Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62

Go down 
+4
Wayne
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
D.Powell
T. Myers
8 posters
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Empty
PostSubject: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 8:06 am

Alright, I think this is gonna be the last entry in the series. It's been fun, but it's also lost a lot of steam. Today's nomineee is Michael Jackson
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 11:26 am

that's WACK Terry......keep the thread going until at least 100 entries because there is a bunch of acts you haven't even mentioned yet....r&b is part of the rhythms that hip-hop was created too as well as reggae and funk so all of these so called hip-hop heads need to do their homework and respect the culture...

anyway Mike does not have a top 5, he has a top 300...he is the GOAT r&b act of all-time IMO!

so I'll just list a bunch of songs and call it a day!

in no particular order:

Workin' Day and Night
Billie Jean
P.Y.T.
Rock With You
Dirty Diana
BAD
Black Or White
This Time Around/featuring Biggie Smalls
Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough
She Drives Me Wild/featuring Wreckx-N-Effect
Off The Wall
I Can't Help It
She's Out Of My Life
Beat It
Wanna Be Startin' Something
Human Nature
Thriller
The Girl Is Mine
Baby Be Mine
Liberian Girl
I Just Can't Stop Loving You
Man In The Mirror
The Way You Make Me Feel
Another Part Of Me
Smooth Criminal
In The Closet
Remember The Time
JAM/featuring Heavy D
The Way You Make Me Feel
Leave Me Alone
Why You Wanna Trip On Me
Heal The World
Give In To Me
Who Is It
Dangerous
Can't Let Her Get Away
Scream
They Don't Care About Us
You Are Not Alone
Come Together
Earth Song
Unbreakable
Rock My World
Butterflies
Break Of Dawn
Invincible

fuck it I'm done.....Mike=GOAT!

Terry keep this shit going mane.......

Last edited by D.Powell on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 2:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 11:29 am

I'm not stopping because i ran out of people. I'm stopping cause it doesn't get the responses anymore. If enough people wnat to keep going i will, but i doubt anyone aside from you, KJ, and Highsmith will care.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 11:44 am

T. Myers wrote:
I'm not stopping because i ran out of people. I'm stopping cause it doesn't get the responses anymore. If enough people wnat to keep going i will, but i doubt anyone aside from you, KJ, and Highsmith will care.

so what mane....keep it going!
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 11:51 am

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with thread, got lazy to post.

Man in the Mirror (Easily my fav Michael Jackson song...perfection)
Billie Jean
They Don't Care About Us
Remember The Time
Rock With You
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

I will try to keep this to just 5. MJ has too many classics to name. MJ has almost as many classics as Stevie(lol, i had to throw that in there).

Man In The Mirror(i agree with Tran)
Dirty Diana
Beat It
Human Nature
She's Out of My Life
Back to top Go down
Wayne
One in a Million
Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 4:34 pm

Thriller
Billie Jean
Human Nature
Rock With You
I'm Bad
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

PYT
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
Smooth Criminal
The Way You Make Me Feel
Wanna Be Startin' Something
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 5:38 pm

If you don't wanna continue doing the thread Terry, then I will.

I co-sign Powell's comments that MJ has tons of classics and he's without question the GOAT but I'll try to narrow it down because I could honestly drop damn near every track in his catalog.

Billie Jean (My fav MJ song and Top 3 song of all time in any genre IMO)
Human Nature
Off The Wall
Man In The Mirror
PYT (Pretty Young Thing)

*Beat It
*Wanna Be Startin Somethin
*Don't Stop Till You Get Enough
*Remember The Time
*Thriller
*Rock With You
*The Way You Make Me Feel
*Smooth Criminal
*Bad
*Another Part Of Me
*Workin Day and Night
*The Girl Is Mine
*JAM
*Scream
*You Rock My World

Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 7:00 pm

Terry more than KJ, Powell, & Highsmith post on most of these. I have posted in over 90% of them.

