Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Canibus - C of Tranquility

Go down 
+3
Esco
T. Myers
Jack of Spades
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Canibus - C of Tranquility Empty
PostSubject: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 2:05 am

So no one peeped this? This is a dope CD IMO. I have not fully peeped For Whom The BEat Tolls or Melatonin Magik, but this joint is dope.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 8:19 am

Don't know much about Bis's discog, only a few LP's.

Is this one new?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 8:37 am

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
So no one peeped this? This is a dope CD IMO. I have not fully peeped For Whom The BEat Tolls or Melatonin Magik, but this joint is dope.

Both of these albums are better than C Of Tranquility IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 8:38 am

It's on my 2010 list...and it's alright. I think the lyrics here are better than Melatonin Magik, but the beats aren't as consistent.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 9:20 am

Jeff wrote:
It's on my 2010 list...and it's alright. I think the lyrics here are better than Melatonin Magik, but the beats aren't as consistent.

Really? The review I read said the beats bumped and it was overall better than Melatonin, which was meh. I might still peep this though.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 9:22 am

Aside from a throw away Premo beat and a dope Jake One beat, the beats were kinda bland and lifeless
Back to top Go down
Esco
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 9:30 am

T. Myers wrote:
Aside from a throw away Premo beat and a dope Jake One beat, the beats were kinda bland and lifeless

They gave props to that premo beat too.. Ehh I may or may not listen to this. If the beats suck, I'm not trying to listen to Bis spit that same shit he's been on.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 9:37 am

The Premo beat is solid, but it's not a stellar beat for Premier by any means.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 1:48 pm

I think the beats are dope on here and I like this more than anything I heard on either of those other two LPs. Melatonin magik was just wack stoupe impersonations on every beat. This shit has variety, I would def. download it Esco.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeWed 20 Oct 2010, 2:49 pm

Im downloading it from Amazon as we speak. The samples were fire. Final verdict soon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:14 am

T. Myers wrote:

And J-Zone, who had the best beat on the album?
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 12:45 pm

He shouldve called this album C of Mediocrity. Not a wack album but there's no meat on these bones. As much flack as melatone magik got to me that LP did have spunk and some memorable tracks. This don't have one stand-out verse. Id say this is Bis's weakest effort since his rebirth of an artist. Hell, MicClub Curriculum is better than this
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 3:36 pm

This album makes Melatonin Magik sound like Rip The Jacker. Definitely forgettable.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 10:34 pm

i really like Mic Club: The Curriculum...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 10:44 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:

Jesus christ. You would.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 10:46 pm

Jeff wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

Jesus christ. You would.

i mean i rank it behind Rip the Jacker and 2000 BC but i dont see the hate people throw at it, there is PLENTY of dope songs on there
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 10:46 pm

LOL, i think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 10:56 pm

Seriously? There's one hook on the whole damn cd. One. Fucking. Hook. That's not music, that's amatuer hour. That shit I can hear on a mixtape. That's not music. There's no art to that whatsoever. If I wanted to listen to Canibus ramble on endlessly and stop caring 45 seconds into a verse...well...I'd probably kill myself for being a lame ass. One or two songs like that are tolerable but a whole cd is just an awful, incongruent mess.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm

eh, i never even noticed that, its all about beats and rhymes and that album delivers for the most part...

and besides do you really want to hear Canibus on hooks? ive never been big on hooks in the first place when it comes to some rappers especially when im trying to listen to Canibus

also, do you realy think theres anything really wack on that album? i mean i dont, i rate it about 4 stars, i guess overall th lack of hooks/structure brings it down now that i think about it but for the most part the beat and rhymes are good and i dont think theres any songs i cant listen to
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:03 pm

Mic Club definitely has had more replay value to me than a lot of albums, if not for the lyrics alone...more than any Nas album released after Gods Son, thats for sure
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:08 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
eh, i never even noticed that, its all about beats and rhymes and that album delivers for the most part...

and besides do you really want to hear Canibus on hooks? ive never been big on hooks in the first place when it comes to some rappers especially when im trying to listen to Canibus

also, do you realy think theres anything really wack on that album? i mean i dont, i rate it about 4 stars, i guess overall th lack of hooks brings it down now that i think about it but for the most part the beat and rhymes are good and i dont think theres any songs i cant listen to

This is the disconnect here. You like "raw" shit, as if not completing something I pay hard earned money for is an accomplishment or something. I like MUSIC. Like, good, polished, well done, artistic MUSIC. I DON'T like the fact there's 30 some odd fuck ups on 36 Chambers that at least 100 people heard before the cd went to press and they were like "eh, fuck it, good enough" or "man that shit is RAW! Did you hear GFK hiccup instead of saying that word! ILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL" instead I'd rather have a well done finished product that's something I can listen to more than once and say "that's dope and took some time and effort and talent". This is why mixtape artists never prosper and albums will never go away, this "raw" bullshit is all disposable garbage. Why do I want to listen to an unmixed, unmastered album for free? I don't, really. It's cool to check out once, but if the artist isn't putting any effort in, why should I?

