Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Rakim verse

Go down 
+2
Shaun
Funk Seoul Brother
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Favorite Rakim verse Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 4:23 pm

He's got tons of great verses, but for me it's Microphone Fiend. That whole track was fucking masterful.

What's yours?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 5:05 pm

the first verse from Guess Who's Back... he coulda kept that gay ass video to himself though... a gay horseman playing with a pair of balls in his hands? smh...
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:07 pm

Probably Casualties Of War. That song has become my anthem...sort of..not really...sad face

Quote :
Go to the Army, be all you can be
Another dead soldier? Hell no, not me
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:10 pm

I can't decide on a favorite right now, so I'll go with his verse on The Militia II
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 9:22 pm

Lyrics of Fury
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:02 pm

I Ain't No Joke

...and make sure it's broke
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:21 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
the first verse from Guess Who's Back... he coulda kept that gay ass video to himself though... a gay horseman playing with a pair of balls in his hands? smh...

:finger:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:22 pm

His 1st verse on Know the Ledge and his verse on Paid In Full. Classics!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:35 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:

:finger:

You can't deny the first 2 minutes of this shit is fucking super homo:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:40 pm

Actually when I just watched it again now... the whole thing is like a 1000X more super homo than I remembered it... the fucking horse man flicks his tongue at rakim at one point...add to that it looks like a high school play... smh.. almost ruined the dopest rakim song with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010, 11:55 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
Actually when I just watched it again now... the whole thing is like a 1000X more super homo than I remembered it... the fucking horse man flicks his tongue at rakim at one point...add to that it looks like a high school play... smh.. almost ruined the dopest rakim song with it.

For one thing, that's not even close to his best song or verses.

Secondly, who cares about a fuckin video? The point is to tell people what the best Rakim verse is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 12:23 am

I told people what my FAVORITE Rakim verse is... and then commented on the gay ass video... why do you get your panties all in a bunch over it? And then say it's not his BEST? Who gives a fuck, you asked for FAVORITES... Rakim kills that first verse and the entire album it is contained on and the production is crazy on it as well. I think new cats would be better served bumping 18th Letter before any of his early work.
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 1:06 am

That video is supergay! the fucks with that horse man?
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 8:38 am

Def a bizarre vid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 11:55 am

Saint Killa wrote:
I told people what my FAVORITE Rakim verse is... and then commented on the gay ass video... why do you get your panties all in a bunch over it? And then say it's not his BEST? Who gives a fuck, you asked for FAVORITES... Rakim kills that first verse and the entire album it is contained on and the production is crazy on it as well. I think new cats would be better served bumping 18th Letter before any of his early work.

I don't disagree with the fact that it's a dope verse, and song for that matter. I just didn't like how you did a 180 when you commented on the video.

As for new (younger) cats, I'd probably recommend Don't Sweat The Technique to them first. Everyone loves Know The Ledge and the title track so I'm sure they'd dig that album. But for older cats who never heard a Rakim album front to back, I'd still recommend Paid In Full. The 18th Letter is dope, but his first four have more replay value IMO.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 12:45 pm

TheHazardous wrote:
I Ain't No Joke

...and make sure it's broke

Yeah. The first verse of I Ain't No Joke stands out to me the most.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 1:48 pm

Yeah KJ is right. I think my contemporaries would def like DSTT a lot. DSTT, Know The Ledge, Keep The Beat, Casualties Of War...track after classic track
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010, 11:41 pm

The video was an allusion to Biblical temptations of the Devil crossed with a Bacchanalia.

The "Horsemen" was the Devil/satyr both portrayed as horned Gods. Dionysus/Bacchus was the God of revelry. When Christianity took over the Dionysian cults were vilified and said to worship the Devil. The Cultists participated in ceremonies deemed offensive to the Christians such as wild orgies and drunken parties.

And ever since then the Devil has portrayed as a Horned being when it's really just a misinterpretation/misrepresentation of Dionysus the Horned God of the wild.

Rakim brings the light and destroys these temptations. I hope everyone gets it a little better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 12:15 am

TheHazardous wrote:
The video was an allusion to Biblical temptations of the Devil crossed with a Bacchanalia.

The "Horsemen" was the Devil/satyr both portrayed as horned Gods. Dionysus/Bacchus was the God of revelry. When Christianity took over the Dionysian cults were vilified and said to worship the Devil. The Cultists participated in ceremonies deemed offensive to the Christians such as wild orgies and drunken parties.

And ever since then the Devil has portrayed as a Horned being when it's really just a misinterpretation/misrepresentation of Dionysus the Horned God of the wild.

Rakim brings the light and destroys these temptations. I hope everyone gets it a little better.

I figured that there was a deeper meaning to it, thanks for breakin it down and explaining it Hazardous.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 1:20 am

It's still a top 5 GOAT gay video...
Back to top Go down
Z-membu
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Z-membu

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 2:27 am

I always thought the cover of The 18th Letter was a little on the gay side.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010, 10:14 am

The video is pretty much what happens when you have an interesting concept with a low budget. Champagne taste and beer money you know?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Rakim verse   Favorite Rakim verse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Rakim verse
Page 1 of 1