This is crazy, let's see

Billy Jean
Beat It
Smooth Criminal
Man In The Mirror
Remember The Time

And most of all the other songs already posted.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 8:21 pm

Kev, i never said they were the only ones who posted. I said they would be the only ones to care if i stopped. If y'all still want me to keep it going, i will.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 8:23 pm

And Kj, MJ is not the unquestioned GOAT. Stevie, Prince, and to a slightly lesser extent Marvin are right there with him. These 4 would be my Mt. Rushmore though.

Last edited by T. Myers on Sat 30 Jul 2011, 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 8:55 pm

Keep it going Myers I look forward to them.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 9:01 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Keep it going Myers I look forward to them.

Agreed, a lot of the artists you've posted I only know or like a couple tracks for or none at all, I participate when I can though.
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeFri 29 Jul 2011, 9:41 pm

Yeah Terry, I agree with what you're saying, but you gotta keep this going.

Billie Jean
Off The Wall
I Can't Help It
The Lady In The Life
PYT

*Human Nature
*Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
*Rock With You
*Working Day & Night
*Thriller
*Beat It
*Remember The Time
*Butterflies
*You Are Not Alone
*Get On The Floor
*She's Out Of My Life
*Dangerous
*In The Closet
*Heaven Can Wait
*Break Of Dawn
*The Way You Make Me Feel
*Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
*Baby Be Mine
*Scream
*This Time Around w/Biggie
*Man In The Mirror
* I Just Can't Stop Loving You
*Dirty Diana
*Another Part Of Me
*Liberian Girl
*The Girl Is Mine
*Say Say Say
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2011, 7:50 am

Alright, I'll keep doing it.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2011, 3:11 pm

T. Myers wrote:
And Kj, MJ is not the unquestioned GOAT. Stevie, Prince, and to a slightly lesser extent Marvin are right there with him. These 4 would be my Mt. Rushmore though.

That's only my opinion. While there are others that I enjoy, MJ is by far my GOAT.

My Mt Rushmore would be Mike, Stevie, Luther, and Marvin.

Female Mt Rushmore would be Aretha, Mariah, Whitney, and MJB (not necessarily in order)
Back to top Go down
Highsmith
Smells Like Roses...
Highsmith

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2011, 5:03 pm

KJ, why is Prince not on your list, homie? I agree with MJ & Stevie, but there is no way Luther & Marvin are over Prince Rogers Nelson.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2011, 5:23 pm

Highsmith wrote:
KJ, why is Prince not on your list, homie? I agree with MJ & Stevie, but there is no way Luther & Marvin are over Prince Rogers Nelson.

I like Prince, but not as much as those guys. He's in my Top 20 though. Luther probably has the best pure vocals of any singer ever, and Marvin's classics speak for themselves.

The only Prince albums I really ever bump are the Purple Rain Soundtrack and 1999, whereas I bump a ton of shit from Luther and Marvin.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSat 30 Jul 2011, 8:53 pm

Since we're on the topic of "Mt.Rushmore's"

My male r&b acts (Mt.Rushmore) would be: Mike, Prince, Stevie, Earth, Wind And Fire

My female r&b acts (Mt.Rushmore) would be: Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige, Sade, Anita Baker

Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 2:16 am

D.Powell wrote:

My male r&b acts (Mt.Rushmore) would be: Mike, Prince, Stevie, Earth, Wind And Fire

My female r&b acts (Mt.Rushmore) would be: Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige, Sade, Anita Baker

If I was doing groups, EWF would definitely be on my Mt Rushmore, as would the Temptations.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 8:25 am

KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

If I was doing groups, EWF would definitely be on my Mt Rushmore, as would the Temptations.

this is about your top r&b acts KJ......groups or solos who cares....it's just about your top acts of all-time

and in regards to Mariah for the females there is no way that chick slides on my top r&b acts on "Mt.Rushmore"....lol

