Hip-Hop 4 Life
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Why do White people listen to hip hop?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:42 pm

And also, white people have souls. Just sayin.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:42 pm

Like i said if a white person said they do not like the beats, flow, voices, and/or hooks or some shit I may take that into consideration. But if they are not specific and just say they do like said album or rate it low I will take that with a grain of salt.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:44 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Like i said if a white person said they do not like the beats, flow, voices, and/or hooks or some shit I may take that into consideration. But if they are not specific and just say they do like said album or rate it low I will take that with a grain of salt.

OK, that's all i was saying.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:45 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Hmmm. That's reasonable I guess. But by the logic, I gave Untitled a chance and now I don't like it. How do you explain that?

Well you're a Nas hater so I immediately dismiss anything you have to say about him. Same goes for SRP and Cory.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:47 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
Hmmm. That's reasonable I guess. But by the logic, I gave Untitled a chance and now I don't like it. How do you explain that?

Well you're a Nas hater so I immediately dismiss anything you have to say about him. Same goes for SRP and Cory.

I'm not a fucking turtle and don't you ever forget that
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:47 pm

Well you're a new music hater so your opinion on everything post 1995 is invalid.

Is that a fair argument? I own every Nas album. Just admit you were wrong and move on.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:47 pm

KJ, that post is exactly what KRob was talking about (just about a different topic) with the white people listening to albums intended for non-white people.

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:49 pm

I know Slug's race. But it won't matter 25 years from now when a child born in 2010 *looks* at his album cover with no clue whatsoever about his background. Thanks anyway...

And assimilation is totally possible. Folks are trying their damnedest as we type...


Last edited by Kopasetick on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:53 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:
Southpark and Family Guy at their best were much better shows than the Boondocks.

South Park at it's best was on par with the Boondocks.

While I like Family Guy, the Boondocks has always been better IMO.

No, Southpark is much better than Boondocks in its brighter moments, and if you can't admit that you are a black reverse racist blinded by your hate of the turtles.

First of all I'm not a fucking racist, I hate everyone equally regardless of color.

Secondly, you just admitted below that you don't watch the Boondocks like that, so how can you say with your limited watching experience that it's so much better?

I own the first season on DVD and will be getting the second soon.. your move Granddragon Styles

It's one thing if you like SP better, but it's another to say that I'm a racist because I like the Boondocks better.

For the record, I'm a fan of both shows. I watched the first 7 or so seasons of SP every week religiously, and I still watch occasionally now. The Boondocks has only had 2 seasons thus far (I can't wait fot the 3rd one). In my opinion early South Park is on par with the Boondocks, but right now the Boondocks is clearly the better show IMO.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:56 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Well you're a new music hater so your opinion on everything post 1995 is invalid.

Is that a fair argument? I own every Nas album. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

Well you're hating on Nas every other time he's mentioned in this forum. And how am I a new music hater when I bump cats like Little Brother, Lupe, Luda, Jurassic 5, TI, Jadakiss, One Be Lo, etc?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:56 pm

mid south park blows boondocks out of the water IMO. The comic strip is 1000X better than the show.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 2:59 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
Hmmm. That's reasonable I guess. But by the logic, I gave Untitled a chance and now I don't like it. How do you explain that?

Well you're a Nas hater so I immediately dismiss anything you have to say about him. Same goes for SRP and Cory.

I'm not a fucking turtle and don't you ever forget that

Nope, you ain't got shit on MichaelAngelo, he's my favorite Turtle Big Grin
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:01 pm

Besides G.W. Bush

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
avatar

Posts : 10879
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 35

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:02 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Saint Killa wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
N3R0 wrote:
Hmmm. That's reasonable I guess. But by the logic, I gave Untitled a chance and now I don't like it. How do you explain that?

Well you're a Nas hater so I immediately dismiss anything you have to say about him. Same goes for SRP and Cory.

I'm not a fucking turtle and don't you ever forget that

Nope, you ain't got shit on MichaelAngelo, he's my favorite Turtle Big Grin

Huh, i would have assumed a cool, calm, and collected fella such as yourself would prefer Raphael.

