Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The White Rapper and movement

Go down 
+15
TheHazardous
Alan
mistadave
Justin Linker
Half
Jack of Spades
Norfeest
Dang! Trotter
Shaun
T. Myers
parker lewis
Myestro
Laced With Slang
KJ Styles
Tic706
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

The White Rapper and movement Empty
PostSubject: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 6:49 pm

Okay I have been thinking about this for a while. These are just my thoughts so I may be inaccurate with some of my statements.

Doing the GUR tourney I noticed how many white emcees are holding down the core elements of hip hop in the underground. And it made me think even more of the maybe reverse prejudice and even racism white rappers encounter. The industry and the streets seem to have created a rule that only so many white people can be at the top of the game. White rappers seem to have to prove more and work harder than their black and even hispanic peers. So I can see why some of you uphold your white brethren to such high levels.

On the other hand I get where the hesitant trust of white emcees and culture insiders come from. In the poor urban communites mostly, whites have always been seen as thieves of culture, outsiders and involuntary oppressors. They can come off very corny when stepping into the black/hispanic arena. I even admit to having a wall up to the "angry" whiteman rappers. They come off as trying to hard to sound hard or something. But I cannot deny the ones that come off as truly comfortable in their own skin. The ones that seem to get that yeah I have something to prove but I will prove it my way. And I feel I hear it in their music.

Also is Eminem the blueprint for every white emcee since he came out?

He seems to get an extreme response from both ends of the spectrum. Whites seem to either luv him or hate his fucking guts. So to my white bro's out here on this forum do you sometimes dislike what he represents? I mean I know that you know he has true true rap skills. But he is also the reason your fav white rapper will never be big. Your fav white rapper is in his shadow even if they do not know him or are under him.

I know this post has no real structure or fomat. So my fault but these are just my thoughts as they come. Please share yours on the subject.
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 6:57 pm

I know I'm not white, but I feel the need to answer this anyway.

I honestly don't see why any caucasian should hate Eminem. Even if you don't think he's the best white MC out there, him along with the Beastie Boys and 3rd Bass are the reasons why white people are no longer as disrespected in rap music as they used to be. If it wasn't for those guys, a lot of people wouldn't give white MC's the time of day.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 8:25 pm

Kev most of the white MCs are from the same hoods as the black ones that they rep. That point is pretty dumb if you ask me. There are obviously exceptions but there are tons of black rappers from the suburbs as well, more probably.

Other than that statement i do think its somewhat harder for a lot of white MCs to get noticed. I dont take many of them seriously to be honest, but the good ones i respect the same.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 8:42 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
Kev most of the white MCs are from the same hoods as the black ones that they rep. That point is pretty dumb if you ask me. There are obviously exceptions but there are tons of black rappers from the suburbs as well, more probably.

Other than that statement i do think its somewhat harder for a lot of white MCs to get noticed. I dont take many of them seriously to be honest, but the good ones i respect the same.

Well no its not. And most of what white emcee's are from the hood? That was not really the point though. Even when whites are in the same area whether hood or burbs the struggle is viewed differently. Most blacks do not truly believe the angry whiteman rappers so imo that is one reason they will never crossover to a more black market. I understand that everyone no matter what race or creed has there own struggles. But blacks for the most part have never viewed white people as a struggle. Even if we know the ones that have.

Thats another point. Some of the more street oriented white rappers come off cheesy. Because they seem to adopt the street style whether than be born and raised into it.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 8:44 pm

Plus please give an answer/response to my bolded question.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 9:11 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:
Slang Editorial wrote:

Well no its not. And most of what white emcee's are from the hood? That was not really the point though. Even when whites are in the same area whether hood or burbs the struggle is viewed differently. Most blacks do not truly believe the angry whiteman rappers so imo that is one reason they will never crossover to a more black market. I understand that everyone no matter what race or creed has there own struggles. But blacks for the most part have never viewed white people as a struggle. Even if we know the ones that have.

Thats another point. Some of the more street oriented white rappers come off cheesy. Because they seem to adopt the street style whether than be born and raised into it.

i agree with the part i bolded, but if you think a lot of these white mc;s are fake when they talk about where they are from then you def have more research to do my dude. Obviously there are fake ones, just like there are fake black ones, but there are just as many real ones.
Back to top Go down
Myestro
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master
Myestro

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 10:02 pm

I'm not a huge Eminem fan, but I know he's got skills, and I don't hate him. I like his older stuff, and can listen to his newer stuff without complaint. Some of it I kinda like, some I don't.

I think major labels use Eminem as the blueprint for white rappers, but I don't think he necessarily is. There's many white MC's that have their own style/sound, they just don't get the exposure.

Only reasons I can think of for people to "hate" Em are: his mass appeal or his personality. But, the mass appeal thing can't really be considered a fault. He just does what he does, and people like it.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 10:06 pm

In what way would Eminem be a blueprint? What are the consistencies, really, that set white emcees apart from black emcees-originating with Eminem?

I do hate to hear most white rappers talk. It's embarrassing that these guys feel they need to act like wiggers to be emcees. That is really one of the reasons I like Rugged Man so much.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 10:54 pm

parker lewis wrote:
In what way would Eminem be a blueprint? What are the consistencies, really, that set white emcees apart from black emcees-originating with Eminem?

I do hate to hear most white rappers talk. It's embarrassing that these guys feel they need to act like wiggers to be emcees. That is really one of the reasons I like Rugged Man so much.

Well for one before Em and after Serch there were no respected white emcees on a mainstream level. Of course you can mention Beastie Boys but they are not respected rappers in a lyrical aspect. I think Em give the confidence to the young white nation to do their own thing. After him for some reason there was white rappers coming out the wood work. And I feel this is where your white rapper underground flourished.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 11:23 pm

Eminem is not a blueprint. he's the benchmark. he's what all mainstream white mc's aspire to. He's what all corporate executives hope for when they sign a white mc. I don't think the rise of white mc's is a 100% result of Eminem. Em's rise corresponds with the decline of mainstream hip hop, and conversely the rise of underground hip hop. A lot of underground hip hop is based on the battle/punch line oriented mc. It's this niche where white mc's can really shine unhindered and without prejudice.

The problem with some white mc's is that they try to relate to what they have been through to what a black mc has been through. I don't care if both mc's grew up at the same time in the same projects. Their experiences and upbringing is not the same, and it's ignorant to think otherwise. Any attempt to do so is a direct insult to blacks and black history. White mc's don't have to deal with being black. To think that is not a factor is flat out wrong. Their skin is their sin, right? Plus, a huge factor is the difference in heritage. How many black people have heard stories passed down from their great grandparents about what it was like growing up in times that were not so friendly. Those stories and atrocities do not go away. Even if the present is the same(at least on the surface), the past never will. That is why some tend to come off corny, uninspired, and at times fake.
Back to top Go down
Tic706
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Cinco De Mayo Hater
Tic706

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 17 Jan 2011, 11:36 pm

Good points in that 2nd paragraph especially Terry. That is basically what I was telling Slang.

Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 12:14 am

TicNitty706 wrote:
Good points in that 2nd paragraph especially Terry. That is basically what I was telling Slang.

i get that, but that doesnt mean they cant talk about street shit. And Terry is talking about things i never even mentioned or planned to mention. If you dont want to view a white guys hard past the same way you do a black guys thats your call. History is history but present is present and cant be ignored
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 1:39 am

"White mc's don't have to deal with being black."

What's wrong with being black?
Back to top Go down
Dang! Trotter
Banned From Amazon
Banned From Amazon
Dang! Trotter

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 2:32 am

I think its those dumb ass Emenim stans that are really messin' it up for White Mcs. RA Rugged Man stated there are a lot of racist Em fans. These White kids can't look past Em, not even at another White rapper. They want to support a White rapper when he's on top. They like the fact one of them is ruling hip hop right now. They haveno interest supporting an underground White rapper thats unknown. In 2010 Recovery was the highest selling hip hop album w/ over 3 mill. sold. White boys are making comments on the net about how a White boy saved hip hop. But atleast Em fans allow Em to be creative, Black rappers in the mainstream are limited as far as creativity cause their too busy feeding stereotypes.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 2:48 am

^ truth
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 3:25 pm

Whatever happened to Miilkbone? Both his albums were dope and his first one was classic (IMO).

I'm gonna go spin some Miilk...
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 5:04 pm

Milk is chillin', Giz is chillin'
Back to top Go down
KJ Styles
The Cerebral Assassin
The Cerebral Assassin
KJ Styles

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 18 Jan 2011, 6:03 pm

Shaun wrote:
Milk is chillin', Giz is chillin'

What more can I say, Top Billin!!
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 11:24 pm

I only have two favorite white emcees:

1. Eminem
2. Vinnie Paz

I also like Slug, but I don't count him because he is only 1/2 white.

I'm not being racist or anything like that. White emcees just don't appeal to me.

What are your opinions on white DJ's?
Back to top Go down
Half
Paragraphs Relentless
Half

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeSun 27 Feb 2011, 11:53 pm

Jack of Spades wrote:
I only have two favorite white emcees:

1. Eminem
2. Vinnie Paz

I also like Slug, but I don't count him because he is only 1/2 white.

I'm not being racist or anything like that. White emcees just don't appeal to me.

What are your opinions on white DJ's?

You talking about cats like Alchemist and Marco Polo or cats like DJ Shadow?
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 1:17 am

Marco Polo, Alchemist, JS1..........
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 1:24 am

Statik Selektah>>>>>>>>>>>>
Back to top Go down
Justin Linker
Smells Like Roses...
Justin Linker

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 28 Feb 2011, 2:28 am

DJ Shadow >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Midnight In A Perfect World = The greatest instrumental song in hip-hop history, IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/TheFakeJustinLinker
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

Personally I think that Eminem is a lyrical beast, he's got complex rhyme schemes, topics filled with anger that many can relate to, and personality on the mic. I bought Em's first two joints, and I recognize that they contained some material appealing for the masses, and even respecting him I think that he went too commercial. I don't hate him, I liked some of the songs that I heard from Recovery, but I can't listen entirely to that album. There's some great lyricism out there, but if you listen to the songs with Pink or Rihanna from an underground point of view, they don't sound right. His early material was not this commercial, there weren't that many easy sounds, know what I mean?

Besides that, I consider Eminem superior to Beastie Boys from a technical point of view even if they are one of my all-time favorite groups, I always liked 3rd Bass but I've always thought that Em would've kill'em both on the mic.

Nowadays I like Esoteric very much, he improves after any release that he puts out, I like Vinnie Paz and Slaine which I consider two very good lyricists, but I admit that Eminem is better than them even if I don't like the majority of his releases. That doesn't mean that em's albums are better than the ones by the artists that I cited, because I think that Eso vs Japan, Season Of The Assassin, World With no Skies, Soul Purpose and stuff like that is overall superior to any album that I've ever heard from Eminem.

I also think that white artists got more hip hop respect with the help of the producers. I mean, every rapper wants to work with Marco Polo, Statik Selektah is puttin' out one beat better than the previous one, JS-1 works with numerous underground Mc's, and things like that.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 5:32 pm

"Nowadays I like Esoteric very much, he improves after any release that he puts out, I like Vinnie Paz and Slaine which I consider two very good lyricists, but I admit that Eminem is better than them even if I don't like the majority of his releases."

If only everyone was able to admit that.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

That JS1 joint that dropped last year is killer. Where else you gonna hear Bro Ali and CL Smooth on the same track? Or a KRS and Canibus joint?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Smokes More Trees Than The Slash And Burn Technique
Alan

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 6:56 pm

TicNitty706 wrote:

Hellz to the no. His style is wack.
Back to top Go down
Jack of Spades
Hi, My Name Is!
Hi, My Name Is!
Jack of Spades

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 9:28 pm

Alan wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

When it comes to white emcees, I have only one word.......SNOW!
Back to top Go down
TheHazardous
Smells Like Roses...
TheHazardous

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

mistadave wrote:
Personally I think that Eminem is a lyrical beast, he's got complex rhyme schemes, topics filled with anger that many can relate to, and personality on the mic. I bought Em's first two joints, and I recognize that they contained some material appealing for the masses, and even respecting him I think that he went too commercial. I don't hate him, I liked some of the songs that I heard from Recovery, but I can't listen entirely to that album. There's some great lyricism out there, but if you listen to the songs with Pink or Rihanna from an underground point of view, they don't sound right. His early material was not this commercial, there weren't that many easy sounds, know what I mean?

Besides that, I consider Eminem superior to Beastie Boys from a technical point of view even if they are one of my all-time favorite groups, I always liked 3rd Bass but I've always thought that Em would've kill'em both on the mic.

Nowadays I like Esoteric very much, he improves after any release that he puts out, I like Vinnie Paz and Slaine which I consider two very good lyricists, but I admit that Eminem is better than them even if I don't like the majority of his releases. That doesn't mean that em's albums are better than the ones by the artists that I cited, because I think that Eso vs Japan, Season Of The Assassin, World With no Skies, Soul Purpose and stuff like that is overall superior to any album that I've ever heard from Eminem.

I also think that white artists got more hip hop respect with the help of the producers. I mean, every rapper wants to work with Marco Polo, Statik Selektah is puttin' out one beat better than the previous one, JS-1 works with numerous underground Mc's, and things like that.

White producers will always have it easier than white rappers. When you're on the boards no one can see what you look like. You can only be judged by what you make. If you're a white rapper the listener can saddle you with their own personal emotional baggage and assumptions. No one really cares where a producer comes from because they're not really claiming anything with their words. As long as the beats knock no one cares. Primo's from TX and most are not aware of that and those that are treat him as a diamond in the rough because of it. As if being from the South was some type of inherent handicap. Premier is a diamond in the rough but not because he's a Texan. It is because that level of talent is hard to find period. Rick Rubin has been making great music for years.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 12:55 am

Jack of Spades wrote:
Alan wrote:
TicNitty706 wrote:

When it comes to white emcees, I have only one word.......SNOW!

When did dancehall artists/Singjays get labeled emcees? Snow makes great music...better than anybody mentioned in this thread IMO.
Back to top Go down
mistadave
I Deserve A
I Deserve A

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 4:02 am

TheHazardous wrote:
White producers will always have it easier than white rappers.

I agree. And I assume that R.A. The Rugged Man, even if he's highly respected, is heavily underrated because of that. I've said before that Eminem would've win every battle against Eso, Vinnie and company, but I doubt that he could easily win against R.A., which is a monster.
Back to top Go down
SyRuP Sippa
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
SyRuP Sippa

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 11:49 am

Collie Buddz...
Back to top Go down
amy
So Fabolous
So Fabolous
amy

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeMon 11 Apr 2011, 8:34 pm

This makes me want to listen to Macklemore- White Priviledge.

I think being white and a rapper is a double edged sword, but I definitely agree with the fact that one's experiences differ because of color, regardless of class. Though I'm not saying tough shit isn't tough shit, but the way society is structured still allows for racism..and when we're talking about hip hop specifically, just make sure you respect where it comes from is all...
Back to top Go down
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG
Go Hawks
Go Hawks
JulioRoddyMattyTonyG

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeTue 12 Apr 2011, 12:18 am

Glad to see another Macklemore fan on here. I actually met the dude at a local record store signing on Sunday. Cool dude, copped his new album and got it signed. The dude is making a lot of national noise lately, kicking it with Rhymesayers. With the new Blue Scholars album set to drop in the summer, Seattle hip hop is finally making some noise after being dormant for a minute.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 1:12 am

I've been dig'n this track for a while, I finally got it on that Bay Area 51. Pody comes sav as usual. My thing is: (watch the track first then the interview below next) Justo shouldn't be dropping N-bombs like it's no big thing. I know he thinks he's using it respectfuly, but...

No need to cap on it, I know most of you will not enjoy the track because you need lyrics that dazzle your minds.

Yes, I really think he's serious with the way he talks...sad, I know.
Back to top Go down
parker lewis
E-4000, Ya Smell Me?
parker lewis

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitimeSun 24 Apr 2011, 7:45 am

His body language and facial expressions tell that he's not being natural.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The White Rapper and movement   The White Rapper and movement Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The White Rapper and movement
Page 1 of 1