Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nineteen Ninety Now

Go down 
+12
KJ Styles
E. Taylor
Half
RuKuS
T. Myers
parker lewis
Shaun
Laced With Slang
Xcel
Alan
J. Harris
Dang! Trotter
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

Nineteen Ninety Now Empty
PostSubject: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeSun 31 Oct 2010, 7:46 pm

5 stars all the way. This is the type of album that gets you excited about hip hop again. Figuratively speaking Celph resurrected hip hop. This album has made me want to listen to nothing but 90's shit for the rest of the year. I concur a lot of beats rappers use today would be considered wack in the 90's. Im not just speaking on pop bopper fluff but a those El-P beats and even some SCFBros. beats (except Cape Verde) wouldve been rejected in the 90-now.

To think about it producers in the 90s had it hard. No playstation or internet beatmaking programs to rely upon not to mention you had to clear your samples. Like Celph said, A kid in the 90's listening to rap was like a kid during the great Jazz era.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeSun 31 Oct 2010, 11:59 pm

Spot on review Trotter. My copy comes in on Wednesday, and I can't wait to bump the hell out of it. Next thing you know, more rappers will possibly follow this trend of rapping over 90s beats on future full length albums.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 5:38 pm

J. Harris wrote:
Spot on review Trotter. My copy comes in on Wednesday, and I can't wait to bump the hell out of it. Next thing you know, more rappers will possibly follow this trend of rapping over 90s beats on future full length albums.

I wouldn't say rapers would do full lengths with 90's beats but Im certain a lot of rappers now are gonna have atleast have 1 90's beat on their albums
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 5:45 pm

why haven't you helped out Black Ryu AKA MecchaGodzilla yet trotter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256734298/perfect-heaven-the-ryu-black-musical
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeMon 01 Nov 2010, 6:00 pm

I would expect nothing less than Banging beats from Buckwild...

Sounds like a dope album. I'll have to check it out...
Back to top Go down
Xcel
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Xcel

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 1:51 am

Alan wrote:

It is indeed a dope album. After a couple of listens, I got it at 4 - 4.25.

Whenever you check it out Alan, let me know what you think of it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 12:33 pm

I finally listened to it and I like it. It has a 90's feel without sounding dated though. I appreciate good music like this. Only small knock i may have is the rapping about rapping wears thin at times and Celph seemed a little unerwhelmed I guess lyrically on some songs. But overall i'll give it a 3.75-4.0 easily.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 2:35 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
why haven't you helped out Black Ryu AKA MecchaGodzilla yet trotter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1256734298/perfect-heaven-the-ryu-black-musical

He mat his quota
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 2:36 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
I finally listened to it and I like it. It has a 90's feel without sounding dated though. I appreciate good music like this. Only small knock i may have is the rapping about rapping wears thin at times and Celph seemed a little unerwhelmed I guess lyrically on some songs. But overall i'll give it a 3.75-4.0 easily.

CMON, everybody raps for the sake of rappin'. Celph's lyrics weren't underwhelming on any track. More like they were overbearing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 02 Nov 2010, 6:02 pm

Giving this a better listen on Napster... Celph Titled did his thing... smooth and chill instead of super punchario brother on every verse... better than I expected.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 5:13 am

Dang! Trotter wrote:
J. Harris wrote:

I wouldn't say rapers would do full lengths with 90's beats but Im certain a lot of rappers now are gonna have atleast have 1 90's beat on their albums

I've noticed this trend too. A lot of rappers are coming out with updated 90s beats. I'm glad to hear it, but a lot of the rappers are mediocre at best. That being said, I definitely check this out when I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 11:26 am

KRob TheRapGod wrote:

lol coming from the guy who ranks Slaughterhouse as classic...your losing credibility with every post "my dude"

more flip flopping than John Carey!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 12:11 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:

lol coming from the guy who ranks Slaughterhouse as classic...your losing credibility with every post "my dude"

