Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DJ Quik- The Book Of David

Go down 
+9
Highsmith
Jack of Spades
Justin Linker
Laced With Slang
parker lewis
T. Myers
Tic706
SyRuP Sippa
KJ Styles
13 posters

whats your rating?
DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_lcap17%DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_lcap50%DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_rcap
 50% [ 3 ]
DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_lcap33%DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_lcap0%DJ Quik- The Book Of David Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

DJ Quik- The Book Of David Empty
PostSubject: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

DJ Quik- The Book Of David 51lb0fjd3blss500

This album is AMAZING and slides Quik into about my Top 30 of MC's. For those who haven't copped this, do so immediately.

It's definitely got an old school feel to it and will make your head nod. It sounds like he went back to his roots with this joint. Out of 17 tracks, there's only 2-3 that I skip.

I think this album will appeal to both old and new school hip-hop fans. Diehard Quik fans definitely won't be disappointed, and this album can easily convert new fans as well. Think Safe & Sound meets Rhythm-A-Lism.

This album has so many bangers that it's hard to decide what the best track on it is. Right now I'm really lovin Flow For Sale (featuring Kurupt) Poppin (a break beat track that samples the Beastie Boys' Paul Revere) and Babylon (a track that features Bizzy Bone) all are certified bangers though and can compete for dopest track on any given day.

Other bangers include Nobody (featuring Suga Free) Real Women (featuring Jon B) and Across The Map (featuring Bun B and Bizzy Bone).

This is a must own for any true hip-hop fan, and easily one of the best albums of 2011 thus far. I don't see this leaving my Top 10.

My ratings after 2 full spins is 4.25-4.5 stars.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Wed 20 Apr 2011, 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:15 pm

I agree with KJ's assessment. I love this CD.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm

Glad you are feeling it. I'm not really ready to give my full opinion on it since I have only listened to it one time. I need to let my pre hype die down before I can truly go in on it. I can tell you this that I like it but I don't luv it after one spin. I did not like that song Poppin and Bizzy Bone sounds terrible. I really see no reason for him to be on any song on this album period. After more spins i'll be back with a more soild opinion though.

I do agree with your Safe Sound meets Rhythm-A-lism comments. I can see that a tad.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:22 pm

I can see why you don't like Poppin Kev, since you don't really like the Beastie Boys or break beats. That said....SMFH!

It's a hip-hop album with an R&B feel to it. If that's not really your style you're not gonna dig this album as much but it's a banger. Glad you dig it SRP, and you should bump it a few more times Kev, you may like it a bit more. I can't see less than 4 stars for this personally, but right now I've got it at about 4.25-4.5 stars. It's the 3rd best album of 2011 so far for me behind Shaolin vs Wu Tang and Avengers Airwaves.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:30 pm

Aside from Nobody, i agree with KJ's bangers. It's not a skip track, but it's not something that stands out to me either.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 3:53 pm

I'm not really any sort of Quik fan... I listen to his music and mostly like it. For the most part I would say I could take it or leave it.

From that perspective I am saying that Book of David sounds pretty damn amazing after one listen. Quik really rips the mic on a few tracks, and the production is actually way better than I expected. For the record, I always do expect great production from him.

Really, the whole shit's dope. Bizzy does his thing, Jon B sounds like he was born on a Quik track.

He sounded like Bizzy to me. If you don't like him, you don't like him, but I would say Quik knew what he was doing. He definitely added the BoneThug sound to a Quik production. I'd say it works pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 5:44 pm

Well Bizzy has always annoyed me after his 1st solo album. That high pitch rhyme style gets on my last. I could have done without him.

Like I said I need to spin it more. I'll be playing it for a 2nd time 2morrow. I'm good with the album for the most part. Quik is my number 6 fav so I expect so much out of him.

And did Bun kill his guest appearance or what?!?!!?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 6:00 pm

Bizzy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Willie D, Gangsta Pat, Bushwick Bill, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 6:00 pm

ill be ordering this soon, and i added a poll
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 6:38 pm

I voted 4.5 since 4.25 wasn't an option.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 6:42 pm

Yes, Bun killed it but he generally does
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 7:09 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Well Bizzy has always annoyed me after his 1st solo album. That high pitch rhyme style gets on my last. I could have done without him.

Like I said I need to spin it more. I'll be playing it for a 2nd time 2morrow. I'm good with the album for the most part. Quik is my number 6 fav so I expect so much out of him.

And did Bun kill his guest appearance or what?!?!!?

Yes! That's why I don't buy Bizzy's solos anymore. Heavenz Movie and The Gift are the only 2 of his solos I can listen to straight forward. He sounds good on BTNH but on his own it's difficult for me to listen to a full album. His whining gets on my nerves after a while.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Bizzy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Willie D, Gangsta Pat, Bushwick Bill, Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco

Irony?
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 20 Apr 2011, 7:26 pm

Very dope LP. Can easily become a 5 star effort.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeThu 21 Apr 2011, 10:18 am

I listened to it for a 2nd time and I can see a 4.25 rating for it easily. 4.5 is a push but not unseeable. Nothing less than 4.0 though.

It sounded even better on my 2nd listen. A more mature Quik and lyrically he's killing this shit. I was even able to tolerate Bizzy a little more this time. I still wish he only was on the hooks at the most but I was able to deal. KK still sounds good on Quik beats. That dude has one of the dopest rap voices. It will place in my top 10.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeWed 08 Jun 2011, 4:20 pm

Finally checked this one out and it's good to see that even in 2011 and 6 years since his last release Quik still has it. Other than Bizzy Bone's 2 contributions to this CD, everything else is pretty good. I would say 4 stars after 1 spin. I never thought I would have bought 7 Quik CDs in less than a year, when I had only heard his singles before that.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 10:15 pm

Yeah I just heard this and this album is excellent. I'm gonna be listening to it a ton in the coming weeks but I already probably have this in my top 3 for the year. Not a weak track on it. I would rate it but what's the point, right SRP? Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 10:20 pm

Still need to get this
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct 2011, 10:04 pm

Kurupt kills his spot, Bizzy sounds like a chick, but I don't mind it once I realize it's Bizzy, and Hydromatic is a top 5 track of the year.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct 2011, 10:05 pm

Suga Free kills his spot, too
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeTue 25 Oct 2011, 11:33 pm

This album was really moved up for since my original post. I'm even feeling that song Poppin now. Quik really switched up his production style for this album. Proving he is one of the best easily.

4.25-4.5.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeThu 27 Oct 2011, 6:09 pm

"I'm still on the flow 2010/ Still got around 2000 to spend"

Where'd Cube's money go?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeSat 24 Dec 2011, 7:43 pm

Just finally got around to ordering this one. I totally forgot Quik dropped an album this year. I'm looking forward to it since everybody's review is so positive.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeSat 24 Dec 2011, 7:56 pm

Flow For Sale is a Top 5 song for the year.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitimeSun 25 Dec 2011, 12:35 am

I'll be checking this one out soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DJ Quik- The Book Of David   DJ Quik- The Book Of David Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DJ Quik- The Book Of David
Page 1 of 1