Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Who has the best discog of all time?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:16 pm

Pac wins over KRS for me discog wise but I can see objectively how KRS wins with others. But Pac has 3 albums that more worldwide hold nearer and dearer imo. I would put money on it that you are more than likely to hear someone bumpin All Eyes On Me before Ghetto Music or Return Of...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:18 pm

Anybody but a PAC HATER would recognize that. I'm not a huge Biggie fan, but am I going to deny his impact on NYC, or the fact that 99% of dudes know his shit more than 99% of rap? No, no I'm not. I can be objective at the same time, something the NYC (well, CT and NJ) dinosaurs cannot be.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:21 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:
and who considers KRS' albums classic? new york magazines and some homos in new jersey and CT? I mean, who cares about KRS besides y'all (devil's advocate)? and no, bunny, we talkin DISCOG, not HIGHEST highs....so releasing 13 straight aight to shitty albums is not = best discog.


Kris more than doubling Pac's classic totals EASILY....he's straight killing Pac again

Pac has two legit classics IMO Me Against The World and Makaveli, The Seven Day Theory...THAT'S IT...fuck that steriod shit he released with the fat man...he's got 2 Steve...THAT'S IT!

Pac is over fuckin rated man...he ain't even close to the best to ever do it...are you kidding me?? he's the most emotional, no doubt about that but the GOAT...get the fuck outta here...not lyrically...not through his beats...is he a legend?? YES...but the GOAT..hell no..the best discography?? no even fuckin close man...I could name more than a few who have better: EPMD, Gangstarr, Run-D.M.C., Scarface, KRS-One, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, I mean all of these cats are beating Pac discography wise and easily too...


Powell, KRS has 3 GOLD albums. No Platinum albums. No Platinum singles. I'm waiting for the "he never sold out baby bubba...NYC NYC NYC LMAO LMAO LMOA GOLDEN AGE" response. But, tell me. Who from then, who was dope, did NOT release a platinum album. Look, look, look...IT WAS KRS! NOBODY feels KRS like a few of you old timers (bunny, KRS sold 8,000 copies, 2pac could shit on your face, which he may have already done, on a mexican street corner and sell that in an hour, 13 years after his death.) You are imagining shit, and trying to make yourself feel better.

Steve is Illmatic considered an all-time classic?? did it sell platinum?? you always talk about sales...why man?? who gives a fuck?? how much did Nations sell man?? PE has a better discography than Pac too by the way...sales don't mean much to ART my dude learn that okay...
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:24 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Pac wins over KRS for me discog wise but I can see objectively how KRS wins with others. But Pac has 3 albums that more worldwide hold nearer and dearer imo. I would put money on it that you are more than likely to hear someone bumpin All Eyes On Me before Ghetto Music or Return Of...

that doesn't mean it is a better album Kev (which it's NOT by the way)...right now people are BUMPING T-Pain right?? nuff said my dude...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:25 pm

I'm not denying Pac's impact, or the fact that he was great. I just don't think he has the best discog, nor do I think he's the GOAT.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:26 pm

D.Powell wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:
and who considers KRS' albums classic? new york magazines and some homos in new jersey and CT? I mean, who cares about KRS besides y'all (devil's advocate)? and no, bunny, we talkin DISCOG, not HIGHEST highs....so releasing 13 straight aight to shitty albums is not = best discog.


Kris more than doubling Pac's classic totals EASILY....he's straight killing Pac again

Pac has two legit classics IMO Me Against The World and Makaveli, The Seven Day Theory...THAT'S IT...fuck that steriod shit he released with the fat man...he's got 2 Steve...THAT'S IT!

Pac is over fuckin rated man...he ain't even close to the best to ever do it...are you kidding me?? he's the most emotional, no doubt about that but the GOAT...get the fuck outta here...not lyrically...not through his beats...is he a legend?? YES...but the GOAT..hell no..the best discography?? no even fuckin close man...I could name more than a few who have better: EPMD, Gangstarr, Run-D.M.C., Scarface, KRS-One, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, I mean all of these cats are beating Pac discography wise and easily too...