_________________
Haterex: Drunk driving is an american pastime for me, and it's an activity I hold dear to my heart. I drive like a champ on the sauce

[11:03:51] @ Jeff : if I was selling popsicles for $1,000
[11:04:00] @ Jeff : and you get a free blowjob from a hooker with that popsicle
[11:04:05] @ Jeff : I'm pretty sure that's still prostitution
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 3:25 pm

Donatello>>>>>
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:01 pm

Nor summed up my thoughts and feeling on the subject with grace and perfection. That si all I was saying, good post Nor.

I think hip hop is actually the best tool to get rid of racism on a basic level because it is the music of struggle and self expression more so than any other genre imo. The power to speak words has always been one of mankinds strongest tools. It s has manifested armies and disarmed them.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 4:34 pm

I consider Soul on Ice among my top 25-30 fav albums EVER, i consider Lets Get Free a personal classic, and the Boondocks is awesome

However, Untitled gets only around 3.5 to me, as i said before i did not like the beats much, and some of the lyrics seemed forced, still a good effort tho

Also,

I consider hip hop an expression of emotions...whether those emotions be political, abstract, towards blacks, whatever, it is an expression. When i listen to hip hop i feel the expressions put forth by the said artist. Its like listening to Martin Luther King, you can feel his passion and conviction no matter what race you are, even if he isnt speaking directly to you or your race. The passion Dead Prez had and the lyrical complexity of Ras Kass is enough for anyone to appreciate
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 574
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:00 pm

"I feel what Kev is saying, and I co-sign him. A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks."


Wrong untitled has the wackest beats i have heard ever on any album. trash in every way, so the album is wack. Lets get free is dope as fuck though.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:13 pm

Cory wrote:
"I feel what Kev is saying, and I co-sign him. A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks."


Wrong untitled has the wackest beats i have heard ever on any album. trash in every way, so the album is wack. Lets get free is dope as fuck though.

Cory, I disregard anything you have to say about Nas. It doesn't hold any merit because it's clear you hate him regardless.

And to Slang, NOTHING about that album is forced. Nas was speaking from the heart.


Last edited by KJ Styles on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:15 pm

I said from the jump that some of the beats on Untitled were suspect and that is what held it from greatness imo. But I think that is the sound Nas truly intended for the album, some raw basement heavy subject matter ish. Lyric wise its a master piece throughout but beat wise its lacking here and there.


Last edited by KRob86 on Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 574
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:15 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Cory wrote:
"I feel what Kev is saying, and I co-sign him. A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks."


Wrong untitled has the wackest beats i have heard ever on any album. trash in every way, so the album is wack. Lets get free is dope as fuck though.

I disregard anything you have to say about Nas.

your really starting to become a little bitch. i cant give you a pass anymore

"Lyric wise its a master piece throughout but beat wise its lacking here and there."

Even kev can say it. but you cant say anything negative about nas, you are not objective in anyway. your opinion on nas means nothing because its all dick riding.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:17 pm

Cory wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Cory wrote:
"I feel what Kev is saying, and I co-sign him. A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks."


Wrong untitled has the wackest beats i have heard ever on any album. trash in every way, so the album is wack. Lets get free is dope as fuck though.

I disregard anything you have to say about Nas.

your really starting to become a little bitch. i cant give you a pass anymore

I'm just telling it like it is dude. Every time Nas is mentioned you dis him. It's the fuckin truth whether you choose to admit it or not. You can call me all the names in the book, I don't give a fuck. I just know I'm speaking the truth.
Back to top Go down
Cory
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
avatar

Posts : 574
Join date : 2009-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:19 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Cory wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Cory wrote:
"I feel what Kev is saying, and I co-sign him. A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks."


Wrong untitled has the wackest beats i have heard ever on any album. trash in every way, so the album is wack. Lets get free is dope as fuck though.

