Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament

Go down 
+3
Deanie O'Banion
Half
Laced With Slang
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Empty
PostSubject: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 3:15 pm

Yes I want to do one. And it is going to be looong and huge (no homo). But plenty of good debate and upsets will go down. I need opinions on this list and please tell me of any OBVIOUS omissions or some that need to be taken off. I am not modifing much but I will change a good bit.

Here's 100 albums I came up with that should have a little something in there for everyone (its in alphabetical order):

36 Chambers
All Eyes On Me
All Means Necessary
All We Got Iz Us
Amerikkk's Most Wanted
Aquemini
ATLiens
Below the Heavens
Black On Both Sides
Black Star
Black Sunday
Blazing Arrow
Blood Doctrine
Blueprint
Breaking Atoms
Capital Punishment
College Dropout
Criminal Minded
Critical Breakdown
Cypress Hill
Dah Shinin
Daily Operations
Dead Serious
Death Certificate
Deltron 3030
Do You Want More
Doe Or Die
Doggystyle
Dr. Octagonecologyst
E. 1999
Eazy-Duz-It
Enta Da Stage
Fear Of A Black Planet
Forever
Get Rich Or Die Tryin
Great Adventures of….
Grip It! On That Other Level
Hard To Earn
Illadelph Halflife
Illmatic
In A Major Way
Ironman
It Takes A Nation Of Millions
It Was Written
It’s A Big Daddy Thing
Its Dark And Hell Is Hot
Killumati (7 Day Theory)
Let's Get Free
Licensed To Ill
Life After Death
Life Is…..Too Short
Lifestylez Of Tha Poor
Liquid Sword
Live And Let Die
Lost
Low End Theory
Mama Said Knock You Out
Marshall Mathers LP
Me Against The World
Mecca & The Soul Brother
Midnight Marauders
Mr Scarface Is Back
Muddy Waters
Naughty By Nature
Niggaz4life
No One Can Do It Better
O.G.
OB4CL
Paid In Full
Quik Is The Name
Raising Hell
Ready To Die
Reasonable Doubt
Regulate
Resurrection
Return Of The Boom Bap
Ridin Dirty
Slim Shady LP
Something Serious
Soul Food
Soul On Ice
Southernplayalisticadillacmusik
Step Into The Arena
Still Standing
Stillmatic
Straight Outta Compton
Stress: The Extinction Agenda
Supreme Clientele
The Black Album
The Chronic
The Diary
The Documentary
The Fix
The Infamous
The Resurrection
The Score
Things Fall Apart
Top Of The World
Train Of Thought
Untouchable
We Can't Be Stopped
What Thee Album
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 3:39 pm

there would have to be at least 128 albums to make it possible, and im not even sure 128 is enough

and where is
The Cold Vein
Season of Da Siccness
Organized Konfusion
Funcrusher Plus
93 Til Infinity
One for All
The Realness
Madvillainy
Anghellic
Take a Look Around (masta ace)
The Sun Rises in the East
Violent by Design
Operation Doomsday
3 Feet High and Rising
Just Tryin ta Live
The Funky Technician
Strictly Business
6 Feet Deep
The Future is Now
Dogg Food
Tical
Unpredictable (mystikal)
Internal Affairs
Word...Life
Runaway Slave
Super Tight

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:15 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
there would have to be at least 128 albums to make it possible, and im not even sure 128 is enough

and where is
The Cold Vein
Season of Da Siccness
Organized Konfusion
Funcrusher Plus
93 Til Infinity
One for All
The Realness
Madvillainy
Anghellic
Take a Look Around (masta ace)
Violent by Design
Operation Doomsday
3 Feet High and Rising
Just Tryin ta Live
The Funky Technician
Strictly Business
6 Feet Deep
The Future is Now
Dogg Food
Tical
Unpredictable (mystikal)
Internal Affairs
Word...Life
Runaway Slave
Super Tight

Some of those are not obvious obmissions. Every album will not be accounted for. Only sure fire albums. I'll wait to see what others have to say. Like I mentioned i'm not turning this into a every artists in hip hop history has to have an album in this comp. I went through the top 10 album thread and constructed most from those list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:18 pm

Room can be made if we limit this to maybe artist can only have an two album max to rep in this?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:23 pm

^no we shouldnt do that

also, there has to be 128 regardless, for this to work out anyway
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

128 is cool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:36 pm

I don't think an artist should have more than one or two albums on this list

an artist's best album should be the only one on the list unless there is real controversy as to what the best is.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:37 pm

thats stupid, if an artists has more than one album a ton of people consider great it belongs

this isnt by artist remember, only abums
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:41 pm

here is the logic. If Blueprint is Jay-z's greatest album, what sense does it make to include reasonable doubt or black album? If they aren't even Jay's best album how is it going to be a GOAT?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:44 pm

I'm kinda of leaning that way also. 2 albums max per artist. What would be the next lowest number after 128?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 4:46 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:32 pm

I say 64 albums only. 128 would be FAR TOO HARD to keep up with. We can debate which albums get in, and I'm willing to help with the seedings if necessary.

