Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]

Go down 
+29
Myestro
Cold Loungin
Justin Linker
ACRID"
Norfeest
Dang! Trotter
Undisputed
Purple Haze
arokone
Cory
Justice
Deanie O'Banion
Jason
gametheory91
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Highsmith
Z-membu
Half
E. Taylor
Xcel
Dwight
J. Harris
Laced With Slang
Shaun
Esco
TheHazardous
Alan
T. Myers
Funk Seoul Brother
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage

Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Empty
PostSubject: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:14 pm

Nothing against anyone personally, but all those pictures in the other threads have me not checking for them any more, so this is a new one for those who feel the same:

Just bought:

Blueprint 1-3
Raekwon - OBFCL10

Last edited by The Real Real Jeru on Thu 10 Sep 2009, 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:17 pm

Just bought:

Illmatic
ATLiens
Revolutionary Volume 2
Midnight Marauders

SO YES I DO SUPPORT HIP HOP! Big Grin
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:23 pm

I hate the pictures too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:25 pm

word up to the motha.

copped Atmosphere- Leakage yesterday. About to go cop BP3 and CL2 soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

Did they release Atmosphere on CD?

Or you DL that?

And good buys Cise

i do not bump 1 or 4 but I hear people like them....
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:35 pm

I need to order physical copies of Strictly Leakage and Leak at Will
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 7:37 pm

smdd

do that and youre dead to me terry
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 8:03 pm

The Real Real Jeru wrote:

I have it on CD, and on (very limited edition) wax.
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 8:37 pm

Jean Grae-Attack of the Attacking Things (cost $4) [people don't know what the hell they are selling] *smh*

I've been bumping my now official copies of The Realness & True Meaning

And bumping Avalanches-Since I Left You
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 8:37 pm

The Real Real Jeru wrote:

Or you DL that?

And good buys Cise

i do not bump 1 or 4 but I hear people like them....

I bought it from fifthelement
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 8:41 pm

TheHazardous wrote:
Jean Grae-Attack of the Attacking Things (cost $4) [people don't know what the hell they are selling] *smh*

I've been bumping my now official copies of The Realness & True Meaning

And bumping Avalanches-Since I Left You

Did you get the double disc?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 9:53 pm

Raekwon- CL2
Jay Z- BP3
Back to top Go down
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 9:53 pm

thank god for this thread, the other one takes to damn long to load, so I don't even check for it.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 10:41 pm

Tran bought Atmosphere's leakage
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 11:30 pm

i agree with SRP's first post entirely about the pictures
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 11:36 pm

Hey Clancey, if you liked BRL then you'll love Midnight Marauders, and we both know how classic Illmatic is whether some wanna acknowledge it or not.

My recent purchases.....

Raekwon- OB4CL2
Keith Murray- The Most Beautifullest Thing In This World
Senim Silla- The Name, The Motto, The Outcome
Nappy Roots- The Humdinga
Beanie Sigel- The Broad Street Bully
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeTue 08 Sep 2009, 11:42 pm

Yessir, Special Edition
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 12:25 am

The pics got on my nerves too. Anyway, I'm waiting on:

Pumkinhead-Orange Moon Over Brooklyn
The Roots-Phrenology
J Live-All of the Above

Non Rap:

Nneka-Victim of Truth
Nneka-No Longer At Ease
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 2:28 am

Best Buy purchases-

Jay-Z- Blueprint 3
Jay-Z- The Blueprint Collector's Edition
Raekwon- Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Pt. 2

Amazon purchases-

The Roots- Things Fall Apart
Cypress Hill- Black Sunday
Daz Dillinger- Retaliation, Revenge and Get Back
Tha Alkaholiks- Likwidation
Leaders Of The New School- A Future Without a Past...
Nappy Roots- Wooden Leather
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 8:12 am

Things Fall Apart is awesome. Nice buy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 10:08 am

Hey C Tran good buy on that Daz and Nappy Roots albums let me know what you think later.

