Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Album Of The 00's-Day 16

Go down 
+4
Jason
Shaun
Laced With Slang
T. Myers
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Still Got Some Competition
Ghostface Killah-Supreme Clientele
Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Vote_lcap59%Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Vote_rcap
 59% [ 10 ]
Nas-The Lost Tapes
Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Vote_lcap41%Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Vote_rcap
 41% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Empty
PostSubject: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:36 am

How's about this one, KJ
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:52 am

Ghostface
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 10:56 am

Ghostface by a tad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 11:06 am

Not even close... and that might be my favorite nas collection of tracks on a CD.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 11:07 am

Album Of The 00's-Day 16 907740
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 11:10 am

Slang, what a well put point there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 11:13 am

Whats funny to me though is this is making SC look overrated to me now. Its one of my fav albums ever but it can be beat.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 11:17 am

KRob86 wrote:
Whats funny to me though is this is making SC look overrated to me now. Its one of my fav albums ever but it can be beat.

Well, one of the few albums this decade i like more was the Blueprint, and it's been eliminated.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 1:37 pm

The Lost Tapes for me
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 1:42 pm

The Lost Tapes, I think it's Nas' second best album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 1:55 pm

Lost Tapes wins, fuck SRP!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 1:57 pm

NAS
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 2:27 pm

Lost Tapes isnt even close, and i love the album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 2:30 pm

I love both albums. Both are in my Top 20-30 but Lost Tapes is every bit as classic IMO and probably Nas' 2nd best album.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 2:32 pm

I'm not sure how you can say it's not close. Both are classics, and it really just comes down to preference IMO
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 2:33 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I love both albums. Both are in my Top 20-30 but Lost Tapes is every bit as classic IMO and probably Nas' 2nd best album.

what what what???????

thats crazy to have BOTH in your top 20-30? damn

SC is in my top 25-30, and Lost Tapes, even though it may be Nas' 2nd best (3rd to me) is probably in my top 120, definitely not every bit as classic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 2:43 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

what what what???????

thats crazy to have BOTH in your top 20-30? damn

SC is in my top 25-30, and Lost Tapes, even though it may be Nas' 2nd best (3rd to me) is probably in my top 120, definitely not every bit as classic

Ok fanboy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 2:44 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I'm not sure how you can say it's not close. Both are classics, and it really just comes down to preference IMO

EXACTLY!!!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 3:17 pm

My top 100 albums no order, i know im forgetting some

Raekwon – OBFCL
Nas – Illmatic
Wu Tang – Enter the Wu
Pete Rock and CL Smooth – Mecca and the Soul Brother
Scarface – Mr. Scarface is Back
Kool G Rap and Polo – Live and Let Die
2Pac – Me Against the World
Notorious BIG – Ready to Die
Lord Finesse – The Funky Technician
Show and AG – Runaway Slave
AZ – Doe or Die
A Tribe Called Quest – The Low End Theory
Bone Thugs – E1999 Eternal
Ghostface – Supreme Clientele
Ghostface – Ironman
GZA – Liquid Swords
Mobb Deep – The Infamous
Mobb Deep – Hell on Earth
Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt
UGK – Ridin Dirty
Outkast – ATLiens
Outkast – Aquemini
Wu-Tang – Forever
Slick Rick – The Great Adventures of
Diamond D – Stunts, Blunts, Hip Hop
Big L – Lifestylez of Da Poor and Dangerous
Black Moon – Enta Da Stage
Smif n Wessun – Dah Shinin
Dr. Dre – The Chronic
Snoop Dogg – Doggystyle
Eminem – The Slim Shady LP
Gang Starr – Moment of Truth
Eric B and Rakim – Paid in Full
Public Enemy – It Takes a Nation of Millions…
Scarface – The Diary
The Roots – Illadelph Halflife
Method Man – Tical
Souls of Mischief – 93 Til Infinity
Common – Resurrection
Ras Kass – Soul on Ice
2Pac – Makavelli
Boogie Down Productions – By All Means Necessary
The DOC – No One Can Do It Better
Goodie Mob – Soul Food
NWA – Straight Outta Compton
Mos and Kweli – Blackstar
Geto Boys – Grip It/Geto Boys
Mos Def – BOBS
Cannibal Ox – The Cold Vein
MF Doom – Operation Doomsday
Killarmy – Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars
Pharoahe Monch – Internal Affairs
Main Source – Breaking Atoms
V/A – Soundbombing II
Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food
Prince Paul – A Prince Among Thieves
EPMD – Strictly Business
Ice Cube – Amerikkka’s Most Wanted
Redman – Muddy Waters
Too Short – Life is…Too Short
BDP – Criminal Minded
De La Soul – 3 Feet High and Rising
Nas – It Was Written
ODB – Return to the 36 Chambers
ULtramagnetic MCs – Critical Beatdown
Marley Marl – In Control Vol. 1
Big Daddy Kane – Long Live the Kane
Heltah Skeltah – Nocturnal
Binary Star – Masters of the Universe
UGK – Super Tight
Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP
Del – Deltron 3030
Nice & Smooth – Aint a Damn Thing Changed
LL Cool J – Mama Said Knock You Out
Tech N9ne – Anghellic
MF Doom – MM…Food
Kool G Rap and Polo – Wanted: Dead or Alive
Spice 1 – 187 He Wrote
Brand Nubian – One for All
Organized Konfusion – Stress: The Extinction Agenda
Jay-Z – The Blueprint
Gravediggaz – 6 Feet Deep
OC – Word…Life
Big Pun – Capital Punishment
Capone n Noreaga – The War Report
Cormega – the Realness
JMT - Violent By Design
Cypress Hill – Cypress Hill
Dr. Dre – 2001
DJ Quik – Quik is the Name
Jeru the Damaja – The Sun Rises in the East
Non Phixion – The Future is Now
MOP – First Family 4 Life
Masta Ace – Slaughtahouse or Take a Look Around
Xzibit – 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz
DMX – Its Dark and Hell is Hot
Onyx – All We Got Iz Us
Talib Kweli and Hi-Tek – Reflection Eternal
Dead Prez – Lets Get Free
Gravediggaz – The Pick, the Sickle and the Shovel (personal favorite of mine)

