Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?

Go down 
+10
Norfeest
Z-membu
Funk Seoul Brother
ACRID"
Jason
Laced With Slang
D.Powell
TheHazardous
E. Taylor
T. Myers
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:29 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:
Cold Chillin' had a dope.. but extremely short and mismanaged run... they being out of print for so long can only add to the frustration IMO...

I actually agree with you on something. Cold Chillin was awesome and released many classics but they folded way too early to be considered the absolute best. They'd make my Top 10 easily though, possibly even Top 5.

Biggie folded way too early, but he's your GOAT MC. Why the double standard?

I've explained thousands of times why Biggie's my GOAT MC and I'm not in the mood to explain again. But I will say that I'm not the only person that considers Biggie the GOAT, and he's on lots of people's GOAT lists. Just as Cold Chillin is probably considered number one by some (albeit not on this forum) and is on many people's GOAT lists including mine.

I'm not asking why biggie's on your list. I'm asking why you have a double standard. You said Cold Chillin folded way too early to be considered the best, but you have no problem considering Biggie the best with such limited work. Why? This is the second time i have caught you being a hypocrite today. tsk, tsk! This is becoming a trend baby bubba.

I'm not a fucking hypocrite. I wouldn't have a problem with someone else saying that they think Cold Chillin is number one, it's just not number one IMO. Plain and simple.

They don't have to be #1 on your list, but why cite their lack of time when it isn't an issue with Biggie? If it is not an issue for Biggie, why is it an issue for Cold Chillin?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:31 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:
Cold Chillin' had a dope.. but extremely short and mismanaged run... they being out of print for so long can only add to the frustration IMO...

I actually agree with you on something. Cold Chillin was awesome and released many classics but they folded way too early to be considered the absolute best. They'd make my Top 10 easily though, possibly even Top 5.

Biggie folded way too early, but he's your GOAT MC. Why the double standard?

I've explained thousands of times why Biggie's my GOAT MC and I'm not in the mood to explain again. But I will say that I'm not the only person that considers Biggie the GOAT (maybe in this forum I am, but not nationwide as The Source and XXL have called him the GOAT as have many fans), and he's on lots of people's GOAT lists. Just as Cold Chillin is probably considered number one by some (albeit not on this forum) and is on many people's GOAT lists including mine.

We are only talking about you here KJ. Why does Cold Chillin not have enough material to be considered the best, but Biggie does. it's a simple answer. Quit deflecting and answer the question.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:33 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Terry KJ's not showing a double standard by saying he luv's Biggie but faults CC for folding early. Big had IMPACT, i'm talking major IMPACT. That is the difference.

Bullshit and only a fucking moron would think otherwise
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:36 pm

Cold Chillin had more classic albums.. more GOAT emcees... more GOAT producers than biggie ever did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:37 pm

Biggie did not fold, he died. There is a difference between going out of business and passing away. Cold Chillin had control over their fate, Biggie did not.

I've explained to you why I feel Biggie is my GOAT hundreds of times, and each time it went in one ear and out the other. This time won't be any different, so I'm not gonna do it again. Besides, unless you feel Cold Chillin is number one (which you don't) then you really have no debate. You're just bringing up Biggie to spite me.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:40 pm

indeed SRP. Also likes to cite Biggie as an influence for Jay-z like it's a big deal, but then he casually mentions that BDK was on Biggie, and then it disappears like a fart in the wind. Biggie did not have more impact than Cold Chillin. That's fucking laughable. And sales don't mean shit cause there are plenty of artists who have sold more than Scarface, but he's still the GOAT, right. You guys need to get the fuck outta here. KJ's just mad cause i exposed his ass and pulled his skirt up. Get over yourself. you lose bitch. checkmate. Game over.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:41 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Biggie did not fold, he died. There is a difference between going out of business and passing away. Cold Chillin had control over their fate, Biggie did not.

I've explained to you why I feel Biggie is my GOAT hundreds of times, and each time it went in one ear and out the other. This time won't be any different, so I'm not gonna do it again. Besides, unless you feel Cold Chillin is number one (which you don't) then you really have no debate. You're just bringing up Biggie to spite me.

What fuckin difference does it matter that Biggie died? The sentiment is still the same. Why do you have double standards? Why motherfucker? Why? answer the god damn question.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:55 pm

T. Myers wrote:
indeed SRP. Also likes to cite Biggie as an influence for Jay-z like it's a big deal, but then he casually mentions that BDK was on Biggie, and then it disappears like a fart in the wind. Biggie did not have more impact than Cold Chillin. That's fucking laughable. And sales don't mean shit cause there are plenty of artists who have sold more than Scarface, but he's still the GOAT, right. You guys need to get the fuck outta here. KJ's just mad cause i exposed his ass and pulled his skirt up. Get over yourself. you lose bitch. checkmate. Game over.

You two are some straight up homos!!! Why are we comparing a record label to ONE RAPPER anyway??

Sure, if you combine the collected efforts of Cold Chillin Records by all the MC's in it, then yes they had more impact. But no single rapper on CC had more impact than Biggie, nor did CC have more impact than Bad Boy.

Say what you want about Bad Boy, but they are STILL around today whereas CC is not. That's because Diddy is a smart businessman whereas the guys running CC weren't.

Whether or not you assclowns want to believe it or not. Biggie was responsible for bringing the spotlight of hip-hop BACK to the East Coast when it was dominated by the West at the time. While Nas and Wu-Tang had something to do with that as well, when Biggie hit the scene, it became official that hip-hop was once again controlled by the East.

You two fools are too young to realize that because y'all were like 11 years old at the time and probably just starting to follow hip-hop. Whereas guys like myself, Kev, and Powell remember that time period CLEARLY. So go douche your vagina and shut the fuck up!
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 7:59 pm

you still haven't answered my question. Until you do go fuck yourself. Get out of here with your clown ass. Your goofy ass has been in more whales than Geppetto.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:05 pm

please show me how bad boy had more impact that cold chillin.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:07 pm

Terry you didn't expose shit...Nobody talks about no fucking cold chillin records except nerds on nerdy hip hop fourms full of hip hop nerds like us. We are supposed to know this shit but you measure impact even more when causal listeners or non fans know of or have something about this person. Biggie had the bigga impact on the industry than CC, come on fellas. Nobody gave a fuck Kane was on Cold Chillin, I mean seriously. If anything Kane impacted Cold Chillin right?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:12 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Terry you didn't expose shit...Nobody talks about no fucking cold chillin records except nerds on nerdy hip hop fourms full of hip hop nerds like us. We are supposed to know this shit but you measure impact even more when causal listeners or non fans know of or have something about this person. Biggie had the bigga impact on the industry than CC, come on fellas. Nobody gave a fuck Kane was on Cold Chillin, I mean seriously. If anything Kane impacted Cold Chillin right?

Bullshit again. Kool G Rap, Marley Marl, and BDK's impact is still being felt today as well as Biggie. Don't give me that shit about no one cares. No one cares about KRS and Rakim in the grand scheme og things. Just hop hop heads right. You trying to compare Biggie's success to Cold Chillin is flawed cause Biggie was active during a much more profitable time period. Biggie made an impact cause he was in the right place at the right time more than it had to do with skill(i'm not saying skill wasn't involved.) However he was no more talented that a half dozen other mc's. He was just given the proper forum and the fued with Pac.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:13 pm

T. Myers wrote:
you still haven't answered my question. Until you do go fuck yourself. Get out of here with your clown ass. Your goofy ass has been in more whales than Geppetto.

Dude, you're not funny. You're just a hypocritical jackass.

You claim that KRS is your GOAT, Pedro bashes him yet you don't come after him for that. Yet you come after me for saying for saying that Bad Boy and Biggie had more impact than Cold Chillin and Kane.

I did answer your question. You're just too stupid to recognize that. You and Pedro are like Doink and Dink, a couple of fuckin clowns.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:18 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

You claim that KRS is your GOAT, Pedro bashes him yet you don't come after him for that. Yet you come after me for saying for saying that Bad Boy and Biggie had more impact than Cold Chillin and Kane.

I did answer your question. You're just too stupid to recognize that. You and Pedro are like Doink and Dink, a couple of fuckin clowns.

I didn't come after SRP because i respect his opinion even though i disagree with him. the opinions of others have no bearing on my preference and favorites so i don't always feel the need to defend them. Now on to this topic. If i'm reading your statement correct, you're comfortable voting Biggie #1 with only 2(3 albums really since LAD is 2 discs) albums, but Cold Chillin didn't do enough to warrant the #1 spot. and your reasoning is that Biggie had more of an impact than Cold Chillin to justify his place at #1?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:19 pm

Wild Pitch has an extremely strong (but short) run...RAL is probably the correct pick here though. Legendary Music is the only label I never find myself disappointed by. So that gets my pick on a personal level I guess.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:25 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Terry you didn't expose shit...Nobody talks about no fucking cold chillin records except nerds on nerdy hip hop fourms full of hip hop nerds like us

You mean people who actually know what they're talking about?

I change my vote to Cold Chillin' after checking out the list again on wiki. I count like 7 personal classics in that short span of time and I listen to those artists more than my favorite RAL artists.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:28 pm

Gotta agree with Terry. I don't see how Cold Chillin' isn't more impactful than Bad Boy/Biggie. Juice Crew? Ace? BDK? Kool G Rap? Biz Markie? MC Shan? If you're talking impact I don't see how Biggie wins here...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:32 pm

Cold Chillin may be more important to the reason certain greats got their deal or important to the the culture period but if CC did not exist i'm sure they would have signed with someone else. Biggie is one of a kind, labels come and go.

Plus like KJ already stated CC folded Big died, nice try.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:33 pm

Ya'll forgetting about Duck Down. The label that brought us the Boot Camp Click and a shit load of bangin' albums the later part of the decade.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:34 pm

How does Biggie dying have any importance to this convo. why does it matter why he doesn't have a lot of material. it's still the same situation
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:35 pm

No it is not Terry, are you just in a bad mood? CC folded because of its on doing Big could not control his fate.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:36 pm

KRob86 wrote:
No it is not Terry, are you just in a bad mood? CC folded because of its on doing Big could not control his fate.

How does that chage the fact that Cold Chillin and Biggie didn't have enough material? How they arrived at their destination is irrelevant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:44 pm

I don't really care about death or bankruptcy... does it matter? no... a lot of my goats have died...

I won't fault Cold Chillin for their short run... I definitely think a top ten or top 5 ranking for them would not be unreasonable...or even top ...

that's the point... you have to be even and consistent with things to maintain any credibility...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:53 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I didn't come after SRP because i respect his opinion even though i disagree with him. the opinions of others have no bearing on my preference and favorites so i don't always feel the need to defend them. Now on to this topic. If i'm reading your statement correct, you're comfortable voting Biggie #1 with only 2(3 albums really since LAD is 2 discs) albums, but Cold Chillin didn't do enough to warrant the #1 spot. and your reasoning is that Biggie had more of an impact than Cold Chillin to justify his place at #1?

As I said before. I don't have a problem with anyone else thinking that Cold Chillin is number one, but they're not number one on MY LIST!!! What part of that don't you understand???? I have a lot of respect for Cold Chillin and what they've accomplished. I just feel that Bad Boy has accomplished more. Whether you're a fan of Biggie, Diddy, or anybody else who was on Bad Boy during it's prime, one cannot deny it's impact on the rap game. If you're on Bad Boy, that alone is gonna get you publicity. In addition to Biggie, Craig Mack, The Lox, Mase, Black Rob, and Shyne among others all sold like hotcakes when they were on Bad Boy. Being on Bad Boy meant that you were an instant star in the rap game.

So you respect SRP's low opinion of your GOAT, but you don't respect mine about Biggie being the GOAT? That's some BULLSHIT!

The real number one to me is Def Jam, but since you asked to name someone other than Def Jam, I named Jive, and you gave me shit for that. Then I mentioned Bad Boy, and you gave me shit for that.

I've explained to you why Biggie is my GOAT several times, and there is no need to have it again because neither of us is gonna change how we feel.

Basically, this is a case of you not respecting my opinion. And if you're not gonna respect my opinions then don't expect me to respect yours either.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:56 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Cold Chillin may be more important to the reason certain greats got their deal or important to the the culture period but if CC did not exist i'm sure they would have signed with someone else. Biggie is one of a kind, labels come and go.

That goes for every label

I mean, to me, the importance to the culture is everything. Those artists I listed are just as much "one-of-a-kind" artists as Biggie. And then some on a couple. You measure impact strangely man. The Juice Crew was way more important to hip-hop than Biggie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:57 pm

I don't think juice crew + wack producer or marley marl + wack emcees would have made anywhere near as big an impact as they did together.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 8:59 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
I don't think juice crew + wack producer or marley marl + wack emcees would have made anywhere near as big an impact as they did together.

I agree...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:04 pm

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

I mean, to me, the importance to the culture is everything. Those artists I listed are just as much "one-of-a-kind" artists as Biggie. And then some on a couple. You measure impact strangely man. The Juice Crew was way more important to hip-hop than Biggie.

You're just saying that because you LIKE the Juice Crew more than Biggie. But the fact remains that Biggie has outsold them all and was considered the best MC in the game at the time he was alive.

While Kane and G Rap were excellent in their primes. Neither of them were considered better than Rakim or KRS in their primes. Whereas Biggie was the undisputed King Of NY in his prime.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:07 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

You're just saying that because you LIKE the Juice Crew more than Biggie. But the fact remains that Biggie has outsold them all and was considered the best MC in the game at the time he was alive.

While Kane and G Rap were excellent in their primes. Neither of them were considered better than Rakim or KRS in their primes. Whereas Biggie was the undisputed King Of NY in his prime.

No, I'm saying it because the Juice Crew has impacted hip-hop a lot more.

N'Sync has sold more than Biggie...big deal.

Not sure I can even entertain your last paragraph with a response.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:08 pm

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Alan come man keep up. I know you know I know that those artist and producers were one of a kind also I am just talking about Cold Chillin. These same artist would have been great if they were on thisdick records or some shit.

I really do not like comparing the two but the question was asked why Cold Chillin does not get a pass for being short lived but Big does and the answer is simple. Big had more impact on peoples minds and souls then Cold Chillin did. Now if that does not help some understand this debate is pointless.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:12 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Alan come man keep up. I know you know I know that those artist and producers were one of a kind also I am just talking about Cold Chillin. These same artist would have been great if they were on thisdick records or some shit.

I really do not like comparing the two but the question was asked why Cold Chillin does not get a pass for being short lived but Big does and the answer is simple. Big had more impact on peoples minds and souls then Cold Chillin did. Now if that does not help some understand this debate is pointless.

I guess so. I'm not seeing that at all.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:19 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

Wait, you said in another thread that sales don't matter. This is the third time you have contradicted yourself today. Also, i respect the fact that Biggie is your #1. I also respect the fact that Cold Chillin is not your #1, What i don't respect is the fact that the reason they can't be your # 1 directly applies to Bigge as well. if you can't understand that, there is no point in debating.

To Kev, there is no way Biggie had more of an impact than Cold Chillin. Your favorite producers owe their respect to Marley Marl. Your favorite rappers(including Biggie) owe their respect to BDK, Masta Ace, and Kool G Rap. Not to mention Tragedy. Even though he wasn't signed to Cold Chillin, he was a huge part of that family. Biggie was involved in a perfect storm that led to his ascension. quit pretending like Biggie put New York on his back and single handedly brought NY back to prominence. Biggie was just a piece to the puzzle.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:23 pm

Alan wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:

I agree...

I'll co-sign that too.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Dec 2009, 9:24 pm

T. Myers wrote:
To Kev, there is no way Biggie had more of an impact than Cold Chillin. Your favorite producers owe their respect to Marley Marl. Your favorite rappers(including Biggie) owe their respect to BDK, Masta Ace, and Kool G Rap. Not to mention Tragedy. Even though he wasn't signed to Cold Chillin, he was a huge part of that family. Biggie was involved in a perfect storm that led to his ascension. quit pretending like Biggie put New York on his back and single handedly brought NY back to prominence. Biggie was just a piece to the puzzle.

Cosign...all that shit.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 1:18 am

Large Professor, Pete Rock, and DJ Premier all site Marley Marl as the guy that got them into production...

The Juice Crew were involved in the first major hip hop beef (The Bridge Wars) and battle (The Roxanne Wars)

Kool G. Rap's flow alone is more influential than Biggie....hell, just check the "Legacy" section of his wikipedia page...

Biz Markie, Roxanne Shante, Marley Marl, Craig G, Tragedy Khadafi/Intelligent Hoodlum, Big Daddy Kane, Masta Ace, DJ Polo...The Juice Crew were raps first super crew.

There's no way Biggie has more impact or influence. Sales mean dick when speaking on impact. Just ask any of the southern greats. According to the sales theory, UGK had no impact on anyone until 2007 and Vanilla Ice & MC Hammer were the most influential rappers ever before Tupac and Eminem came along.

Oh, and Big Daddy Kane's DJ is the guy that put Biggie on lol

Anyone that thinks Cold Chillin' isn't more influential (which is not synonymous with popular, by the way) than Biggie is suffering a memory lapse or hasn't been listening for quite a while...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 1:28 am

Wow, KJ, I used to think you were just an east coast dick rider, but now I just think you're a brainless pop bopper. Congrats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 1:41 am

Cold Chillin was a label okay, follow me now for some that are really having a hardtime grasping this. I am not and will not for the 3rd or 4th fucking time question the impact of G Rap, Kane, Etc etc. But they were bigger individual reasons why they were successfull and legends. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH COLD CHILLIN LIKE THAT.. I know the eras was different but Cold Chillin does not even match up with Deathrow, Suave House, and RAL, I hear more people fart out Loud records than Cold Chillin.

Will Hip Hop Honors, BET Awards, MTv Awards, SOurce Awards, XXl Awards, Murder Dog awards, Grammys, Underground.com awards or whatever mention Cold Chillin with just the few I named above?...lol. Get the fuck outta here.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 1:57 am

Kev...did you somehow miss that this thread is about labels?

Cold Chillin' as a label (yes, label) had more impact on the culture than anything Biggie did because they were the people helping these artists put their work on shelves. The influence of those releases is directly related to Cold Chillin' pressing up and distributing product at high volumes. That "product" was directly responsible for Large Professor, Pete Rock, and DJ Premier picking up recording equipment. I have footage of Premo stopping an interview to shout out Marley and tell people how Marley impacted his life. That wasn't from Premo holding conversation with Marley's lawyer while eating cocoa biscotti. That came from hearing Marley's work. Work...that...Cold...Chillin'...put...out...

Who's having the "hardtime" here?

Suave House and Cold Chillin' don't even belong in the same sentence. Cold Chillin's influence was more than regional. How many Cold Chillin' artists have been honored by Hip Hop Honors? Now, how many Suave House artists have been mentioned? Holla at me when they honor Tela. lol

C'mon son!!! Getthefuckouttaherewiththatbullshit, son... lmao

How's that Biggie flavored Kool Aid?
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 3:39 am

this has been a pretty good thread, kudos to all participants
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 9:28 am

Kopasetick wrote:
Kev...did you somehow miss that this thread is about labels?

Cold Chillin' as a label (yes, label) had more impact on the culture than anything Biggie did because they were the people helping these artists put their work on shelves. The influence of those releases is directly related to Cold Chillin' pressing up and distributing product at high volumes. That "product" was directly responsible for Large Professor, Pete Rock, and DJ Premier picking up recording equipment. I have footage of Premo stopping an interview to shout out Marley and tell people how Marley impacted his life. That wasn't from Premo holding conversation with Marley's lawyer while eating cocoa biscotti. That came from hearing Marley's work. Work...that...Cold...Chillin'...put...out...

Who's having the "hardtime" here?

Suave House and Cold Chillin' don't even belong in the same sentence. Cold Chillin's influence was more than regional. How many Cold Chillin' artists have been honored by Hip Hop Honors? Now, how many Suave House artists have been mentioned? Holla at me when they honor Tela. lol

C'mon son!!! Getthefuckouttaherewiththatbullshit, son... lmao

How's that Biggie flavored Kool Aid?

LOL...mofo!

Anyway, Nor you are a bright dude ask yourself why more Cold chillin artists have and will be nominated before someone from Suave? Do we really did to go there?

You just said Premier hollered out Marley Marl, not Cold Chillin right? So that was useless. that statement goes right along with the arguement I was making. The artist were bigger than the label right? I don't remember any of them yellin out Cold Chillin all through their own damn albums yet alone outside artist and consumers.

I understand this thread was about labels and you know that so don't try to twist my statements like i'm confused or some ish. Terry asked KJ a question dealing with said subject and I joined in. Thats it.

Last edited by KRob86 on Thu 31 Dec 2009, 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 10:29 am

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

You two fools are too young to realize that because y'all were like 11 years old at the time and probably just starting to follow hip-hop. Whereas guys like myself, Kev, and Powell remember that time period CLEARLY. So go douche your vagina and shut the fuck up!

Ok, we have 2 problems with this statement. 1st, you neglected to mention Norf and he is the same age as y'all. He happens to disagree with you. 2nd, you are only 5 years older than i am, and Cold Chillin's dominance was at least 5-6 years before Ready To Die dropped. By your logic, you were too young to remember that time period CLEARLY. If SRP and I are not old enough to speak on Biggie, you're not old enough to speak on the Juice Crew/Cold Chillin. I'm not saying you're not qualified. just sayin. Also today is a new day and a fresh slate. One thing i've never done is hold a grudge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 12:23 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Wow, KJ, I used to think you were just an east coast dick rider, but now I just think you're a brainless pop bopper. Congrats.

I used to think you were just a misguided fool with shitty rap taste. Now I've realized that you're mentally retarded and you can't help the fact that you're that fuckin stupid. My bad!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Dec 2009, 7:57 pm

Cosign Norf.

I don't even see your point, Kev...but it's cool. I won't make you recap. I just don't understand that whole "Juice Crew and the artists within were big, not Cold Chillin'" line. Doesn't it work the same for Biggie/Bad Boy? I knew Cold Chillin' Records far before Bad Boy Records. Bad Boy has released mostly trash anyway. Bad Boy sucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?   What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is the best hip hop record label of all time not named Def Jam?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2