And KJ you bought Beans new album and not Hov? Shocked
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 10:13 am

I agree Kev. I can understand people who are not fans of Jay passing on the album, but i don't see why fans of Jay would not like the album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 10:15 am

Almighty - Original S.I.N.
Army Of The Pharaohs - Torture Papers, Ritual Of Battle
Black Market Militia
Mr. SOS - How I Learned To Stop Worrying...
PackFM - WhatduzFMstand4
Decompoze - Decomposition
Cunninlynguists - A Piece Of Strange
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 10:17 am

T. Myers wrote:
I agree Kev. I can understand people who are not fans of Jay passing on the album, but i don't see why fans of Jay would not like the album.

Yeah man thats how you know Jay is one of the best because he has set the bar so high album wise and consistancy wise we judge his albums harder. I have only listened to it one time and it is not all that right now but it is still a solid album.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 10:24 am

KRob86 wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Yeah man thats how you know Jay is one of the best because he has set the bar so high album wise and consistancy wise we judge his albums harder. I have only listened to it one time and it is not all that right now but it is still a solid album.

BP3 doesn't compete with his best albums, but it's still solid. People expect too much from Jay, and he's easy to hate. while on the other hand, everyone loves Wu, and they've been craving the new Rae album. IMO, that perception makes people believe that OB4CL2 is light years ahead of BP3. when in actuality, there probably isn't more than a .5 star difference between them.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 11:13 am

" IMO, that perception makes people believe that OB4CL2 is light years ahead of BP3. when in actuality, there probably isn't more than a .5 star difference between them."

I call bullshit on that one man. Rae was focused as hell on the new album, while Jay tried his best to appeal to the masses. .5 difference? More like 2-3 star difference. Rae worked his ass off on the new album, while Jay just gathered some sub-par beats and incorporated a lot of pop shit on BP3. There were a few good songs on BP3, but that's it. Sorry T, but I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. OB4CL 2 is far superior.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 11:24 am

Was Rae really focused, or was the album presented in a way to make you think he was focused? Don't get me wrong. I like OB4CL2 a lot, and it's his best album since his debut. However, the album is front loadedI don't see how anyone can can give the second half of that album more than 3.5 stars. even combined with the 5 star first half, the album shouldn't be higher than 4.25 stars. I personally don't see fans of Jay giving BP3 less than 3.75 stars. Is Jay cabable of better? Of Course he is, but BP3 is still a servicable album. Like i said, the anticipation of Rae's album and the fact that Jay is easy to hate create the illusion that OB4CL2 is vastly superior. I just don't see the wide gap.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 11:34 am

Come on T. Majority of BP3 was almost intolerable. Throwing some music together and calling it BP3 was smart for Jay because he knew people would buy into that shit. I'm sorry man, but pop is pop. Too much throwaway shit on there. When you know you can do better, why release half-assed music?? How many times do we have to hear Jay speaking on this wealth, businesses, and 10 previous albums ?? Not to mention the sub-par beats. He is on an ego trip. Rae gave us hip hop in its rawest form on his new joint. I'm sorry man, but there is no illusion to OB4CL 2 being superior.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 11:46 am

The pictures were getting old in the other thread, so this is a good idea. I would of bought Cuban Linx 2 yesterday but the two Best Buys I went to didn't even have it while they had a ridiculous amount of Blueprint 3s, SMH.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 11:53 am

"I would of bought Cuban Linx 2 yesterday but the two Best Buys I went to didn't even have it....."

Hey man. That happened yesterday to me as well. I had to make the service representative go check in the back and grab me a copy. Altogether, I spent more time in the store than I planned. They had 6 copies total of Rae's joint. What's up with that? Do you think that was done on purpose? I'm pretty sure the distribution company would have enough copies readily available due to the anticipation of the album.
Back to top Go down
Dwight
Dwight

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 11:57 am

J. Harris wrote:
"I would of bought Cuban Linx 2 yesterday but the two Best Buys I went to didn't even have it....."

Hey man. That happened yesterday to me as well. I had to make the service representative go check in the back and grab me a copy. Altogether, I spent more time in the store than I planned. They had 6 copies total of Rae's joint. What's up with that? Do you think that was done on purpose? I'm pretty sure the distribution company would have enough copies readily available due to the anticipation of the album.

I dono why they didn't have any. I asked somebody to check too but they didn't have any in the store. Fuck Best Buy. Smile
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 12:12 pm

"I dono why they didn't have any. I asked somebody to check too but they didn't have any in the store. Fuck Best Buy."

Lol! I hope this wasn't done on purpose to offset sales for Rae considering Best Buy is one of the primary stores people flock to. I can't believe they only had 6 copies!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 12:37 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KRob86 wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

BP3 doesn't compete with his best albums, but it's still solid. People expect too much from Jay, and he's easy to hate. while on the other hand, everyone loves Wu, and they've been craving the new Rae album. IMO, that perception makes people believe that OB4CL2 is light years ahead of BP3. when in actuality, there probably isn't more than a .5 star difference between them.

Exactly, Jay was doomed from the start because he is Jay. Nothing on that new album is "pop" imo, let's not take his popular status and try to dumb his music down as "pop". Terry I agree with you all the way, you broke it down just like I was thinking. From a first listen of BP3 I got it at 3.75 and CL2 at 4.0 but with more listens who knows. People always try to imply I or/and others are blindly following Jay but I just hate how people try to cut him down so much because he is so high.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 12:38 pm

My Best Buy had two shelves full of Rae albums and most were gone when I got there.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm

Today I picked up:

OB4CL2
BP3
Common Sense- Can I Borrow A Dollar?
KRS-One- KRS-One
DJ Quik- Balance & Options
Company FLow- Funcrusher Plus (OG copy for 6.99 at FYE!!)
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:00 pm

"Nothing on that new album is "pop" imo"

Kev, you don't think songs like Off That, Mars/Venus, On to the Next One, and Run This Town aren't pop?????!! Forget about Jay's popular status man. I'm specifically speaking on the album only.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:04 pm

Hell no they are not "pop" , Run This Town is the closest imo but that is just more radio friendly. When I think "pop" I think Right Round, My Humps, Walk It Out, Change Clothes, Jumping Out The Window, Throw It In The Bag, etc. you know that easy soft shit.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:10 pm

"you know that easy soft shit."

LOL.

I would rather say more radio friendly than anything. I know what you mean in regards to straight pop, but Jay just didn't bring it on the majority of this CD. You can't honestly say you will driving around or at home bumping and rhyming along to the aforementioned songs in my last post.

For example: "yadadadad....im off that/yaddadadada........im off that" Come on man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:15 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Was Rae really focused, or was the album presented in a way to make you think he was focused? Don't get me wrong. I like OB4CL2 a lot, and it's his best album since his debut. However, the album is front loadedI don't see how anyone can can give the second half of that album more than 3.5 stars. even combined with the 5 star first half, the album shouldn't be higher than 4.25 stars. I personally don't see fans of Jay giving BP3 less than 3.75 stars. Is Jay cabable of better? Of Course he is, but BP3 is still a servicable album. Like i said, the anticipation of Rae's album and the fact that Jay is easy to hate create the illusion that OB4CL2 is vastly superior. I just don't see the wide gap.

BP3 CLEARLY had a pop theme and was clearly made for that audience, that's why I don't rate it very highly.

I'm one of the biggest Jay fans on this forum and I own ALL of his albums, and BP3 is clearly one of his worst. Steve talks about his lyrics on this album, well he's spit MUCH stronger lyrics in the past. Jay has always been a dope lyricist, but I don't like the direction that he's gone with this album. I honestly can't see more than 3.5 stars for BP3. While there are a few dope songs on it, nothing on it ranks with Jay's dopest tracks.