I disregard anything you have to say about Nas.

your really starting to become a little bitch. i cant give you a pass anymore

I'm just telling it like it is dude. Every time Nas is mentioned you dis him. It's the fuckin truth whether you choose to admit it or not. You can call me all the names in the book, I don't give a fuck. I just know I'm speaking the truth.

you dont speak any truth your so full of shit. so dick riding nas and maybe the bullshit you say would have some meaning. you gotta be the worst poster since steve. im sick of being nice with all this bullshit you say.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 5:24 pm

What bullshit? That you're a hater?? That's a proven FACT!

Maybe if u type'ed with propser ionglish, da shit u says would has sum meanin.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
avatar

Posts : 1039
Join date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 6:27 pm

They like it. They don't have to worry about any racism toward them in the lyrics, because there is no power behind it.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
avatar

Posts : 6865
Join date : 2009-06-12
Age : 241
Location : A Clean, Well-Lighted Place

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 6:34 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Wow, i think some of you are completely missing slang's point. I openly admit that there are albums that black people rank higher due to the subject matter, but that's not really what Slang is trying to say. The components of a dope album must still be present whether it be production, lyrics, sequencing, flow, delivery. The message is only one aspect of it. If the criticism of the album does not center around the subject matter, then the opinion of white people isn't any less valid. I fully understand why Untitled(an album i have at 4.5 stars) would be a classic to a person of color. That ability to speak directly to blacks and minorities gives it that extra edge to push it over the top. However, it's not the subject matter of an album that makes it great or wack.

I find that the rap music I grew up on and have come to prefer and love pretty much boils down to a personal connection that I'd be less likely to take outside (see: white) input on. The key phrase here being "personal connection". When Ghostface dropped "All That I Got Is You", that shit spoke to me directly due to shared experiences. If you aren't sharing the experiences, in a way, your opinion is less valid because you lack a certain perspective and your viewpoint becomes strictly analytical. Some will take that as me saying a less informed opinion is worthless. It's not. It's just less informed. The prevailing viewpoint is that you're on the outside looking in. And, for the most part...you are. There's a disconnect there, but no one wants to address the "elephant in the room". Goodie Mob came to my high school back in '96. Cee-Lo and Gipp ciphered with a few of us. They told us to stay out of trouble and get that education. They were like uncles or distant cousins and were genuine when talking to us. In short, these guys we all love come from our hoods, our families, our backgrounds. Why should I take an outside opinion when it comes to something that close to me and mine? Especially when that opinion lacks any real experience in dealing with the things I know and been through? Trying to lay parameters and rules for something I grew up with in my basement, neighborhood, or family? You must be out of your goddamn mind. We already have our rules and parameters. Keep that over there. I even see it happen around here on the forum quite a bit.

At the end of the day, rap will be assimilated by whites and turned into something they will claim as their own just like everything else they get ahold of. It starts out with shit like the Prefuse 73's and El-P's and Atmosphere's and what not. That will be deemed "the" hip hop shit and they will be looked at as the rap gods and the shit I know and love will be pushed to the side. I already see it being put in motion. Some of that stuff is cool, but it's devoid of soul. Just sayin'. I'll be teaching my seeds about the real shit, though.

No offense. I'm just looking at the track record with jazz, blues, rock, etc (They tried to take funk too, but that required too much soul. lol) and I'm taking an active approach.

Take it how ya wanna...

Oh, and blacks are minorities too, Terry... lol

I agree with pretty much all of your post, this part in particular. I know my viewpoint isn't as informed and will never be. I acknowledge that there will be ways in which I cannot connect to certain aspects of hip hop music, particularly lyrical content. But still, I find it to be an extremely interesting art form with so many classic and complete albums. I don't know of any other genre with such depth. Even more impressive is that it's still very young in the grand scheme of things. I think that there is still a lot of potential. Basically, there's a lot of good music to be heard and that's why I listen to it. Yeah, there are always some ignorant whites that listen to it because of the fad aspect and that it's the "cool" thing to do, and don't really know about the history. But not all white people are that way...