Mariah is a very dope talent but as far as female soul singers there are a bunch that are killing her IMO.....not only the four I already mentioned but let's add Minnie Riperton, Patti Labelle, Gladys Knight, Angela Winbush, Chante Moore, Patrice Rushen, Stephanie Mills, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin

I mean Mariah may have been a better singer than some of those ladies but IN MY OPINION every last one of them mentioned had better albums and made much better songs than Mariah ever could......which puts all of them above her IMO!
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 2:04 pm

D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

this is about your top r&b acts KJ......groups or solos who cares....it's just about your top acts of all-time

and in regards to Mariah for the females there is no way that chick slides on my top r&b acts on "Mt.Rushmore"....lol

Mariah is a very dope talent but as far as female soul singers there are a bunch that are killing her IMO.....not only the four I already mentioned but let's add Minnie Riperton, Patti Labelle, Gladys Knight, Angela Winbush, Chante Moore, Patrice Rushen, Stephanie Mills, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin

I mean Mariah may have been a better singer than some of those ladies but IN MY OPINION every last one of them mentioned had better albums and made much better songs than Mariah ever could......which puts all of them above her IMO!

I'll co-sign your point about EWF, but I strongly disagree with your point about Mariah. She's an amazing singer with tons of hit records that are dope as fuck, moreso than most of the ladies you mentioned. She's the top selling female artist in history for a reason. Not just R&B history, but MUSIC history. That stat may not mean anything to you, but it speaks volumes about her talent.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 7:50 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

I'll co-sign your point about EWF, but I strongly disagree with your point about Mariah. She's an amazing singer with tons of hit records that are dope as fuck, moreso than most of the ladies you mentioned. She's the top selling female artist in history for a reason. Not just R&B history, but MUSIC history. That stat may not mean anything to you, but it speaks volumes about her talent.

Laughing My Ass Off

what do sales have to do with talent KJ??? Has Vanilla Ice or Hammer sold more records than Kool G Rap and O.C.??? does that mean that they are more talented than them?? Get The Fuck Out

Mariah Carey is a talented female performer, but IMO she can't fuck with those ladies man....no fuckin' way...not with the quality of records that they have released.....but again this is all about opinions and IMO Mariah is fluff compared to those ladies...
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Laughing My Ass Off

what do sales have to do with talent KJ??? Has Vanilla Ice or Hammer sold more records than Kool G Rap and O.C.??? does that mean that they are more talented than them?? Get The Fuck Out

Mariah Carey is a talented female performer, but IMO she can't fuck with those ladies man....no fuckin' way...not with the quality of records that they have released.....but again this is all about opinions and IMO Mariah is fluff compared to those ladies...

I think she blows most of those ladies the fuck out. Stephanie Mills? Chante Moore? Patricia Rushen? Please!! Those three put together haven't dropped as many classics as Mariah. I'm not saying Mariah's the GOAT, but she's without question one of the GOAT's. You're severely underestimating her but it's whatever. I knew you'd take my sales argument out of context. Sure, Hammer and Vanilla did sell a lot of records. But did they sell the MOST records? No! Guys like 2Pac and Jay-Z did, and those guys rank high among most people's list of all time greats, and so does Mariah. If she's not on yours then that's fine. But the way I see it, she's easily one of the best that's ever done it, baby bubba!
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 9:46 pm

"Stephanie Mills? Chante Moore? Patricia Rushen? Please!! Those three put together haven't dropped as many classics as Mariah"

Laughing My Ass Off

yo, man you really believe that?? for real?? you really believe that Mariah has more "classics" then those three ladies COMBINED??? yep, it's officially time for an r&b lesson my dude.....thank God that this is all opinion huh???
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 9:49 pm

Hey KJ what is your definition of a "CLASSIC"??