LOL, Illmatic is PLATINUM you fucking moron
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:28 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:
and who considers KRS' albums classic? new york magazines and some homos in new jersey and CT? I mean, who cares about KRS besides y'all (devil's advocate)? and no, bunny, we talkin DISCOG, not HIGHEST highs....so releasing 13 straight aight to shitty albums is not = best discog.


Kris more than doubling Pac's classic totals EASILY....he's straight killing Pac again

Pac has two legit classics IMO Me Against The World and Makaveli, The Seven Day Theory...THAT'S IT...fuck that steriod shit he released with the fat man...he's got 2 Steve...THAT'S IT!

Pac is over fuckin rated man...he ain't even close to the best to ever do it...are you kidding me?? he's the most emotional, no doubt about that but the GOAT...get the fuck outta here...not lyrically...not through his beats...is he a legend?? YES...but the GOAT..hell no..the best discography?? no even fuckin close man...I could name more than a few who have better: EPMD, Gangstarr, Run-D.M.C., Scarface, KRS-One, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, I mean all of these cats are beating Pac discography wise and easily too...


LOL, Illmatic is PLATINUM you fucking moron

it didn't sell that in 1994 fuck head...this went Plat over time....and it's better than ANYTHING Pac ever made in his life...IMO
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:31 pm

D.Powell wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:
D.Powell wrote:
2Pac's Ghost wrote:
and who considers KRS' albums classic? new york magazines and some homos in new jersey and CT? I mean, who cares about KRS besides y'all (devil's advocate)? and no, bunny, we talkin DISCOG, not HIGHEST highs....so releasing 13 straight aight to shitty albums is not = best discog.


Kris more than doubling Pac's classic totals EASILY....he's straight killing Pac again

Pac has two legit classics IMO Me Against The World and Makaveli, The Seven Day Theory...THAT'S IT...fuck that steriod shit he released with the fat man...he's got 2 Steve...THAT'S IT!

Pac is over fuckin rated man...he ain't even close to the best to ever do it...are you kidding me?? he's the most emotional, no doubt about that but the GOAT...get the fuck outta here...not lyrically...not through his beats...is he a legend?? YES...but the GOAT..hell no..the best discography?? no even fuckin close man...I could name more than a few who have better: EPMD, Gangstarr, Run-D.M.C., Scarface, KRS-One, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, I mean all of these cats are beating Pac discography wise and easily too...


LOL, Illmatic is PLATINUM you fucking moron

it didn't sell that in 1994 fuck head...this went Plat over time....and it's better than ANYTHING Pac ever made in his life...IMO

Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:31 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illmatic

the PROOF is in the wiki dickhead...read it and learn dumbass!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:34 pm

shit powell, one thing first, ill edit wiki for u right now, read what it says now:


"ILLMATIC IS TRASH IT S**KS WORST ALBUM EVER POWELL K**L YOURSELF KJ F**KS FAT B**CHES!!!! Upon its release, Illmatic exhibited some commercial success, as it debuted on the Billboard 200 chart at number 12 and sold 59,000 copies in its first week of release. However, the album's initial sales fell below expectations and its five singles failed to achieve any significant chart success. In spite of initial low sales, Illmatic received positive reviews from several music critics and publications. On January 17, 1996, the album was certified gold in sales by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), and in 2001, it earned platinum certification after sales in excess of 1 million copies in the United States.
Since its initial critical response, writers and critics have recognized Illmatic as one of the quintessential hip hop recordings of the 1990s. It has also been recognized as a landmark album in East Coast hip hop, as it contributed to the scene's artistic renaissance in New York, while marking an influential, stylistic change in hip hop music at the time. Illmatic has earned high rankings on many publications' "best album" lists, and it has been recognized by critics as one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time. In 2003, the album was ranked number 400 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time."


so suck a dick, bitch
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:39 pm

Anyway, let's get to the root of all this. We are NOT debating quality, now. We are not debating anything not popularity, hip-hop standing, and consensus classic standing. Why did face fail to outsell several pac albums over his whole career (like krs, gang starr, and any nyc rapper)?????? are there more people on the west coast than east? are they richer? (please answer yes to either question, i dare you). No, the answer is, because they did not have consensus classics, they still dont, and they never will
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:42 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Jason wrote:
I think the use of "classic" here is kind of liberal.

