Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Review That Album

Go down 
+7
Wanduras
T. Myers
gametheory91
thelundquist
Funk Seoul Brother
SyRuP Sippa
Half
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

Review That Album - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

A Guest wrote:
Cise wrote:
I too am up for a non hip-hop rec. Any takers?

Lucky Boys Confusion-Throwing The Game

I'd like to start off by thanking you for this rec. This album is quite ill from top to bottom. No skip tracks and just a really fresh sound. I was trying to liken them to other groups I already dig but its not quite that easy. They have quite a unique sound if I may say so. I was pleasantly surprised by this. Never heard of them before but since they share some ska elements I was able to immediately relate to them. Several standout tracks on this album but I really enjoyed the first song the most: Breaking Rules. Overall I'd give this like a 4.875/5. I was tempted to give it a perfect score but with my high standards that RARELY every happens. This album gets my seal of approval and I will check out some of their other stuff in time.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Aug 2011, 6:11 pm

Yo Cise you forgot to ask someone to review something man(mane(mayne)).
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon 08 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

Shaun wrote:
I'll join, but not until like next Sunday. I'm on vacation and don't have a bunch of time with my computer.

So, if the raincheck is accepted, I would like Lundquist to review:

Grip Grand- Brokelore

will do. got a link?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Aug 2011, 10:45 pm

Cyrus Malachi - Ancient Future:

So this is not a perfect review, I got almost all the songs on Youtube save for Intro and a handful of other ones (sodom, and like 2 more). Initially I felt the CD was boring, but right around Elemental it picks up and is pretty dope from there til the end. The music is really good, atmospheric, dark type stuff and would probably sound even better with the proper bass. As a rapper, Cyrus doesn't do a ton for me, he' s like a slightly less animated/deep version of Killah Priest to me and that really is my only problem with the CD.

Loved the beats, but Malachi is a type of guy you have to really devote a ton of attention to get into his lyrics and he does little for me to motivate me to do so.

Even so, I give this a solid 3.5 and if it keeps dropping in price I will likely give it a go to give it more spins.

half, please review:

Kenny Diaz presents The Lost Episodes Vol. 1 & 2 (check your pm)
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 09 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Cyrus Malachi - Ancient Future:

So this is not a perfect review, I got almost all the songs on Youtube save for Intro and a handful of other ones (sodom, and like 2 more). Initially I felt the CD was boring, but right around Elemental it picks up and is pretty dope from there til the end. The music is really good, atmospheric, dark type stuff and would probably sound even better with the proper bass. As a rapper, Cyrus doesn't do a ton for me, he' s like a slightly less animated/deep version of Killah Priest to me and that really is my only problem with the CD.

Loved the beats, but Malachi is a type of guy you have to really devote a ton of attention to get into his lyrics and he does little for me to motivate me to do so.

Even so, I give this a solid 3.5 and if it keeps dropping in price I will likely give it a go to give it more spins.

half, please review:

Kenny Diaz presents The Lost Episodes Vol. 1 & 2 (check your pm)

Yeah, if prices do go down try to check it, it definitely sounds better on CD than on youtube, and I think every track in the album has a purpose, so although you only missed about 4 tracks it would definitely sound like a different album. Still, thanks for checking it out and reviewing.

Just d/l'd the The Lost Episodes and I'll have a review up soon.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Aug 2011, 3:21 pm

www.spotify.com

I recommend anyone on the site, but especially those in this thread, should join. You get to spin a ton of shit for free. Whole albums. They got that Cyrus Malachi in fact so I will revisit it soon.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 10 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

worrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 12 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

Don't worry SRP still gonna listen to that Kenny Diaz, finally have a good block of time this afternoon to do so.

I guess I'll update this again... (secret bump)

Albums/Mixtapes reviewed:
Dj Rapid Ric - WhutItDew (3.5 stars rating by Half)
The Game - Red Wars(?) (2 stars by gametheory)
K-Rino - Fear No Evil (3.75 stars by T.Myers)
Dom Kennedy - II: From The Westside With Love (3 stars by Half)
Da UnderDawgz - The 1st One Is For Pimp (2.75 stars by thelundquist)
The Legendary Traxster - The Return Of Gangsta Music (3.5 stars by Half)
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Golden Era (3.25 stars by Half)
Guilty Simpson X Oh No - Ghettodes (??? by SRP)
Triple Darkness - Last Dayz (3.5 stars by T. Myers)
Lil Wayne - Sorry 4 The Wait (3 stars by Cise)
R.A. The Rugged Man - Die, Rugged Man, Die (4 stars by A Guest)
Blue Sky Black Death - Noir (3.5 stars by Wanduras)
Seagram - Souls On Ice (4.5 stars by Half)
MVP - Clout (4 stars by lundquist)
Z-Ro - 5200 (??? by T.Myers)
Seven Star - Alternate Invention (3 stars by Half)
Seagram - Reality Check (3.5-4 stars by SRP)
C-Money & SLC - Street Certified (3.5 stars by SRP)
C-Money & SLC - Street Certified (4 stars by lounge)
Eyedea & Abilities - First Born (4.5 stars by Wanduras)
Femi Kuti - Shoki Shoki (4 stars by Cise)
D.Black - Ali'Yah (4 stars by Half)
Psychoward - www.psychoward.com (4.25 stars by Half)
The Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day (4.75 stars by Cise)
Casiopea - Eyes of the Mind (4 stars by Half)
Cyrus Malachi - Ancient Future (3.75 stars by lundquist)
Jeru the Damaja - The Sun Rises In The East (4 stars by Wanduras)
Big Chill - Chill Pill 2.09 (2.09 stars by Half)
Jehst - The Dragon of an Ordinary Family (3 stars by gametheory)
Has-Lo - In Case I Don't Make it (4.25 stars by Half)
Riff Raff - Hilton Swag (1 star by A Guest)
Lucky Boys Confusion - Throwing The Game (4.875 stars by Cise)
Cyrus Malachi - Ancient Future (3.5 stars by SRP)

Albums/Mixtapes that still need to be reviewed:
Killarmy - Dirty Weaponry (Slang said he'd get around to this)
Vanilla Ice - Extremely Live 1991 (Dopplegang.com)
88 Keys - The Death of Adam (T. Myers)
Amon Tobin - Permutation (Wanduras)
Grip Grand - Brokelore (thelundquist)
Masters of Illusion - Masters of Illusion (gametheory91)
Kenny Diaz - The Lost Episodes Vols 1 & 2 (Half)

Posters not reviewing anything as of this post:
Lounge
Cise
Shaun (available in 2 days)
A Guest
SRP
Tran/Highsmith (not sure if these guys actually want to participate...hopefully they do though)

Of course if anyone else wants to join in feel free.

As you can see we have done some work in this thread... pat yourself on the back!
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

Ok SRP, I am starting from the beginning and finally listening to this Diaz all the way through. Review going up tonight.

Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011, 8:42 pm

Half wrote:
Ok SRP, I am starting from the beginning and finally listening to this Diaz all the way through. Review going up tonight.

Kenny Diaz - The Lost Episodes Vols 1 & 2

Ok, I know, it took me a while. The first half of this album has some good tracks, but a lot of it didn't really click with me... I felt bored a lot of the way through. I had to stop before it felt too much like work to me. So I finally decided to go at it again today, and I was pleasantly surprised by the second half. Much more variety, different production styles, and rappers that didn't sound the same. I don't know a lot about Kenny Diaz but I'm assuming he did the beats on this... and the majority are pretty nice. Also, this comp is filled to the brim with huge names like Mr. Voo, Sp12ver, and Kourageous Kats just to name a few. This is long and it really does take a while to get going if you ask me. I don't know if this is in chronological order from 95-99, but I'm assuming it is. The tracks definitely sounded more modern as I listened through the lost episodes. I have to think that Pirates of New York track is post-2000 though (The first Pirates of the Caribbean movie came out in 03 and the guy rapping makes multiple references to it), so maybe the time span is bigger than the title makes it out to be (it said best of NY hip hop 95-99 in my iTunes). Anyway, all things considered, I enjoyed this. Most of the tracks are in the more minimal style that I like. The rappers aren't too memorable, but this seems like more of a production showcase anyway so it didn't bother me that much. I give it 3.5 stars for now.

Edit: Oh yeah, hey Shaun you're the new guy, you should review Hassaan Mackey & Apollo Brown - Daily Bread. Thanks mane.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

Dang it, Half! That Daily Bread was gonna be the next album I rec'd. That's a great album. Slowly making its way up my year end list....
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011, 10:14 pm

gametheory91 wrote:
Dang it, Half! That Daily Bread was gonna be the next album I rec'd. That's a great album. Slowly making its way up my year end list....

I like it too, I actually just heard it for the first time today.
Back to top Go down
gametheory91
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
gametheory91

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 16 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm

Higher is contending for my song of the year.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 2:34 am

"Also, this comp is filled to the brim with huge names like Mr. Voo, Sp12ver, and Kourageous Kats just to name a few"

Those names are bigger than Nas, Hov, and Pac combined! ...

"Edit: Oh yeah, hey Shaun you're the new guy, you should review Hassaan Mackey & Apollo Brown - Daily Bread. Thanks mane. "

I've actually been back for almost a week now lol. Send me a link, and I will get to it. I've heard (seen?) good things
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 2:40 am

Shaun wrote:
"Also, this comp is filled to the brim with huge names like Mr. Voo, Sp12ver, and Kourageous Kats just to name a few"

"Edit: Oh yeah, hey Shaun you're the new guy, you should review Hassaan Mackey & Apollo Brown - Daily Bread. Thanks mane. "

I've actually been back for almost a week now lol. Send me a link, and I will get to it. I've heard (seen?) good things

read?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 2:44 am

I think read and seen go hand in hand
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 2:46 am

Shaun wrote:
I think read and seen go hand in hand

Not if you're illiterate.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 8:10 am

Shaun wrote:

Check messages
Back to top Go down
thelundquist
thelundquist

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

My grip grand review is coming soon. I've played it a couple times, but haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?sf=viewcount&sa=0
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 3:42 pm

I still need to review something bitches.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed 17 Aug 2011, 3:47 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Looks like you're gonna have to wait for some cats to do their reviews.... you should pressure Terry into finally doing that 88 Keys review. Or make Tran get in here before two weeks from now when he said he'd join in.
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011, 10:52 am

bump
Back to top Go down
Cold Loungin
Cold Loungin

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011, 5:01 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Are you ready to take on Bigfoot Giant Steps ?? I will be interested to know your thoughts on it if you want to cover it
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu 18 Aug 2011, 6:11 pm

Good point Lounge, that will be next. !
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 7:18 pm

Boom
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 9:43 pm

I will get to my review eventually
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

Shaun wrote:
I will get to my review eventually

You and a bunch of cats on here... no rush though just don't want this to fade away just yet
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri 26 Aug 2011, 10:11 pm

You should've said that 2-3 weeks ago
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm

SRP review the RED album
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun 28 Aug 2011, 12:22 pm

nevermind, dont know how i missed that thread
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Sep 2011, 7:04 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Review That Album   Review That Album - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Review That Album
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5