Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make

Go down 
+6
D.Powell
Justin Linker
Laced With Slang
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Shaun
T. Myers
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Esco
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Esco

Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 12:38 pm

Cornholio wrote:
Esco wrote:
Cornholio wrote:
People want artists to stay in a little box...then complain when they keep regurgitating the same shit.

That's true, I mean Cage changed a shit load on Hell's Winter from Movies For The Blind, and I love HW a lot more. The thing is I think there's a certain line some people don't want the artist to cross. For example Cage on his last album, and people who aren't feeling the subject matter on Recovery.

But at the same time, people complained about the subject matter on Relapse...then complained about Recovery. It's all just bullshit. I just like good music. Unless it's Wu, because they suck.

Hmm, maybe people just couldn't get past the accent on Relapse and bashed the cd for that reason. I prefer Em when's he's on the crazy violent tip, but at the same time there was some damn good songs on Recovery.
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 12:46 pm

I much prefer the subject matter on Relapse, but Recovery was superior lyrically, IMO
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 1:14 pm

Cornholio wrote:
halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
I agree with Slang, I'm just waiting for Em to get out of his emo phase. He can still rap no doubt, but the songwriting seems to have gone with the drug use.

His song writing has IMPROVED...what are you talking about? When was Em writing bridges and gluing his flow to the beat before now?

This is all opinion, but it seems like the direction of the songs have changed. When I listen to MMLP, I feel like the choruses are breaks in between the rapping - I can't wait to hear the next verse. They seem to be there in order to keep the song in a traditional structure more than anything else. Listening to Recovery, it feels like the songs intend to exhibit the choruses rather than the rapping. This might sound pretty petty and a minor gripe, but it makes a big difference to me.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 1:15 pm

Esco wrote:
I think Halfy wants EM to change his subject matter.

Not really, I mean he really hasn't changed his subject matter dramatically or anything like that. This album definitely has a more emo vibe to it that I'm not feeling at all though.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 1:16 pm

Cornholio wrote:
People want artists to stay in a little box...then complain when they keep regurgitating the same shit.

I am all for artists changing their style and subject matter. I have no problem with Em changing his subject matter, but I'm not feeling it this time.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 1:44 pm

I remember an interview Kanye gave a few years back in Playboy. He was talking about the genius of Black Eyed Peas' Lady Lumps or whatever that song was titled. He said he applied the same strategy to Gold Digger. Basically, the point is to cram as many hooks as possible into the same song, increasing the chances of 'hooking' the listener.

If that's not whoring yourself...
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 1:48 pm

In response to the op, Lupe shouldn't make the types of songs that might be heard. Thank god the fine folk at Atlantic understand.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 2:18 pm

lmao
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make   Types Of Songs Certain Artists Shouldn't Make - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 05 Aug 2010, 4:21 pm

i never complained about the subject matter on Relapse, i loved it, lol

anyway, you say he glued his flow to the beat but is that necessarily a good thing? Personally i dont like the sing songy flow and the AWFUL bridges that are in his new songs. I want raw spitting