Yes, I really want to hear Canibus on a hook. He's written some dope ones, actually. The track Irv Gotti produced off 2000 BC comes to mind immediately along with several others. I want to listen to artists who have or are capable of producing the total package, not just a one note piece of trash.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:21 pm

just b/c theres no hooks doesnt mean its not the total package IMO, a hook is not a necessary component of a song, and i consider Mic Club MUSIC...
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:22 pm

and i couldnt agree with you more that yea i like a full blown piece of art but some artists deliver this art in different ways, there isnt a set formula or criteria to making it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:24 pm

Music Theory is math and science, bro. There is a set formula. Moving outside of the norm is cool, but there has to be limits or it just becomes ambient noise or ceases to be music. Completely getting rid of the chorus to a rap song (which is already teetering on musicality because of the lack of melody in the lyrics as well as the music itself at times, basically stripping music of any melody whatsoever and treating it as a collection of rhythms) is leading down a very shaky path. Coupled with the fact that the subject matter isn't engaging and you're not only losing musicality, you're boring the listener.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeThu 21 Oct 2010, 11:27 pm

its arguable whether the subject matter is engaging, thats a subjective measure. Im wondering how you feel about most Primo produced tracks where the "hook" often times is just scratching? Is that a hook to you or do you not consider those as mathematical songs either?

and how do you feel about Rip the Jacker then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 12:16 am

I really love old skool screw and swishahouse freestyle tapes... they full of fuck ups, lack of choruses, etc... but the rawness and real feeling of freestyling is unbeatable. You haven't gotten raw shit like that from freestyles in decades on the east or west... you get writtens jumbled into generic rhymes...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 1:00 am

Allied Metaforces>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
its arguable whether the subject matter is engaging, thats a subjective measure. Im wondering how you feel about most Primo produced tracks where the "hook" often times is just scratching? Is that a hook to you or do you not consider those as mathematical songs either?

and how do you feel about Rip the Jacker then?

the scratched hook is a hook, Primo is very adept at making something musical out of things that may not be (much like all great producers, including your personal hero Rza). The subject matter on Rip The Jacker is far more focused and much more listenable because of it. BUT, that said, it's still rambling rhymes that could use a hook to at least break up the monotony.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 10:44 am

When I listen to music, I don't do it to solve for variables in different equations. Why? Probably because that's the hip way to listen to music...or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 11:11 am

Half wrote:
When I listen to music, I don't do it to solve for variables in different equations. Why? Probably because that's the hip way to listen to music...or something.

My point was simply that there IS a science to it, and that there are certain distinctions music has to have to qualify as music and not ambient noise.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 11:50 am

Jeff wrote:
Half wrote:

My point was simply that there IS a science to it, and that there are certain distinctions music has to have to qualify as music and not ambient noise.

Yeah you are right there, and I wasn't disputing that really, I was just saying that I never really take the math/science aspect of it into too much consideration. Then again, I've never really been involved in making music like you and some other guys on here, so maybe I would think differently if I did.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm

Jeff wrote:
Seriously? There's one hook on the whole damn cd. One. Fucking. Hook. That's not music, that's amatuer hour. That shit I can hear on a mixtape. That's not music. There's no art to that whatsoever. If I wanted to listen to Canibus ramble on endlessly and stop caring 45 seconds into a verse...well...I'd probably kill myself for being a lame ass. One or two songs like that are tolerable but a whole cd is just an awful, incongruent mess.

Yep only one hook, and not even any scratch-sample voices hooks. An incomplete album. Melatone had a lot of effort abeit some questionable tracks. I listened to C 3 times now and the song with the hook C of Tranquility is the only memorable track. It maybe Bis's best track he ever recorded after second round knockout. And what's up with the remix of Golden Terra of Rap were he had 2 mediocre vereses from 2 no name rappers and he simply said the same verse as the original? pitiful
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 12:50 pm

Dang! Trotter wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Yep only one hook, and not even any scratch-sample voices hooks. An incomplete album. Melatone had a lot of effort abeit some questionable tracks. I listened to C 3 times now and the song with the hook C of Tranquility is the only memorable track. It maybe Bis's best track he ever recorded after second round knockout. And what's up with the remix of Golden Terra of Rap were he had 2 mediocre vereses from 2 no name rappers and he simply said the same verse as the original? pitiful

The OG remix of "Golden Terra" is better than either version on the album, IMO. I posted it up forever ago in Jeff's News.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 1:39 pm

Y'all must be listening to a different album, this shit is dope son.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 2:18 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Mic Club definitely has had more replay value to me than a lot of albums, if not for the lyrics alone...more than any Nas album released after Gods Son, thats for sure

Bullshit, the only Nas album worse than Mic Club is Nastradamus. I do like Mic Club better than C of Tranquility though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeFri 22 Oct 2010, 2:27 pm

What is people's problem with this album? He absolutely rips Captain Cold Crush over a dope beat. Salute is another dope ass song with a hook and dope beat. Not sure what album people are talking about...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeTue 26 Oct 2010, 2:09 am

T. Myers wrote:
The Premo beat is solid, but it's not a stellar beat for Premier by any means.

I heard the track and you're gay
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitimeTue 07 Dec 2010, 10:11 am

I think this album is brilliant. It picks up right where MM left off. Bis comes hard with the lyrics, and that Premo beat is bangin'. Some of his subject matter talks about the state of hip hop (I know, the subject has been done to death), but Bis gives his own unique perspective on the topic, which makes it sound fresh.

Overall, the album is solid. I give it 4.5 stars with maximum replay value.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Canibus - C of Tranquility   Canibus - C of Tranquility Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Canibus - C of Tranquility
Page 1 of 1