Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

100 Greatest Nominee Day 43

Go down 
+3
Justin Linker
D.Powell
T. Myers
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Top 50, Top 100, or Neither
Top 50
100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Top 100
100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Vote_lcap40%100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 40% [ 8 ]
Neither
100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Vote_lcap30%100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 30% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 20

Poll closed

AuthorMessage

100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 4:57 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Alright Pounds. The first group that comes to mind is Pete Rock and CL Smooth. Now, i know they are one of your favorites, but they never really stood out among the crowded east coast at the time. They haven't really had the impact that Eightball & MJG have had. They don't have the consistent output of quality that Eightball & MJG have. No disrespect to Powell and KJ, but i think they over inflate their overall value because they are east coast heads. They tend to think that any group from New York during the golden era has some sort of universal appeal, and they don't. I can say with almost certainty that hardly no one from the rest of the world was jonsing for another Pete Rock and CL Smooth album. They were just as regional as Eightball & MJG. Pete Rock is a great producer, but outside of T.R.O.Y., what did they really contribute to hip hop as a duo?

Terry, Mecca & The Soul Brother is a CONSENSUS classic. All Souled Out and The Main Ingredient are near classics. I haven't seen anybody rate them below 4 stars.

You say they don't have the output of quality? That's bullshit. I think you've got QUALITY confused with QUANTITY. Pete and CL broke up after their second full length album. Had they stayed together, they'd likely be in many GOAT group discussions. Many magazines and hip-hop pundits even called Mecca & The Soul Brother THE BEST album of 1992, and it's hard to argue against that. I haven't had anybody make that claim about any of 8 Ball & MJG's stuff.

I don't dislike 8 Ball & MJG which is why I voted Top 100, but IMO Pete and CL are much more talented.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:00 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Alright Pounds. The first group that comes to mind is Pete Rock and CL Smooth. Now, i know they are one of your favorites, but they never really stood out among the crowded east coast at the time. They haven't really had the impact that Eightball & MJG have had. They don't have the consistent output of quality that Eightball & MJG have. No disrespect to Powell and KJ, but i think they over inflate their overall value because they are east coast heads. They tend to think that any group from New York during the golden era has some sort of universal appeal, and they don't. I can say with almost certainty that hardly no one from the rest of the world was jonsing for another Pete Rock and CL Smooth album. They were just as regional as Eightball & MJG. Pete Rock is a great producer, but outside of T.R.O.Y., what did they really contribute to hip hop as a duo?

Terry, Mecca & The Soul Brother is a CONSENSUS classic. All Souled Out and The Main Ingredient are near classics. I haven't seen anybody rate them below 4 stars.

You say they don't have the output of quality? That's bullshit. I think you've got QUALITY confused with QUANTITY. Pete and CL broke up after their second full length album. Had they stayed together, they'd likely be in many GOAT group discussions. Many magazines and hip-hop pundits even called Mecca & The Soul Brother THE BEST album of 1992, and it's hard to argue against that. I haven't had anybody make that claim about any of 8 Ball & MJG's stuff.

I don't dislike 8 Ball & MJG which is why I voted Top 100, but IMO Pete and CL are much more talented.

You are not getting it. They have 2.5 albums in the sea of dope material coming out of New York. They were not being checked for in any other region but the east coast. If you want to post a poll to prove that we can, but it won't turn out good. Eightball had much more impact and just as many classics if not more, and they have a consensus classic too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:03 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Powell doesn't know shit about the south... he should just abstain from voting when it comes to southern groups - look at his lame ranks for two of the pioneers and best groups from the south. He probably has some wack ass old east coast shit ahead of them so it is clear he is clueless.

His opinion on southern music is irrelevant.

Says the guy that voted against Jadakiss, Lord Finesse, and Black Moon, all of which are better than 8 Ball & MJG.

That said, I voted them Top 100. They aren't among my favs from the South, but I have enjoyed some of their stuff.

8Ball and MJG would murder all those emcees with their flows and style - those are some boring ass rappers KJ - you know that - get with the real son.

Fuck Outta Here with that bullshit man. 8 Ball & MJG can't fuck with ANY of those guys lyrically. They aren't even among the top 5 lyricists from the South. Let alone the game in general.

Jada and Finesse would MURK them in 8 bars!

Stylistically, 8Ball and MJG have more personality in their pinky than those rappers combined. And you sleeping on 8Ball and MJG as lyricists - I bet you don't own any of their CDs or solo projects...

You always accuse me of that bullshit without fail. Anytime I criticize any of your favorites you say that I don't own any of their shit. I own On Top Of The World, Living Legends, and 8 Ball's solo double disc Lost. All of which I enjoyed, hence the Top 100 vote.

If I didn't like them then I would have voted neither, and if I never heard their shit I wouldn't have voted at all which is what I did with King Tee because I had only heard a few of his tracks. I wouldn't speak on somebody that I didn't know about dude. That's real talk.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jason
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
It Takes A Nation of 1000s?
Jason

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:03 pm

Top 100
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:06 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:

You are not getting it. They have 2.5 albums in the sea of dope material coming out of New York. They were not being checked for in any other region but the east coast. If you want to post a poll to prove that we can, but it won't turn out good. Eightball had much more impact and just as many classics if not more, and they have a consensus classic too.

LOL - So your point is that Ball & G are more groundbreaking than PR&CLS? Maybe because they pioneered hip-hop in Tennessee, but Pete Rock created some groundbreaking shit with his brand of production on that record. And I really wouldn't rather hear anyone else over PR's production other than CL Smooth. Overall, I'd say PR&CLS has the more groundbreaking album, but B&G had the more groundbreaking career. Was your point supposed to be that I'm biased against to the east cause of that? lol
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:09 pm

I'm not disputing Pete Rock's dopeness, and they may have the better album between them(that is a personal choice) I'm just saying their impact isn't as large as Ball & MJG, and i don't see any denying that. I'm saying that they are looked down on because they are not east coast cats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:12 pm

What's the deal Terry? Pounds and I BOTH voted them Top 100, and thus far only 3 people voted neither, if the pace holds up then they're gonna get on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:17 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I'm not disputing Pete Rock's dopeness, and they may have the better album between them(that is a personal choice) I'm just saying their impact isn't as large as Ball & MJG, and i don't see any denying that. I'm saying that they are looked down on because they are not east coast cats.

It is a personal preference.

I agree 8Ball & G has more impact on hip-hop overall. They carved out their own niche where PR&CLS's niche had already exploded. lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:18 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
What's the deal Terry? Pounds and I BOTH voted them Top 100, and thus far only 3 people voted neither, if the pace holds up then they're gonna get on.

Exactly, and I would have voted (wasn't here yet) top 100 for PR&CLS for lack of catalog. lol
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:31 pm

U really thought those Bam pics were funny Shon??

that was called respect youngster, from that lil ass boy named southern rap PRO

he's been a "pro" at not being funny but for some reason Shon thinks he is

I'm starting to wonder about you Shon...lol

Anyway Pete Rock alone squashes Ball and MJG and has had a bigger impact on the music then both of them put together and when you add in the quality of his music then it's called MURDER

Ball and MJG are good but I don't think they are better than 3-6 Mafia, who of course is another southern group

they are not better than Outkast...not better than Goodie Mob, Geto Boys at least IMO....and these are all southern groups...no way they are better than Pete Rock And CL Smooth, EPMD, De La Soul, Run-D.M.C., Public Enemy, Heavy D and The Boyz, Brand Nubian, Gangstarr, Eric B and Rakim, Kool G Rap and Polo, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan......I mean I could keep going but the point is well served...again this is all my opinion on shit....just like everybody else has theirs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:36 pm

Let me put this shit out there... in all honesty:

Pete Rock and Boreman
Kool G Rap and Polo
Gangstarr
Eric B and Rakim

WERE NOT REALLY GROUPS! One Emcee - One Producer... these are all just glorified solo albums.

And as far as everything Outkast beats out all those groups save for Wu-Tang
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:37 pm

D.Powell wrote:

Anyway Pete Rock alone squashes Ball and MJG and has had a bigger impact on the music then both of them put together and when you add in the quality of his music then it's called MURDER

Ball and MJG are good but I don't think they are better than 3-6 Mafia, who of course is another southern group

they are not better than Outkast...not better than Goodie Mob, Geto Boys at least IMO....and these are all southern groups...no way they are better than Pete Rock And CL Smooth, EPMD, De La Soul, Run-D.M.C., Public Enemy, Heavy D and The Boyz, Brand Nubian, Gangstarr, Eric B and Rakim, Kool G Rap and Polo, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu-Tang Clan......I mean I could keep going but the point is well served...again this is all my opinion on shit....just like everybody else has theirs

8 Ball and MJG are better than 3-6 Mafia IMO, but I co-sign the rest of what you said.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:38 pm

And that's your devilish opinion SRP...

those others that I mentioned fit into the category of a duo...a DUO SRP...

and Outkast is not better than Run-D.M.C. IMO..your crazy as hell on that one man..LMAO!

Oh shit and they aren't better than Public Enemy or A Tribe Called Quest either..and maybe not even EPMD..I gotta think about that one...lol

Last edited by D.Powell on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:40 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Pete Rock and Boreman
Kool G Rap and Polo
Gangstarr
Eric B and Rakim

WERE NOT REALLY GROUPS! One Emcee - One Producer... these are all just glorified solo albums.

Run DMC, ATCQ, and Public Enemy MURK Outkast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:40 pm

Wow -You're the crazy one... Lyrically, flow, everything! Andre and Big Boi blow Run DMC out of the water... and Organized Noize production is 1000X better than Run DMC... try again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Pete Rock and Boreman
Kool G Rap and Polo
Gangstarr
Eric B and Rakim

Run DMC, ATCQ, and Public Enemy MURK Outkast.

Wow KJ - you falling off the deep end... Outkast easily murks all those groups in every category. PE gives them their biggest run as far as impact but Chuck D sounds like soulja boy compared to Dre and Big Boi.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:43 pm

Lyrically 'Kast is better than Run-D.M.C. I agree with that but not overall as a group..

Big Boi and Andre can't buy that cohesiveness that Run and Dee and Jay had.... and not one Outkast beat is better than the beats for both Rockbox and Sucker MC's....

but this shit is about Ball and MJG being better not Outkast...let's not lose focus SRP
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:44 pm

Chuck D sounds like Souljah Boy compared to Dre and Big Boi???

LMAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Clueless Joe strikes again!

Last edited by Steve on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : you fucked up the forum)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:45 pm

Ball and G aren't better than outkast but they are top 50-100 at least.

Kast is the best group ever outside of Wu-Tang and UGK so it is tough competition.

And Big Boi and Dre flow better together than Run DMC ever did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:47 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Wow -You're the crazy one... Lyrically, flow, everything! Andre and Big Boi blow Run DMC out of the water... and Organized Noize production is 1000X better than Run DMC... try again

Rick Rubin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Organized Noize

Andre and Big Boi are better lyricists, but they didn't change the game like Run-DMC did. Run DMC's first three album are comparable to Outkast's. And ATCQ's Low End Theory is better than all of Outkast's albums. Aquemini is the only one I'd say is as good as ATCQ's first 3.

Chuck D IMO is a better lyricist than EITHER Three Stacks or Big Boi.

Don't get me wrong, I love Outkast, they're among my Top 10 groups, possibly Top 5, but they're not the greatest IMO.

And ALL of those groups Powell mentioned are better than UGK.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:52 pm

LMAO... you guys have just proven your biases with all those statements.

Run DMC changed the game only because they were first. Outkast changed the game in much bigger and better ways later in their careers.

To even compare Chuck D - an average rapper at best - with Outkast as lyricists is just idiotic.

I expect the hate for UGK, but for you to not see Outkast dopeness objectively makes you both irrelevant - Powell's opinion on rap outside of New York during the summer of 1986 was already irrelevant, but KJ you are dissapointing with your blindness.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 5:54 pm

"U really thought those Bam pics were funny Shon??

I'm starting to wonder about you Shon...lol"

I thought it was funny. Forgive me, oh great one.

But anyways,

"And ATCQ's Low End Theory is better than all of Outkast's albums. Aquemini is the only one I'd say is as good as ATCQ's first 3."

That's opinion, KJ. I think "ATLiens" is the best album between the two groups. "Midnight Marauders" is better than "The Low End Theory", too, IMO. MM and ATLiens are both in my top 10 of all time, though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:03 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
LMAO... you guys have just proven your biases with all those statements.

Run DMC changed the game only because they were first. Outkast changed the game in much bigger and better ways later in their careers.

To even compare Chuck D - an average rapper at best - with Outkast as lyricists is just idiotic.

I expect the hate for UGK, but for you to not see Outkast dopeness objectively makes you both irrelevant - Powell's opinion on rap outside of New York during the summer of 1986 was already irrelevant, but KJ you are dissapointing with your blindness.

Chuck D an AVERAGE RAPPER?? Dude you're on CRACK!!! Chuck D is one of the best there ever did it! PE's first FOUR albums are classics.

I never said that Outkast wasn't dope. I just like those three groups more.

Aquemini is one of my Top 20 albums, I also enjoy Southernplayalistic and ATLiens, but I like The Low End Theory, Nation Of Millions, and Raising Hell more.

I'd take those three groups over Wu-Tang as well, I personally like Wu better as solo artists than as a group. I love 36 Chambers and Wu Forever, but the rest of their discography as a group is sub-par IMO.

As for UGK, I LOVE Ridin Dirty. Super Tight and UGK For Life are bangers as well. But they're probably in my Top 15 as far as groups go.

The reason I came at you like that SRP, is because you were acting as if the groups Powell mentioned were sub-par which couldn't be further from the truth.

I respect your opinions even though I don't always agree with them. It's just that you and I are both strong minded dudes, and that can cause heated debates at times. It's all gravy though.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:04 pm

Outkast vs. Run-DMC? I wouldn't want to call it. Even if Run-DMC is more musically groundbreaking, it's hard to deny how groundbreaking Outkast is in a mainstream sense. If it were me, I'd have to say I bump 'Kast more.

ATCQ's "Midnight Marauders" & "The Low End Theory" are still albums I like more out of both groups though. But with the 'Kast, it's extremely close. Run-DMC doesn't quite make my top 10 for albums, but it's certainly not because they weren't super groundbreaking albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Chuck D - an average rapper at best

Laughing
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:05 pm

Big Boi and 'Dre did not "flow" together better than Run-D.M.C....can't agree with you there..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:06 pm

It's all good - I love Chuck D - he is personally in my top ten list - but I don't make him out for more than he is...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:06 pm

D.Powell wrote:

I hate to break your heart, but Pete Rock is great, he had a small impact compared to Eightball & MJG. Hell Pete Rock isn't even in the top 5 most influential producer category. That would Be Marley Marl, Rick Rubin, Dre, Premier, and RZA. Ball & MJG influenced an entire region. and none of those other groups are the topic at hand. The topic was RompedOut was saying cookie cutter groups have ng more respect than Ball & MJG. That comment was almost certainly directed at Powell. Powell is always the first person to get on SRP about his bias, but he will go to the grave thinking that Pete Rock and CL Smooth are better for no other reason except that they are from New York. CL Smooth would get murked by Eightball and MJG. Pete Rock is that Dous saving grace. That should tell you how dope Pete Rock is. So to Pounds and KJ this was never really directed to you as it was others. Although KJ you know as well as i do that you like Pete Rock & CL Smooth more, and it has as much to do with talent as it does location.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:10 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
It's all good - I love Chuck D - he is personally in my top ten list - but I don't make him out for more than he is...

If he's in your Top 10, then you can't honestly think he's average.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:12 pm

T. Myers wrote:
D.Powell wrote:

I hate to break your heart, but Pete Rock is great, he had a small impact compared to Eightball & MJG. Hell Pete Rock isn't even in the top 5 most influential producer category. That would Be Marley Marl, Rick Rubin, Dre, Premier, and RZA. Ball & MJG influenced an entire region. and none of those other groups are the topic at hand. The topic was RompedOut was saying cookie cutter groups have ng more respect than Ball & MJG. That comment was almost certainly directed at Powell. Powell is always the first person to get on SRP about his bias, but he will go to the grave thinking that Pete Rock and CL Smooth are better for no other reason except that they are from New York. CL Smooth would get murked by Eightball and MJG. Pete Rock is that Dous saving grace. That should tell you how dope Pete Rock is. So to Pounds and KJ this was never really directed to you as it was others. Although KJ you know as well as i do that you like Pete Rock & CL Smooth more, and it has as much to do with talent as it does location.

I'd easily put Pete Rock up there in the top 5, personally. In fact, I may like him more than all those producers you listed. And that my friend has nothing to do with location. I'm surprised you even included that last sentence. You really believe that? You may, but the one's who like Pete Rock more won't. Because we obviously find more to love about his work than you do. And vice versa with the others.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:14 pm

Pounds i don't think those are the top 5 producers of all time. I think they are the top 5 most influential producers of all time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:16 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Pounds i don't think those are the top 5 producers of all time. I think they are the top 5 most influential producers of all time.

Well, he belongs up there as well IMO, but I know he doesn't have the sales to warrant it. What about the location vs. talent thing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:19 pm

Shon wrote:

But anyways,

"And ATCQ's Low End Theory is better than all of Outkast's albums. Aquemini is the only one I'd say is as good as ATCQ's first 3."

That's opinion, KJ. I think "ATLiens" is the best album between the two groups. "Midnight Marauders" is better than "The Low End Theory", too, IMO. MM and ATLiens are both in my top 10 of all time, though

I feel ya Shon, I can understand why some people hail MM as ATCQ's best, but I like Low End Theory more because Phife Dawg seemed to be ON FIRE with that album. That album was the best he's ever sounded, he was on par with Q-Tip, especially on tracks like Buggin Out, Butter, and Scenario. MM is in my top 20, but I like The Low End Theory and Aquemini more. I also like Southernplayalistic better than ATLiens because of the rawness.

All of those are great albums though, and consensus classics so it's all gravy.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:20 pm

I was saying that there is not enough of a talent gap one way or another for Powell to rank Pete Rock and CL Smooth as top 100, and then rank Eightball & MJG as top 200. The main thing separating them is their geopraphical location in regards to Powell. I have no doubt that location is a major influence, but for some reason he and KJ to a lesser extent do not. I agree that Pete Rock is an important producer too. I was just saying that his greatness does not mean completely mean he made a huge impact.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:23 pm

T. Myers wrote:
Although KJ you know as well as i do that you like Pete Rock & CL Smooth more, and it has as much to do with talent as it does location.

That's not true at all Terry. I like Pete and CL more because I feel that their albums are doper. Mecca & The Soul Brother is in my personal Top 10, and CL Smooth has as much to do with that as Pete Rock does. I feel that CL is much more talented than you give him credit for.

That location thing is BS, because Dr Dre is my 2nd favorite producer of all time behind DJ Premier, and he's from the West Coast.

Last edited by KJ Styles on Mon 01 Jun 2009, 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:24 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I was saying that there is not enough of a talent gap one way or another for Powell to rank Pete Rock and CL Smooth as top 100, and then rank Eightball & MJG as top 200. The main thing separating them is their geopraphical location in regards to Powell. I have no doubt that location is a major influence, but for some reason he and KJ to a lesser extent do not. I agree that Pete Rock is an important producer too. I was just saying that his greatness does not mean completely mean he made a huge impact.

Well, that's what I thought you were saying. But how do you know Powell is voting on pure influence? I think both Powell & KJ actually like Pete Rock & CL's (among other artists') material more. I mean, was there a doubt in your mind? It's not geographical location, it's a complete overhaul of sound.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:25 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
T. Myers wrote:
Although KJ you know as well as i do that you like Pete Rock & CL Smooth more, and it has as much to do with talent as it does location.

That's not true at all Terry. I like Pete and CL more because I feel that their albums are doper. Mecca & The Soul Brother is in my personal Top 10, and CL Smooth has as much to do with that as Pete Rock does.

That location thing is BS, because Dr Dre is my 2nd favorite producer of all time behind DJ Premier, and he's from the West Coast.

lol - we posted at the same time...
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:26 pm

That is BS KJ. If you lived in the south, you would not feel the same way. Why you guys don't see your location as an influence is beyond me. I'm sure Pounds would say the same thing about his hometown rappers. It is what it is.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:27 pm

It's not purely on influence, but it very well could be a deciding factor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:29 pm

Pete Rock's influence is very limited. In fact even on the east coast it is limited. You see far more people trying to mimic Primo, Dre, Kanye, Rza, even the Heatmakers than they do Pete Rock.

He was groundbreaking in bring in jazzy elements to rap music partly, but others were doing the same at the same time. He has one classic influential song. His career after CL Smooth was nowhere near the level it was of the true greats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:37 pm

T. Myers wrote:
That is BS KJ. If you lived in the south, you would not feel the same way. Why you guys don't see your location as an influence is beyond me. I'm sure Pounds would say the same thing about his hometown rappers. It is what it is.

How is it BS? I never said that 8 Ball and MJG weren't dope. I did vote them Top 100, but I think that there are groups better. I agree with SRP in a sense that Pete and CL are more of a solo act with a producer than a group though. That said, they're awesome IMO.

You're right, if I was from the South then I probably would think differently. But I have love for a lot of Southern MC's. Outkast is a Top 5-6 group for me, and Scarface is one of my GOAT's. Little Brother is the best post 2000 group IMO, and they're slowly creepin up my fav groups list.

While we're at it, I'll list my fav groups....

1. A Tribe Called Quest
2. Run DMC
3. The Roots
4. Public Enemy
5. Outkast
6. Wu-Tang Clan (I like them better individually than as a group, 36 Chambers and Wu Tang Forever are the only group albums from them that I like)
7. De La Soul
8. Gangstarr
9. Little Brother
10. EPMD
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:39 pm

I know KJ, and it's all good. Some people just don't comprehend bias, and they only see things in black and white. That's a dope list of groups too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:41 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:
Pete Rock's influence is very limited. In fact even on the east coast it is limited. You see far more people trying to mimic Primo, Dre, Kanye, Rza, even the Heatmakers than they do Pete Rock.

He was groundbreaking in bring in jazzy elements to rap music partly, but others were doing the same at the same time. He has one classic influential song. His career after CL Smooth was nowhere near the level it was of the true greats.

His career after CL Smooth is STILL booming! He isn't the most influential producer, but he's definitely among the dopest.
Back to top Go down
T. Myers
One Of A Kind
One Of A Kind
T. Myers

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:42 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

His career after CL Smooth is STILL booming! He isn't the most influential producer, but he's definitely among the dopest.

I'd agree with that. I want to hear what he did with those Dilla beats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:44 pm

T. Myers wrote:
I know KJ, and it's all good. Some people just don't comprehend bias, and they only see things in black and white. That's a dope list of groups too.

Thanks Terry. I just think it's lame that me and Powell get grilled for our supposed biases, but Steve and SRP don't.

For the record, even though me and Powell like many of the same artists, we don't always agree with each other. I'm sure that you already know that, just wanted to say that to the masses that don't know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:45 pm

I get grilled all the time KJ, I just don't have bias.

I think Pete Rock is dope, but I was just stating he is not influential as people like to make him out to be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:48 pm

T. Myers wrote:

Of course people are partial to their (or a specific) region. I cosign that. If KJ grew up in the south, he'd be a completely different person. But just because you support a certain region should not render your opinion invalid or inferior. I know you didn't use those terms...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:49 pm

Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Now you and I both know that's bullshit SRP. You favor Southern artists just as much as Powell favors NY artists. You're a Gucci Mane fan for crying out loud! And you hate female rappers just as much as Steve does.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:51 pm

T. Myers wrote:
KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

I'd agree with that. I want to hear what he did with those Dilla beats.

I can't wait to hear that. I've been hearing great feedback about the leak from other forums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 01 Jun 2009, 6:52 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
Southern Rap Pro wrote:

Now you and I both know that's bullshit SRP. You favor Southern artists just as much as Powell favors NY artists. You're a Gucci Mane fan for crying out loud! And you hate female rappers just as much as Steve does.

I don't hate female rappers as much as I don't find them interesting.

And I don't favor artists from any coast...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 100 Greatest Nominee Day 43   100 Greatest Nominee Day 43 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

100 Greatest Nominee Day 43
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next