Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

overrated yes or no? #1

Go down 
+2
T. Myers
E. Taylor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

overrated yes or no? #1 Empty
PostSubject: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 6:35 pm

I want to start a new thread on artists that some may think are overrated. First guy up is:

Dr. Dre

As much as this pains me i would say Dre is overrated. Let me explain my logic. Nobody can deny Dre's impact on the game. He's been part of many classic albums such as "The Chronic", "Chronic 2001", "Doggystyle", "No One Can Do It Better", "Living Like Hustlers", "The Documentary", "Get Rich Or Die Tryin", and many more. However, the last 8 or 9 years Dre has really disappointed me.

1. He always promises albums that never see the light of day. I don't think we'll ever see Detox.
2. He starts projects with people that sound really promising and they never get done, for example:
Rakim-was supposed to do an album with Dre but ended up saying Dre was too hard to work with.
Joell Ortiz-Album was going to be put off too long steering Ortiz in another direction.
Ice Cube-Anyone still remember the collab called Helter Skelter that was supposed to drop long ago.
The Game-Had a falling out with Dre and went elsewhere.
Busta Rhymes-Dre did some tracks on "The Big Bang" but now Busta is no longer working with him.
Eve-Did her album ever drop?
Bishop Lamont-Still haven't even heard about an LP for this talented artist.
The Firm-Very Disappointing.

I'm going to stop there. Dre is my favorite producer but his career the last 8 years has definitely fallen off. I hope he cares enough to come back. "Relapse" was a nice start. Now let's see a release date for "Detox".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 6:59 pm

This is a BAD TOPIC IDEA that's only gonna get people heated.

Dre's not overrated in the least, the fact that he has mad classics to his name cements him among the all time greats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 7:04 pm

The Documentary was fire in 2005.

Relapse was fire in 2009.

Those other albums not surfacing are the fault of the "rapper". Dre will NOT release a sub-par product, and they weren't willing to step their studio game up, so...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 7:07 pm

Dre is not overrated. He's pretty well cemented as a top 10 producer. where he places in the top 10 is irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 7:40 pm

Overrated would be an overstatement looking at his overall career, but a case could probably be made for just where he is in the last few years. In recent times, reputation seems much greater than reality, he seems kind of stuck in a rut (relatively speaking).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 7:47 pm

Highly overrated
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeSun 26 Jul 2009, 10:43 pm

He's my 3rd favorite producer, but I gotta agree I do think he's overrated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Jul 2009, 1:07 am

Dre's in my top 5 producers but i can see why people think he can be considered overrated. I think its mainly because a lot of people my age who dont really know rap well automatically think Dre is the best producer ever cuz they grew up hearing 2001 and all through Eminem and 50 Cent's popularity. Its these people who overrate Dre, and the funny thing is most of these have never heard NWA stuff or DOC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: overrated yes or no? #1   overrated yes or no? #1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

overrated yes or no? #1
Page 1 of 1