I'm not co-signing this bullshit until Jason shows us where it's being used "liberally"?

I mean no one has yet mentioned that Silver Jews had anything remotely close to anything classic, so show me Jase how it's being used "liberally"???

I mean we are talking about classic albums with both KRS-One and 'Face....both of whom have multiple classic records...not seeing the "liberal use" man....

When people are talking about 3 or 4 posthumous Pac albums being classic, and KRS-One having 6-7 classic albums, the word is being used too liberally.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:45 pm

You know who you remind me of Steven? your like the Mad Rapper man, but the fake one




^^^^^^^^^^^^
Steven a.k.a the madd rapper...calm down my dude it ain't that serious!
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:48 pm

Illmatic, Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary are EASILY consensus classics. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fuckin tone deaf.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:49 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
Anyway, let's get to the root of all this. We are NOT debating quality, now. We are not debating anything not popularity, hip-hop standing, and consensus classic standing. Why did face fail to outsell several pac albums over his whole career (like krs, gang starr, and any nyc rapper)?????? are there more people on the west coast than east? are they richer? (please answer yes to either question, i dare you). No, the answer is, because they did not have consensus classics, they still dont, and they never will

Does Souljah Boi have a consensus classic Steven??

How about Nelly?

maybe T-Pain??

how about Jeezy??

how about Gucci Mane??

Lil Bow Wow maybe??


hmmm Nick Cannon??

Hey Steven take your sales figures and shove them far, far right up your ass okay (no homo)...thanks man appreciate it....lol
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:51 pm

no, KJ. CONSENSUS, LOOK IT UP YOU DUMB NEGRO. LOOK IT UP. CONSENSUS MEANS MAJORITY. THERE IS NO QUALITATIVE MEASURE INVOLVED MORON. CONSENSUS MEANS MAJORITY, EVERYONE AGREES, AND 500K OR LOWER SALES MEANS EVERYONE AINT AGREE
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 717
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 47
Location : Maputo, Mozambique

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:54 pm

You know, the more I really think about it, the more it makes sence, KRS probably does have one of the best discogs out there if you discount record sales as your deciding factor.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:55 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
no, KJ. CONSENSUS, LOOK IT UP YOU DUMB NEGRO. LOOK IT UP. CONSENSUS MEANS MAJORITY. THERE IS NO QUALITATIVE MEASURE INVOLVED MORON. CONSENSUS MEANS MAJORITY, EVERYONE AGREES, AND 500K OR LOWER SALES MEANS EVERYONE AINT AGREE

Majority of what?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:55 pm

Go back to Illmatic's Wiki you jackass! You know, the one that you self edited to make yourself feel better.

See all the 5 star ratings???? That means it's a CONSENSUS CLASSIC!!!

Not to mention it's high ratings on GOAT list polls taken by THOUSANDS of people worldwide.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:56 pm

"An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole:"

does hiphop as a whole call it classic. well, we know albums have gone diamond, and only 1 mil bought illmatic over its 15 year existence, and 1/10 aint consensus, so no, it aint consensus.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:57 pm

and KJ, nobody outside of NYC feels that album like you do, NOBODY
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:59 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
"An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole:"

does hiphop as a whole call it classic. well, we know albums have gone diamond, and only 1 mil bought illmatic over its 15 year existence, and 1/10 aint consensus, so no, it aint consensus.

Sales don't mean DICK!!!

Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em went DIAMOND? Is that a consensus classic?