_________________
a.k.a AFutureWithoutAPast, Kendrick Davis

"Besides, I have other words: gorilla, parakeet, giraffe, and also... monkey" - Kool Keith
"They call me the Cinco de Mayo killa 'cause I May put 5 in ya" - K-Rino
"It's hard to focus, perhaps the last opus/If younger heads quote this then it ain't all hopeless" - Dalek
"If this is what makes Mims hot, and this is why I'm not/Put a bullet in my brain bury me with Tupac" - Reks
"And I won't say I'm the best since Rakim & Pac n' them/Better yet, I'm the best since Mozart & Bach n' them" - Celph Titled
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
avatar

Posts : 7631
Join date : 2009-05-11
Age : 97
Location : the back of a barn

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 7:45 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Wow, i think some of you are completely missing slang's point. I openly admit that there are albums that black people rank higher due to the subject matter, but that's not really what Slang is trying to say. The components of a dope album must still be present whether it be production, lyrics, sequencing, flow, delivery. The message is only one aspect of it. If the criticism of the album does not center around the subject matter, then the opinion of white people isn't any less valid. I fully understand why Untitled(an album i have at 4.5 stars) would be a classic to a person of color. That ability to speak directly to blacks and minorities gives it that extra edge to push it over the top. However, it's not the subject matter of an album that makes it great or wack.

I find that the rap music I grew up on and have come to prefer and love pretty much boils down to a personal connection that I'd be less likely to take outside (see: white) input on. The key phrase here being "personal connection". When Ghostface dropped "All That I Got Is You", that shit spoke to me directly due to shared experiences. If you aren't sharing the experiences, in a way, your opinion is less valid because you lack a certain perspective and your viewpoint becomes strictly analytical. Some will take that as me saying a less informed opinion is worthless. It's not. It's just less informed. The prevailing viewpoint is that you're on the outside looking in. And, for the most part...you are. There's a disconnect there, but no one wants to address the "elephant in the room". Goodie Mob came to my high school back in '96. Cee-Lo and Gipp ciphered with a few of us. They told us to stay out of trouble and get that education. They were like uncles or distant cousins and were genuine when talking to us. In short, these guys we all love come from our hoods, our families, our backgrounds. Why should I take an outside opinion when it comes to something that close to me and mine? Especially when that opinion lacks any real experience in dealing with the things I know and been through? Trying to lay parameters and rules for something I grew up with in my basement, neighborhood, or family? You must be out of your goddamn mind. We already have our rules and parameters. Keep that over there. I even see it happen around here on the forum quite a bit.

At the end of the day, rap will be assimilated by whites and turned into something they will claim as their own just like everything else they get ahold of. It starts out with shit like the Prefuse 73's and El-P's and Atmosphere's and what not. That will be deemed "the" hip hop shit and they will be looked at as the rap gods and the shit I know and love will be pushed to the side. I already see it being put in motion. Some of that stuff is cool, but it's devoid of soul. Just sayin'. I'll be teaching my seeds about the real shit, though.

No offense. I'm just looking at the track record with jazz, blues, rock, etc (They tried to take funk too, but that required too much soul. lol) and I'm taking an active approach.

Take it how ya wanna...

Oh, and blacks are minorities too, Terry... lol




WOW...this is a big phat CO-SIGN right here....myself and Norf have had our moments on this forum but this right here is some of the truest shit he ever wrote..and as a black man I completely understand everything written....nothing he said here was racist but actually very intelligent and REAL...good shit Norf!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:03 pm

Kendrick Davis wrote:
Dang! Trotter wrote:
Sorry, to bring "race" up again but its not like this place is throbbing with fresh threads. I remember one of the dinosuars from the classic rock forum from Amazon griping that hip hop aims too much angst toward western civilization. Hmmmmm...I must concur that if I was White I may not listen to rap. Even gangster-type music thats not conscience at all takes swipes at western civilization. Ofcourse racism by my definition is completely different than the average White guy who feels the Black Panthers are as bad as he KKK. Listen to those old Geto boys albums they're pretty much on the same level as dead prez. Actually, its hard to find any rap album that doesn't take a swipe at a White person in a line or two. Now if a White rapper was to say anything remotely negative toward Blacks or a 3000 mile away African culture (or even Latinos) Black listeners will be largely put off now matter how dope he is. I ask myself are these lyrics really registering in the minds of White listeners? Is it cause of self-hate? Is the so-called racism towards Whites acceptable?














