Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Empty
PostSubject: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 9:23 am

Say there is an album with 20 minutes of the most beautiful music you have ever heard in your life, the best thing you have ever heard no matter the genre or anything. But the next 40 minutes are either only a little above average, average, or below average. Is the album a classic? Does it stand out to you?

To contrast, say an album is 60 minutes of way above average, say the 20th best thing you've heard, but consistent all the way through. Which album do you like more? Which album do you rate higher?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 12:51 pm

I'm all for consistency but the way you described the first twenty minutes makes me pick the first choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 1:15 pm

Steve wrote:
Say there is an album with 20 minutes of the most beautiful music you have ever heard in your life, the best thing you have ever heard no matter the genre or anything. But the next 40 minutes are either only a little above average, average, or below average. Is the album a classic? Does it stand out to you?

To contrast, say an album is 60 minutes of way above average, say the 20th best thing you've heard, but consistent all the way through. Which album do you like more? Which album do you rate higher?

That's easy, the 2nd choice!! If it's consistent all the way through it's got classic potential. Good examples of that would be Quality Control by Jurassic 5, and The Grind Date by De La Soul. Both of which I consider classics.

I've seen too many of the first choice type albums. Usually they only rate about 4 stars at best. 20 minutes usually only equals to 5 or 6 songs at best. Good examples of that would be Sex Packets by Digital Underground, and Bacdafucup by Onyx. Not neccessarily the FIRST 20 minutes, but they have 5-6 classic songs and then the rest is a bit of a dropoff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 1:16 pm

now powell, would you say sex packets has 20 minutes which is the best 20 minutes of music in your life? i dont think you read it fully.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 1:55 pm

Steve wrote:
now powell, would you say sex packets has 20 minutes which is the best 20 minutes of music in your life? i dont think you read it fully.

Why are you calling me Powell??? But you're right I didn't read it clearly.

Under that criteria, it would depend on how dope the rest of the album was. Unless the rest was above average overall, I'd still probably take the second choice.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 2:15 pm

lol

Because you are Powell's finger puppet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 2:24 pm

Eat a dick Parker Lewis!
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 2:41 pm

Get mad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 2:53 pm

i honestly get you guys confused sometimes, lol. i meant to call you kj sorry.
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 9:23 pm

I'll take the album with the best 20 minutes of music I've ever heard. There are so many albums out there that you can enjoy the whole way through that are above average. I'm all for 20 minutes of music euphoria.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeSun 05 Jul 2009, 11:42 pm

The second...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Jul 2009, 12:43 pm

I would choose the second option. If a cd only has 20 minutes of extremely beautiful music, and the rest is trash, then that joint better not be full price. If that's the case, I would rip the good 20 minutes off of the cd (assuming I bought it to begin with), put the music on my computer and resell the cd for a fair price based on the condition of the cd. Those kind of cds really piss me off. They aren't classics at all, and have no reason to be in that category (in my opinion). I'd rather have a consistent, average cd that has replay value, than a album where the first 20 minutes is good, and then I'd have to take the cd out of the player.

I'm not really the kind of person who switches different cds every 5 songs. I want to listen to the whole thing. Isn't that the point of buying an album anyway?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Jul 2009, 2:57 pm

a.scott wrote:
I would choose the second option. If a cd only has 20 minutes of extremely beautiful music, and the rest is trash, then that joint better not be full price. If that's the case, I would rip the good 20 minutes off of the cd (assuming I bought it to begin with), put the music on my computer and resell the cd for a fair price based on the condition of the cd. Those kind of cds really piss me off. They aren't classics at all, and have no reason to be in that category (in my opinion). I'd rather have a consistent, average cd that has replay value, than a album where the first 20 minutes is good, and then I'd have to take the cd out of the player.

I'm not really the kind of person who switches different cds every 5 songs. I want to listen to the whole thing. Isn't that the point of buying an album anyway?

The next 40 minutes aren't necessarily trash though. They can be above average.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitimeMon 06 Jul 2009, 2:59 pm

a scott missed the point, this is THE BEST, MOST BEAUTIFUL music you have ever heard. There are no "those kinds of cds" there is JUST ONE.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?   Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which do you prefer, and which ranks higher?
Page 1 of 1