And YES, hip-hop as a whole DOES call it a classic. Everyone except you and Clancey calls it a classic.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 9:59 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
and KJ, nobody outside of NYC feels that album like you do, NOBODY

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 10:00 pm

LMAO!!!
So, hiphop as a whole call it classic, who bought the 10 mil copies of LAD, or AEOM, etc.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 10:02 pm

http://www.facebook.com/MsLioness

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to stop being white on the internet. Please stop fucking whales right now.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 10:03 pm

According to your 10 millions sales theory, Hip-Hop's classics are:

Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em
The Eminem Show

Or maybe we can throw in albums 8 or 9 million people bought, still a majority of that 10 million:

The Marshall Mathers LP
Big Willie Style
Country Grammar

Keep in mind that Biggie and Pac were certified for 9 or 10 million with double albums, so only 4.5 million or 5 million people actually bought them. That's only 4.5/10 for Pac, and 5/10 for Biggie, so no majority. Sorry, no classics for Biggie or Pac.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 10:07 pm

2Pac's Ghost wrote:
LMAO!!!
So, hiphop as a whole call it classic, who bought the 10 mil copies of LAD, or AEOM, etc.??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

So you're saying the only thing that measures a classic is SALES??? That's on some pop-bopper shit!!

So basically you're calling Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em, Ice Ice Baby, Tha Carter 3, Souljahboytellem, Totally Krossed Out, Guerilla Warfare, and wack albums that sold classics.

Seriously man, your logic is more off than Ben Wallace at the free throw line.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 10:31 pm

Anyway......

Jay Z, DJ Quik, and Ghostface have to be in the top 10 for discogs.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Fri 25 Sep 2009, 10:39 pm

Matter of fact fucck it here's imo the top 10 disocgs in hip hop

No order (except the 1st one Smile )
Scarface/Geto boys
Ghostface/Wu Tang
Jay-Z
DJ Quik
The Roots
Nas
Public Enemy
KRS One/BDP
UGK
2Pac
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 8:30 am

First name I thought of is KRS-One. His untouchable discog is one of the reasons he's #1 IMO. I count (at least) 6 consensus classics.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 8:54 am

What 6 consensus classics?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 8:56 am

exactly kev, krs fans think he has 6 classics, so now they're consensus.

i can damn well guarantee there are more jay-z fans than KRS ever had, and they would argue 6 classics as well, does that make them consensus????
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 8:58 am

Yeah I mean we all know KRS has a few classics but let's not go overboard. I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:03 am

KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:04 am

KRob86 wrote:
I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.

Media sells? If you're talking about DJing like you've talked about in the past, obviously BDP/KRS ain't gonna get requested at clubs and parties as much.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:15 am

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:16 am

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.

Media sells? If you're talking about DJing like you've talked about in the past, obviously BDP/KRS ain't gonna get requested at clubs and parties as much.

Lol...naw I sell media ( Wink )
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 36

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:18 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.

Media sells? If you're talking about DJing like you've talked about in the past, obviously BDP/KRS ain't gonna get requested at clubs and parties as much.

Lol...naw I sell media ( Wink )

do you go door to door like you're selling vacuums and encyclopedias?

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:19 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.

Well if you're not a fan, he has no classics, right?

I think they are all objectively classics. That's my take on the word "objective" though.

So how would somebody win this contest if they have to make non-fans of their work feel they put out classic albums?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:21 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.

Media sells? If you're talking about DJing like you've talked about in the past, obviously BDP/KRS ain't gonna get requested at clubs and parties as much.

Lol...naw I sell media ( Wink )

Oh, so now were taking it back to sales, because sales rules all right? Two words for that argument - Lil Wayne.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:25 am

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.

Media sells? If you're talking about DJing like you've talked about in the past, obviously BDP/KRS ain't gonna get requested at clubs and parties as much.

Lol...naw I sell media ( Wink )

Oh, so now were taking it back to sales, because sales rules all right? Two words for that argument - Lil Wayne.

Naw man i give cd's to people and they get all types of music but I have never had no one request KRS. No Terry I do not go dorr to door but come on fellas think but no need to say.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:28 am

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.

Well if you're not a fan, he has no classics, right?

I think they are all objectively classics. That's my take on the word "objective" though.

So how would somebody win this contest if they have to make non-fans of their work feel they put out classic albums?

