Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Underrated Classics

Go down 
+2
E. Taylor
T. Myers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Underrated Classics Empty
PostSubject: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:37 am

I'm not sure if this will be a daily thread, but i've been spinning onyx all day. I can't help but to think that All We Got Iz Us is an extremely overlooked classic. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:58 am

Agree. I'm going to nominate Lords Of The Underground "Here Come The Lords". Most would say it's a 4.25-4.5 but to me it's a classic.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:02 pm

both those are definitely overlooked classics
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:12 pm

Rodney O and Joe Cooley - Fuck New York

anything by Playya 1000... and a ton more shit you fools probably never heard...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:14 pm

Cold Vein is classic to me.

its underrated by some and overrated by others, but thats an all time great album to me. I actually spin that more than Funcrusher Plus
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:22 pm

I absolutely hated both those albums. ^ Not my style at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:40 pm

Onyx 1st two albums are classic to me and the 3rd one is no slouch. Only reason I think they do not get mentioned as much is because their style is stuck in a time capsule if you would. It was such a novelity style for that era that does not progress well with time. Still luv those 1st 3 albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:42 pm

What "novelty" is that? Hardcore beats and rhymes that still sound dope to this day? I don't follow.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:43 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Onyx 1st two albums are classic to me and the 3rd one is no slouch. Only reason I think they do not get mentioned as much is because their style is stuck in a time capsule if you would. It was such a novelity style for that era that does not progress well with time. Still luv those 1st 3 albums.

Co-sign
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:50 pm

N3R0N0N Of 0nslaught3r wrote:
What "novelty" is that? Hardcore beats and rhymes that still sound dope to this day? I don't follow.

The over aggressive delivery and yelling. Not real current times friendly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 12:54 pm

MOP does that same shit. I think it's dismissive to call it a novelty. It was their style, it was different at the time, it influenced a WHOLE scene, and it works well to this day. Fuck the radio. My cd player doesn't mind it and neither do I.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 1:00 pm

MOP does that same shit. I think it's dismissive to call it a novelty. It was their style, it was different at the time, it influenced a WHOLE scene, and it works well to this day. Fuck the radio. My cd player doesn't mind it and neither do I.

Whoa whoa homey....lol. I wasn't downing the style I was saying it won't work in current climates its kind of stuck in that era. See MOP can't get no where.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 1:16 pm

Calling something a novelty is downing their style IMO.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 2:35 pm

KRob86 wrote:

Whoa whoa homey....lol. I wasn't downing the style I was saying it won't work in current climates its kind of stuck in that era. See MOP can't get no where.

MOP is one of the most consistent groups and have a nice core fanbase. They also had a breakthrough single and remix in Ante up that made some noise. But you act like MOP is trying to BLOW UP, when they're not. They seem satisfied with the type of music they make and their fanbase, so you saying they cant blow up is dumb because they haven't changed their style to give them the opportunity too. In other words they didnt sell out.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 2:42 pm

"But you act like MOP is trying to BLOW UP, when they're not."

I forgot you were a member of the group.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 3:11 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

MOP is one of the most consistent groups and have a nice core fanbase. They also had a breakthrough single and remix in Ante up that made some noise. But you act like MOP is trying to BLOW UP, when they're not. They seem satisfied with the type of music they make and their fanbase, so you saying they cant blow up is dumb because they haven't changed their style to give them the opportunity too. In other words they didnt sell out.

MOP did want to blow up remember Rocafella and than str8 to GUnit? That style is not radio friendly it's street approved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 3:36 pm

Good Topic Terry.....

I've got SEVERAL nominations for underrated classics. The first one I will mention is A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing by Black Sheep.

I think this album is highly underrated and had they not faded into obscurity after this joint, it would get more classic love. There isn't a wack rhyme or beat on the entire album, and the skits are fuckin HILARIOUS. Anyone who disagrees with me should go back and spin this album. It's aged well, and is bangin from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 6:29 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

I've got SEVERAL nominations for underrated classics. The first one I will mention is A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing by Black Sheep.

I think this album is highly underrated and had they not faded into obscurity after this joint, it would get more classic love. There isn't a wack rhyme or beat on the entire album, and the skits are fuckin HILARIOUS. Anyone who disagrees with me should go back and spin this album. It's aged well, and is bangin from start to finish.

I <3 that album! I really liked Non-Fiction too, but wasn't as good as AWISC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:29 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I'm not sure if this will be a daily thread, but i've been spinning onyx all day. I can't help but to think that All We Got Iz Us is an extremely overlooked classic. Thoughts?

It is an overlooked classic, and when it dropped in 95, it was overlooked due to a lot of other HOT albums that were released that year (Cuban Linx, Infamous, just to name a few). Sometimes I feel this is their best album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:30 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
Agree. I'm going to nominate Lords Of The Underground "Here Come The Lords". Most would say it's a 4.25-4.5 but to me it's a classic.

I have "Here Come The Lords" at 4.5 stars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:31 pm

KRob86 wrote:

Cosign.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:32 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

I cosign here also, Black Sheep's first album is an underrated classic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:34 pm

Myestro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

Yeah Non-Fiction was a 4 star album. I'm glad you and Wayne agree with me on Black Sheep's debut though. I still spin it fairly often.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:36 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Myestro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

Yeah Non-Fiction was a 4 star album. I'm glad you and Wayne agree with me on Black Sheep's debut though. I still spin it fairly often.

You're right KJ about AWISC. Some of my favorites on there are the classic The Choice Is Yours, Flavor Of The Month, Have UNE Pull, etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:45 pm

Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Myestro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

You're right KJ about AWISC. Some of my favorites on there are the classic The Choice Is Yours, Flavor Of The Month, Have UNE Pull, etc.

I love those three songs too. Other favs include Le Menage, Black With NV, and Strobelight Honey.

You should throw this joint up in the "Remember This Album" thread sometime.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:51 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Myestro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

I love those three songs too. Other favs include Le Menage, Black With NV, and Strobelight Honey.

It'll be in the "Remember this album" thread soon. And yeah, Strobelight Honey is another one of my favorites off this album too.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 9:48 pm

Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Myestro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

It'll be in the "Remember this album" thread soon. And yeah, Strobelight Honey is another one of my favorites off this album too.

Yeah, and I loved "U Mean I'm Not". I thought that shit was hilarious.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:07 pm

Myestro wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Wayne wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Myestro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Good Topic Terry.....

Yeah, and I loved "U Mean I'm Not". I thought that shit was hilarious.

Cosign.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Underrated Classics   Underrated Classics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Underrated Classics
Page 1 of 1