Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?

Go down 
+10
Wayne
Myestro
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
T. Myers
Laced With Slang
Tic706
TheHazardous
Deanie O'Banion
SyRuP Sippa
Justin Linker
14 posters

Yes
Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Vote_lcap17%Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
No
Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Vote_lcap83%Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Vote_rcap
 83% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Empty
PostSubject: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 2:08 pm

Wasn't sure what section to put this since I'm actually applying to all genres.

Let's say your favorite rapper or singer or group dropped a Greatest Hits album next tuesday, with maybe 1 or 2 new or unreleased songs on there. And said artist(s) has about 10 albums under their belt, and you own all 10 of them. Would you buy the greatest hits album just to add to your collection? Or would you just let it slide and download the 2 extra songs?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 2:25 pm

It depends. On most people I don't buy a greatest hits. For Gang Starr I got it because of the few unreleased and random songs all on two discs and honestly I spin it more than any individual GS album.

For people I stan over like K-Rino or Mac Dre I buy their GH. K's came with 2 unreleased songs. MD's always have random shit off different albums from other rappers so it's never that bad, but they are on MD's GH Vol. 5! I still haven't gotten that one.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 2:56 pm

Justin Linker wrote:
Wasn't sure what section to put this since I'm actually applying to all genres.

Let's say your favorite rapper or singer or group dropped a Greatest Hits album next tuesday, with maybe 1 or 2 new or unreleased songs on there. And said artist(s) has about 10 albums under their belt, and you own all 10 of them. Would you buy the greatest hits album just to add to your collection? Or would you just let it slide and download the 2 extra songs?

Yes, if it has those extra couple of new tracks. An example I can think of is Spice 1, with Balls & Brains & Nobody Want Work.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 2:59 pm

Probably not. In general I get Greatest Hits to try a new artist or if it has significant bonus features. In this day and age with what I know I download them bad boys. Besides most of the time artist benefit very little from GH album. GH should be dropped at the close of a career or if they have significant volume of body of work like Mac Dre, Esham, and Too Short.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 3:46 pm

I wouldn't if I own all or most of their albums anyway. But if its a grp or artist that I know I only like their singles or that therr singles were really there best songs. I would buy it in a heartbeat. I try not to buy collections just to say I have them.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 6:49 pm

i dont like Greatest Hits albums nor would i buy them, id rather hear albums the way they were supposed to sound and if i want a playlist of songs by an artist ill make one myself
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 7:10 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
i dont like Greatest Hits albums nor would i buy them, id rather hear albums the way they were supposed to sound and if i want a playlist of songs by an artist ill make one myself

Cosign but I do own a few for various reasons
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 7:19 pm

I'm a collector, I like having the artists' full discography.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 7:40 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

Cosign but I do own a few for various reasons

Same. Gang Starr's "Full Clip" is the only one I bought myself (unless The Gatalog counts as a GH). The others were gifts from friends that knew I like said artists and don't have their full discog. Example: My roommate got me The Best of DJ Quik for Christmas a few years ago.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 7:50 pm

Snoop's Death Row hits album was worth a purchase. So was Pac's
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 9:20 pm

Forgot about Pac's. Though technically I didn't pay for it. It was one of the freebies I picked from BMG (remember that shit?).
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 9:43 pm

I bought Nas' Greatest Hits, for obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeFri 22 Apr 2011, 9:59 pm

Yeah, that Pac was probably the last greatest hits that I copped (that I can remember).
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 12:30 pm

As many have mentioned, if there are unreleased/extra tracks then yes, otherwise no.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 1:53 pm

Half wrote:
As many have mentioned, if there are unreleased/extra tracks then yes, otherwise no.

I wouldn't, even with the unreleased tracks. I can't justify paying money again, for 15 (or so) songs that I already paid for, and 2 or 3 that I haven't.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 3:17 pm

^ i agree
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSat 23 Apr 2011, 3:29 pm

I know Linker's post implies buying new but a lot of times they are worth it used.
Back to top Go down
ACRID"
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
ACRID

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 1:56 am

bought the alice in chains greatest hits the other day...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 7:01 pm

smh. I wish I could just throw money away.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 8:48 pm

If the greatest hits collection is remastered then I consider it. Like The Geto Boys' greatest hits for example. The songs from the Greatest hits sound better than the songs on the actual CD(s). If there are new tracks, I would just get the new tracks if they are worth getting from Itunes...i..e Nas' "Surviving The Times"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album?   Would you still buy a Greatest Hits album? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1