No there are plenty of albums people hold in high regards for that certain time and space but may not be fans of said artists but a fan of that certain album. For example Blu Below The Heavens is classic to me but I am not a fan of Blu at all.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:37 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
I do media sell and have been for over 20yrs and on the real I have never had one person request a BDP or KRS album...seriously. Pac, Jay, Face, Nas, Common, etc etc yes but no BDP.

Media sells? If you're talking about DJing like you've talked about in the past, obviously BDP/KRS ain't gonna get requested at clubs and parties as much.

Lol...naw I sell media ( Wink )

Oh, so now were taking it back to sales, because sales rules all right? Two words for that argument - Lil Wayne.

Naw man i give cd's to people and they get all types of music but I have never had no one request KRS. No Terry I do not go dorr to door but come on fellas think but no need to say.

I'm not sure I follow. Do you give CDs to people, or sell them?

I mean, BDP & KRS were never the most popular, so it makes sense. However, the title of this thread is "Who Has The Greatest Discog of All Time". Were you slanging CDs 1987-1995? You know I don't base much on popularity though...

KRS gets my vote, but Beastie Boys, Outkast, & The Coup are all pretty close to me personally.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:39 am

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.

Well if you're not a fan, he has no classics, right?

I think they are all objectively classics. That's my take on the word "objective" though.

So how would somebody win this contest if they have to make non-fans of their work feel they put out classic albums?

No there are plenty of albums people hold in high regards for that certain time and space but may not be fans of said artists but a fan of that certain album. For example Blu Below The Heavens is classic to me but I am not a fan of Blu at all.

That's my point though. You have to look at those KRS albums objectively even if you're not a fan. Are they not widely considered classics by people who know hip-hop? Which one's do you feel fall short? Not personally, objectively.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 9:52 am

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.

Well if you're not a fan, he has no classics, right?

I think they are all objectively classics. That's my take on the word "objective" though.

So how would somebody win this contest if they have to make non-fans of their work feel they put out classic albums?

I take a fan to be someone who is an especially in depth listener of an artist, someone who will always check for their albums, and even extra material, as opposed to someone who likes some of their work but probably won't closely follow their career when they're doing stuff that isn't as relevant to the overall community. As such, fans tend to overrate albums compared to the overall dedicated listener of the genre (Hip-Hop head, not general public). I don't think there is a completely objective way to judge classic albums, but I'd say they should of course be of excellent quality, being held in high regard by critics and heads for a number of years after release, represent some artistic milestone (preferably for Hip-Hop as a whole, but it could also be just in the development of an artist in some cases), and provide a good representative sample for understanding a great artist. It would probably be the kind of album a fan of an artist would recommend as a starting point for a non-fan.

For KRS-One, I'd say his classics are Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary, and Return of the Boom Bap. The other three you listed are great, but they don't represent milestones in his career in the same way, and I don't think they're viewed in general in the same way.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 10:17 am

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.

Well if you're not a fan, he has no classics, right?

I think they are all objectively classics. That's my take on the word "objective" though.

So how would somebody win this contest if they have to make non-fans of their work feel they put out classic albums?

No there are plenty of albums people hold in high regards for that certain time and space but may not be fans of said artists but a fan of that certain album. For example Blu Below The Heavens is classic to me but I am not a fan of Blu at all.

That's my point though. You have to look at those KRS albums objectively even if you're not a fan. Are they not widely considered classics by people who know hip-hop? Which one's do you feel fall short? Not personally, objectively.

I don't think they all of those are widely considered classic by people that know hip hop because i'm one. Of course it depends on how a person defines classic I am speaking on timeless albums that still move you currently some say because it is from the golden era and reps a space in time it's classic as in old. So more wiedly consider it classic in those terms but not in overall quality of the albums.

