Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2

Go down 
+8
Dwight
Alan
Esco
Laced With Slang
Norfeest
D.Powell
T. Myers
E. Taylor
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Top 5, Top 10, or Neither
Top 5
Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Vote_lcap90%Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 90% [ 18 ]
Top 10
Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Neither
Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:46 pm

KRob86 wrote:
I'll just do all and go all out how about that...

What about crews/clicks?

Don't nominate someone who's already made the Top 10 soloists in the East though, because it's easily the toughest division. Anywhere else is fine though.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:46 pm

the east is so huge with duos and groups i think theres honestly 10 deserving duoes (whether that be 2 rappers or a rapper and producer/dj) and 10 deserving groups with at least 3 members...whether that be 2 rappers and a producer or 3+ rappers
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:49 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
eric b and rakim
pete rock and cl smooth
gang starr
smif n wessun
heltah skeltah
nice and smooth
method man and redman
mobb deep
Show & AG
organized konfusion
MOP
Kool G Rap and DJ Polo
Capon n Noreaga

good list Slang and a few of those would make my groups/duos list too, further proof that these guys need to be included here Kev
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:56 pm

Steve wrote:
Like I said, nobody has any issue with GROUPS of 2 or more rappers getting in/being voted on. You clowns cannot name 11. So take the L and just vote them with groups.

Cosign. A "duo best of" would be boring and not last too long anyway. And we'd being voting the same artists in for the 4th time.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 6:59 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

What about crews/clicks?

Don't nominate someone who's already made the Top 10 soloists in the East though, because it's easily the toughest division. Anywhere else is fine though.

I disagree. Who cares if they made the top rappers list. It was never a solo artist list anyway because a ton of the rappers that were nominated never had a solo record. When you consider the duo or group's discography alone, then the order and commentary should differ from poll to poll.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:04 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
the east is so huge with duos and groups i think theres honestly 10 deserving duoes (whether that be 2 rappers or a rapper and producer/dj)

A duo is a rapper and a DJ/Producer. Even if Eric B. didn't produce the tracks, he laid down the cuts. And their was a chemistry between him and Rakim. That is still a duo. I'd say any collective with 2 or more emcees is a group. Especially if we are talking east coast, they almost all had a DJ in the golden age anyway (regardless of multiple producers on the album). It would be tough to differentiate the two when doing these "greatest vote" games.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:05 pm

Alan wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:
the east is so huge with duos and groups i think theres honestly 10 deserving duoes (whether that be 2 rappers or a rapper and producer/dj)

A duo is a rapper and a DJ/Producer. Even if Eric B. didn't produce the tracks, he laid down the cuts. And their was a chemistry between him and Rakim. That is still a duo. I'd say any collective with 2 or more emcees is a group. Especially if we are talking east coast, they almost all had a DJ in the golden age anyway (regardless of multiple producers on the album). It would be tough to differentiate the two when doing these "greatest vote" games.

absolutely disagree a duo is 2 people, thats it theres no deeper defniteion. Mobb Deep is a rap duo, Outkast is a rap duo
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:13 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Alan wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

absolutely disagree a duo is 2 people, thats it theres no deeper defniteion. Mobb Deep is a rap duo, Outkast is a rap duo

That's true since Havoc did most of the production, but like I said, it'd be strange to separate them from all the other 2-rapper groups in the groups category of one of these lists. That's another reason why we should combine the two (duos and groups).

Aside from that, there is a whole different chemistry on an album when you have 2 rappers as opposed to one. It's not the same as a true emcee/producer duo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:17 pm

Havoc rapped nearly as much as P, just like UGK.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:18 pm

I've always followed the train of thought that if there are at least two rappers, they're a group.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:21 pm

its not the same dynamic i agree pounds, but 2 people = duo in my eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:22 pm

2 rappers and a random producer is WORLDS different from the same rapper and producer every time.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:25 pm

i know that i said its a different dynamic, but if theres 2 people i consider them a duo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:26 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

What about crews/clicks?

I disagree. Who cares if they made the top rappers list. It was never a solo artist list anyway because a ton of the rappers that were nominated never had a solo record. When you consider the duo or group's discography alone, then the order and commentary should differ from poll to poll.

My thing is, you're gonna see a lot of deserving groups fail to make the cut if you nominate Eric B. & Rakim and BDP.

Nobody thinks of Eric B when they think of Rakim, and the only person anyone thinks about when BDP is mentioned is KRS-One.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:28 pm

Steve wrote:
Havoc rapped nearly as much as P, just like UGK.

Yep

T. Myers wrote:
I've always followed the train of thought that if there are at least two rappers, they're a group.

Exactly

Slang Editorial wrote:
its not the same dynamic i agree pounds, but 2 people = duo in my eyes

Math has it's place. But musically what Terry just said makes more sense to me.

Steve wrote:
2 rappers and a random producer is WORLDS different from the same rapper and producer every time.

Yet another Exactly
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:30 pm

A DUO IS A GROUP, YES

BUT, A GROUP IS NOT A DUO. IF THERE ARE 2 MEMBERS IN A GROUP THEY ARE A DUO, IT DOESNT MATTER IF THEY ARE ALSO A GROUP, THEY ARE STILL A DUO CONSISTING OF 2 PEOPLE THAT ARE LISTED AS MEMBERS OF THE GROUP INSIDE OF THEIR CD BOOKLET
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:30 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

What about crews/clicks?

My thing is, you're gonna see a lot of deserving groups fail to make the cut if you nominate Eric B. & Rakim and BDP.

Nobody thinks of Eric B when they think of Rakim, and the only person anyone thinks about when BDP is mentioned is KRS-One.

I see your point, but the classic discogs speaks for themselves. The best work came out of their duo settings. I don't see how it can be ignored if we are letting all duos in (like Gang Starr for instance).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:32 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
A DUO IS A GROUP, YES

BUT, A GROUP IS NOT A DUO. IF THERE ARE 2 MEMBERS IN A GROUP THEY ARE A DUO, IT DOESNT MATTER IF THEY ARE ALSO A GROUP, THEY ARE STILL A DUO CONSISTING OF 2 PEOPLE THAT ARE LISTED AS MEMBERS OF THE GROUP INSIDE OF THEIR CD BOOKLET

Are you shouting?

Math does have it's place, but it's still musically different IMO. UGK sounds like just as much of a group as Outkast does, for instance. You really gonna split up those 2 groups when voting because one is technically a duo? lol

Last edited by Alan on Tue 25 Aug 2009, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:33 pm

Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
KRob86 wrote:

What about crews/clicks?

I see your point, but the classic discogs speaks for themselves. The best work came out of their duo settings. I don't see how it can be ignored if we are letting all duos in (like Gang Starr for instance).

Gang Starr deserves to make the cut, I'd hate to see them miss it due to the above circumstances.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:33 pm

Alan wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:
lmao @ the neither vote

Hate can be contagious. So I'm just glad whoever did it remained anonymous...

The east is pretty stacked, Norf. Some people prefer some styles over others as well. I see nothing wrong with it.

That said, as a collaborative group, Wu-Tang is not in my top 10. So I have to go neither since 36 Chambers is the only album I consistently spin from the crew. The other work is all solid, but I can't give a group top 10 if they only have 1 personal classic in my book. Especially since the personal classic doesn't get as much play as anything in my top 10.

That said, my top 10 from the east is:

A Tribe Called Quest
Beastie Boys
DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Gang Starr
Public Enemy
Run-DMC
The Roots
Digable Planets
X Clan

And I'd probably give top 10 to these guys before Wu Tang:

EPMD
Heavy D & The Boyz
Organized Konfusion
Poor Righteous Teachers

Obviously, Wu-Tang is objectively top 5-10, but that doesn't mean I personally listen to their music nearly as much as some east coast groups.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 578644

what's wrong Pounds???? are you okay man??? Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:34 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Alan wrote:
Kopasetick wrote:
lmao @ the neither vote

Hate can be contagious. So I'm just glad whoever did it remained anonymous...

The east is pretty stacked, Norf. Some people prefer some styles over others as well. I see nothing wrong with it.

That said, as a collaborative group, Wu-Tang is not in my top 10. So I have to go neither since 36 Chambers is the only album I consistently spin from the crew. The other work is all solid, but I can't give a group top 10 if they only have 1 personal classic in my book. Especially since the personal classic doesn't get as much play as anything in my top 10.

That said, my top 10 from the east is:

A Tribe Called Quest
Beastie Boys
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Gang Starr
Public Enemy
Run-DMC
The Roots
Digable Planets
X Clan

And I'd probably give top 10 to these guys before Wu Tang:

EPMD
Heavy D & The Boyz
Organized Konfusion
Poor Righteous Teachers

Obviously, Wu-Tang is objectively top 5-10, but that doesn't mean I personally listen to their music nearly as much as some east coast groups.

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 578644

what's wrong Pounds???? are you okay man??? Shaking My Head

Read the last sentence again if you're having issues.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:38 pm

lmao at the tornado

Outkast and UGK are both duos, and yes they are groups as well because a duo is a group

BUT, all im saying is that the east is very stacked in this department because of so many classic duos like eric b and rakim that i wouldnt mind seeing a greatest duos in the east and a greatest groups in the east so deserving groups dont lose spots to groups like eric b and rakim and bdp when they are essentially rakim and krs
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:39 pm

Pounds you NEITHERED WU-TANG CLAN man...that's pitiful my dude!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:50 pm

D.Powell wrote:

Yeah, and you have Illmind and Khrysis in your top 50 producers. Phonte is a top 20 rapper to you, and you claim 9th Wonder is better than pioneers such as Rick Rubin. That is more pitiful because you actually objectively feel it's true, where I concede that my opinion is just that - my opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 7:57 pm

My guess is that Jeff is the other neither vote. Pathetic!

It's not that I don't respect your opinion Pounds, it's just that I wholeheartedly disagree.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:04 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
My guess is that Jeff is the other neither vote. Pathetic!

It's not that I don't respect your opinion Pounds, it's just that I wholeheartedly disagree.

Thank you. I wasn't looking for a "co-sign". The respect is all I ask from an honest and thorough explanation. Which Powell apparently can't read, or comprehend.

That list is just who pleases my ears most (no homo?).
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:08 pm

Alan wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Yeah, and you have Illmind and Khrysis in your top 50 producers. Phonte is a top 20 rapper to you, and you claim 9th Wonder is better than pioneers such as Rick Rubin. That is more pitiful because you actually objectively feel it's true, where I concede that my opinion is just that - my opinion.

Umm Pounds stop talking for me dude...you need some kids to control man...you need a GIRL..lol

but that's another topic...on this one everything you just listed is MY OPINION just like you NEITHERED WU-TANG CLAN...Think Big Jess is popular and love CONAN...lol

PITIFUL

🐉
Back to top Go down
Alan
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:16 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Alan wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Umm Pounds stop talking for me dude...you need some kids to control man...you need a GIRL..lol

but that's another topic...on this one everything you just listed is MY OPINION just like you NEITHERED WU-TANG CLAN...Think Big Jess is popular and love CONAN...lol

PITIFUL

🐉

You mean....(?)

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Rs743conan-o-brien-rolling-stone-no-743-september-1996-posters

I suppose Conan O'Brien is pretty cool in my book...
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:50 pm

Steve wrote:
There aren't enough duos to do them separate

Kool G. Rap & DJ Polo
Pete Rock & CL Smooth
Eric B. & Rakim
Gangstarr
Black Star
Mobb Deep
Illegal
Cash Money & Marvelous
EPMD
Method Man & Redman
Finesse & Synquis
UMC's
Kid N' Play
Salt N' Pepa (?)
Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock
Das EFX
Dead Prez
Organized Konfusion
Artifacts
PM Dawn (lol...)
Nice & Smooth
Black Sheep
The Beatnuts
Showbiz & AG
Camp Lo
Jungle Brothers (?)
3rd Bass
7l & Esoteric
UMC's
C.N.N.
Cella Dwellas
Young Gunz
PhD
NYGz
M.O.P.
Heltah Skeltah
Group Home
Dr. Jeckyll & Mr. Hyde
The High and Mighty
Channel Live
Punchline & Wordsworth
Ill Al Skratch
Lord Tariq & Peter Gunz

And that's just the east.

I'm sure there are more...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:53 pm

Hey Norm, why don't you do a little reading, and then delete, hmm, your whole list? Thanks...
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:58 pm

Actually, that was sent a looooong time ago. No idea why it's posting now.

So, no...no I won't.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 25 Aug 2009, 8:59 pm

lol, fair enough
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug 2009, 2:20 am

"Nobody thinks of Eric B when they think of Rakim,"

Well... when someone thinks of Rakim and "Paid In Full" comes up... that's an Eric B. & Rakim record... just sayin'
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 26 Aug 2009, 7:51 am

Top 5.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2   Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Greatest Grps (East) #2
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2