As for how many albums should get in for an artist, I say 2 albums tops.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:36 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
here is the logic. If Blueprint is Jay-z's greatest album, what sense does it make to include reasonable doubt or black album? If they aren't even Jay's best album how is it going to be a GOAT?

It's debatable as to what Jay's best album is. Personally, I think Reasonable Doubt is his best, but Blueprint also belongs in the tourney. Those are the only two Jay albums that belong though IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:46 pm

Slang, of your picks only the following are sure fire bids for the tourney. I'm not saying that the others don't belong but only the ones below are obvious admissions.

93 Til Infinity
One for All
3 Feet High and Rising
Strictly Business

Last edited by Big Daddy Kool on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:48 pm

what a shock, 4 of those 5 are east coast and one sounds like an east coast album...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:49 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
I say 64 albums only. 128 would be FAR TOO HARD to keep up with. We can debate which albums get in, and I'm willing to help with the seedings if necessary.

Seeding will be random to keep it fair as possible without my or anybody's bias.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:50 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
what a shock, 4 of those 5 are east coast and one sounds like an east coast album...

If you knew how to read, I did say "I'm not saying that the others don't belong".

I could see Dogg Food and Super Tight making it, but I don't think they're locks.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:52 pm

I think all of Slang's picks are legit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:52 pm

No, but you said "only the ones below are obvious admissions"...lol... none of those are more obvious than anything else slang listed, it's a matter of preference really.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:53 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
No, but you said "only the ones below are obvious admissions"...lol... none of those are more obvious than anything else slang listed, it's a matter of preference really.

Bless you for still trying SRP, but KJ will never grasp this concept.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:54 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:

Seeding will be random to keep it fair as possible without my or anybody's bias.

Of course they should be without bias, but I'm saying that you should make the seedings according to how people generally feel about a said album. For example, albums like Illmatic, 36 Chambers, The Chronic, Nation Of Millions, and Aquemini should obviously have high seeds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:56 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Well it's a good thing you're not doing the tournament, if that were the case you'd have like 50 albums that only 6 people in here have ever heard.

And to Pedro....Strictly Business, 3 Feet High, and 93 Til are EASILY GOAT albums.

Last edited by Big Daddy Kool on Sat 23 Oct 2010, 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:56 pm

seeds mean nothing, they are just a matter of determining who plays who... being random is the fairest thing. Illmatic being seeded 264 will not hurt its standing in the tourney.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:57 pm

There would be a pointless debate about which album would have the number one rank. Kev's idea of random seeds will k.i.m.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 5:57 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Well it's a good thing you're not doing the tournament, if that were the case you'd have like 50 albums that only 6 people in here have ever heard.

I think you're mistaking me for Lounge. What I listen to is fairly mainstream out here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:00 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
seeds mean nothing, they are just a matter of determining who plays who... being random is the fairest thing. Illmatic being seeded 264 will not hurt its standing in the tourney.

Well Illmatic shouldn't be up against Ready To Die in the first round, nor should Aquemini be against Ridin Dirty in the first.

If you want the best possible finals matchups, it's best to make the most elite and well liked albums have the top seeds, just like in the NCAA tournament.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:02 pm

ummm... what does it matter if your two favorite albums meet up in the first or second round? only one will make it til the end. Random seedings worked great in the other tourneys Kev has run and leads to great matchups in all rounds not wack ones in the early rounds.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:03 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

you cant say that because there is no consenus what his best album is, some people may consider either of those the GOAT so either could win this tournament
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:06 pm

and id also throw in

187 He Wrote
Young Black Brotha
Illegal Business?

the bay needs rep here too
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:06 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Well Illmatic shouldn't be up against Ready To Die in the first round, nor should Aquemini be against Ridin Dirty in the first.

