Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sage Francis-Li(f)e

Go down 
+6
Laced With Slang
Blades
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Jason
Justin Linker
parker lewis
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Sage Francis-Li(f)e Empty
PostSubject: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 12:32 pm

Finally got my fucking pre-order today. Simply put, this is one of the weirdest hip hop albums I've ever listened to. I really have no clue how I feel about it yet. His lyrics are infinitely more personal, less weird references, less pretentious bullshit...just...not what I was expecting from a Sage Francis record really. The live instruments both add to the weird goings on but also provide a nice rock for you to lean on when Sage gets weird on you. Anyway, anybody else have any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 5:52 pm

You paid for a Sage Francis album? After Human the Death Dance?
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 8:22 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
You paid for a Sage Francis album? Lame

Fixed
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 10:04 pm

The fusion of rock here was much better than most attempts rappers make, but it tends toward a straight-edged, indie rock sound a little too much, because of the collaborators he chose. I'm not a big fan of most of the musicians he worked with here to begin with. Sage would fit better with more a left-field sound.

Also, he's even cornier than usual with some of the hooks and so on, and that's saying something, but overall the writing is pretty good. I think it's an above average album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 11:32 pm

I think the transition is a bit to take in. It's like when Slug changed his whole lyrical style on "Lucy Ford" then Ant changed his beats on "When Life Gives You Lemons" on the same cd. Just not what I was expecting. Better than Esoteric, Cage, and Eyedea's attempt at similar efforts last year.

Also, I like Human The Death Dance quite a bit. It's my second or third favorite Sage album, right around his Non Prophets cd but definitely behind Personal Journals.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeSat 22 May 2010, 1:47 am

Crappy album, bought it at Best Buy because it was only $7.99. Only one dope song, and that was the very last song. His other albums are way better than this and easily too.
Back to top Go down
Blades
I Deserve A
I Deserve A
Blades

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 2:35 pm

The album was what I expected and it just didn't work for me. Sage showed that he is still strong but I hope he doesnt keep in the direction he seems to be going.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 4:40 pm

i cant listen to this guy for some reason
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 5:04 pm

Album is gay
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 5:06 pm

Slang. The reason is because you are clearly not a homosexual. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 5:19 pm

Which explains why Shaun LOVES him some Sage.

I've spun this a few more times recently and it's grown on me quite a bit. Sometimes it works very well, and sometimes it's coasting along by Sage's wit. Overall, about a 3.5-4 album IMO.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 5:33 pm

I actually do not listen to Sage. I've tried, though.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 5:33 pm

no homo
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 8:48 pm

Kid Joe wrote:
You paid for a Sage Francis album? After Human the Death Dance?

Gotta agree there. Human Death Dance completely lost me and made me not care about Sage anymore. His debut and his sophomore were pretty dope to me at the time. They wore thin semi-quickly for me though...
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 9:16 pm

I hadn't heard about Sage until Human the Death Dance. A gas station attendant was RAVING about him and about how "all these faggots out here don't know real hip hop"...so I checked it out...eh. That album was decent and different but it didn't leave me wanting to hear more. I gave Life a try just to see if it would be better...I thought it was, but still not anything that I would wanna bump over and over. He's a cool storyteller but has an overall sound that is boring. I guess I'll have to check out his older stuff since you guys seem to think it's better but I saw that Jeff likens Sage's newer stuff to the change that Atmosphere made...if that's the case then the older stuff is probably not my thing. Lemons is my favorite Atmosphere album.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 10:09 pm

Wanduras wrote:
I hadn't heard about Sage until Human the Death Dance. A gas station attendant was RAVING about him and about how "all these faggots out here don't know real hip hop"...so I checked it out...eh. That album was decent and different but it didn't leave me wanting to hear more. I gave Life a try just to see if it would be better...I thought it was, but still not anything that I would wanna bump over and over. He's a cool storyteller but has an overall sound that is boring. I guess I'll have to check out his older stuff since you guys seem to think it's better but I saw that Jeff likens Sage's newer stuff to the change that Atmosphere made...if that's the case then the older stuff is probably not my thing. Lemons is my favorite Atmosphere album.

how is that Aloe Blacc ive heard really good things
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 10:11 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Wanduras wrote:

lmao
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 10:13 pm

Half wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Wanduras wrote:

lmao

Ass Licker -----> Half.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 10:15 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Half wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
Wanduras wrote:

lmao

Ass Licker -----> Half.

Michigan Ass Licker OSU (Ranked #1 in the country)
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeMon 11 Oct 2010, 10:22 pm

It's fuckin dope, man. I'm lovin all the beats on there and the vocals and subject matter is all on point. I think it would be dope as fuck if a rapper did an entire remix album to this. If you are usually a fan of r&b/soul you will def dig it but even if you aren't you will at least dig the beats.

Miss Fortune, Life So Hard, Take Me Back, If I>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitimeTue 19 Oct 2010, 9:08 pm

Wanduras wrote:
It's fuckin dope, man. I'm lovin all the beats on there and the vocals and subject matter is all on point. I think it would be dope as fuck if a rapper did an entire remix album to this. If you are usually a fan of r&b/soul you will def dig it but even if you aren't you will at least dig the beats.

Miss Fortune, Life So Hard, Take Me Back, If I>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So it's similar to Shine Through? Solid album no doubt, but I was wanting some rapping out of the man....like the Emanon days...or even like the verse he spit on the Blu & Exile album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sage Francis-Li(f)e   Sage Francis-Li(f)e Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sage Francis-Li(f)e
Page 1 of 1