Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

School me on these 2 artists.

Go down 
+3
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Norfeest
E. Taylor
7 posters
AuthorMessage
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

School me on these 2 artists. Empty
PostSubject: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:11 pm

I don't have alot of time to research new artists so i'm asking for some insight here. What can you tell me about Wale and B.O.B. The Wale album is just sitting at my local FYE and nobody seems to be touching it. Is it worth a purchase? Also, with B.O.B.'s album coming out next week i'd like to know about him too. I know he's from the Atl and I know there seems to be a good amount of hype around him and this release. Is he a skilled Mc or just another pop artist?
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:14 pm

That Wale album (Attention Deficit?) is okay. It's got some good tracks and it has some duds. I have it right around 3.5 stars...it won't wow you, but it won't disappoint you either. Average describes it best, imo.

I've been curious about B.O.B. too, so any help on that would be appreciated over here as well...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:23 pm

BOB is dope... period... he can sing and rap - so he may sound "pop" when he is doing the singing - but he is dope - his CD is 7.99 at best buy and I will definitely be buying it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:38 pm

Yeah, co-sign the BOB. I think SRP has been talking about dude for like 3 years now, and I've checked out all the leaks from the new album and they all sound dope. Very original with a mainstream appeal.

Also, I wasn't as disappointed by the Wale album as a lot of people were. Granted, I didn't fall in love with Mixtape About Nothing (although it was dope) so Attention Deficit was cool to me.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:48 pm

I actually dig Wale "Attention Deficit" a lot. The main grip I have with the album is there are some terrible songs during the middle of the album. Towards the end of the album is the strong point imo, I really dig those songs. The song with J. Cole is probably my favorite, Cole just kills it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 10:51 pm

Victor Shade wrote:
I actually dig Wale "Attention Deficit" a lot. The main grip I have with the album is there are some terrible songs during the middle of the album. Towards the end of the album is the strong point imo, I really dig those songs. The song with J. Cole is probably my favorite, Cole just kills it.

I guess you can go ahead and disregard me liking it then, because clearly I'm wrong about it.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeMon 19 Apr 2010, 11:53 pm

theres nothing special about J Cole to me, at all...
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 12:00 am

Skip Wale's album for now, it's inconsistent and poorly put together. Get the Mixtape About Nothing instead, easily his best work so far.
Back to top Go down
booerns
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
booerns

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 1:47 am

Check out prescription by Wale and the gives you a pretty good idea of who he is. He's got some talent, his cd does have some duds, but its a quality release. I think Wale is a lot deeper than his label wants him to be so it is kind of hidden. You can tell with a single like Nike boots (not a song on Attention Deficit) that seems just like a generic single, but has a lot more to it then that. Wale is discrete about it, but the guy has some relevant, quality lyrics, and is talented.
B.o.B. is dope though. A lot of songs from the album have leaked and it sounds good. I posted a link to the song with eminem earlier today and that song is good. The album definitely can sound pop, but he has his own style when he does it so it still sounds nice. Hes no gangster and knows that, but he is a real nice rhythm and flow to him. He just seems like a musical guy, he can sing, rap and generally works with some real nice beats. Especially if the album is 7.99, it is worth picking up.
These are two of the best new guys to be doing it, so if your looking to get into guys who are going to put out good music for a while, these two are safe bets.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 2:06 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
theres nothing special about J Cole to me, at all...

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 8:56 am

Wale is ok, but like many people have said, it's forgettable. Everything i've heard from B.O.B has been dope though. I'll definitely pick up his album for $7.99
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 10:03 am

I agree with Nor its not a great album or a bad album its just str8. If you bought it for a good low price you would not be disapponited in it.

BOB is str8 I guess nothing new are very special imo. Just a southern Drake with way more soul. J Cole is another one i'm not very impressed with. I respect the respect he has for lyrics and being true to your craft though. BOB seems to also be a student of the game and will be making so true to himself music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 11:11 am

BOB sounds nothing like Drake. At all.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 11:48 am

Sheesh n3R0. He didn't say he sounded like Drake. When i read it, i assumed he was referring to the rapping and singing aspect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 12:01 pm

"Just a southern Drake with way more soul."

That's insulting and complimentary at the same time. I was merely clearing up the fact that BOB's music sounds nothing like Drake's so people didn't get it twisted.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 12:08 pm

N3R0N0N Of 0nslaught3r wrote:
"Just a southern Drake with way more soul."

That's insulting and complimentary at the same time. I was merely clearing up the fact that BOB's music sounds nothing like Drake's so people didn't get it twisted.

I can't help how you interpret what he wrote, but he never said he sounded like Drake. That's all on you big fella.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 12:59 pm

Just a southern Drake implies he sounds like Drake. I was just clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 1:07 pm

N3R0N0N Of 0nslaught3r wrote:
Just a southern Drake implies he sounds like Drake. I was just clearing that up.

unless you are Kev, you are not qualified to speak on his intentions or implications. Did he say he sounded like Drake? It's a simple question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010, 4:26 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: School me on these 2 artists.   School me on these 2 artists. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

School me on these 2 artists.
Page 1 of 1