If you want the best possible finals matchups, it's best to make the most elite and well liked albums have the top seeds, just like in the NCAA tournament.

Well Duke won last year, so I can't support NCAA style. Not a fan of Duke and that is putting it extremely lightly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:07 pm

Half wrote:
I think all of Slang's picks are legit.

Yeah they're legit, but something is ALWAYS gonna be left out.

I'd say there's about 50 or so albums that are obvious no brainers, and the others should be debated upon.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:07 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
and id also throw in

187 He Wrote
Young Black Brotha
Illegal Business?

187 He Wrote and Young Black Brotha definitely should be here. I haven't listened to any Mac Mall so I can't comment on that last choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:08 pm

Half wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Well Duke won last year, so I can't support NCAA style. Not a fan of Duke and that is putting it extremely lightly.

I'm not a Duke fan either, but they WON the ACC so they earned the right to be in the tourney. Just as SRP doesn't like Illmatic, but it's earned the right to be in THIS tourney.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:09 pm

I think you are a no brainer KJ.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:10 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
and id also throw in

187 He Wrote
Young Black Brotha
Illegal Business?

Nice of you to try Slang, but you know as well as I do that those albums will get embarresed in here, KJ was actually right on that part, I read his post too fast and I missed the part where he said in here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:10 pm

Illmatic hasn't won anything so how does it deserve anything? Your comparisons lack.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:13 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Illmatic hasn't won anything so how does it deserve anything? Your comparisons lack.

Illmatic has earned the right because most rap fans throughout hip-hop nation see it as an all time great. There's a difference between sports and music so you know what I meant there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:15 pm

What you speak of is inherently unquantifiable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:16 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I think you are a no brainer KJ.

Yep, I'm one of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet. That's a no brainer.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:19 pm

orange you glad I didn't say banana?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 6:59 pm

So if we say only two max per artist:

Geto Boys: Grip It, We Can't Be Stopped, or/and Resurrection?

Roots: Illadelph Halflife, Do You Want More or/and Things Fall Apart?

Gang Starr: Daily Operation, Step Into The Arena or/and Hard To Earn?

Scarface: Face Is Back and The Fix or The Diary?

Redman: Whut Album?, Dare Is, and/or Muddy Waters?

Pac: MATW, AEOM, and/or Makavali?

Nas: Illmatic, IWW, and/or Stillmatic?

Outkast: ATLiens, Aquem, and/or Souternplaya?

I agree Jay should only have Reasonable D and Blueprint. Even though i'll take Black Album over RD easily.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:05 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
So if we say only two max per artist:

Outkast: ATLienAquems, , and/or Souternplaya?

I agree Jay should only have Reasonable D and Blueprint. Even though i'll take Black Album over RD easily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:18 pm

Outkast: ATLiens, Aquem, and/or Souternplaya?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:19 pm

Really some of these cats may deserve 3.....I may just roll with the 128. Cause as usual this can get out of hand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:25 pm

I don't really see how any of these dudes deserve three. Most have at most 2 albums people argue are the best. Outkast and Roots may be exceptions but for nas no nas fan will say any of his albums are better than illmatic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:28 pm

I kind of do because the 3 albums are almost always mentioned in classic status or high high regard. So let fate decide not us. Evey album that I listed on that short list has been mentioned as classic numerous times.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:43 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
and id also throw in

187 He Wrote
Young Black Brotha
Illegal Business?

Nice of you to try Slang, but you know as well as I do that those albums will get embarresed in here, KJ was actually right on that part, I read his post too fast and I missed the part where he said in here.

Illegal Business>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 7:44 pm

I co-sign Slang's whole list. Don't say "something for everybody" then omit Cold Vein, Future Is Now, Season Of Da Siccness, etc.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 8:06 pm

Jeff wrote:
I co-sign Slang's whole list. Don't say "something for everybody" then omit Cold Vein, Future Is Now, Season Of Da Siccness, etc.

i agree obviously since i made the list but yea the list i made had some personal choices and other stuff i thought should be on there, Kev had almost no DITC representation

Stunts, Blunts, Hip Hop should also arguably be on there
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitimeSat 23 Oct 2010, 8:07 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Jeff wrote:

i agree obviously since i made the list but yea the list i made had some personal choices and other stuff i thought should be on there, Kev had almost no DITC representation

Stunts, Blunts, Hip Hop should also arguably be on there

Well, it is a classic album
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament   Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatest Album Of All Time Tournament
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Topic of the Day-
Jump to: