Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!

Go down 
+10
Norfeest
Alan
arokone
E. Taylor
T. Myers
D.Powell
Funk Seoul Brother
Laced With Slang
Half
Esco
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

80's or 00's?
80's
I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Vote_lcap53%I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 53% [ 10 ]
00's
I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Vote_lcap47%I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 47% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage

I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 1:18 pm

The thread title clearly says "prefer" - meaning opinion - so all this pointless jibber jabber jive talk about what decade is the "best" is pretty pointless.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 1:46 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Chuck D and Just-Ice and N.W.A. and Ice-T and X-Clan and The Jungle Brothers and many many other emcees would completely disagree with you Kev about the 80's being just dope mostly party rhymes...lol

Kev..your in your 30's just like I am but yet you keep talking like C.Tran...like your completely clueless about your hip-hop history and I'm wondering why man?? I know you've discussed not having access completely to the music during that time span and I'm hoping this is why your writing such ignorance....real talk Kev..shit like this and a bunch of other stuff you've written in this thread just screams of ignorance and makes you sound like a certain 23 year old from Seattle who doesn't own many hip-hop catalogs from before 1999....come on Kev..cut this bullshit out man!

And yet I own around 400 (estimation) hip hop cds before 1999 . Keep making assumption bro, I've stated many times I can dig old school albums. Just because I don't dig some of your favorites you get all butt hurt and shit. Shaking My Head
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 3:31 pm

Lionel Hutz wrote:
The thread title clearly says "prefer" - meaning opinion - so all this pointless jibber jabber jive talk about what decade is the "best" is pretty pointless.

of course it's all opinion based SRP..but wouldn't you agree that your OPINION should at least be informed?? does that make sense at all??

most of the heads on here saying they prefer the 00's don't really know that much about 80's hip-hop..they just don't go back that far due to age...or not having exposure to the music and culture back then..etc.etc...so these numbers listed here are all out of wack IMO.....their giving an opinion on something they don't really understand...let's put up a topic/poll about the different ways to perform heart surgery and let's all give our uniformed opinions about it and see if that makes any sense as well....lol...opinions are to be respected but I at least want informed opinions when presenting them instead of saying something sounds outdated....that's corny man...like alot of the polls Lounge put up when he was doing the best albums of all-time I didn't even answer because I didn't have enough information on a few of those artists he threw out...does any of this make sense SRP???
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 4:26 pm

I think the only one who has shown their ignorance regarding 80's hip hop is Tran(with not owning a single Run DMC album and whatnot). The others seem to be well informed regarding the 80's. Not agreeing with you doesn't make them any less informed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 4:46 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I think the only one who has shown their ignorance regarding 80's hip hop is Tran(with not owning a single Run DMC album and whatnot). The others seem to be well informed regarding the 80's. Not agreeing with you doesn't make them any less informed.

I disagree with that. Tran is the only one who has openly admitted to his lack of 80's knowledge, but he's not the only one who isn't informed. You can see it in their posts and participation (or lack thereof) in certain topics.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 4:57 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

I disagree with that. Tran is the only one who has openly admitted to his lack of 80's knowledge, but he's not the only one who isn't informed. You can see it in their posts and participation (or lack thereof) in certain topics.

Tran, Jason, Kev, and Pounds are really the only ones on here who've openly stated they prefer the 00's. Which of those do you considered uninformed and why?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 5:02 pm

T. Myers wrote:

Hey Terry..is Cise informed about 80's hip-hop?? how about Esco?? what about Jason?? how about SRP?? I guess this question is best left to them to answer huh?? I know at many different times it has been seen that their knowledge as well as that of Tranny is not as vast about 80's hip-hop...hey it's no big deal if they don't agree with me or not...you made that a big deal...I could really care less because I know that my knowledge of 80's hip-hop is solid baby bubba and I'm arguing with kids on a subject that they really don't know much about...just like my knowledge of Blue Scholars or Silver Jews or Andre Nickatina is limited and I know they know MUCH more than I do about those subjects...their knowledge of 80's hip-hop is limited...plain and simple...stop taking up for them man...let them answer the questions for themselves
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 7:54 pm

T. Myers wrote:

smh holy fucking killer whale. Don't own a Run DMC album and that equals ignorance.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 7:56 pm

Some of yall are ignorant as hell. Oh, you love Common Market and don't like KRS One? You ain't hip hop.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 8:02 pm

And I didn't vote in this thread.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 8:09 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

For the very first time I cosign this shit. I never once said I know a lot in 80s hip hop, never once. So how the fuck can I be showing ignorance? How???? I didn't vote in this thread for a fucking reason.
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 9:54 pm

What do you want to talk about from the 80s? JVC Force? Tone Loc? LL? The Treacherous Three? Stetsasonic? Kurtis Blow? MC Shan? Egyptian Lover?

I'm informed just fine about the 80s, but I prefer the production values, lyrical style, and complex, conversational flows that only really emerged in the last few years of the 80s, and I don't think were fully realized on a wide scale until the 90s. Not to mention that Hip-Hop didn't seem to really become album oriented until well into the 80s, and I tend to be an album oriented listener.

I listen to music that was recorded as far back as the 1920s, so I'm not gonna abstain from having an opinion for being a handful of years removed from 80s Hip-Hop. It's actually a pretty big slight to 80s Hip-Hop to suggest that it so quickly became of the time that people who heard it just some years after the fact can't form a solid opinion about it. Of course it's not the same opinion of someone who was a certain age to experience that stuff at the time, but the same can be said of people of a different generation not being able to fully appreciate 00's Hip-Hop in the same way as someone coming of age. Opinions are always relative, it doesn't really make them any more or less valid, it just means they come from a different place.

Last edited by Jason on Fri 02 Apr 2010, 10:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 10:01 pm

Victor Shade wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

smh holy fucking killer whale. Don't own a Run DMC album and that equals ignorance.

Shake your head all you want, but not owning a single album from an act that virtually everyone in hip hop owes a debt of gratitude to is the epitome of ignorance IMO. And before you fly off the handle, you and a few others should look up the definition of ignorant. You may be surprised with how many people use the word incorrectly. Their is absolutely no reason for a hip hop fan to not own Raising Hell or their self titled debut. Anyone not familiar with these albums is behind the 8ball IMO. It's like an American History major not being familiar with George Washington.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 10:12 pm

Well your opinion is wrong, sir.
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 10:17 pm

I know their impact, just because I don't own their album doesn't mean I'm behind on them. I've heard plenty of their songs, I never once down them. Never once question their impact on hip hop or even their quality of music. So no, I am not ignorant because I don't own any of their albums.
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 10:35 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Man get off me and the south please because I prefer the west and east a tad over it anyway.

i was kinda surprised to read that, always thought you lean toward south side Kev..

i voted 80's.

heh heh, poor Tran, it's easter time and you're getting crucified like geezus... see what you get for being honest hahaha

not referring to you Tran, but everyone has gaps in knowledge, strengths and weaknesses... sometimes, like a role playing video game! if you focus specifically on building your strength of attack, then other skills may lack, like your magic skills. And then if you try to use your magic when you haven't quite the skill, things could go wrong, and the dragons might eat you 🐉
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 10:42 pm

D.Powell wrote:
[opinions are to be respected but I at least want informed opinions when presenting them instead of saying something sounds outdated....that's corny man...like alot of the polls Lounge put up when he was doing the best albums of all-time I didn't even answer because I didn't have enough information on a few of those artists he threw out...

respect man, i think that is a most fair way of thinking. I reckon a few of the neither voters who may have never heard certain things but still vote may go by a gut feelings that something is just unlikely to appeal to them and they won't like it, which is understandable, just doesn't necessarily leave it with all together clean poll, if that matters. Oh well its all fun
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 02 Apr 2010, 11:12 pm

Jason wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Alan wrote:
80s got the bigger and better classics, but overall, I'm going to have to go quantity over quality and vote for the 00s.

Pounds, C'Mon Son! That makes absolutely no sense. Quality beats quantity every time. Hence the 80's were superior to the 00's.

For those who like the 00's better, ask yourself this question. Ten years from now, will the stone cold classics from the 00's be remembered on the same scale as albums like It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, Straight Outta Compton, Paid In Full, Raising Hell, Criminal Minded, By All Means Neccessary, The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick, Licensed To Ill, Follow The Leader, 3 Feet High & Rising, Grip It On That Other Level, and the like? Maybe a few but not many. Hell, there really aren't many consensus classics from the last ten years.

We're talking about personal preference, so I don't give a fuck about consensus classics or if anyone other than me remembers an album. There are definitely albums I see myself still listening to 10 years for now.

Exactly. Classic shmassic. It being a personal classic is all I really care about. I have more from the 00s is all I'm saying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Apr 2010, 12:13 am

I'm completely ignorant of the 1980s. The only album I own from the 80s is the World Class Wreckin' Cru... turn off the lights...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Apr 2010, 12:36 am

haha dre should be ashamed of himself. What about The Fly
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Apr 2010, 10:30 am

Jason wrote:
What do you want to talk about from the 80s? JVC Force? Tone Loc? LL? The Treacherous Three? Stetsasonic? Kurtis Blow? MC Shan? Egyptian Lover?

I'm informed just fine about the 80s, but I prefer the production values, lyrical style, and complex, conversational flows that only really emerged in the last few years of the 80s, and I don't think were fully realized on a wide scale until the 90s. Not to mention that Hip-Hop didn't seem to really become album oriented until well into the 80s, and I tend to be an album oriented listener.

I listen to music that was recorded as far back as the 1920s, so I'm not gonna abstain from having an opinion for being a handful of years removed from 80s Hip-Hop. It's actually a pretty big slight to 80s Hip-Hop to suggest that it so quickly became of the time that people who heard it just some years after the fact can't form a solid opinion about it. Of course it's not the same opinion of someone who was a certain age to experience that stuff at the time, but the same can be said of people of a different generation not being able to fully appreciate 00's Hip-Hop in the same way as someone coming of age. Opinions are always relative, it doesn't really make them any more or less valid, it just means they come from a different place.

LMAO!!! Hey Jase just because you know the names of a few 80's hip-hop acts doesn't mean you know 80's hip-hop...you do have some knowledge but that doesn't mean you know 80's hip-hop...like that comment about hip-hop albums and the 80's..and hip-hop not becoming album oriented until WELL into the 80's..lol

well:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8th_Wonder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Message_(Grandmaster_Flash_and_the_Furious_Five_album)

Both of those above came out in 1982...so I'm not sure how WELL into the 80's your talking Jase and these are two legendary groups dropping those joints man...also:

Run-D.M.C.-Run-D.M.C. (1984)
Whodini-Escape (1984)
LL Cool J-Radio (1985)
Mantronix-The Album (1985)

WELL would mean 1987 and after to me...lol

like I said you have some knowledge but still have a looong way to go which is why I respect your opinion regarding 80's hip-hop but still know your a little bit misinformed and that's okay...your only 24...your supposed to be!

Last edited by D.Powell on Sat 03 Apr 2010, 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Apr 2010, 10:44 am

T. Myers wrote:
Victor Shade wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Shake your head all you want, but not owning a single album from an act that virtually everyone in hip hop owes a debt of gratitude to is the epitome of ignorance IMO. And before you fly off the handle, you and a few others should look up the definition of ignorant. You may be surprised with how many people use the word incorrectly. Their is absolutely no reason for a hip hop fan to not own Raising Hell or their self titled debut. Anyone not familiar with these albums is behind the 8ball IMO. It's like an American History major not being familiar with George Washington.

CO-SIGNAGE.....if your a hip-hop fan or at least you consider yourself to be one of the die-hards and you don't own anything by Run-D.M.C....I don't give a shit if your 12 years old right now...then you are behind EVERYTHING that reps hip-hop...plain and simple...that group means to much to the culture (and this includes Jam Master Jay) to not have ANYTHING that they have ever made...even if your not feeling them...you should own something by them just to be familiar...samething with being an r&b fan...if you don't own anything by Michael Jackson, then you should be kicked in your balls again and again....he means to much to the genre to not own anything by him but yet you call yourself an r&b/music fan.....
Back to top Go down
Jason
Jason

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 03 Apr 2010, 11:00 am

I didn't say there we no albums in the early 80s, but my impression is that the emphasis was placed more greatly on singles, sort of akin to the punk scene at the time. Well into the 80s means 84 or 85 to me, with the emergence of Run-D.M.C., Def Jam and more recognition by major labels of Hip-Hop's marketing potential. I'd bet that if even you listed your greatest albums from the 80s, it would be heavily weighted to 85-89. That's my point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!   I prefer 00's decade over the 80's! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I prefer 00's decade over the 80's!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2