Objectively I can see Criminal Minded and By All Means considered the concensus classics the rest are held high by KRS fans. KRS is one of my fav's but not because of his albums as a whole I always loved his lyrics, delivery, and certain classic singles he has.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 717
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 47
Location : Maputo, Mozambique

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 10:28 am

Jason wrote:

For KRS-One, I'd say his classics are Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary, and Return of the Boom Bap. The other three you listed are great, but they don't represent milestones in his career in the same way, and I don't think they're viewed in general in the same way.

I think you have to at least add Edutainment to that list bro. yOGi420™
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 10:36 am

I love Edutainment, but I don't think it's on the level of By All Means Necessary, and it's really just a continuation of the t'cha concept he established on that album.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 10:53 am

KRS's classics include:

Criminal Minded

By All Means Necessary

Ghetto Music:The Blueprint (yes Jay-Z's titles of his albums were inspired from this 1989 work)

Edutainment

Return Of The Boom Bap

KRS-One


Kris has 6 bonafide classics in his catalog, and works like Sex And Violence are about 4.5 stars easily...but the ones listed above are considered classics...Kev, you've already said many times before that back then you didn't have access to cable tv and didn't necessarily know what was the hottest thing out at the time, so I can tell by what your typing that you missed out on alot of Kris man....it sounds to me that your basically saying that he has about two "consensus" hip-hop classics right?? I guess you missed out on the other four because the cats you grew up with in Chi-town weren't bumping those joints but that doesn't mean they weren't classics right?. I know you and others feel alot of that Geto Boys stuff is classic but when I was coming up in the NYC area the only things being bumped by Rap-A Lot that I remember was "Mind Playin Tricks On Me" and Mr.Scarface Is Back (his entire debut), that was about it...but those Geto Boys albums are considered classics right?? So I guess if you included those Geto Boys classics in with 'Face's solos then he would be about the only one who could see Kris with his 6 classics because on the solo tip I have 'Face with 3 by himself....
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   Sat 26 Sep 2009, 12:18 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
What 6 consensus classics?

I thought all KRS fans considered these 5 star album...

Criminal Minded
By All Means Necessary
Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip Hop
Edutainment
Return of the Boom Bap
KRS-One

Oh you meant amongst fans well I can't debate that one. I always thought when most say consenus that means even if you are not a "fan" of said artist that album is widely considered a classic.

Well if you're not a fan, he has no classics, right?

I think they are all objectively classics. That's my take on the word "objective" though.

So how would somebody win this contest if they have to make non-fans of their work feel they put out classic albums?

No there are plenty of albums people hold in high regards for that certain time and space but may not be fans of said artists but a fan of that certain album. For example Blu Below The Heavens is classic to me but I am not a fan of Blu at all.

That's my point though. You have to look at those KRS albums objectively even if you're not a fan. Are they not widely considered classics by people who know hip-hop? Which one's do you feel fall short? Not personally, objectively.

I don't think they all of those are widely considered classic by people that know hip hop because i'm one. Of course it depends on how a person defines classic I am speaking on timeless albums that still move you currently some say because it is from the golden era and reps a space in time it's classic as in old. So more wiedly consider it classic in those terms but not in overall quality of the albums.

Objectively I can see Criminal Minded and By All Means considered the concensus classics the rest are held high by KRS fans. KRS is one of my fav's but not because of his albums as a whole I always loved his lyrics, delivery, and certain classic singles he has.

Well Kev that's your opinion but it goes both ways.

For Scarface, the only classics he has solo IMO are Face Is Back. The Diary, and The Fix. With the GB's I give classic status to Grip It and We Can't Be Stopped.

Face is an all time fav to me because of his deep subject matter, but KRS ranks higher because he's the gold standard when it comes to spittin knowledge on the mic.

Pounds is correct. I feel all of the KRS albums he mentioned are classic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Who has the best discog of all time?   

Back to top Go down
 
Who has the best discog of all time?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» First time On CD Black Bach - Lamont Dozier '74
» Slow time musically......
» For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage
» First Time Out on DVD: Miles Davis Live 1973 Stockholm
» Long Time Classics Vol. 1 by Pow Pow Movements (45 Studio 1 & Treasure Isle Classics!)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Classic Threads and Discussions-
Jump to: