Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Nominee Day 43

Go down 
+3
Justin Linker
D.Powell
T. Myers
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither
Top 50
100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Vote_lcap30%100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Top 100
100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Vote_lcap40%100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 8 ]
Neither
100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Vote_lcap30%100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Deanie O'Banion
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Deanie O'Banion

100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:56 pm

Kool John have you ever heard Money Iz Motive by The Cutthoat Committee? I'm willing to bet you haven't. This IMO is possibly the greatest group album ever & you would probably have nothing but bad things to say about it. Let's face it location for the most part is a big deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:57 pm

Are you getting the Best of CD they just dropped Romped Out? I think it's all songs I already have but I might still buy it...
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:00 pm

I'll probably get it, but I think they are all on MIM & Turf Buccaneers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:04 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:
Kool John have you ever heard Money Iz Motive by The Cutthoat Committee? I'm willing to bet you haven't. This IMO is possibly the greatest group album ever & you would probably have nothing but bad things to say about it. Let's face it location for the most part is a big deal.

You're right, I haven't heard it but I'll check it out sometime. But I think it's bullshit that I get grilled for the cats that I like, but people from the South and West don't get grilled as much.

I'm willing to bet that I have more Southern and West Coast rappers among my GOAT list than you have East Coast rappers.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:06 pm

The groups you like that aren't from the east sound like they are though.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:08 pm

I honestly think lyrically that CL Smooth is much better than both Ball and MJG...and CL Smooth is an above-average emcee, just like Ball and MJG but I think he puts lyrics together much better than both of them

As for Pete Rock well he's one of the greatest producers to ever do it...plain and simple...his impact on the game is undeniable

As for SRP's wack ass comment about Chuck D being average and him not making him out to be more than he is...but then saying he's in your top ten personal list

YOUR THE DEVIL man...plain and simple...and a combo of Clueless Joe...your clueless dawg...lol...that's the one thing that makes you funny...because your clueless

as for you Shon..spell your damn name right for once okay man?? lol
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:08 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

You're right, I haven't heard it but I'll check it out sometime. But I think it's bullshit that I get grilled for the cats that I like, but people from the South and West don't get grilled as much.

I'm willing to bet that I have more Southern and West Coast rappers among my GOAT list than you have East Coast rappers.

Yeah, i don't think you should get grilled, but there is a tendency to state your opinion as fact. You guys also use New York as the mecca of hip hop as a crutch sometimes. Just because it was released on the east coast doesn't make it great or golden. I have been open about my bias from day one. SRP has too.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:14 pm

D.Powell wrote:
I honestly think lyrically that CL Smooth is much better than both Ball and MJG...and CL Smooth is an above-average emcee, just like Ball and MJG but I think he puts lyrics together much better than both of them

As for Pete Rock well he's one of the greatest producers to ever do it...plain and simple...his impact on the game is undeniable

As for SRP's wack ass comment about Chuck D being average and him not making him out to be more than he is...but then saying he's in your top ten personal list

YOUR THE DEVIL man...plain and simple...and a combo of Clueless Joe...your clueless dawg...lol...that's the one thing that makes you funny...because your clueless

as for you Shon..spell your damn name right for once okay man?? lol

Powell, I'm curious as to how you'd describe impact. You and i both know that Pete Rock is a top 10 talent(at the very least), but IMO, his greatness does not translate into impact. I mean Eightball and MJG have influnced thousands of of southern MC's and opened more doors for people than Pete Rock & CL Smooth did. To me, that is impact. I'm sure you think CL is better(which is fine) because he's a golden age MC from New York, and i'm sure I think Eightball is better for the similar reasons.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

My "bias" is that I know for a fact that NYC is the greatest area to ever do/create hip-hop music...

more legends, the best dj's, the best music, the best artists, the best producers....

prove me wrong SRP and Terry and Rompedout and Kev and Shon and anybody else who doesn't agree with that

show me the legends and stars and quality music from your respective areas and let's put it up against each other and see

Last edited by D.Powell on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:15 pm

RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

Outkast, Goodie Mob, and UGK don't sound like they're from the East. Scarface didn't either prior to The Fix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:19 pm

D.Powell wrote:

I co-sign all of that, ESPECIALLY that last sentence. SRP completely contradicted himself there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:20 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I'm sure you think CL is better(which is fine) because he's a golden age MC from New York, and i'm sure I think Eightball is better for the similar reasons.

CL Smooth is also better IMO. But not because he's from NY.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:21 pm

D.Powell wrote:
My "bias" is that I know for a fact that NYC is the greatest area to ever do/create hip-hop music...

more legends, the best dj's, the best music, the best artists, the best producers....

prove me wrong SRP and Terry and Rompedout and Kev and Shon and anybody else who doesn't agree with that

show me the legends and stars and quality music from your respective areas and let's put it up against each other and see

This is exactly my point. I completely agree that that New York has birthed more greats than any other region. My point was that you are using that as an excuse to proclaim greatness for groups who may not deserve it, or you choose not like certain groups as much because they are not from New York. I'm being serious too Powell. You know that i got love for NY cats as much as any other region. Just look at my top 10.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:22 pm

Minnesota Hip-Hop Fiend wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
I'm sure you think CL is better(which is fine) because he's a golden age MC from New York, and i'm sure I think Eightball is better for the similar reasons.

LOL! I know. I thought we already established this though. Your bias lies with Big Jess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:22 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

Outkast, Goodie Mob, and UGK don't sound like they're from the East. Scarface didn't either prior to The Fix.

I often hear this comment and am confused by it. I think just because those are (some of) the biggest names in the south, it does not equate to being a true fan of the south to many southern rap fanatics.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:24 pm

Pete Rock influenced Dilla...9th Wonder,RZA, Preemo, Black Milk, Timbaland and many others...all of these top notch producers have mentioned him as an influence at one point or another Terry...he changed the type of sampling instrument heads were using before

he helped to "modernize" the production game man...his influence is right at the core of hip-hop

I'm not saying that Ball and MJG haven't influenced many southern rappers but I think Pete Rock influenced more...again this shit is all opinion based man...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:24 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

I co-sign all of that, ESPECIALLY that last sentence. SRP completely contradicted himself there.

Well, i don't think Chuck D is average, but his subject matter and impact on the game masked his flaws. Chuck D was never a Great Lyricist, but he is a great communicator.
Back to top Go down

T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

This is exactly my point. I completely agree that that New York has birthed more greats than any other region. My point was that you are using that as an excuse to proclaim greatness for groups who may not deserve it, or you choose not like certain groups as much because they are not from New York. I'm being serious too Powell. You know that i got love for NY cats as much as any other region. Just look at my top 10.

Exactly. We can't convince you otherwise because you are just too biased to see Powell.

And it is no contradiction. I dig Chuck D for his message, booming voice and delivery, and the bomb squad beats... I know he is not the most skillful emcee - the two are not contradictions... real talk homeyy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:25 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

And I don't favor artists from any coast...

Neither do I, although many people think I do. Granted, I do have many NYC artists on my GOAT list, but I have a number of Southern, West Coast, and Midwestern MC's there as well.

I'm also quick to point out if I feel someone is wack REGARDLESS of where they're from. I think Dipset is wack (save for Hell Rell) and Tony Yayo is one of the wackest MC's of all time.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:26 pm

D.Powell wrote:
Pete Rock influenced Dilla...9th Wonder,RZA, Preemo, Black Milk, Timbaland and many others...all of these top notch producers have mentioned him as an influence at one point or another Terry...he changed the type of sampling instrument heads were using before

he helped to "modernize" the production game man...his influence is right at the core of hip-hop

I'm not saying that Ball and MJG haven't influenced many southern rappers but I think Pete Rock influenced more...again this shit is all opinion based man...

I don't see his influence in all those dudes, but fair enough. I'm not going to deny that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:26 pm

T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

LOL! I know. I thought we already established this though. Your bias lies with Big Jess.

Minnesota in general, really. But I just find it funny you keep saying "because" he's from NY. I was just pointing out that someone from neither region can make that decision. I seems like you're just saying opinion = location, when I think there are much more factors that goes into it....and this particular scenario, period.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:28 pm

T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

I don't see his influence in all those dudes, but fair enough. I'm not going to deny that.

I have heard most of those guys mention Pete Rock as an influence, especially 9th Wonder and Dilla.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:29 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

And I don't favor artists from any coast...

Neither do I, although many people think I do. Granted, I do have many NYC artists on my GOAT list, but I have a number of Southern, West Coast, and Midwestern MC's there as well.

I'm also quick to point out if I feel someone is wack REGARDLESS of where they're from. I think Dipset is wack (save for Hell Rell) and Tony Yayo is one of the wackest MC's of all time.

I really ain't got no problem with you KJ... I think you are a diverse listener for the most part though you could use some classes in other regions, I think you would be open to it. I disagree with you at times and enjoy talking to you about the disagreements because it makes for good discussion. So don't take none of this personal. Powell on the other hand is a lost cause. Though I still got love for gramps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:30 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

I have heard most of those guys mention Pete Rock as an influence, especially 9th Wonder and Dilla.

Black Milk too for sure...The modernization of the sound is a good point. "Mecca" always sounded richer than anything in 1992 IMO.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:31 pm

"as for you Shon..spell your damn name right for once okay man?? lol"

You're the one spelling my name wrong. I haven't typed my name ever; it's just preset on the side of the screen.

"My "bias" is that I know for a fact that NYC is the greatest area to ever do/create hip-hop music...

prove me wrong SRP and Terry and Rompedout and Kev and Shon and anybody else who doesn't agree with that "

When did I ever say that? Because I thought SRP's pictures were funny, I automatically think NYC isn't the Mecca of hip hop?
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:31 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

I often hear this comment and am confused by it. I think just because those are (some of) the biggest names in the south, it does not equate to being a true fan of the south to many southern rap fanatics.

It's becuase they are safe easy picks for people to throw out there, and they tend to be more lyrical than most southern artists(especially Kast and Cee-lo). I've used this comparison before. We want to hear names like Tela, Big Mike, Pastor Troy, Z-Ro and stuff like that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:32 pm

Hey where's emo boy? See, this is my point EXACTLY. Everyone bitches and whines about bias all day til it's their ass getting aired out. I have bias, and so do you KJ, Powell, and especially penny pissy pants that suddenly thinks he's ganxta. EVERYONE has bias. Don't expect to not get called out on it. I think it's bullshit you'r gonna ride SRP's ass about it until he concedes it then you're gonna say you're "not biased" by knowing for "a fact" that the east coast is the best. The sentence sounds like sarcasm but sadly it's not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:33 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

Exactly. We can't convince you otherwise because you are just too biased to see Powell.

And it is no contradiction. I dig Chuck D for his message, booming voice and delivery, and the bomb squad beats... I know he is not the most skillful emcee - the two are not contradictions... real talk homeyy

He's a LOT better than average. In the early 90's, Chuck was in many GOAT discussions and still is now.

Average MC's are guys like Fat Joe and Master P.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:33 pm

T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Minnesota in general, really. But I just find it funny you keep saying "because" he's from NY. I was just pointing out that someone from neither region can make that decision. I seems like you're just saying opinion = location, when I think there are much more factors that goes into it....and this particular scenario, period.

LOL! I know it's possible to like them and not be from New York. Location is the only think i can think of that would result in a gap of approx. 100 postions between the two on Powell's list.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:35 pm

I've said this before but greatness begats greatness

just like all the dudes where influenced by Pete I'm sure they influenced him too

him and Preemo for example had a silent competition war going between the two of them, trying to out do each other and in the process just creating bomb after bomb between the both of them...kinda like on "Brooklyn's Finest" where you had both Jay and Biggie subliminally battling against each other....and creating a masterpiece in the process...and influencing each other...greatness begats greatness and influence is normally a mutual process when you've got more than one creative mind at work
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:36 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

It's becuase they are safe easy picks for people to throw out there, and they tend to be more lyrical than most southern artists(especially Kast and Cee-lo). I've used this comparison before. We want to hear names like Tela, Big Mike, Pastor Troy, Z-Ro and stuff like that

I know you want to see someone dig deeper. Like I'd rather see someone give it up to some lesser known cats over Atmosphere & Ali, but I rarely see that either. But that does not mean that, Goodie Mob's "Soul Food" for instance, isn't often referred to as the "most southern sounding hip-hop album of all time". That must seem like complete bullshit to some southerners, I suppose. But the album does not sound "east coast".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:36 pm

T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

LOL! I know it's possible to like them and not be from New York. Location is the only think i can think of that would result in a gap of approx. 100 postions between the two on Powell's list.

Well Location ALSO has something to do with why you prefer 8 Ball & MJG to CL Smooth. It goes both ways.
Back to top Go down
Deanie O'Banion
Deanie O'Banion

I agree with you KJ. I don't rock a lot of east coast stuff. I also don't dislike hardly any of it though. Here's a little sample of what I like back east. Slick Rick, Mr. Cheeks (L.B.), The Wu, The Firm, Def Squad, Schooly D, Onyx, Gravediggaz, Rotten Razcals, LOTUG. I love the real old school...Grand Master Flash, Whodini, Kurtis Blow type shit.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:37 pm

D.Powell wrote:
I've said this before but greatness begats greatness

just like all the dudes where influenced by Pete I'm sure they influenced him too

him and Preemo for example had a silent competition war going between the two of them, trying to out do each other and in the process just creating bomb after bomb between the both of them...kinda like on "Brooklyn's Finest" where you had both Jay and Biggie subliminally battling against each other....and creating a masterpiece in the process...and influencing each other...greatness begats greatness and influence is normally a mutual process when you've got more than one creative mind at work

Well yeah, competition is good(and don't think they were not competing). That is why battling is important to hip hop too.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:38 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

Well Location ALSO has something to do with why you prefer 8 Ball & MJG to CL Smooth. It goes both ways.

Exactly! I've been saying that all along, but i still voted top 100 for Pete Rock & CL Smooth too.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:39 pm

your a "lost" cause SRP....your on your own fuckin planet man...

you have said some of the silliest stuff I have ever heard on this forum man....real talk man...your shit is not "opinion" it's just an attempt to create contempt....your the devil dude...real talk...lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:39 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

I like Big Mike. Somethin Serious is a classic IMO. I did also name Little Brother as one of my Top 10 all time favs, and they aren't a big name group.
Back to top Go down

D.Powell wrote:

Yeah, some of these cats may have been before him, but how were these artists NOT influenced by Pete Rock's jazz-induced innovation?:

Hi-Tek
Prince Paul
Lord Finesse
DJ Jazzy Jeff
Diamond D
The Beatnuts
Erick Sermon

I'm not saying Pete wasn't influenced by the previous greats, but he did build on them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

I like Big Mike. Somethin Serious is a classic IMO. I did also name Little Brother as one of my Top 10 all time favs, and they aren't a big name group.

Arrested Development? lol...not that grimey southern isht, but you know...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:45 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

They're good too but not a personal fav. I did enjoy their debut album though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:47 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

I still say you should peep their 2007 release "Since The Last Time". I think Parker (aka Kid Joe) may agree if I remember right (?), but I know Kev & I have been the only two to point out it's their best record to date. If you dig AD you will definitely like this album!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 7:50 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

I still say you should peep their 2007 release "Since The Last Time". I think Parker (aka Kid Joe) may agree if I remember right (?), but I know Kev & I have been the only two to point out it's their best record to date. If you dig AD you will definitely like this album!

I'll check it out sometime. You should peep some Luda and T.I. sometime too. I'd recommend starting out with Back For The First Time with Luda, and Trap Musik with T.I.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 8:05 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
RompedOutCutthoat wrote:

I'll check it out sometime. You should peep some Luda and T.I. sometime too. I'd recommend starting out with Back For The First Time with Luda, and Trap Musik with T.I.

Sounds like a plan to me. I've been meaning to peep both. I found links for both albums and am currently burning Luda.

Let me know if you need a link for AD and I'll hook you up. I really think you'd enjoy it.

I'll let you know what I think...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 10:23 pm

Daaaaam! I missed the showdown! Let me add my 2 cents quick I read and skimmed thru all the comments.....

1. Everyone has bias music wise in some form or fashion, maybe it's not bias but mos def preference.

2. Ball & G lyrically seriouly murdas CL Smooth, how did this half azz make the top 50 is beyond me (Pete Rock okay).

3. Chuck D is a average-above average lyricist with a great delivery that I think people get twisted with his lyrical skill along with his content.

4. Outkast are betta than Run Dmc lyrically and equal them influence wise but DMC have the more impact and pioneer status than them. Run has more classic singles and equal classic albums imo but lyrically it's no contest.

5. It is easy to me to name the popular southern/west/midwest artist and say I like that region but imo the ones who can go a tad deeper in the sand are truly down with that region.

Terry, Pounds, Romp, and SRP I cosign most (not all) of your comments and would have debated the same way pretty much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 11:16 pm

KRob86 wrote:
Daaaaam! I missed the showdown! Let me add my 2 cents quick I read and skimmed thru all the comments.....

2. Ball & G lyrically seriouly murdas CL Smooth, how did this half azz make the top 50 is beyond me (Pete Rock okay).

That's BULLSHIT!

CL Smooth is an above average lyricist that borders on great at times. 8 Ball & MJG are average lyricists that border on above average at times.

They might not have as many albums under their belt as Ball and MJG, but the ones they do have are all 4.5 stars or better. Mecca & The Soul Brother is better than anything Ball and MJG ever released.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 11:28 pm

*ahem*

where to start

what biases do i have KJ? that femcees do nothing for me? okay, you can that a bias, but the majority of hip-hop heads feel that way too.

with the exception of a couple femcees, they've all been novelty acts, and for good reason.

and why you even bringing me up when im not talking in this convo?
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 7:25 am

Sorry Kev but while I agree that Outkast is better than Run-D.M.C. lyrically no question about that they do NOT equal them influence and impact wise...Run-D.M.C. is killing them there and they are also killing them with the cohesiveness between the two emcees

Run and Dee operated almost as one person they were so cohesive and when you add in JMJ then it's the most cohesive unit to ever do hip-hop IMO...Big Boi and 'Dre started drifting apart as far back as ATLiens when 'Dre started wearing the turbans...their chemistry while great is nowhere near the equal of Run-D.M.C.

Chuck D is a great lyricist with a great delivery and a great voice....Tupac is an average to above-average lyricist...Scarface is an average to above-average lyricist...Q-Tip is an average to above-average lyricist...Chuck would take out each and every one of these emcees...there's a reason why Ice Cube was influenced so much by Chuck and it wasn't just because of his great voice and his delivery either...Cube was checking out those lyrics as well...
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 7:32 am

Oh and Ball and MJG have never written any lyrics like the ones on "Straighten It Out" or "T.R.O.Y." or "I Gotta Love" or "Let's See What's Next On The Menu?"

CL would get both of those above-average lyricists and he's above average as well...but the way he puts together his words would get those two..Eightball is the stronger one of the two IMO and I don't think CL would have any trouble getting him...

shit basing it on the "fatter" emcees...Heavy D would get him....Chubb Rock would get him...Biggie would KILL him....Big Pun would get him....he would probably get The Fat Boys...

let's stop acting like Ball and MJG are supreme lyricists because that ain't even true...outta the south 'Face would get 'em too...Luda too...'Kast too
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 7:58 am

D.Powell wrote:
Sorry Kev but while I agree that Outkast is better than Run-D.M.C. lyrically no question about that they do NOT equal them influence and impact wise...Run-D.M.C. is killing them there and they are also killing them with the cohesiveness between the two emcees

Run and Dee operated almost as one person they were so cohesive and when you add in JMJ then it's the most cohesive unit to ever do hip-hop IMO...Big Boi and 'Dre started drifting apart as far back as ATLiens when 'Dre started wearing the turbans...their chemistry while great is nowhere near the equal of Run-D.M.C.

Chuck D is a great lyricist with a great delivery and a great voice....Tupac is an average to above-average lyricist...Scarface is an average to above-average lyricist...Q-Tip is an average to above-average lyricist...Chuck would take out each and every one of these emcees...there's a reason why Ice Cube was influenced so much by Chuck and it wasn't just because of his great voice and his delivery either...Cube was checking out those lyrics as well...

I do think Run DMC have been more important to hip hop overall. I mean i can honestly say that if it was not for Run DMC, hip hop as we knew it may not have ever existed. They helped the genre that much. That is the only thing they have over Kast. They went through pitfalls later in their career just like Kast. It may not have been internal problems, but their albums still suffered. The cihesion was not there. They tried too hard to remain popular, and they abandoned their sound to a certain extent. As the 90's went on, JMJ became less of a factor, and that crushed their album quality. JMJ was the heart and soul of that group. I'd give the discography to Kast. Lyrically, it's no contest considering Big Boi would get both Run and DMC, and i haven't even brought up Andre.

Like i said before, I don't think Chuck D was a Great lyricist, but he was a great MC. I don't think Cube was in awe of his lyricism as much as it was the content of the lyrics. I think Cube saw the impact and power Chuck had, and he wanted the same thing.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 02 Jun 2009, 8:12 am

http://www.amazon.com/Chuck-D-Lyrics-Rap-Revolutionary/dp/0974948411/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243944629&sr=1-2

Ya'll see the above link???

If your doubting Chuck's lyrical skills then go read the fuckin book...it contains a bunch of his lyrics and go see if your favorite emcee can match him word for word....dude has a book dedicated to his lyrics...check it out

Terry as far as the cohesiveness of Run-D.M.C. no group can match that man...your talking about later in their career for your point...I'm talking about OVERALL....no group can match their cohesiveness man
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Nominee Day 43
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next