Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To All DJ Quik fans

Go down 
+5
Deanie O'Banion
T. Myers
E. Taylor
Highsmith
Shaun
9 posters
AuthorMessage

To All DJ Quik fans Empty
PostSubject: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:08 pm

I've been spinning some of his shit lately and I'm really diggin it. So far I've heard 3 of his albums and I like them all. Rhythm-A-Lism is my fav, followed by Safe & Sound and Quik Is The Name. Where should I go next? And how do you rank his stuff?

As of now, He's easily a Top 40 rapper of mine and if I dig his other stuff he'll creep higher.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:11 pm

Admin, please move this to the appropriate section. KJ, in the future, we have a section for this that needs some start up. Please use it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:13 pm

Steve wrote:
Admin, please move this to the appropriate section. KJ, in the future, we have a section for this that needs some start up. Please use it.

Not that it matters where this gets moved to (if it gets moved) BUT I thought this was general hip-hop discussion so that's why I posted it here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:15 pm

That section just started and needs help man, don't be a hater.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

You used to be a DJ Quik hater, but I will forgive you. Just download the man's entire catalog... it won't hurt you none...he doesn't have one bad CD. Trauma might be his "worst" relatively speaking, but still dope. Under the Infuence is really dope. If you dig Rhyhmalism then blance and options should be your next DL>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:21 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
You used to be a DJ Quik hater, but I will forgive you. Just download the man's entire catalog... it won't hurt you none...he doesn't have one bad CD. Trauma might be his "worst" relatively speaking, but still dope. Under the Infuence is really dope. If you dig Rhyhmalism then blance and options should be your next DL>

I just thought he was overrated because of the singles that used to play on Yo MTV Raps and Rap City. I picked up Quik Is The Name and think it's good but not the classic that a lot of peeps say it is. Then Terry rec'd Rhythm-A-Lism and I loved that album. Then I picked up Safe & Sound because Amazon had it for 6.99 and I really like that album too.

I'll take ur advice though and DL his whole catalog. I'll start by listening to Balance & Options once I do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:33 pm

Steve wrote:
That section just started and needs help man, don't be a hater.

I'm not being a hater, I just wasn't familiar with that section. As long as this thread gets replies though, I don't care where it's located.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 5:54 pm

Balance & Options is one of his waeker albums but still dope. I'll break down his discog when I get back in the artist info section. Quik is a top 10 rapper for me so trust me on this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 6:03 pm

Balance and Options is one of his doper albums, I say some random shit here, trust me.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 7:49 pm

Moved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 9:09 pm

This is the order I put them:

Quik Is The Name- 5
Way 2 Fonky- 5- a lot of people seem to not dig this one as high as I do. But this album is on the same level as Quick Is The Name.
Rhythm-A-Lism- 4.75
Safe & Sound- 4.5-4.75
Under The Influence- 4.5
Trauma- 4.25 (this is one of his most guest filled albums, but dope guest no doubt)
Balance & Options- 4.0-4.25
Blaqout- 3.5-3.75 (beat wise this one shines and Quik is on point. Its Kurupt and the short time of this album that brings it down)

Last edited by KRob86 on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 11:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 9:10 pm

Blakqout - DJ Quik & Kurrupt is 4 stars too, if you haven't heard it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 9:59 pm

Trauma is widely regarded as his worst, because of the guests and the poppier sound, but it's also the first time Quik's newly patented ID Drums sampling were on display, and that alone makes it worthwhile IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

Jeff wrote:
Trauma is widely regarded as his worst, because of the guests and the poppier sound, but it's also the first time Quik's newly patented ID Drums sampling were on display, and that alone makes it worthwhile IMO.

I don't know about widely because I do not even know 3 people that own the album. And it does have a poppier sound I guess. But instead of saying poppier i'll say more accessible to a non Quik fan or new listeners. Like I bet Powell would luv that album. And I rank it so high mainly because of his lyricism on that album. And I enjoyed all the guest instead of Wyclef...lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 10:46 pm

I own it...but I forgot I don't know the West
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 03 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm

Lmao @ the admin police. Thanks for the DJ Quik info Kev. I think I will start checking his albums out soon also. I have been a fan of his production, just never bought any of his CDs.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 9:16 am

My favorite after the 3 dope albums you already have would be "Way 2 Fonky". "Blaqkout" was one of my most highly anticipated albums of 09, but outside of some dope cuts, was a letdown for me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 8:33 am

Quik is The Name-5 stars
Rhythm-Al-Ism-5 Stars
Safe and Sound-5 stars
Way 2 Fonky-4.5 stars
Balance & Options-4.25 stars
Under Tha Influence-4.25 stars
Blaqkout-4 stars
Trauma-3.75 stars
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeFri 10 Sep 2010, 6:16 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Quik is The Name-5 stars
Rhythm-Al-Ism-5 Stars
Safe and Sound-5 stars
Way 2 Fonky-4.5 stars
Balance & Options-4.25 stars
Under Tha Influence-4.25 stars
Blaqkout-4 stars
Trauma-3.75 stars

I have Quik is The Name @ 4.5 stars, Balance & Options @ 4 stars, and Trauma @ 3.5 stars. I haven't heard Blaqkout yet. The rest of those ratings I agree with.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2010, 4:11 pm

I just ordered Quik Is The Name, Rhythmalism and Safe & Sound from amazon. $7.99 each...once I get them and give them a spin, I'll let you know my opinions.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2010, 5:20 pm

Your opinion will be, what took me so long to hear these 3 classics, and you will be very pissed at yourself for sleeping hahahahahaha. I was listening to Quik Is The Name when I was 12, and I still love that shit.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2010, 5:26 pm

LOL, co-sign Romped. I think all 3 are completely different, but all are completely dope
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSat 11 Sep 2010, 8:22 pm

That will probably be the case Romped. For some reason, I never checked out his CDs.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 7:38 pm

After spinning Rhythmalism, Safe & Sound and Quik Is The Name, I'll have to agree with KJ and say that I like them in that order. I would rate them all at atleast 4.5 stars. I am definitely going to check out some more of his music.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 7:55 pm

Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

I just thought he was overrated because of the singles that used to play on Yo MTV Raps and Rap City. I picked up Quik Is The Name and think it's good but not the classic that a lot of peeps say it is. Then Terry rec'd Rhythm-A-Lism and I loved that album. Then I picked up Safe & Sound because Amazon had it for 6.99 and I really like that album too.

I'll take ur advice though and DL his whole catalog. I'll start by listening to Balance & Options once I do.

Cosign SRP...Trauma was still dope though. I just wanted more Quik and less guests honestly.

Tran, Way 2 Fonky is up there too IMO. Balance & Options is a good pick too. I can see why you like Rhythm-A-Lism most though. Personally, it don't get no better than Quik Is The Name IMO....
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 7:56 pm

Jeff wrote:

Cosign. The production on the album is excellent.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 7:59 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I don't know about widely because I do not even know 3 people that own the album. And it does have a poppier sound I guess. But instead of saying poppier i'll say more accessible to a non Quik fan or new listeners. Like I bet Powell would luv that album. And I rank it so high mainly because of his lyricism on that album. And I enjoyed all the guest instead of Wyclef...lol.

Yeah, if said listener likes pop-rap. A more underground/old school hip-hop lover would dig his first 2-3 albums more IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 8:27 pm

I don't consider Trauma poppier, my only concern about Trauma is that is a sharp departure from Quik's super funky grooves. The production is really clean and almost electronic and lacks that extra soul and funk that makes Quik so dope. It's not bad, but to me it lacks something.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:05 pm

Alan wrote:
Big Daddy Kool wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Cosign SRP...Trauma was still dope though. I just wanted more Quik and less guests honestly.

Tran, Way 2 Fonky is up there too IMO. Balance & Options is a good pick too. I can see why you like Rhythm-A-Lism most though. Personally, it don't get no better than Quik Is The Name IMO....

??? I don't think I replied in this thread...lol. Also, Safe + Sound is easily my favorite Quik album, 5 stars all around. Those beats are top notch, and Quik stepped it up on the mic. Rhythm-A-Lism is like my fourth best from Quik.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 9:19 pm

Now that I think back to last week...lol, Safe & Sound was my fav followed by Rhythmalism and Quik Is The Name. They are still atleast 4.5
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 9:26 pm

So I now have Quik Is The Name, Way 2 Fonky, Safe & Sound and Balance & Options. Am I to assume "Under The Influence" should be next?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 9:28 pm

Rhythmalism?
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 10:07 pm

My bad Pedro, I forgot to mention Rhythmalism but I have that one as well.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 10:18 pm

Ah, then yeah, go head with Under The Influence. I like that one a lot, but it gets overlooked, not sure why really, it's even out of print now I think..lol
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 10:21 pm

No problem....once I get my Spice 1's in the mail, I will try to get that and the 2 II None CD.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeMon 25 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm

I like Unda Tha Influence also even though it has lost some replay value compared to how much I spinned it when it 1st dropped. I had to give it a break. Its a 4.25 or album easily.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011, 2:26 pm

Unda Tha Influence is easily my second favorite from Quik. I love that album, just wish they included the OG version of 50 Ways on there, a personal favorite for me.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011, 2:58 pm

Zaza Pachulia wrote:
Unda Tha Influence is easily my second favorite from Quik. I love that album, just wish they included the OG version of 50 Ways on there, a personal favorite for me.

Dang, was that the 1st Quik album you owned or heard?
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitimeTue 26 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm

Shaking My Head no. It was probably my 4th or 5th. I know I copped Quik Is the Name, Safe & Sound, Way 2 Fonky before. Behind Safe & Sound, Unda Tha Influence gets the most plays from me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To All DJ Quik fans   To All DJ Quik fans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To All DJ Quik fans
Page 1 of 1