Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the most important hip hop album of all time?

Go down 
+9
Deanie O'Banion
parker lewis
Half
D.Powell
E. Taylor
Laced With Slang
Justin Linker
J. Harris
T. Myers
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Empty
PostSubject: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 8:07 am

We all have the albums that are important to us, but i want to know what single album has done the most for hip hop?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 12:55 pm

This is to dang hard.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 12:57 pm

Maybe It Takes A Nation Of Millions because they bought that political and conscious rap to the mainstream like no other grp did before or after them imo. After PE came out you started seeing a new look in the way black youth dressed and looked at themselves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 1:05 pm

Enter the 36 Chambers...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 1:09 pm

Straight Outta Compton, Chronic, It Takes A Nation Of Millions, Enter The 36 Chambers, and Marshall Mathers LP are all valid choices IMO.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 2:33 pm

Only Built For Cuban Linx '95 - Very important album. Sets the tone for all other mafioso albums from that point onward.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 2:51 pm

If I see Illmatic on here.............

My choice goes to It Takes A Nation...or Straight Outta Compton
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 3:02 pm

The Marshall Mathers LP??? 36 Chambers?? Only Built 4??? LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 3:17 pm

It Takes a Nation, SOC, 36 Chambers, Raising Hell and/or Run DMC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 3:46 pm

J. Linker of 0nSlaught3r wrote:

SMH @ the ICP fan!

Anyway, my vote goes to Raising Hell.

And Jeff, MMLP is the best Midwestern album IMO, but no way in hell is it the most important album of all time.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 3:57 pm

Grandmaster Flash/Furious Five - The Message
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 4:11 pm

J. Linker of 0nSlaught3r wrote:

My choice goes to It Takes A Nation...or Straight Outta Compton

"Illmatic" LOL

Oh yeah, and don't forget Vanilla Ice "To The Extreme"

Seriously thought i'd have to go with "It Takes A Nation" by PE.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 4:41 pm

To The Extreme may very well be the wackest hip-hop album of all time.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 4:46 pm

Run-D.M.C-Run-D.M.C (1984) wins this EASILY

Hey fellas the question was what is the most IMPORTANT hip-hop album to ever come out....not the most bangin one or your personal favorite but the most IMPORTANT hip-hop album to ever come out

Run-D.M.C.'s debut let everyone know that hip-hop was here to stay and not just some fad music created by the ghetto black and hispanic kids from the South Bronx to keep them out of jail or have something to do....because before this album this is what "mainstream" society thought about hip-hop music

This album was the first to gain play on MTV (when they still played music videos and were the trendsetters in the game) "Rockbox" was in regular DAYTIME rotation which was unheard of at the time...this album made Run-Dee and Jay the first hip-hop act to appear on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine, this album made them the first hip-hop group to appear on American Bandstand as well...this album moved hip-hop from the true "old school" on into what would be considered the "new school".....it cleared a path for the new torch bearers of the music...LL Cool J....Whodini...Salt-N-Pepa....N.W.A....Schoolly D....Just-Ice...BDP.....Ice-T.....Stetsasonic....MC Lyte.....The Fat Boys....Heavy D and The Boyz, and many many others

YOUR favorite emcee TODAY owes a bunch of thank you cards to Run,Dee and Jay for giving them that career opportunity that they have...real talk!

this album wins EASILY man....those albums you guys mentioned owe a debt of THANKS to this one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 4:54 pm

I feel you on that selection Powell. The reason I chose Raising Hell though is because even though their debut laid the groundwork, Raising Hell skyrocketed hip-hop into the mainstream.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 4:57 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I feel you on that selection Powell. The reason I chose Raising Hell though is because even though their debut laid the groundwork, Raising Hell skyrocketed hip-hop into the mainstream.

It's not often that i agree with KJ, but Raising Hell is the most important album IMO.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 5:00 pm

Yeah I agree with you KJ about that but that debut is what made Raising Hell even possible...ya feel me??

that debut was HUGE man

thats when they started printing Run-D.M.C. posters man...lol..real talk....Dj Eddie F who dj'ed for Heavy D had two big Run-D.M.C. posters in his room...that group and that debut is what showed heads that this could be done man!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 5:02 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Yeah I agree with you KJ about that but that debut is what made Raising Hell even possible...ya feel me??

that debut was HUGE man

thats when they started printing Run-D.M.C. posters man...lol..real talk....Dj Eddie F who dj'ed for Heavy D had two big Run-D.M.C. posters in his room...that group and that debut is what showed heads that this could be done man!

I agree that Raising Hell would not be possible if not for their debut, but Raising took everything great about their debut, and put it out there on a much larger scale.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 5:08 pm

Thats true Terry but again this "larger scale" started with their debut...which in essence makes it the most important hip-hop album of all-time EASILY

that debut is what enabled them to even imagine what larger scale meant man...it made a bunch of artists start thinking about "larger scale"....lol
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 5:37 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

It's not often that i agree with KJ, but Raising Hell is the most important album IMO.

Raising Hell was when Run D.M.C. had white approval. Their debut is greater in every aspect. I'd say the debut is more important.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 6:02 pm

halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

Raising Hell was when Run D.M.C. had white approval. Their debut is greater in every aspect. I'd say the debut is more important.

It goes beyond the "white approval". After Raising Hell, hip-hop became a global phenomeonon. Many MC's and groups blew up following that album.

As for which album is greater, that's really debatable. Personally I prefer Raising Hell, but they're on par with each other in terms of quality. But Raising Hell is far more important as it solidified hip-hop as a respected genre rather than just a passing fad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 6:12 pm

T. Myers wrote:

I agree that Raising Hell would not be possible if not for their debut, but Raising took everything great about their debut and King Of Rock, and put it out there on a much larger scale.

Fixed
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 6:18 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:

It goes beyond the "white approval". After Raising Hell, hip-hop became a global phenomeonon. Many MC's and groups blew up following that album.

As for which album is greater, that's really debatable. Personally I prefer Raising Hell, but they're on par with each other in terms of quality. But Raising Hell is far more important as it solidified hip-hop as a respected genre rather than just a passing fad.

How KJ did Raising Hell show that hip-hop wasn't a passing fad when their debut had already proven that?? by 1986 hip-hop was already in full bloom man....it's acceptance was already global....Raising Hell just helped to make it's awareness even larger but it didn't make it possible...their debut made this happen...by 1986 hip-hop was already appearing in commercials....Raising Hell helped to make "others" know about hip-hop but all of this was made possible by their debut my dude...do your homework on this shit you'll see what I mean man
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: What is the most important hip hop album of all time?   What is the most important hip hop album of all time? Icon_minitimeThu 06 May 2010, 6:25 pm

Hav you ever heard of Live-Aid KJ???...this was a global concert man....Run-D.M.C. was the ONLY hip-hop act to appear on the bill and this was in 1985...well before Raising Hell

keep in mind that this was a GLOBAL concert man and this was in the summer of 1985..about a year before Raising Hell!