Losing credibility to you? A young college kid from suburbia? GTFOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never ranked Slaughterhouse as a classic so get your facts str8. And Slaughterhouse is multiple emcee's not just one dude. Can you get that? Or is that to too the point for your smart ass?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 1:19 pm

KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:

Losing credibility to you? A young college kid from suburbia? GTFOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never ranked Slaughterhouse as a classic so get your facts str8. And Slaughterhouse is multiple emcee's not just one dude. Can you get that? Or is that to too the point for your smart ass?
still rappng about rapping...doesnt matter if its 1, 2 or 30 mcs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 3:05 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
KRob TheRapGod wrote:

still rappng about rapping...doesnt matter if its 1, 2 or 30 mcs

Yes it does cause at least you get a different voice maybe, flow, or delivery. It switches it up. And I did not bash the album or anything I just said "small knock" that was it.

Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 3:16 pm

Anybody griping about how Celph's rapping about rapping must never heard an EPMD album
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 9:20 pm

LMAO @ Trotter!!!! Your really comparing CELPH TITLED to EPMD?????? LMAO!!! I see you Trotter.... lmao
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 9:21 pm

Oh yeah!! YOU'RE* for Iowa... lmao
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 03 Nov 2010, 10:39 pm

I would much rather listen to Celph over EPMD, Powell, Jr.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 1:02 am

smh. So would I.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 7:41 am

Shaun wrote:
LMAO @ Trotter!!!! Your really comparing CELPH TITLED to EPMD?????? LMAO!!! I see you Trotter.... lmao

No, Im talking about how EPMD never said anything of substance..just cashing checks and snappin' necks
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 8:19 am

LOL, he was mocking a certain elder, and apparently Trotter missed it.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 8:23 am

I completely missed that. I was wondering why Shaun was suddenly being a prick.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 8:27 am

As for the album, I'm still spinning it a week later, and would even say i like it more after repeated listens. It's just different than his other songs/guest spots. It doesn't feel like you're being beaten over the head with punchlines.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 10:09 am

T. Myers wrote:
As for the album, I'm still spinning it a week later, and would even say i like it more after repeated listens. It's just different than his other songs/guest spots. It doesn't feel like you're being beaten over the head with punchlines.

Very good point. Maybe that is why I felt he seemed underwhelmed on some verses. I honestly was expecting a lot of punchlines. But i'm cool either way. Real dope album.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 11:59 am

I'm having a tough time finding a link. Could somebody upload this for me? Or if anyone with superior Google skills could search it out? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
RuKuS
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
RuKuS

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 12:09 pm

This album is friggin amazing. How is Celph underwhelming? Honestly, the gripe I saw coming before this album was put out was that it would be too one-dimensional since Celph is a punchline rapper (something he embraces through and through), but he switched it up quite nicely. Of course the battle raps/punchlines are there, but there are multiple story telling songs and even a poignant song or two. IMO, Celph established himself as a more well-rounded MC with this album.

4.5 *s IMO.

And this review hits the nail on the head:

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/album-reviews/id.1557/title.celph-titled-buckwild-nineteen-ninety-now
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 1:59 pm

Yeah this album is a 4.5 star banger and the best solo I've heard from the AOTP camp.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 7:57 pm

Xcel wrote:
Alan wrote:

It is indeed a dope album. After a couple of listens, I got it at 4 - 4.25.

Whenever you check it out Alan, let me know what you think of it...

Finally bumped this after forgetting about it for a while. Verdict? Fire. The whole thing is banging. I haven't really listened to much Celph Titled, and I was pretty much blown away. Again, I love these old school throwback albums. Buckwild delivered some of the nicest production of the year IMO.

4.25-4.5 stars from me...
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 9:42 pm

It's coming in the mail and i can't wait to get it. The anticipation is killing me.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 29 Dec 2010, 11:17 pm

I love this album, easily Top 10 material of 2010. I co-sign Pounds rating of 4.25-4.5.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011, 4:12 pm

R.A. The Rugged Man kills that shit on "Mad Ammo".
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011, 9:07 pm

Rugged Man kills every track he spits on.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeSun 16 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

parker lewis wrote:
Rugged Man kills every track he spits on.