so thats not to say that Lost Tapes isnt classic or whatever but i hold other albums higher than it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 3:19 pm

You could have also thrown out the fact that Lost Tapes isn't even an album. Just random tracks columbia released to make more money off of Nas...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 3:25 pm

Bunny Man wrote:
You could have also thrown out the fact that Lost Tapes isn't even an album. Just random tracks columbia released to make more money off of Nas...

The Lost Tapes were songs that were supposed to be on Nastradamus.

I Am and Nastradamus were supposed to be a double album called I Am....Nastradamus. But Nas renegged on it because of massive bootlegging. I wish he would have just went forward with it though, because then the abomination known as Nastradamus would have been a near classic with the weaker songs left on the cutting room floor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 3:36 pm

I Am Nastradmus woulda sucked worse than Street's disciples... that still doesn't change the fact this was some cheap collection and not a real album... shouldn't have even been nominated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 3:36 pm

I Am Nastradmus woulda sucked worse than Street's disciples... that still doesn't change the fact this was some cheap collection and not a real album... shouldn't have even been nominated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:04 pm

I think Lost Tapes are overhyped also, the album is good but not like some make it seem. You tell its just a collection of leftover trks, there is no real flow or cohesive feel with that album. I got Lost Tapes at 4.5. Lost Tapes would not make my top 100 either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:15 pm

Bunny Man wrote:

Dude just shut the fuck up. You always clown on Nas anytime he's mentioned. Nothing you have to say about him holds any merit because it's clear that you don't like him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:19 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I think Lost Tapes are overhyped also, the album is good but not like some make it seem. You tell its just a collection of leftover trks, there is no real flow or cohesive feel with that album. I got Lost Tapes at 4.5. Lost Tapes would not make my top 100 either.

If it's not in your Top 100 that's fine, but it not having any real flow or cohesive feel is crazy talk. Blaze A 50, Nothing Lasts Forever, No Idea's Original, Purple, Doo Rags, Drunk By Myself, Black Zombie....they all had the same vibe to them.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:21 pm

Nah, the album feels like a Comp as opposed to an album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:21 pm

Ummm they all sounded like they were thrown on an album with no real purpose - and if you can't see that :

GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BULLSHIT SON!!!!!

I like nas, stop being a bitch boy KJ and acknowledge the facts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:31 pm

I just don't see it that way. It only "comes off" as a comp because the songs were released some 2 years or so after they were created. But as far as I'm concerned, it's a bomb ass album and the songs seem to have the same theme/vibe to them. Those that disagree with me need to go bump that album again sometime.

And SRP, how you gonna say that you like Nas and that this is your favorite Nas album, and then say that this album shouldn't have been nominated? That's a complete contradiction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:34 pm

I said it shouldn't be nominated because it isn't a fucking album. This is like nominating 2Pac's Greatest Hits for AOTD - fool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:40 pm

Bunny Man wrote:
I said it shouldn't be nominated because it isn't a fucking album. This is like nominating 2Pac's Greatest Hits for AOTD - fool.

It's no less of an album than R U Still Down, Until The End Of Time, or Betta Days, assclown!

Maybe Nas should have chosen a better title for the album, but I don't care. I stand by my vote.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Bunny Man wrote:

It's no less of an album than R U Still Down, Until The End Of Time, or Betta Days, assclown!

Maybe Nas should have chosen a better title for the album, but I don't care. I stand by my vote.