I think that might help to answer some of this....lol

like is Honey for example a classic song to you?? or maybe Heartbreaker is a classic song to you?? how about Say Somethin'??? (just a few examples for you that's all....lol)
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 10:04 pm

D.Powell wrote:
"Stephanie Mills? Chante Moore? Patricia Rushen? Please!! Those three put together haven't dropped as many classics as Mariah"

Laughing My Ass Off

yo, man you really believe that?? for real?? you really believe that Mariah has more "classics" then those three ladies COMBINED??? yep, it's officially time for an r&b lesson my dude.....thank God that this is all opinion huh???

Is fatback greasy??? Yep I do believe that. And don't even come at me like I'm crazy. After all, you think the Blueprint 3 is better than The Blueprint 1. I don't know anybody else on the planet who shares that opinion.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 10:06 pm

My feelings on Jay's efforts has what to do with this discussion?? I NEVER said BP3 was an all-time classic effort, I just said that I liked it better than BP1....that was all I said....lol

Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Hey KJ what is your definition of a "CLASSIC"??

I think that might help to answer some of this....lol

like is Honey for example a classic song to you?? or maybe Heartbreaker is a classic song to you?? how about Say Somethin'??? (just a few examples for you that's all....lol)

Those aren't classics, but I'd say those are at least 4 star tracks.

Here are some Mariah classic songs....

Dreamlover
Hero
Emotions
Make It Happen
One Sweet Day
Can't Let Go
Fantasy (remix)
Always Be My Baby
It's Like That
Vision Of Love
We Belong Together
I Want To Know What Love Is
Forever
I'll Be There
Someday
Breakdown
Open Arms
Underneath The Stars
Melt Away
Anytime You Need A Friend
When You Believe

There's more but I'll stop there.

The thing is Powell, you're coming at me as if you're saying Mariah has no business on a GOAT list, and IMO that's a ridiculous stance given the quality of her material over the past 20 years. Sure, she's made some duds along the way but what artist who's been out for that long hasn't? She's definitely had more ups than downs. Vocally, if you ask any expert about the best pure female vocalists ever. Mariah is on that list easily. She sells records and appeals to people of all types of backgrounds because she's great! Again, I say if she's not on your GOAT list, that's fine. But she's on mine, and I know for a fact that I'm not the only R&B fan who feels that way. That's all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeSun 31 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

Nah I hear you man....I just think that Mariah is overrated by you thats all, but that's my opinion....she is in the top 20 female vocalists of all-time easily....but the top 5 IMO is not where she belongs I don't care how many records she has sold.....that's what I'm saying...and also IMO some of those songs you just listed by her are NOT all-time classics...again in my opinion...

Dreamlover
It's Like That
Melt Away
I Want To Know What Love Is (the original is an all-time classic but not Mariah's version IMO)
Underneath The Stars
Fantasy (remix)-(great song but an all-time classic?? not sure of that but again that's my opinion)
I'll Be There (again Mike's version?? absolutely...Mariah's?? NAH)
Forever

again KJ this is just my opinion on Mariah that's all...I respect her as an artist.....but you overrate her by a bunch to me man...that's all!
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Aug 2011, 8:15 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Nah I hear you man....I just think that Mariah is overrated by you thats all, but that's my opinion....she is in the top 20 female vocalists of all-time easily....but the top 5 IMO is not where she belongs I don't care how many records she has sold.....that's what I'm saying...and also IMO some of those songs you just listed by her are NOT all-time classics...again in my opinion...

Dreamlover
It's Like That
Melt Away
I Want To Know What Love Is (the original is an all-time classic but not Mariah's version IMO)
Underneath The Stars
Fantasy (remix)-(great song but an all-time classic?? not sure of that but again that's my opinion)
I'll Be There (again Mike's version?? absolutely...Mariah's?? NAH)
Forever

again KJ this is just my opinion on Mariah that's all...I respect her as an artist.....but you overrate her by a bunch to me man...that's all!

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but how is Dreamlover not a classic song?? That track still gets frequent radio play to this day! Mister Cee even played it the other day on the old school at noon on Hot 97 for crying out loud!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62   Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 5 Tracks R&B Edition-Day 62
Page 1 of 1