Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review That Album

Go down 
+7
Wanduras
T. Myers
gametheory91
thelundquist
Funk Seoul Brother
SyRuP Sippa
Half
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

Review That Album - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 16 Jul 2011, 11:57 am

Half wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
Da UnderDawgz - The 1st One Is for Pimp - 2.75/5*

Not a very good tape. I don't know who Da Underdawgz are or how many of them there are, but every song sounds like it has a few different dudes doing poor Pimp C (or Bun B) impersonations. The production is all cliche-ly southern: over-synthed and annoying. Also, it bothered me that some of the 'features' were just samples of the artist that was supposedly on the track. There are a few of nice tracks on here, though, mainly "MOB" featuring Z-Ro & "Mic Check" featuring Chamillionaire.

Thanks for participating man.

Yo gametheory, can you review "The Dragon of an Ordinary Family" by Jehst? I'll be down to help you find it if you need help.

Will do. I found a link as well. Idk when I'll be able to review cuz I might be busy for the next few days, but I'll get it done as fast as I can.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jul 2011, 5:42 pm

Half wrote:
A Guest wrote:
How about you review Legendary Traxter's Return Of The Gansta Muzic for me, Half.

Will do

Legendary Traxster - The Return Of Gangsta Music

This album is smooth and has a laid back atmosphere for most of the tracks, even the more violent and "gangsta" tracks. The production is nice and I like the majority of the beats on here. A lot of the songs feature catchy hooks and the album as a whole is very relaxing and easy to listen to. Traxster does a good job and the guests all sound confident and handle their business, but I wasn't hearing lines that would make me press rewind. There aren't any bad tracks on here, but like my experience with Dom Kennedy many tracks didn't stick with me. There were a few standouts though, like Kill You which features good storytelling, and I also thought the Dun D solos were pretty nice. I'd say this is a good release, and I'd give it 3.5 stars for now.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jul 2011, 9:23 pm

Thread Update:

Albums/Mixtapes reviewed:

Dj Rapid Ric - WhutItDew (3.5 stars rating by Half)
The Game - Red Wars(?) (2 stars by gametheory)
K-Rino - Fear No Evil (3.75 stars by T.Myers)
Dom Kennedy - II: From The Westside With Love (3 stars by Half)
Da UnderDawgz - The 1st One Is For Pimp (2.75 stars by thelundquist)
The Legendary Traxster - The Return Of Gangsta Music (3.5 stars by Half)

Albums/Mixtapes that still need to be reviewed:
Guilty Simpson - Ghettodes (SRP)
Lil Wayne - Sorry 4 The Wait (Cise)
Jehst - The Dragon Of An Ordinary Family (gametheory)

Posters not reviewing anything as of this post:
T. Myers
Half
A Guest
thelundquist

.........................................................................................................................

Basically a shameless bump for the thread, but whatever. Also if anyone else wants to join in feel free to do so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 11:27 am

T. Myers should review Triple Darkness-Last Dayz
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 11:31 am

Send me a link, and i'll be glad to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm

Also can you re-size my sig?
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 1:04 pm

Pretty ill picture man. ^
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 1:14 pm

I hate Rapidshare.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 1:37 pm

Yo I wanna review something...

And I would like Half to review Del - Golden Era. I have mixed feelings about that album, wondering what you think.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 1:38 pm

Solar Deity wrote:

It took me a second to realize that was an iPhone...lol. Dope!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

Wanduras wrote:

And I would like Half to review Del - Golden Era. I have mixed feelings about that album, wondering what you think.

Sure, will do.

Can you review Noir by Blue Sky Black Death? It seems like people are sleeping on it, I think a bunch of people on here would like it. It keeps getting better to me.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 2:56 pm

Wanduras wrote:
Solar Deity wrote:

It took me a second to realize that was an iPhone...lol. Dope!
I figured it was a phone but wouldn't have guessed an iPhone. I guess the chrome edge was a giveaway.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 3:45 pm

A Guest wrote:

Give me a mediafire link or i will not review your little album.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

Hey A Guest will you review Die, Rugged Man, Die?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 5:26 pm

Half wrote:
Wanduras wrote:

Sure, will do.

