Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang

Go down 
+8
Justin Linker
Tic706
KJ Styles
mistadave
SyRuP Sippa
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Highsmith
T. Myers
12 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Empty
PostSubject: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 3:39 pm

Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS53zZvkaZqUqfCTU_KR_DHCRsgDOUmL6rf4ntFD567NkGf4SqYLDb1V-Bv

This album delivers the goods. Very nice Wu-esque beats without RZA. The songs are mostly short, but they pack a punch. Very nice guest spots by Meth, Ghost, a re-energized Busta Rhymes, and Black Thought. There are a few mainstream type of tracks, but they are of the good variety. Ferry Boat Killaz and Snake Pond are just raw. Obviously Butter Knives is dope. Masters Of Our Fate is epic.

Last edited by T. Myers on Tue 08 Mar 2011, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 4:22 pm

I agree 125% Terry. Masters Of Our Fate is clearly the best track and I only have 1 skip track so far, Rock And Roll. The beat on Ferry Boat Killaz is insane. They should have extended the track and put a Ghost verse on there.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

So 17 tracks and it's under 50 minutes???? Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 5:09 pm

Yeah, there are a lot of 2 and 3 minute tracks. a few are longer but not many.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 5:22 pm

Snake Pond>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just wish the song was longer than 2 minutes an 29 seconds!
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 5:28 pm

The worst song on the album so far is also the longest song on the album. Ain't that some shit. Rock N Roll sucks.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeTue 08 Mar 2011, 7:31 pm

Just gave this a spin... I'd say it's a strong 3.5 to 4 for me... exactly what I expected from a Raekwon CD nowadays. Wu has almost become predictable to me, which isn't a bad thing I guess, but not a great thing either.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 7:17 am

I gave it a spin last weekend, I think that it's dope, some material really reminds me of old Wu-Tang material. I was partly disappointed by tracks like Butter Knives, Chop Chop Ninja and Crane Style, but it was the first listen.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 10:07 am

I don't understand the hate for Chop Chop Ninja, that chick that was singing on the track has a dope voice and set the perfect tone for the song. It's among my favs on the album.

And Mistadave, you don't like Butter Knives??? Wow, that's easily one of the best on the album. It was the first single and got me hyped to cop this joint.

Rock N Roll is the only skip track IMO. If not for that, I'd be inclined to call it a classic. It's about 4.5-4.75 stars. Probably my favorite album released in the last 3 years.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 10:11 am

I wouldn't even consider Rock N Roll skip worthy personally.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 10:12 am

T. Myers wrote:
I wouldn't even consider Rock N Roll skip worthy personally.

The chorus and Jim Jones' wack lyrics kill the song for me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 10:16 am

That definitely brings it down, but the rest of the track is dope. I can stomach the chorus and Jim Jones in order to hear the rest.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 10:32 am

I just hate the fact that it was the longest fucking song on the album...lol
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm

Yeah Rae and these short ass songs gets on my last at times. But than again since he has no true song structure to his songs and lack of subject matter its probably for the best.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm

mistadave wrote:
I gave it a spin last weekend, I think that it's dope, some material really reminds me of old Wu-Tang material. I was partly disappointed by tracks like Butter Knives, Chop Chop Ninja and Crane Style, but it was the first listen.

I dig Butter Knives and Crane Style but the hook to Chop Chop Ninja was just awful. It didn't fit to these ears. The beat sucked too. IMO of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm

The tracks where Rae is just telling war stories are excellent. Otherwise, he just doesn't do it for me, lyrically. He doesn't have enough personality to deliver the bragging, "I've got more money/mic skills than you" type lyrics. I think Method, Ghost, Black Thought, & Busta all destroyed him on their respective tracks.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 1:55 pm

I'm not understanding the Jim Jones and Wu collaborations and between Handcuffin Them Hoes and Rock And Roll they both get a Thumbs down from me personally. Estelle is a great artist KJ. I have her CD and it's pretty good. However, her 1 minute intro into the song is unnecessary and IMO brings the song down. I wouldn't skip it like I do Rock And Roll but the unnecessary singing prevents Chop Chop Ninja from being in any of my Top song lists for this album.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeMon 14 Mar 2011, 5:06 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
I don't understand the hate for Chop Chop Ninja, that chick that was singing on the track has a dope voice and set the perfect tone for the song. It's among my favs on the album.

And Mistadave, you don't like Butter Knives??? Wow, that's easily one of the best on the album. It was the first single and got me hyped to cop this joint.

Rock N Roll is the only skip track IMO. If not for that, I'd be inclined to call it a classic. It's about 4.5-4.75 stars. Probably my favorite album released in the last 3 years.

My bad. I didn't mean Butter Knives, I've had digit the wrong song by mistake. I meant Dart School. Butter Knives is one of the cuts with ol' Wu-Tang flava in it, one of the dopest.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 9:32 am

This is goin' on heavy rotation, kids. The first half of the cd is straight up classic, a banger after another, Rae at his maximum. Butter Knives really reminds me of old Wu Tang era, it could be mistaken as a leftover from 36 Chambers. I really liked the Black Thought joint, he dropped a dope verse there. Ghost kills every track that he spits on. Wack Joints: Rock'N Roll, Dart School (putrid beat...). 4.25 stars.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 5:08 pm

This is going on limited rotation kids, I listen to maybe 3 or 4 tracks from the album, nobody really impresses on the mic this time around, good album overall, but definitely lacking compared to Rae's last album, and hopefully this won't end up in my top ten for the year. 3.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 5:44 pm

Half wrote:
This is going on limited rotation kids, I listen to maybe 3 or 4 tracks from the album, nobody really impresses on the mic this time around, good album overall, but definitely lacking compared to Rae's last album, and hopefully this won't end up in my top ten for the year. 3.5 stars.

I agree the album lost steam pretty fast for me. Good album, prolly a few notches above Wu-Masacre but lacking in thickness
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 6:45 pm

Rae destroys Ghost and Meth on every track they are on together, like easily too

and why do people complain about short songs but give other artists like Doom and Madlib a pass for making short songs lol...short songs >>>>

i like my albums quick and to the point for the most part
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 6:58 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Rae destroys Ghost and Meth on every track they are on together, like easily too

and why do people complain about short songs but give other artists like Doom and Madlib a pass for making short songs lol...short songs >>>>

i like my albums quick and to the point for the most part

They don't get a pass...they typically make memorable short tracks. A lot of the ones on this album flew right by.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 7:02 pm

hmm to me the Madvillain tracks fly right by...both in good ways...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitimeThu 31 Mar 2011, 7:03 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
hmm to me the Madvillain tracks fly right by...both in good ways...

"Fly right by" to me means I barely notice them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang   Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raekwon-Shaolin Vs. Wu-Tang
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: Hip Hop Discussion :: Reviews-
Jump to: