Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eminem "Recovery"

Go down 
+6
Justin Linker
Jason
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
J. Harris
T. Myers
E. Taylor
10 posters
AuthorMessage
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 1:41 pm

OK, it's officially out now. Let's hear some thoughts on it. Personally, through 2 listens I tend to agree that it's better than "Encore" but I wouldn't be so fast to say it's better than "Relapse" too.

The pros:

Em is back to spittin the way he knows how. Anybody that says this guy can't rhyme just has some kind of agenda.

16 tracks is just right for me. I don't need anymore than that.

The pop guest spots don't kill the album. I didn't figure they would.

He's lost the stupid accent!

The cons:

Production............I just really don't like the direction he took with the production here. It's not all that bad, just not all that good either.

Lil Wayne-I'm not a Wayne hater, but his verse was garbage to me.

If your a fan of Em as I am then it's a solid but not spectacular album. Lyrically it's on point, the best he's sounded in a while but the production to me kind of brings it down. Definitely isn't a contender for top 5 of the year. Maybe top 12-15.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:33 pm

Well, the fact that it's officially out doesn't change my view of the album. LOL! I understand the criticisms, but I still like the album.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:35 pm

E. Taylor, your review is on point definitely. Let me add to the cons:

Production was definitely geared towards the mainstream crowd. Em chose some beats that the likes of LeAnn Rimes, Lil Wayne, or any other pop star would have put on an album. I think he played himself on the production tip. Seems like he is worried more about relevancy big time here. He could have used beats from the likes of Dre, Bass brothers, or Primo and still make a cohesive album.

Another con is the fact that he kept apologizing for the Relapse CD and stated that he would throw it in the trash. WTF? Relapse was dope (with the exception of the overuse of the accent), and the beats on that CD definitely outweigh Recovery's production effort. Also, the Lil Wayne feature wasn't necessary. It's apparent Em wanted to make sure his CD sells out with Wayne's name attached. Kind of pathetic considering Relapse did decent numbers without pop features except 50.

As far as the pros, he brought the lyrics and delivery as he only knows how. However, the "So Bad" track seemed out of place on the album IMO.

Overall, the album is definitely a strong point for Em lyrically, but the production keeps scaled down a bit in top ranking albums of the year so far. I'd give it a 3.5/5
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:39 pm

welll em was on wayne's album... natural wayne is on em's album, I don't think it had anything to do with pop or selling out... just artists working together.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:42 pm

Are y'all actually buying the album? Also, have you guys heard the "Session One feat. Slaughterhouse" and "Ridaz" bonus tracks? Those are pretty sick. The Dre beat on "Ridaz" was heat, and the Just Blaze produced track with Slaughterhouse was dope as well. Em should have included those on the album. There was no need to put those as bonus tracks. I guess he wanted it as mainstream as possible lol. The addition of those tracks on retail version would have moved up the ranking to a 4/5 IMO. Take off the Lil Wayne/Rhianna tracks, replace them with the bonus ones, and you have a better album.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:43 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
welll em was on wayne's album... natural wayne is on em's album, I don't think it had anything to do with pop or selling out... just artists working together.

lol. I forgot about that man. Yeah, I guess it would be natural to do that.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:43 pm

I like the album too Myers. Saying it's officially out is because I don't really like to listen to leaks from albums that I know i'm going to buy so I just heard most of this for the first time. "So Bad" was kind of a disappointment for me. As hard as it is for me to accept I may have to admit that Dre's production isn't as dope as it used to be. Like I said, solid album, but aint messin with Freeway, Nas, or Lynch.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:46 pm

smh my preorder from Best Buy for this and the Roots didn't come today. Sad
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:49 pm

Why wouldn't I buy the album? I like the album. I buy cd's that i like. It seems logical to me.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:55 pm

The reason I asked was because of the mixed reviews the album got. Some folks said they liked the album somewhat but weren't going to buy it. I'm copping today. I wish Best Buy did an exclusive where the bonus tracks were on the CD or something.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:57 pm

don't worry, we'll probably have like Recovery - 13th Step Edition come out in 2 months with a disc full of bonus tracks.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:59 pm

Anybody able to find any copies of the Vinnie Paz album? My local stores didn't have any.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 2:59 pm

J. Harris wrote:
The reason I asked was because of the mixed reviews the album got. Some folks said they liked the album somewhat but weren't going to buy it. I'm copping today. I wish Best Buy did an exclusive where the bonus tracks were on the CD or something.

Oh ok, I gotcha now. I picked it up along with The Roots album.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:01 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
Anybody able to find any copies of the Vinnie Paz album? My local stores didn't have any.

I pre-ordered mine from Blowitoutahere, but i didn't see any copies of the Paz or Z-Ro in Best Buy today. You should do the pre-order thing from Blowitoutahere Taylor. Yhey're located in KY and they have good prices.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:02 pm

smh I thought you hated Blowitoutahere.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:04 pm

Victor Shade wrote:
smh I thought you hated Blowitoutahere.

Nah, i don't hate them. They annoyed me cause they made me jump through hoops to return a cd, and when i did, it took forever for them to issue a refund. Their prices and shipping are both very good though.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:07 pm

T. Myers wrote:
J. Harris wrote:

Oh ok, I gotcha now. I picked it up along with The Roots album.

You picked up your Roots from Best Buy? They wouldn't let me get it said I have to wait until tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:11 pm

you got hosed K.Rob. Almost every CD got pushed up to monday this week because of eminem, roots included.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:11 pm

LOL, they are lying to you, and they screwed up. The release date is today. I would have raised hell.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:14 pm

Yeah my FYE had the Roots album on display. Didn't have the funds for 2 albums today though.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
you got hosed K.Rob. Almost every CD got pushed up to monday this week because of eminem, roots included.

Yeah I'm going back when I get off! Just ordered it for pick up.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:19 pm

I've tried to give it a few more listens since the last discussion, but my opinion hasn't changed, it's only beating out Encore by a small margin.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 3:22 pm

I forgot Roots got pushed up as well. I'm grabbing that today too.
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 7:13 pm

4 spins now and it's actually starting to grow on me. I should have just kept my mouth shut until i had time to really get some good listens in.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 7:45 pm

E. Taylor wrote:
4 spins now and it's actually starting to grow on me. I should have just kept my mouth shut until i had time to really get some good listens in.

Yeah this album has grown on me as well. I wasn't feelin it that much after the first spin or two but now I think it's a solid album. I give it 4 stars, still my 2nd least fav from Em though.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 9:46 pm

It's a good album. Definitely nothing mindblowing though. I actually agree with E. Taylor's original post completely. Lyrically he's on point, but alot of the production is weak to me. Still a good effort. Likely not cracking my top 5 (perhaps even 10) at the end of the year.

And yes, the song with Lil Wayne sucked IMO
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 9:54 pm

As I mentioned in the thread I started about his song with Slaughterhouse, I may be on my way to copping Em's discography. Yes, I've heard some Eminem material, but it was something about that song w/ SH that did it for me..
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 11:25 pm

Wayne wrote:
As I mentioned in the thread I started about his song with Slaughterhouse, I may be on my way to copping Em's discography. Yes, I've heard some Eminem material, but it was something about that song w/ SH that did it for me..

He has a solid discography. The only one I'd outright skip would be Encore. Recovery is an aquired taste but it's likeable. I'd start with the SSLP and MMLP though.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeMon 21 Jun 2010, 11:26 pm

SSLP is my favorite Em album. Classic, dark Esham influenced rap style over dope ass beats. Peep that first.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 10:59 am

I know I'm still going to buy Em's first 3 albums, as well as the new one, however, if since it sounds like he's admitting that Relapse (and Encore) was not "up to par", is it still worth buying? I do recall listening to this album in full a few months ago and wasn't terribly impressed. Wonder has time been kind to it.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 11:12 am

I like Relapse more than Recovery. Mainly for the production. If you do get Relapse, get Relapse Refill. It has 7 more songs and they're pretty good. It's cheap as hell on Amazon. I got it there for about $5 shipped.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 11:40 am

J. Linker of 0nSlaught3r wrote:
I like Relapse more than Recovery. Mainly for the production. If you do get Relapse, get Relapse Refill. It has 7 more songs and they're pretty good. It's cheap as hell on Amazon. I got it there for about $5 shipped.

It is going to be the Relapse Refill one I'm going to get.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 5:53 pm

I'm digging this album after my first spin. Probably isn't as good the Roots, but still a solid album and most definitely a step above Relapse. He goes deep on Going Through Changes, the standout track for me.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 5:59 pm

Also, I really dug the "What is Love" sample on "No Love". Never expected that song to appear on a rap song. And yes, I dug Lil Wayne's verse.
Back to top Go down
RuKuS
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
RuKuS

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 6:01 pm

I give it a solid 4 stars. The production is poppy but I can get over it because of the content. I still say Relapse was utter garbage, though. I understand the production was pretty good, but everything else was horrible. I still say it sits last on the Em discography for me.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 7:13 pm

No Love sucks, IMO.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 7:37 pm

J. Linker of 0nSlaught3r wrote:
No Love sucks, IMO.

Yeah it does, that and the Pink song are the worst on the album IMO.

25 To Life is my fav track on the album as of right now
Back to top Go down
E. Taylor
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
E. Taylor

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeWed 23 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm

Cosign KJ. 25 To Life is my favorite track too. I'm really liking "Cinderella Man" too.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jun 2010, 6:30 pm

Oh, is that vicious motherfucker back? Why, yes, he is. About time.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeSat 26 Jun 2010, 1:01 am

I know I'm late with this one, but yesterday, I purchased Recovery, The Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show, and Relapse-Refill (my local Best Buy had no copies of The Slim Shady LP). I can't wait to listen to these albums.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeFri 02 Jul 2010, 11:23 pm

I'd put KRS-One's EP ahead of Recovery!
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeFri 02 Jul 2010, 11:33 pm

RealHipHopWillNeverDie wrote:

God. Dammit. Can't we get some people with original opinions to join the forum?
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeSat 03 Jul 2010, 12:39 am

4.5 stars for Recovery.
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeSat 03 Jul 2010, 12:55 am

Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeSat 03 Jul 2010, 1:02 am

Jason wrote:

Naturally.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jul 2010, 7:23 pm

I heard a song yesterday from Eminem's new album, and I gotta say, as I stopped and let the song run through my head, his delivery on this one song I heard sounded quite terrible to me, the chorus pretty catchy though, it will be a hit I'm sure, but it only reassured me personally that I can never enjoy this. I have a problem with new school mainstream and pop in general, being that much of it just doesn't appeal to me. So, on another note, yesterday I bought my first Eminem album SSLP. Heard a bit of it back when it dropped and was getting airtime, so I am gonna try listen to it, I figure it will have a better chance with me than any of his more recent work.
Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm

Eastern Rap Pro wrote:
E. Taylor wrote:

Yeah this album has grown on me as well. I wasn't feelin it that much after the first spin or two but now I think it's a solid album. I give it 4 stars, still my 2nd least fav from Em though.

At least this time you only switched it by .25 stars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eminem "Recovery" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eminem "Recovery"   Eminem "Recovery" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eminem "Recovery"
Page 1 of 1