Can you review Noir by Blue Sky Black Death? It seems like people are sleeping on it, I think a bunch of people on here would like it. It keeps getting better to me.

Nice! I was hoping it would be something I had never heard of. I have seen the album mentioned on here but have never heard it or anything by the artist. I'm on it.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

Wanduras wrote:
Half wrote:
Wanduras wrote:

Sure, will do.

Nice! I was hoping it would be something I had never heard of. I have seen the album mentioned on here but have never heard it or anything by the artist. I'm on it.

Cool, if you need help finding it let me know.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

I know some other cats on here want to get in on this...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 7:01 pm

Half wrote:
Wanduras wrote:

Sure, will do.

Golden Era first impressions

Like you I have mixed feelings about this as well. First of all, the big standout for me on this release is the production/beats. The music sounds great on headphones, very clean and crisp. Also I don't know who did the beats but they do some pretty interesting things on tracks like Double Barrel, Pearly Gates, and Fallout. Those happen to be my favorite tracks by the way. The beats seem to overshadow Del's performance on most of the tracks - he isn't the same Del that went crazy on Deltron 3030 more than 10 years ago. Many of the tracks sound good initially but there ends up being something vaguely unsatisfying about them. Sometimes a chorus will go on too long (Calculate) or there will be some rambling to end a track (Pearly Gates). Some of the tracks like Descending are just flat out boring to me. There are some interesting ideas floating around and I like some tracks, but then some tracks just drag on too long or fail to hold my interest. I feel slightly positive about this...I'll go 3.25 stars for now. I'll probably have to listen to it again just to make sure I'm really "hearing" it, but for now, I can only recommend this to die-hard Del fans...who probably already have this.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

A Guest wrote:

Lmao looks like T gave it the axe...
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 10:38 pm

T. Myers wrote:
A Guest wrote:

Give me a mediafire link or i will not review your little album.

Did the link I gave you work?
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 11:14 pm

Guilty Simpson x Oh No - Ghettodes:

After two full spins (headphones only) I really dug the production on this album. Oh No brings the heat on every track here. There is no production that is catchy to the point of making you feel like playing one song over and over again, but the production on here flows extremely well and is extremely solid. Lyrically, you know what you get from Guilty Simpson, he's a less charismatic, less talented version of guys like Sean Price and Royce, so as with the original Ode, he's probably going to be a love it or hate it type of guy. At this point I'm leaning to be more inclined to spin this version of Ode, but I haven't spun the OG in at least a year.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jul 2011, 11:55 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Guilty Simpson x Oh No - Ghettodes:

After two full spins (headphones only) I really dug the production on this album. Oh No brings the heat on every track here. There is no production that is catchy to the point of making you feel like playing one song over and over again, but the production on here flows extremely well and is extremely solid. Lyrically, you know what you get from Guilty Simpson, he's a less charismatic, less talented version of guys like Sean Price and Royce, so as with the original Ode, he's probably going to be a love it or hate it type of guy. At this point I'm leaning to be more inclined to spin this version of Ode, but I haven't spun the OG in at least a year.

Nice review SRP. I agree with the production and that is why I prefer this way more than the OG Ode. It just feels more cohesive. I personally prefer Guilty over Sean P and Royce, but I totally understand why some people wouldn't dig him.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 1:43 am

Lundquist,
Thanks for the review, saw that mixtape with Pimp C on it and was curious. They jock UGK hard on it, good to know it's not worth my time.

Gametheory,
Yeah, I dig Guilty Simpson, I was one of the first to peep Ode way back when, so it's no slight. I'll try to rec something I've heard before next time, but last week I DLed a ton of mixtapes so wanted others feedback on some of them since I knew I didn't have time to listen to em all.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 8:13 am

Yeah, Ghettodes was really dope.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 9:25 am

Review for Triple Darkness-Last Dayz:

First of all, this is typical Jeff music. That's not a knock. It is what it is. If you've liked his rec's in the past you may dig this. If his rec's haven't been your cup of tea, i would avoid this release. The album starts off strong with Triple Darkness(song) so i was hoping for a little more from the release. Unfortunately too many tracks sounded like the last to me. There were a few standouts though. The aforementioned Triple Darkness is dope. F*** Iz U Talkin Bout was a really dope collabo track with Psycho Drama(i think) and some chick. Jeff can correct me if i'm wrong. Streetz was the last great track IMO. The beat was rock influenced, and the rhymes, while not groundbreakin, were decent. I'd say 3.5 stars.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 10:14 am

Another update...why not bitch

Albums/Mixtapes reviewed:

Dj Rapid Ric - WhutItDew (3.5 stars rating by Half)
The Game - Red Wars(?) (2 stars by gametheory)
K-Rino - Fear No Evil (3.75 stars by T.Myers)
Dom Kennedy - II: From The Westside With Love (3 stars by Half)
Da UnderDawgz - The 1st One Is For Pimp (2.75 stars by thelundquist)
The Legendary Traxster - The Return Of Gangsta Music (3.5 stars by Half)
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Golden Era (3.25 stars by Half)
Guilty Simpson X Oh No - Ghettodes (??? by SRP)
Triple Darkness - Last Dayz (3.5 stars by T. Myers)

Albums/Mixtapes that still need to be reviewed:
Lil Wayne - Sorry 4 The Wait (Cise)
Jehst - The Dragon Of An Ordinary Family (gametheory)
R.A. The Rugged Man - Die, Rugged Man, Die (A Guest)
Blue Sky Black Death - Noir (Wanduras)
Killarmy - Dirty Weaponry (Slang said he'd get around to this)

Posters not reviewing anything as of this post:
Half
SRP
T. Myers
thelundquist

Anyone else down? Lounge? Shaun? Tran? Esco? Linker? Xcel? ctrx? KRob? Norf? Myes? Highsmith? KJ? Wayne? D.Powell? parker? Yogi? B.Shaw? PKT? Dopplegang.com? Zoned Out Mackin? Big Grin
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

Half, Review Seagram - Souls on Ice
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 4:04 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Not a problem, I have that, I'll throw a review down later tonight.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 4:05 pm

Lundquist, review MVP-CLOUT.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 4:13 pm

i'm on it.
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 6:58 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I want Cise to review this:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/14243/lil_wayne_sorry_4_the_wait.html
Against better judgement, I went ahead and ran through this. I had nothing but low expectations for this seeing who its by. That being said, it wasn't complete trash. Throwed Off (before his verse), Marvin's Room, Sure Thing, Hands Up, and Sorry 4 The Wait are replay worthy. Gucci Gucci and Run The World (outro) are only listenable because I really dig the beats. I don't really listen to mixtapes or hiphop in general these days (check my last.fm). I'm not sure what sort of standards people rate mixtapes by. I suppose a 3/5 seems fair.

From an outside perspective one could say he is talented lyrically but his subject matter and voice completely turn me off.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 7:01 pm

Solar Deity wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
I want Cise to review this:

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/14243/lil_wayne_sorry_4_the_wait.html
Against better judgement, I went ahead and ran through this. I had nothing but low expectations for this seeing who its by. That being said, it wasn't complete trash. Throwed Off (before his verse), Marvin's Room, Sure Thing, Hands Up, and Sorry 4 The Wait are replay worthy. Gucci Gucci and Run The World (outro) are only listenable because I really dig the beats. I don't really listen to mixtapes or hiphop in general these days (check my last.fm). I'm not sure what sort of standards people rate mixtapes by. I suppose a 3/5 seems fair.

From an outside perspective one could say he is talented lyrically but his subject matter and voice completely turn me off.

Thanks for participating! You still haven't asked someone to review something by the way.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 7:57 pm

That's actually a better score than I would have given it. I had it hovering around a 2.

If you want something non hip-hop Cise, please review Shoki Shoki by Femi Kuti. One of my favorite non rap albums.

And I am open to review anything that is legally available for free. that includes streaming on band camp or I am also willing to do youtube spins if all tracks can be found on the site.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 9:31 pm

Half wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Not a problem, I have that, I'll throw a review down later tonight.

This request made me realize that this thread could have another very important function, to get people to revisit albums and make them appreciate them more. Asking someone to put some thoughts together about something causes them to focus just a bit more. When I heard this album the first couple of times, I enjoyed it, I thought it was pretty good - I threw it in the "good" file in the back of my head. But when I listened to it the first few times I never really concentrated on the album, I basically zoned out and just let the album go by. Songs popped out at me but I didn't really give it my full attention. This time around, I basically tried my best to focus on what I was hearing, paying attention to both lyrics and beats with more intensity than before. This certainly resulted in a greater appreciation for what went into this fantastic release.

Souls On Ice provides a look at Seagram's street life from many different angles. The album starts off with the dark and paranoid Sleepin In My Nikes, which features a good performance from Scarface. Two tracks later, and Slingin The Yea deals with the same subject but comes off to me as a really happy song. It's not really glorifying drug dealing and hustling, but explaining that for Seagram there were good intentions behind it - to provide for his family and get out of the projects. The tracks on the album showcase a variety of different emotions, and it could be easy for someone to feel like they are being given mixed messages after hearing threatening tracks like Straight Mobbin, positive sounding tracks like Slingin The Yea, and more introspective tracks like Gotta Stay Down. But to me its just Seagram giving the listener different ways to interpret his lifestyle, and this variety is probably my favorite thing about the album. Seagram also showcases a sense of humor on the track Flintstones, but there's still a serious undercurrent to it.

The beats on this album are great, and Seagram raps with confidence and an impressive flow. There are some big name guests including Scarface, Spice 1 and Yukmouth, and they all do their thing. The album's only major flaw for me is that the quality dips in the middle. Off The Hook and One 2 The Two just don't do a lot for me. I honestly can't put my finger on why, but those two tracks just fail to grab my attention like the rest of the tracks do. I'm also surprised the album ends with Straight Mobbin as opposed to Gotta Stay Down. I think that Gotta Stay Down would have wrapped up the album really well, with Seagram discussing his inevitable death and the problems he has with his life. I'm giving this 4.5 stars. It seems like Seagram could have been more of a household name, but he didn't get the chance. R.I.P.

Highlights: Slingin The Yea, Flintstones, Gotta Stay Down, Straight Mobbin
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm

MVP - 4/5*

I really like this album a lot. They remind me of Bone Thugs, but more versatile, and with some Geto Boys-esque subject matter. If you liked E. Eternal 1999 then I highly recommend this album. It's a real laid back listen, but is also lyrically stimulating.

edit: I think I overstated the BTNH comp a little too much, but thats just because it's difficult to describe what they/he are like. Geto Boys, Bone Thugs, Brotha Lynch combined... kind of.... idk, all i know is i like it a lot. My favorite track is "Sleeping In Hell" not sure that's the title, just a guess but its track 7.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 1:12 am

Glad to see you diggin the CD more Half. And on point review Lundquist.

To progress the thread, maybe each review should be followed by a request to another participant. So you sort of have to review and then you "earn" a request for someone else and post it with your review.
Back to top Go down
Wanduras
Curren$y Stan
Curren$y Stan
Wanduras

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 2:42 am

Blue Sky Black Death - Noir

Being high makes this 100x better and being in the whip adds another100x.

I had no idea it was gonna be an instrumental album. I have never heard of the artist except for on the forum. This shit was pretty dope to me. A lot of the beats start out like some shit that you question what the fuck it is...and then it blends into a dope ass beat. I'm not really sure how to describe the style because it varies throughout. A little on the techno side at times but still with some hip hop elements. You can def spit some shit to most of the beats too, even though they aren't the typical hip hop beat. I didn't click with all the songs but it was dope overall. I'll say 3.5.

My favorites were:

Sleeping Children Are Still Flying
To The Ends Of The Earth
Farewell To The Former World
Fire For Light
Swords From Driftwood
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 4:05 am

I own Die Rugged Man, Die, Mr. Quist lol. It's a dope cd but not at all what I was expecting when I first bought. Truthfully, I was hoping for more of the dark shit he'd done independently (Smithaven Mall, Every Record Label Sucks Dick, Til My Heart Stops, Stanley Kubrick) or humorous (American Lowlife, White Trash Anthem) but this is traditional hip hop at it's core. The beats seem monotonous to me, but again, that's strictly because of the style RA chose to go with. The few beats that don't follow the typical boom bap format (How Low, Brawl, Midnight Thud) seem to come out of left field and although I enjoyed them more and they stood out, they also fucked up the flow of the cd. "Chains" is obviously the shining star of the cd as RA goes head to head with mc's who are no slouches in their own right and absolutely destroys them, lyrically and flow-wise. I would give this cd 4 stars, but some people think it's a classic and that's on them. Personally, I could do the warmed up leftovers being on a debut album (Brawl, On The Block) and the bonus track "I Shoulda Never" is also previously released and curiously has him using the n-word in the third person. Overall, it's a dope cd with a consistent sound overall but RA is the one that keeps things moving for me. I really couldn't stand to listen to a lot of mc's over these types of beats (G Rap, Kane, Pun, maybe) and while Night Of The Bloody Apes is just awful, I'd rec Legendary Classics way before this album.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 1:28 pm

thelundquist wrote:
MVP - 4/5*

I really like this album a lot. They remind me of Bone Thugs, but more versatile, and with some Geto Boys-esque subject matter. If you liked E. Eternal 1999 then I highly recommend this album. It's a real laid back listen, but is also lyrically stimulating.

edit: I think I overstated the BTNH comp a little too much, but thats just because it's difficult to describe what they/he are like. Geto Boys, Bone Thugs, Brotha Lynch combined... kind of.... idk, all i know is i like it a lot. My favorite track is "Sleeping In Hell" not sure that's the title, just a guess but its track 7.

Glad that you're digging the album. It's always been a personal favorite. It's just some dope Memphis ish. It's just laid back and chill type of album.
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

A Guest wrote:
I own Die Rugged Man, Die, Mr. Quist lol. It's a dope cd but not at all what I was expecting when I first bought. Truthfully, I was hoping for more of the dark shit he'd done independently (Smithaven Mall, Every Record Label Sucks Dick, Til My Heart Stops, Stanley Kubrick) or humorous (American Lowlife, White Trash Anthem) but this is traditional hip hop at it's core. The beats seem monotonous to me, but again, that's strictly because of the style RA chose to go with. The few beats that don't follow the typical boom bap format (How Low, Brawl, Midnight Thud) seem to come out of left field and although I enjoyed them more and they stood out, they also fucked up the flow of the cd. "Chains" is obviously the shining star of the cd as RA goes head to head with mc's who are no slouches in their own right and absolutely destroys them, lyrically and flow-wise. I would give this cd 4 stars, but some people think it's a classic and that's on them. Personally, I could do the warmed up leftovers being on a debut album (Brawl, On The Block) and the bonus track "I Shoulda Never" is also previously released and curiously has him using the n-word in the third person. Overall, it's a dope cd with a consistent sound overall but RA is the one that keeps things moving for me. I really couldn't stand to listen to a lot of mc's over these types of beats (G Rap, Kane, Pun, maybe) and while Night Of The Bloody Apes is just awful, I'd rec Legendary Classics way before this album.

That's about what I'd rate it. The main issue I have with the record is that some of the hooks are downright terrible, but besides that it is a legit ass album. I was kind of hoping you had never heard it (not sure why, i knew you had, i guess the different username screwed me up), but it's all good. You really think NOBA is that bad? I like the Crustified Dibbs persona a lot, but then again ODB is my 2nd favorite MC all-time, so go figure...

Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 3:04 pm

T. Myers wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
MVP - 4/5*

Glad that you're digging the album. It's always been a personal favorite. It's just some dope Memphis ish. It's just laid back and chill type of album.

yeah man, thanks for the rec, I'll be spinning this one a lot.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 3:13 pm

Wanduras wrote:
Blue Sky Black Death - Noir

Being high makes this 100x better and being in the whip adds another100x.

I had no idea it was gonna be an instrumental album. I have never heard of the artist except for on the forum. This shit was pretty dope to me. A lot of the beats start out like some shit that you question what the fuck it is...and then it blends into a dope ass beat. I'm not really sure how to describe the style because it varies throughout. A little on the techno side at times but still with some hip hop elements. You can def spit some shit to most of the beats too, even though they aren't the typical hip hop beat. I didn't click with all the songs but it was dope overall. I'll say 3.5.

My favorites were:

Sleeping Children Are Still Flying
To The Ends Of The Earth
Farewell To The Former World
Fire For Light
Swords From Driftwood

Haven't tried that yet...interesting

Nice review. You're right, its pretty far removed from hip hop. I like what they did with it though. After about a dozen spins it still sits in the 4-4.25 star range for me.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 3:14 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

To progress the thread, maybe each review should be followed by a request to another participant. So you sort of have to review and then you "earn" a request for someone else and post it with your review.

Yeah the album just opened up to me way more when I gave it full attention. And I agree with your idea, this thread is getting pretty disorderly.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 3:59 pm

Half wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Yeah the album just opened up to me way more when I gave it full attention. And I agree with your idea, this thread is getting pretty disorderly.

You know what SRP, why don't you start off the trend then...it is your idea after all. Review Reality Check by Seagram please.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jul 2011, 10:52 pm

we need to eventually take these reviews and make their own threads in them then make an ultimate review archive with all reviews listed alphabetcially...it would be an ongoing project but there are plenty of forums that have been successfull with it, i dont see why we cant
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 10:08 am

Slang Editorial wrote:
we need to eventually take these reviews and make their own threads in them then make an ultimate review archive with all reviews listed alphabetcially...it would be an ongoing project but there are plenty of forums that have been successfull with it, i dont see why we cant

Uh...maybe, but just keep 'em in here for now.

Where's that Dirty Weaponry submission at kid??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm

thelundquist wrote:
A Guest wrote:

That's about what I'd rate it. The main issue I have with the record is that some of the hooks are downright terrible, but besides that it is a legit ass album. I was kind of hoping you had never heard it (not sure why, i knew you had, i guess the different username screwed me up), but it's all good. You really think NOBA is that bad? I like the Crustified Dibbs persona a lot, but then again ODB is my 2nd favorite MC all-time, so go figure...

I like the persona just fine, but I think it's aged horribly and the beats just aren't my thing in the least. The hooks only bother me on a few songs on Die! (like On The Block) it's just mostly the departure in style and sound I wasn't expecting and surprisingly still haven't gotten over lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 3:09 pm

A Guest wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
A Guest wrote:

I like the persona just fine, but I think it's aged horribly and the beats just aren't my thing in the least. The hooks only bother me on a few songs on Die! (like On The Block) it's just mostly the departure in style and sound I wasn't expecting and surprisingly still haven't gotten over lol.

NOBA: I can understand that. Have you heard a version with good sound quality (if there's even one out there...)?

DRMD: Yeah, On the Block, Dumb; Die, Rugged Man, Die; How Low, Casanova, A Star Is Born: all those hooks bother me, but he merks every verse, and the beats are dope. I can't relate to the departure in style, only because this was the first project i heard of his, but i can see how one would feel that way, retrospectively.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jul 2011, 5:31 pm

thelundquist wrote:
A Guest wrote:
thelundquist wrote:
A Guest wrote:

NOBA: I can understand that. Have you heard a version with good sound quality (if there's even one out there...)?

DRMD: Yeah, On the Block, Dumb; Die, Rugged Man, Die; How Low, Casanova, A Star Is Born: all those hooks bother me, but he merks every verse, and the beats are dope. I can't relate to the departure in style, only because this was the first project i heard of his, but i can see how one would feel that way, retrospectively.

NOBA sounds good if you turn the volume up really loud...with all seriousness I prefer it to DRMD...slightly. I guess I need to hear Legendary Classics?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review That Album
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next