Hip-Hop 4 Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hip-Hop 4 Life

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?

Go down 
+6
D.Powell
yOGi420™
Funk Seoul Brother
Zuri The Ghost A.B.N.
Shaun
Laced With Slang
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Who do you got?
Kno (Cunninlynguists)
Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_lcap22%Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_rcap
 22% [ 7 ]
Stoupe (JMT)
Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_lcap25%Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 8 ]
9th Wonder
Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_lcap38%Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_rcap
 38% [ 12 ]
Black Milk
Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_lcap15%Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Vote_rcap
 15% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Empty
PostSubject: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:32 pm

All of these producers besides Black Milk have produced albums consider by some to be underground classics, but all of them are and have been prevelant underground producers, especially post 2000. Who is the best in your opinion.

my choice:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:36 pm

Kno by a country mile, he never laid a wack beat and all these other cats have dropped quite a few.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:38 pm

I'd take Kno, also, with Black Milk being second. 9th doesn't do much for me, and I'm not as familiar with Stoupe as I probably should be
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:39 pm

lol Steve knows exactly where this topic originated
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:40 pm

Hey! I was there, too. Lol
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:42 pm

not only are Stoupe's beats unbelievable, and layered beautifully, he is a perfectionist when it comes to crafting full albums and thats what gives him the nod imo, with Kno being a close second IMO

also, Stoupe is literally the only producer that could tailor his beats so perfectly to an MC like Vinnie Paz....not gonna lie it was weird not hearing that motherfucker on Stoupe's solo, almost like something was missing even though some of the mc's on it were better...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:43 pm

9th Wonder all day!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:45 pm

Kool John, how much work from the other producers have you heard?
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:47 pm

Ill Bill could lace Paz with a decent album, IMO. Did you hear the AOTP album, 'Ritual Of Battle'? 'Gun Ballad' and 'Seven' were produced by Ill Bill, and they were two of the best beats on there, IMO
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:49 pm

yea, i think Paz and Bill are working on a collab album together it should be interesting...i hope Bill goes back to is WWWB nd Nonphixion style though, but either way thats definitly gonna be an album you dont play around the bitches lol
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:50 pm

Ill Bill is mad underrated as a producer, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 8:52 pm

i agree with that
Back to top Go down
Zuri The Ghost A.B.N.
Keep It 100
Keep It 100
Zuri The Ghost A.B.N.

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 11:18 pm

Im bias so it's 9th for me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeSun 10 May 2009, 11:20 pm

DOOM shoulda been mentioned. As well as Celph and couple others...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:07 am

Right now...it has to be Black Milk for me. I love checking for JMT, I see the layering you are talking about, but i heard the last JMT album and it didn't really do anything for me musically. Black Milk's beats have been all nasty for quite sometime now from Tronic to The Preface.

Over the course of one's career i gotta go with 9th, but thats weighted heavily off of his work with Little Brother.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:59 am

Sabzi!

Black Milk easily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 1:12 am

this is what i would have said, only not as good...

"not only are Stoupe's beats unbelievable, and layered beautifully, he is a perfectionist when it comes to crafting full albums and thats what gives him the nod imo, with Kno being a close second IMO"

these are all great producers though, like really fucking good producers. i just have to go with stoupe.

Top 5 All Time... take that steve
Back to top Go down
Funk Seoul Brother
Osama Bin Diesel
Funk Seoul Brother

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 8:18 am

Kno gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
yOGi420™
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
Backwoods Burna, Mac & Murda
yOGi420™

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 9:19 am

STOUPE!!! thats an easy 1...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 9:32 am

Ill Bill's dope, but not as good as Necro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 10:03 am

Stoupe, wow, we have a lot of basement dwelling hip-hop heads here huh????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 10:24 am

I know Stoupe is the most underground of underground shit.
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 10:45 am

Quite literally, too. According to Paz (according to Slang)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 10:53 am

I don't know what you meant by that...
Back to top Go down
Shaun
I'm Ghetto Platinum
I'm Ghetto Platinum
Shaun

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 11:00 am

Gambit said that Vinnie Paz said that Stoupe sits in his basement all day and finds samples
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:02 pm

KJ Styles wrote:
9th Wonder all day!

I agree. While I haven't heard as much Stoupe, I've heard enough to know I like 9th more. Kno is a close second IMO.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:05 pm

im glad this poll is close
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:11 pm

Look ya'll, 9th Wonder isn't fucking underground. You do a beat for Jay-Z, guess what, you made it. Sorry. Stoupe isn't underground. Look at his solo and tell me how many "underground" artists are on there, maybe half? Exactly. I'll say Black Milk is borderline depening on how you look at guys like Royce and Bishop Lamont. This is kinda ridiculous.

Slang, no disrespect, you're still my dude.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:21 pm

okey, they might not be "underground" right now, but they are and mainly were some of the biggest names amongst underground producers for a while....and its the fact that there first breakthrough i guess was an underground album and they all sustained a lot of underground success...

Can you really see mainstream hip hop fans buying 9th Wonder or Little Brother albums? yet alone a Black Milk or JMT album?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:27 pm

JMT? Yes, I know plenty of east coast heads that only buy JMT records but don't listen to Demigodz or AOTP or shit like that. They don't listen to "underground" shit like MF Doom but still like JMT. 9th Wonder? Absolutely!! I'm convinced that his fans are predominantely mainstream listeners. Look at who big ups Little Brother. Talib Kweli, Mos Def fans, and those dudes haven't been underground since the 90's.
It's a matter of opinion and I'll continue to respect yours.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 12:32 pm

Thats true, I guess the point of this thread was just to see peoples opinions on these 4 very prevelant "underground" producers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 1:02 pm

fuck these choices...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 1:27 pm

Kno all the way. Stoupe is dope, too. Although sometimes his production gets a little.....I dunno. Sometimes there's little variety in his overall "sound". I dig Black Milk and 9th also, though I'm not up on them as much as Stoupe and Kno.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeMon 11 May 2009, 4:34 pm

9th, Black Milk and Marco Polo. Top 3 Presently.
Back to top Go down
D.Powell
NYC's Finest
D.Powell

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 5:18 pm

9th is straight killin these other dudes and I've heard material from all of them

"The Formula" alone is killin anything they ever did....let's not add "The Minstrel Show" to it...lol

9th by 15 football fields!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 5:47 pm

Steve wrote:
Kool John, how much work from the other producers have you heard?

I've heard them all SS, Black Milk is 2nd on my list, but I chose 9th Wonder because he's very much like Primo and Marley Marl in that he makes the MC's that he works with sound even BETTER than they actually are. Phonte is a dope MC, but 9th made him sound like he was one of the best in the game at times, much like Primo has done for Guru.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 5:52 pm

oh really? what work of theirs do you own?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 5:58 pm

I own "The Preface" by Elzhi, and Will Rap For Food by Cunninlynguists.

That's irrelvant though, what's important is WHY I picked 9th, which I explained with my last post. 9th leads this poll currently, so that further validates my point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:06 pm

LMAO...Will Rap For Food, Kno's worst produced album, and Preface, which isn't Black's best work...where's the JMT? Where are the 4 other CL albums? Where are the two Black Milk solos? You are not qualified to weigh in on this conversation AT ALL dude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:07 pm

Kno's beats have gotten MUCH better since Will Rap. That album was like.....2001? lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:09 pm

Why the fuck am I not qualified?? I've heard LOTS of their work, those are just the only works that I own.

BTW I thought Preface was AWESOME! About 4.25 stars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:11 pm

because you don't have their work, and what work have you heard?
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:13 pm

i dont believe you guys are hatin on Will Rap for Food i love those beats...not my fav by him but prob my 2nd fav from Kno
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:14 pm

Slang Editorial wrote:
i dont believe you guys are hatin on Will Rap for Food i love those beats...not my fav by him but prob my 2nd fav from Kno

Not hatin. I love Will Rap. Just saying his beats have gotten better over time.
Back to top Go down
Laced With Slang
Barack O-Donna
Barack O-Donna
Laced With Slang

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:17 pm

yea hes overall gotten better technically speaking and more polished but the beats on Will Rap were just fucking Raw
Back to top Go down
arokone
Jazz Fiend
arokone

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:20 pm

I dig all the producers on the list, but I'ma have to go with 9th.

Peace
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:42 pm

Steve wrote:
because you don't have their work, and what work have you heard?

Why the fuck are you grilling me? I've heard Black Milk's work with Slum Village, as well as Pharoahe Monch, Canibus, and J Dilla. A friend of mine has one of his solo albums.

Kno is a hot producer, and I've heard other work from Cunnilynguists but WRFF is the only one I own. I like that album though so I'll probably cop other stuff from them.

I'm not quite as familiar with Stoupe, but I liked the beats he's done with Canibus. Rip The Jacker is my favorite Canibus album.

It's fucking LAME that you're giving me shit, but aren't fucking with the other 7 people that picked 9th Wonder as well. I think all of the above producers are talented, but I picked 9th because of his ability to make MC's sound like superstars. The Minstrel Show and The Listening are both hip-hop classics and two of the best post 2000 albums. So there you have it, you can get off my bozack now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 6:47 pm

Neither the Minstel OR the Listening are classics in my book, and I wasn't "attacking" you, I was just asking you questions man. I know based on your listening styles and habbits you likely hadn't heard much of their work.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 7:06 pm

Steve wrote:
Neither the Minstel OR the Listening are classics in my book, and I wasn't "attacking" you, I was just asking you questions man. I know based on your listening styles and habbits you likely hadn't heard much of their work.

That's a misconception that you and some others in here have about me. They think that just because I talk more about mainstream artists, that I don't listen to underground hip-hop. I do listen to it, it's just that over the last few years, only a few have really stood out. Little Brother is one of those stand out groups IMO. I also like One Be Lo, Immortal Technique, Elzhi, Jurassic 5 (wish they'd get back together), Brother Ali, and your boy Vakill among others.
Back to top Go down
Norfeest
What's NXET?
What's NXET?
Norfeest

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009, 7:36 pm

Am I the only one here that doesn't dig Black Milk whatsoever?

My vote went to 9th too...but Stoupe only missed my vote by a hair...

Kno, I'm not so familiar with. I have two Cunninlynguists albums (APOS & Dirty Acres) and rarely spin them. Not that they are bad...in fact, they're pretty damn good...but they don't leave much of an impression on me...

Edit: I'm downloading a high quality torrent of everything they ever dropped. I'll begin my refresher course when it's done.
Back to top Go down
http://throwbackjones.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?   Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best underground producer out of these choices, in your opinion?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next