emperor N3R0N0N wrote:
Love you too Stevey.

But you get my point Powell? KJ? When have either of you said ANYTHING to the effect of "good point" or "I see where you're coming from" or "oh, I didn't realize you knew what you were talking about"? EVERY POST I try to make a point of acknowleding IN SOME WAY your knowledge about hip hop. Never happens the other way around.

Stop that dawg. LOL! You live in Iowa. LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009, 9:45 pm

Thanks Terry.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2009, 3:19 am

"i give u mad credit, i love u"

"Love you too Stevey."

No gay marraige in this chatroom!! Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 365284
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 22 May 2009, 9:08 am

Then what are we gonna do with you and your hand, Shon?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 4:37 pm

I think Seattle has it because I know a lot of artists from that city. There are quite a few artists from other cities, but Seattle seems to have a lot more. I have to agree with whoever said Minneapolis has a harder edge to their music.

Last edited by a.scott on Mon 25 May 2009, 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 May 2009, 4:44 pm

"Then what are we gonna do with you and your hand, Shon?"

My hand is a female, thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...   Best City for Soulful Underground Rap... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best City for Soulful Underground Rap...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2