OB4CL2 on the other hand, is another Wu-banger. While it's not a classic like it's predecessor, it's easily the best Wu-release since Fishscale. I also disagree with you when you say that the second half is only 3.5 stars. I think that Broken Safety, Ason Jones, 10 Bricks, We Will Rob You, and Kiss The Ring are BANGERS.

I'm a bigger Jay fan than Wu fan (although I love both) but I think Wu smashed Jay in terms of quality when comparing these two albums. Even RapReviews gave Jay 5/10 and they usually give Jay albums high marks. While I don't rate it quite that low, I still see it as a disappointment by Jay-Z standards and Raekwon's album exceeded my expectations big time. I give OB4CL2 4.25-4.5 stars, which makes it among the best albums of the year.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:17 pm

Rapreveiws e-raped Jay's album
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:24 pm

That's exactly my point KJ. Fans are pleased with a 4 star album from Rae, but angered over a 3.5 star record from Jay. I've openly admited that BP3 is not among HIS best, but why does that have anything to do with Rae's album? People are judging Jay's album compared to his The Black Album, Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, American Gangster, and Vol. 1, and Rae is being judged compared to Immobilarity and Lex Diamond. when in reality, we should be comparing ob4cl2 to bp3.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:38 pm

I'm not clearly a fan of Jay. Although, I dug Reasonable Doubt, and I will say that is his best. After that, I only felt some tracks on BP 1, Black Album, AG, BP3, and that's about it. Also, the tracks he did with MOP and Funk Flex were crazy dope.

"I'm a bigger Jay fan than Wu fan"

Really??? To each his own, but damn. I find Wu to be one of the most consistent heavyweights in the game, and their catalog pretty much says it all (even other artists' side projects/compilation). Every group/artist has some album faults, but I feel Wu is more of a driving force in hip hop.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:43 pm

No offense J. Harris, but the fact that you don't care for BP1, Black Album, and AG(all of which are widely considered 4.5 stars or better) would eliminate you from the discussion. I'm not saying your points and opinions aren't valid, but Jay was already behind the 8bal with you. Wu as an entity is may be larger than Jay, but Rae by himself is not. His track record is boo boo at best. I'm sure someone will throw out OB4CL, but i think RZA's resume and Ghost's resume would indicate who the driving forces were behind that abum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:48 pm

T. Myers wrote:
That's exactly my point KJ. Fans are pleased with a 4 star album from Rae, but angered over a 3.5 star record from Jay. I've openly admited that BP3 is not among HIS best, but why does that have anything to do with Rae's album? People are judging Jay's album compared to his The Black Album, Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, American Gangster, and Vol. 1, and Rae is being judged compared to Immobilarity and Lex Diamond. when in reality, we should be comparing ob4cl2 to bp3.

First of all, remember than unlike a number of people in this forum, I AM a Jay-Z fan. Those on here that aren't Jay fans like J Harris and Yogi, their opinions on Jay don't matter because they aren't gonna rate Jay highly even if he makes a classic. They probably haven't even given the album an honest listen. But I have, and as a Jay fan, this one's a let down.

I am comparing the two albums, and I feel that OB4CL2 has more replay value than BP3.

Personally, I'd rate Vol 2 and Vol 3 over it as well. The Dynasty is probably about even with BP3, but tracks like I Just Wanna Love You, This Can't Be Life, Soon You'll Understand, and 1-900-Hustler are better than most tracks found on BP3.

I personally think Jay phoned it in with this release, with the attitude of "My fans will support me no matter what". While I'm still a Jay fan, and always will be, I consider this release to be a let down. I agree that Jay has a stronger discog than Rae overall, but when you set the bar that highly, that's the standard by which you're gonna be held.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 1:54 pm

I think you're missing the point KJ. I can't say ob4cl2 is not the better album, but people are disappointed in jay while heaping praise on Rae. However, there isn't a huge gap in ratings. why is that?
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 2:01 pm

"but Rae by himself is not. His track record is boo boo at best. I'm sure someone will throw out OB4CL, but i think RZA's resume and Ghost's resume would indicate who the driving forces were behind that abum."

I didn't even point Rae out in regards to my last post. You did that for me. I was speaking for the entire Wu. Also, we all know that Ghost and RZA were driving forces behind OB4CL 1, but to discount Rae on that joint is foolish. That dude jack-hammered the mic on that album and is a masterful lyricist. If it wasn't for Rae, that album never would have been made. This also goes for the 2nd OB4CL. So technically, he was the primary force behind the album. Also, Immobilarity wasn't really accepted due to the beats taking a different direction, but the lyrics were on point.

As for Jay, IMO, it seems he got carried away in the limelight after RD. Streets Is Watching was a highlight in that period, but IML Vol. 1,2,3, and Roc La Familia were his descent to commercial acceptance. After the millennium, there were a few more road bumps for this cat. So, how can you say Rae has a boo boo track record? Jay had more shit that hit the fan than Rae did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 2:02 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think you're missing the point KJ. I can't say ob4cl2 is not the better album, but people are disappointed in jay while heaping praise on Rae. However, there isn't a huge gap in ratings. why is that?

I can't speak for everyone, but I rate OB4CL2 a full point over BP3.

As I explained with the last post. Jay has a history of putting out albums above 4 stars. BP3 is below 4 stars IMO, hence it's a disappointment. When you set the bar as highly as Jay has, and you don't reach that bar, it's gonna be considered a let down. Maybe it's a bit unfair, but it's reality. The only albums that I'd truly rank BP3 over are Kingdom Come and the god-awful BP2.

As for Rae, the reason for his praise is because this album shines very brightly in a year which has produced NO consensus classics thus far. So OB4CL2 is considered one of the year's best.
Back to top Go down
J. Harris
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 2:06 pm

"Those on here that aren't Jay fans like J Harris and Yogi, their opinions on Jay don't matter because they aren't gonna rate Jay highly even if he makes a classic. They probably haven't even given the album an honest listen."

I def listened to the entire album as a whole. I wouldn't be on here criticizing it if I didn't. Even though I'm not a fan of his, I'm not going to discount him making a good album. I know he is capable of making a dope hip hop joint, but shit, BP3?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 2:53 pm

T. Myers wrote:
No offense J. Harris, but the fact that you don't care for BP1, Black Album, and AG(all of which are widely considered 4.5 stars or better) would eliminate you from the discussion. I'm not saying your points and opinions aren't valid, but Jay was already behind the 8bal with you. Wu as an entity is may be larger than Jay, but Rae by himself is not. His track record is boo boo at best. I'm sure someone will throw out OB4CL, but i think RZA's resume and Ghost's resume would indicate who the driving forces were behind that abum.

Exactly J Harris does not like jay so what he says about his albums is really N/A....and KJ maybe you were expecting to much from this album but hey you can't please everybody. I felt the same way about Face Emeritus and we all know how I feel about him. So you not feeling Jay is no problem but what Terry is saying Rae had no choice really but to go up Jay has one of the strongest catalogs in rap history so the firing sqaud is out on him quicker.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitimeWed 09 Sep 2009, 2:54 pm

This is just a double standard. People are comparing BP3 with BP1 and then saying they are comparing OB4CL2 with #1 but they are not.

Of course BP3 will not be touching BP1 so to make their point they rate it lower than it should be to try to create that distance.

But then they don't turn around and do the same for OB4CL2. The way people are talking they are saying this album comes close to touching Pt. 1? Really, is that a statement you are willing to stand behind?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]   Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recent Purchases and Spins [NO PICTURES ALLOWED]
Page 1 of 20Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next