Those albums should not be nominated either so what's your point?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:46 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Bunny Man wrote:

Indeed - but if that's the case I nominate:

Jay-z - Domestic Violence

It's a 2 disc album consisting of The Bluepring on disk 1 and The Black Album (minus change clothes) on disk 2.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:47 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Bunny Man wrote:

My point is that The Lost Tapes is easily one of the dopest albums (yes I said it) of the decade. Hence it more than deserved to be nominated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:50 pm

Bunny Man wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Bunny Man wrote:

Indeed - but if that's the case I nominate:

Jay-z - Domestic Violence

It's a 2 disc album consisting of The Bluepring on disk 1 and The Black Album (minus change clothes) on disk 2.

Other than No Idea's Original (which was remixed on Stillmatic) not many people heard the songs on The Lost Tapes before it was released in stores.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:50 pm

My pork sausage and egg sandwich I had for breakfast is one of the best ALBUMS (YES I SAID IT) of this decade.

smh... KJ - this sandwich still won't play in my CD player - what am I doing wrong?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:51 pm

Bunny Man wrote:
My pork sausage and egg sandwich I had for breakfast is one of the best ALBUMS (YES I SAID IT) of this decade.

smh... KJ - this sandwich still won't play in my CD player - what am I doing wrong?

Don't quit your day job
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:52 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Bunny Man wrote:

My point is that The Lost Tapes is easily one of the dopest albums (yes I said it) of the decade. Hence it more than deserved to be nominated.

Um, that wasn't your point at all. That has nothing to do with those Pac albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:55 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Bunny Man wrote:

Um, that wasn't your point at all. That has nothing to do with those Pac albums.

I was just going off of SRP's blasphemous statement when he said that The Lost Tapes shouldn't be nominated, and that was my reply. Take it for whatever you want.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 4:59 pm

I took it as The Lost Tapes being in the same boat as those other albums in the sense they were put together albums of an artists previously recorded material. I agreed, and those albums lack cohesion too because they're not albums in the truest sense of the word.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:01 pm

Blasphemy is a religous term KJ... and there is nothing holy about the slithering snake that is nas.

That said, get it through your think head - Lost Tapes is just that - LOST TAPES - a collection of unreleased nas songs - a compilation - NOT AN ALBUM. Simple fACTS cAn U UndERsTanD thaT?
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:06 pm

A compilation album is still an album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:08 pm

Yes, technically. And in that case let's nominate all greates hits albums. Way to miss the fucking point.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:10 pm

What separates the Lost Tapes from a greatest hits album is that the material in question is primarily known from being on the Lost Tapes. It's unique material, if it wasn't called "The Lost Tapes" and marketed as such, you wouldn't know the difference between it and any other Nas album, so it just doesn't make sense to me to say it should be excluded on that basis.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:15 pm

Jason wrote:
What separates the Lost Tapes from a greatest hits album is that the material in question is primarily known from being on the Lost Tapes. It's unique material, if it wasn't called "The Lost Tapes" and marketed as such, you wouldn't know the difference between it and any other Nas album, so it just doesn't make sense to me to say it should be excluded on that basis.

Indeed that's the best argument to be made for the inclusion of this album in the voting. But I still find it a stretch on a personal level because this at best a compilation of unreleased tracks. If this was a shelved nas album which nas intended to be an album then I would concede the point. But basically, this is all the good shit he stupidly left off of two separate albums, released years later.

I still think the collection lacks cohesion and a true album intent or feel. It does contain most of my favorite nas songs, but its not really an album, but more of a "greatest hits" if he had actually included these tracks on those albums.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:18 pm

Cohesion is something to be judged in the voting, and it seems that wasn't a problem for people based on the results.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:22 pm

Nah, I think most people skipped the cohesion part and went based purely off strength of songs. It is easy to be impressed by the vivid storytelling and lyricism present on Lost Tapes. But it is nowhere near the cohesive work of art that is Supreme Clientele.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:29 pm

Big fan of Lost Tapes but SC gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:29 pm

It's not just something you just skip over, if an album lack cohesion you don't think that highly of it, even if there are good songs. If people generally thought the Lost Tapes lacked cohesion, it wouldn't be held in such high regard as a unit, people would just pick out their favorite songs. But Lost Tapes was so well received and has maintained a high status in Nas' catalog for the very reason that it didn't sound like a thrown together compilation to people, it sounded like just another Nas album. Not even that, it sounded better as a unit than most of his albums. Keep in mind that these songs were intended to go together on an album, so they're not entirely disparate.

Last edited by Jason on Mon 07 Dec 2009, 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Dec 2009, 5:31 pm

It sounds nothing like an album to me. It sounds like a collection of odds and ends. It just happens to be every song on there is dope. I mean there are not glaring out of place songs. But I need for than that for cohesion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album Of The 00's-Day 16   Album Of The 00's-Day 16 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Album Of The 00's-Day 16
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next