Co-sign that. I know i'm way late but i just got JMT "Servants In Heaven" and Rugged Man absolutely kills his verse on "Uncommon Valor".
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeMon 07 Mar 2011, 2:09 pm

If I had to choose the best album of 2010 i'd probably pick this one, or El Da Sensei & The Returners. Celph kills every track that he spits on, his metaphors are amazing, he hits viciously and he doesn't care. "I appeared on more tracks than Dale Ernhardt's ghost" killed me. Buckwild beats are simply great, it is incredible how they sound actual even if they are not.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 6:35 pm

mistadave wrote:
If I had to choose the best album of 2010 i'd probably pick this one, or El Da Sensei & The Returners. Celph kills every track that he spits on, his metaphors are amazing, he hits viciously and he doesn't care. "I appeared on more tracks than Dale Ernhardt's ghost" killed me. Buckwild beats are simply great, it is incredible how they sound actual even if they are not.

Good call Dave. Celph completely kills this album. I love everything about it. Definitely in my top 3-5 of 2010.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 11:04 am

Have you ever heard The Demigodz EP, Alan? I can't speak on the added tracks for the rerelease, but I assume you'd like the original at least. Did you ever check out any of Apathy's material?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 09 Mar 2011, 11:19 am

I have The Gods Must Be Crazier. I like the added tracks quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

parker lewis wrote:
Have you ever heard The Demigodz EP, Alan? I can't speak on the added tracks for the rerelease, but I assume you'd like the original at least. Did you ever check out any of Apathy's material?

I have not. I heard he was with them. Thanks for the heads up.....
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 6:21 pm

Apathy definitely keeps his sound in the 90s.
Back to top Go down
RuKuS
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
RuKuS

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 01 Jun 2011, 6:29 pm

Ap is the dopeness. Honkey Kong 8/23.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeWed 31 Aug 2011, 2:52 am

I just wanted to bump this thread to say "Miss Those Days" is a beautiful tribute to hip hop. That is all Good Music
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 4:04 pm

I'm going to check this out. I know I'm late on this one, but bare with me, lol.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 4:10 pm

I think this would be more up your alley than KDH, but both are dope to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either really.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 4:12 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think this would be more up your alley than KDH, but both are dope to me. I don't think you can go wrong with either really.

I hear you on this one.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 6:11 pm

Late?! By the time you're bumpin this, I'll be bumpin Nineteen-Ninety-More! Haha, it's all good man, better late than never.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 6:15 pm

Myestro wrote:
Late?! By the time you're bumpin this, I'll be bumpin Nineteen-Ninety-More! Haha, it's all good man, better late than never.

Oh yeah, I'm catching up on a lot of things, mostly underground, that I should've been checking out a long time ago, and this album is one of them.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeThu 08 Dec 2011, 11:55 pm

THIS will be added to my collection.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeFri 09 Dec 2011, 12:45 am

Wayne wrote:

I take it you listened on spotify? Even if you're not much of a Celph fan, the mid to late 90s Buckwild production seems like it would be right up your alley. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Have you peeped Sparta (M.O.P. & Snowgoons) yet?
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitimeFri 09 Dec 2011, 1:21 pm

Myestro wrote:
Wayne wrote:

I take it you listened on spotify? Even if you're not much of a Celph fan, the mid to late 90s Buckwild production seems like it would be right up your alley. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Have you peeped Sparta (M.O.P. & Snowgoons) yet?

Yep, listened to it on Spotify and I will be ordering this one. I like Celph and of course I like Buckwild's production also. I will be checking the M.O.P. one also pretty soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nineteen Ninety Now   Nineteen Ninety Now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nineteen Ninety Now
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next