Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)

Go down 
+9
arokone
Shaun
Half
Myestro
E. Taylor
Laced With Slang
KJ Styles
T. Myers
Tic706
13 posters

Boots Riley vs. Esham
Boots Riley
GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Vote_lcap69%GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Vote_rcap
 69% [ 9 ]
Esham
GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Vote_lcap31%GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Vote_rcap
 31% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Empty
PostSubject: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 10:24 pm

GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Boots

vs.

GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Artist_esham
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 10:26 pm

Boots Riley
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 10:33 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Boots Riley
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 10:47 pm

Boots easily.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 10:53 pm

East Side Hoes And Money easily...Linker where you at!
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:05 pm

Boots easy.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:30 pm

i dont think people realize how important Esham is to not only Detroit hip hop and midwest hip hop, but hip hp in general. Esham started his OWN GENRE of rap, he sparked the sound of an entire state that is still heard today, he influenced all of your favorite horrorcore rappers and has one of the most devoted fanbases of all tme. Boots Riley was in a pretty dope west coast group, no comparison. Esham style wise destroys him IMO, and sometimes The Coup albums are hard to get through all the way. Esham is also part of the group NATAS. Anyone who raps from Michigan is some how, some way influenced by Esham, dude is a regional GOD.

Last edited by Slang Editorial on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm

Boots Riley is dope, but I guess it would depend on what people are basing their votes on.

I'm voting for Esham, and rather easily too. Wu-Tang Stan hit the nail on the head.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeWed 05 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm

Esham but I'm not a big fan of either to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 4:16 am

Boots, fuck off.
Back to top Go down
arokone
Jazz Fiend
arokone

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 10:02 am

Although I respect what Esham has done for the midwest, 99.9% of the time I'm reaching for some Boots before esham.. Sorry Slang..

Peace
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 10:26 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
i dont think people realize how important Esham is to not only Detroit hip hop and midwest hip hop, but hip hp in general. Esham started his OWN GENRE of rap, he sparked the sound of an entire state that is still heard today, he influenced all of your favorite horrorcore rappers and has one of the most devoted fanbases of all tme. Boots Riley was in a pretty dope west coast group, no comparison. Esham style wise destroys him IMO, and sometimes The Coup albums are hard to get through all the way. Esham is also part of the group NATAS. Anyone who raps from Michigan is some how, some way influenced by Esham, dude is a regional GOD.

That's all fine and dandy, but you also got to realize that Esham is very niche specific. If a hip hop fan does not care for that particular niche or if it is lower on the totem pole compared to other sub genres, Esham just isn't gonna get the spins that others may get. I'd rather listen to political hip hop over horrorcore most of the time.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 11:07 am

Exactly terry. And who cares about his legacy when comparing skills? I respect what Esahm stands for but Boots is better at what he does to me.

And Esham did not influence every horrorcore rapper. Geto Boys probably had more to do with that.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 12:57 pm

Shockingly, I don't own any album from either artists...smh

no vote
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 1:01 pm

I'm not sure why that is shocking. i don't think any of them are under $1.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 1:08 pm

I had a chance to buy a couple of Coup albums for really cheap, but I didn't like the condition of the CD. Sad
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 1:11 pm

yeah, i had to look around a lot cause i was determined to not buy the crappy Wild Pitch re-releases of Kill My Landlord and Genocide and Juice. I think i ended up getting both for about $17 or $18 in Like New condition.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 1:17 pm

Yeah, those Wild Pitch re-releases were really crappy. The only good thing that came out of those is they lower the prices on the OG versions.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 2:57 pm

I'm going with Boots. Funny thing is, the only thing I've ever heard him on is Street Sweeper Social Club. I've heard some Esham sparingly with one of my friends that is into him and I was never feelin it.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeThu 06 Jan 2011, 9:54 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
Boots easy.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 2:32 am

I like Esham as in a few tracks each album. Boots is crazy consistant. And good. I will say that what I like from Esham is more original and infectious than Boots' music. But I like more of what Boots does.

Boots the vote
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 3:32 pm

Laughing My Ass Off

at this thread
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 3:34 pm

"i dont think people realize how important Esham is to not only Detroit hip hop and midwest hip hop, but hip hp in general. Esham started his OWN GENRE of rap, he sparked the sound of an entire state that is still heard today, he influenced all of your favorite horrorcore rappers and has one of the most devoted fanbases of all tme"

None of that has to do with anything. Sugarhill broke hip hop into the mainstream, but you don't see them being listed as a top group...
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 7:16 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Boots Riley was in a pretty dope west coast group, no comparison. Esham style wise destroys him IMO, and sometimes The Coup albums are hard to get through all the way. Esham is also part of the group NATAS. Anyone who raps from Michigan is some how, some way influenced by Esham, dude is a regional GOD.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'd say The Coup was far more groundbreaking (definitely in a different way), had far better production, had far better lyrics. Not to mention much longer lasting replay value. How you can't "make it all the way through" a Coup record is simply baffling to me. Esham "destroys" Boots style wise? You apparently dislike Boots' style or anything similar. In fact, I'd argue the opposite - Boots Riley is one of the finest writers in hip-hop. Every word is packed with meaning. Regional God though? Slug's a regional God? Does that make him better than Boots? Hell no.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 8:48 pm

i dont know man, i like the Coup and they have dope albums (ive heard two only - Steal This Album and Genocide and Juice and they are both dope theres no denying but i often find myself not spinning the entire album. id rather hear Esham all day though, i like his style more and although Boots has the better message obviously, Esham does it way more for me...theres a reason Esham has so many loyal fans and the Coup at least from people ive talked to are just another dope west coast group
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitimeFri 07 Jan 2011, 9:02 pm

Well you are from Detroit, so you should hear more about Sham. But trust me no one really knows him outside of Michigan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)   GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GUR Tourney Round 1: Boots Riley vs. Esham (B1)
Page 1 of 1