?

Yes. No. I don't know what you mean.

I find hip hop to be an interesting art form with a lot of depth. It's enjoyable to listen to, so I listen to it. Problems?

lol...Cosign. I don't understand Trotter neither (after reading his opening post only). I think white males are used to getting the short end from the media in this country. It seems it's always ok to say anything generalizing white males in the media these days. If you are white and male, you better watch what you say.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:07 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I also do not like when whites have an opinion on an album that is mainly and purposely targeted for black people ears only.

Shaking My Head

That sentence actually made me laugh a little.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:09 pm

N3R0 wrote:
Would you trust a black dude's opinion on country music?

If that opinion came from Ray Charles....of course.

Truth be told, the ratio of whites making rap music compared to blacks making country isn't exactly a level playing field.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:14 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks.

LOL...is that what white people tell you? I give it a low rating because they are utterly boring emcees. And I feel they are fairly uneducated people in general. I love protest rappers...many of them being some of my favorite artists of all time. But I simply see a huge line between Chuck D and these fools.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:17 pm

Saint Killa wrote:
Southpark and Family Guy at their best were much better shows than the Boondocks.

Gotta agree. South Park will always be my favorite. I own both seasons of Boondocks though.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:21 pm

Kopasetick wrote:
Donatello>>>>>

Yeah, Don does kick some shell...
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:35 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks.

LOL...is that what white people tell you? I give it a low rating because they are utterly boring emcees. And I feel they are fairly uneducated people in general. I love protest rappers...many of them being some of my favorite artists of all time. But I simply see a huge line between Chuck D and these fools.

Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
avatar

Posts : 5364
Join date : 2009-06-11
Age : 36
Location : Minneapolis, MN

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 8:41 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
A lot of whites have rated albums like Untitled and Let's Get Free low because many of the messages are directed to appeal to blacks.

LOL...is that what white people tell you? I give it a low rating because they are utterly boring emcees. And I feel they are fairly uneducated people in general. I love protest rappers...many of them being some of my favorite artists of all time. But I simply see a huge line between Chuck D and these fools.


I don't see how they could even be compared skill-wise.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 9:43 pm

I agree that Chuck is way better than Dead Prez, but Nas is definitely in the same class.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 10:25 pm

A few thoughts...

That Dead Prez debut is classic in my eyes.

Chuck is probably my favorite revolutionary rapper...

And season 3 of Boondocks starts March 28th.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 10:35 pm

Lookin forward to the Boondocks Season 3, thanks for the info Norf Big Grin

Do the Cartoon Verses on Cold Kickin It.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Wed 13 Jan 2010, 11:13 pm

Alan wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
I also do not like when whites have an opinion on an album that is mainly and purposely targeted for black people ears only.

Shaking My Head

That sentence actually made me laugh a little.

Alan I think sometimes you really 4get you are listening to an originally mostly black art form .
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 12:01 am

So Nor, I don't understand what you're saying with the 25 years from now it won't matter what race they are, it matters how they look? I'm not being facetitious, I'd really like you to expound on that one.

And also, is there a real resentment for white mc's/producers? Or do you just question the motives of record labels? With indie hip hop and a large amount of hip hop labels being owned, operated, and employing african americans, I don't think that hip hop is being overtaken by us white folks anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:21 am

N3R0 wrote:
And also, white people have souls. Just sayin.

Well, couldve fooled me. I thought Whites gave up their souls during their rise to power.
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
avatar

Posts : 2589
Join date : 2009-05-06
Location : Between a rock and hard place

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:32 am

Comparing Boondocks,Family Guy, and South Park is redundant cause they are different flavors. I'd say Eddie Murphy's PJs (remember that?) trumps them all. Stop-motion takes a lot of work.

There's absolutly nothing wrong with a rapper talking about slavery and oppression and our experiences in America. We can talk liberal all we want about people are people and race doesn't matter but in this country it makes a big difference. In America there are roles created for some people, but people are much more greater than the roles assigned to them.
I remember reading an Amazon reviewer gave One Be Lo's SONOGRAM album a bad review cause One said something he thought was derogatory towards Jews. The line went like this : "And everything you hear is controlled by the Jews.right?" Obviosly the reviwer missed the point.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:39 am

"I remember reading an Amazon reviewer gave One Be Lo's SONOGRAM album a bad review cause One said something he thought was derogatory towards Jews. The line went like this : "And everything you hear is controlled by the Jews.right?" Obviosly the reviwer missed the point."

Lol... I remember reading that review

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
avatar

Posts : 3100
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 122
Location : Midland, NC USA

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 1:58 am

Dang! Trotter wrote:
I'd say Eddie Murphy's PJs (remember that?) trumps them all. Stop-motion takes a lot of work.

I loved The PJ's. Thurgood was the shit!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 6:29 pm

N3R0 wrote:
So Nor, I don't understand what you're saying with the 25 years from now it won't matter what race they are, it matters how they look? I'm not being facetitious, I'd really like you to expound on that one.

And also, is there a real resentment for white mc's/producers? Or do you just question the motives of record labels? With indie hip hop and a large amount of hip hop labels being owned, operated, and employing african americans, I don't think that hip hop is being overtaken by us white folks anytime soon.

Part 1: Slug looks white. Most people that are unaware of his mixed ethnicity will automatically assume that he is white upon first glance. That was my point...

Part 2: Resentment for what reason? And can you name a few of these black owned labels for me?
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 6:46 pm

"Part 2: Resentment for what reason? And can you name a few of these black owned labels for me?"

Subterraneous, Blacksmith, Duck Down (I think), M.I.C. Records....

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
avatar

Posts : 9848
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 29
Location : Detroit

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 7:44 pm

isnt Duck Down owned by Dru Ha, or him and Buckshot both?
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
avatar

Posts : 2871
Join date : 2009-05-07
Age : 40
Location : DMV

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 9:36 pm

Shaun wrote:
"Part 2: Resentment for what reason? And can you name a few of these black owned labels for me?"

Subterraneous, Blacksmith, Duck Down (I think), M.I.C. Records....

Duck Down is co-owned by Dru Ha (white).

And 4 labels wouldn't be enough to fight off assimilation.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
avatar

Posts : 10096
Join date : 2009-05-06
Age : 27
Location : Eardrum>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quality

PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 9:46 pm

"Duck Down is co-owned by Dru Ha (white).

And 4 labels wouldn't be enough to fight off assimilation."

That's why I said (I think). Also, you just said name a few.

_________________
[19:13:27] Steve : "AND THE COLONIALS DROPPED TEA in the WATER! HOW DID NAS LOSE TO JAY-Z???""
[19:13:57] Steve : that was mj KJ impression

[22:07:07] Dang! Trotter has joined the chat on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
[22:07:33] Dang! Trotter : I don't like Nicholas Cage's hair.
[22:07:39] Dang! Trotter is Disconnected on Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:07 pm
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   Thu 14 Jan 2010, 9:47 pm

Why do white people exist?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Why do White people listen to hip hop?   

Back to top Go down
 
Why do White people listen to hip hop?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» And I forget just why I taste, oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile
» Listen to the new Skillet all week
» Mr.Electric's "The White Metal Show"
» Gemini v Black Scorpio: People's Penthouse, Greenwich Farm. 1983
» Funky Swedish white boys.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hip-Hop 4 Life :: The Lounge :: Classic Threads and Discussions-
Jump to: